I am fuming!!

Loulou2002

Visit site
So I'm at work (work 1 mile from the yard) when one of my liveries pulls in. First reaction is oh god whats happened? Her dog, a nutty springer has killed our guinea pigs! She's really upset and really sorry for whats happened but im so angry!
I have three guinea pigs that were unwanted by my friends children so we gave them a home. They go out in a run in the day and we put them away in the afternoon. Last few days they have been in because of the rain but today was sunny so though they'd be fine out.
I know dogs do this but the reason I'm cross is i specifically asked her not to bring the dog down and let it run loose ( as i caught it trying to get in the run in the summer).........i said she can take it over the back field if she has it on a lead. I have had no problems with dogs in the yard before this and at the moment she's the only livery with a dog so its not like its one rule for her and a separate rule for everyone else. Just annoys me when people do what they like just because they pay you a bit of livery money! Rant over...... off to dig a hole :-(

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Poor piggies. At least she came and told you rather than trying to blame it on a fox or some such.

hnmisty

Visit site
How sad :( Poor little piggies.

As Jemima said, at least she came to tell you. We have had quite a few dogs chase our sheep (and have had a few killed). My dad would usually go absolutely nuts if he found the owner. However, one time this lady's dog had got in with the sheep and had chased one into the pond, where it promptly got stuck and would have drowned if she hadn't been discovered. Luckily my dad was up shortly after, and jumped in the pond. The lady had actually bothered to chase after her dog (most don't) and jumped in with him. It's a manky pond, so I think his anger was somewhat lessened.

Did she tell you how it happened? Maybe the dog got off his lead somehow.

*hugs*

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Being honest whats done is done but id just ban all dogs from the yard completely. I honestly dont believe yards are a place for dogs. I took my dogs to yhe farm where my horses were but they were kept with me and came out hacks with me. There were farm dogs running round the yard anyway and the farm cats were canny enough to stay out of the way.

Proper livery yards IMO are a different story especially if there are other pets around.

She probably feels awful for whats happened but I suppose its up to you what happens now and if you want recompense from her.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I would be fuming as well and to be honest I would be banning the dog from the yard if not telling her to sling her hook! Yes accidents happen but unless it slipped its lead she has blatently ignored your rules which is totally disrepectful and if the dog had slipped the lead why didnt she get it under control immediatley :)

WelshD

Visit site
She must have been deading telling you, cannot have been at all easy so I would cut her a tiny bit of slack for that but would ban the dog completely from the yard

Loulou2002

Visit site
How sad :( Poor little piggies.

As Jemima said, at least she came to tell you. We have had quite a few dogs chase our sheep (and have had a few killed). My dad would usually go absolutely nuts if he found the owner. However, one time this lady's dog had got in with the sheep and had chased one into the pond, where it promptly got stuck and would have drowned if she hadn't been discovered. Luckily my dad was up shortly after, and jumped in the pond. The lady had actually bothered to chase after her dog (most don't) and jumped in with him. It's a manky pond, so I think his anger was somewhat lessened.

Did she tell you how it happened? Maybe the dog got off his lead somehow.

*hugs*
She had it running loose, when i told her six months ago i didn't want the dog at the yard unless its on a lead and only on our big field at the back, So annoying when people choose to ignore what you say!

Loulou2002

Visit site
I would be fuming as well and to be honest I would be banning the dog from the yard if not telling her to sling her hook! Yes accidents happen but unless it slipped its lead she has blatently ignored your rules which is totally disrepectful and if the dog had slipped the lead why didnt she get it under control immediatley :)

Yes , Exactly!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Poor piggy. I lost one of mine to my daughters visiting Pomeranian dog last year. Although the pigs were fenced off and we were watching the young dog, he got through in a flash and killed Mojo.
It was instant and there wasn't a mark on him, and the Pomeranian was quite puzzled as to why his new playmate wasn't playing any more.

It's really upsetting and particularly for you, as you'd given instructions about having the dog on a lead but at least the livery had the decency to come and tell you. I'm sure she won't let the dog loose again.
However, a ban on all dogs is fair enough, many yards do and as a dog owning livery, I don't mind. Its fair enough.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Personally given you had specifically asked her not to do it for a very obvious safety reason and she's completely ignored that and as a result several animals have died, then I would not want her on my livery yard. It would be different if it happened and it wasn't something specifically banned but in this case....I would if it were me be giving her notice as I wouldn't trust her to think she knows better when given a clear safety related instruction/rule.

Of course she may have learned a bitter lesson, it's up to you whether you think she is now 100% reliable.....

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
I'm so sorry. Poor little piggies. They are the best pets - so cuddly. Sounds like they had a nice life with you. I would ban the woman and her dog if it was me as this would devastate me.

Please consider adopting guineas again in future though - rescues are overflowing at the moment and caring homes much needed.

