I believe it is customary.....

nikicb

www.facebook.com
..... to post when new puppies are about to enter one's life!

I haven't really ventured into AAD much in the past, but I have a feeling I might have a few questions to ask in the future, so I thought I would throw my hat into the ring now. Yesterday I met my future puppy. He's currently 5 weeks old, and will be coming home to me at a smidge over 8 weeks. I have had a puppy before, but a different breed, and she was 12 weeks when she came home. Some parts of me would have liked for him to stay with his mum and litter mates for a little longer, but the breeder has provided a lovely environment for the puppies, they seem very inquisitive and well adjusted, and we have another dog already at home, so it is what it is.

Meet Kip! 😍

At a couple of days old:

353118268_651073880387001_3479884376269481637_n.jpg

And yesterday after a busy day of visitors!

353110196_589728393270621_4756845211001528542_n.jpg

I do have loads of videos and photos of him over the past few weeks as the breeder has been amazing at sending them, but they all have the other puppies in them, so I don't really want to share here. However rest assured, there will be no end to