Tiffany

Visit site
Like others say, at least she told you face to face and I'm sure she'll be feeling pretty mortified at the moment. Agree dog shouldn't be off lead if she's been asked to keep it on but, if she was on her own and thought the guinea pigs were in she may have thought it won't do any harm. I'm not saying that's right and she now knows her decision was the wrong one.

Poor little guineas :(

Baggage

Visit site
Oh no poor pig pigs :(

Agree with other at least she was honest but I would now be enforcing a ban on all dogs at the yard. They just don't need to be there.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I would be absolutely seething. How could she not have heard the killing going on and grabbed the dog? At least saved one or two. You asked her not to allow her dog loose on your yard. She obviously thought you would not know as you weren't there. You can't trust her. I guess that she did come and tell you. She could have pretended it was a fox. But I would be sorely tempted to give her notice to leave the yard as you cannot trust her.

Loulou2002

Visit site
this I hate dogs on yards and if this one managed to get in the run and kill 3 G pigs then it can't have been being supervised either

Luckily one has survived and seems ok....... But as another poster suggested i'll go to a rescue and see if i can get her a friend for company. I'm just so annoyed that because i'm not there in the day ( work full time) they feel they can just do what they like.......Makes you wonder what else goes on!

ridefast

Visit site
Accidents happen but this could have been avoided if she had simply followed your rules. I would ban dogs completely from the yard and either ask her to leave or let her know she is on thin ice and final warning etc etc. She might feel bad but she broke the rules.

mjcssjw2

Visit site
accidents do happen, but she has obviously decided she knows better than you! as you say what else is she doing without you knowing!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Your surviving pig will be pretty shocked and lonely. Until you get a companion, try to give him as much contact as possible.
I usually have two pigs but when one has died, - fortunately only once in the same circumstances as yours, I get another from a rescue. It can be tricky introducing a mate, particularly with boars, but mine have always been so glad to have a friend that it's not been a problem. You could bring him along to meet a potential friend, a very young one might be your best bet for being accepted.
As you do, I now keep 3 pigs to avoid the loneliness problem when one dies.
If its any small consolation, your pigs death was probably instant. I'm really sorry though, they are such great little characters.

siennamum

Visit site
As others have said I would ban her dog completely, if not actually tell her to sling her hook. I think it is disgraceful that she ignored your request and has now killed your animals. It wasn't just one of those unfortunate things, she is responsible - I'm mad on your behalf.

Loulou2002

Visit site
Your surviving pig will be pretty shocked and lonely. Until you get a companion, try to give him as much contact as possible.
I usually have two pigs but when one has died, - fortunately only once in the same circumstances as yours, I get another from a rescue. It can be tricky introducing a mate, particularly with boars, but mine have always been so glad to have a friend that it's not been a problem. You could bring him along to meet a potential friend, a very young one might be your best bet for being accepted.
As you do, I now keep 3 pigs to avoid the loneliness problem when one dies.
If its any small consolation, your pigs death was probably instant. I'm really sorry though, they are such great little characters.

The one thats left was the youngest one and we have only had her about 4 months and the other two I'd had for 3 years........they were so tame and very spoilt! I've rung a local rescue and they have some there but i cant get there till Friday.

Loulou2002

Visit site
Thanks everyone, yes I'm going to have a chat with her. Ive banned the dog....again! she is that type that just does what she likes anyway so i should have known better!

SadKen

Visit site
Awww poor little guys! I have a real soft spot for guineas.

I'd say in no uncertain terms that you are very upset by this and the dog must not be brought to the yard again under any circumstances; no more walking on lead or waiting by the stable or ANYTHING. Tell her if you see the dog there again you will be forced to give her notice, and make sure she knows how cross you are. I think it's appalling. If my dog killed YO's pets I'd give notice myself from embarrasment.

Hackie

Visit site
Luckily one has survived and seems ok....... But as another poster suggested i'll go to a rescue and see if i can get her a friend for company. I'm just so annoyed that because i'm not there in the day ( work full time) they feel they can just do what they like.......Makes you wonder what else goes on!

Thanks everyone, yes I'm going to have a chat with her. Ive banned the dog....again! she is that type that just does what she likes anyway so i should have known better!

Unless you are desperate for liveries, I'd be tempted to give her notice. She obviously does what she pleases when you aren't there.

Loulou2002

Visit site
Awww poor little guys! I have a real soft spot for guineas.

I'd say in no uncertain terms that you are very upset by this and the dog must not be brought to the yard again under any circumstances; no more walking on lead or waiting by the stable or ANYTHING. Tell her if you see the dog there again you will be forced to give her notice, and make sure she knows how cross you are. I think it's appalling. If my dog killed YO's pets I'd give notice myself from embarrasment.

Thank you......the last bit of your post actually made me chuckle. Yes i have told her......and sent a text (I'm a wimp!) If she doesn't like it i have a waiting list for livery!

MissMoo

Visit site

Agree with the above.

In fact, having just read your comment about her being the type that does what she likes I think I would be giving her notice (if it were my yard) - I wouldn't be able to trust her left unsupervised.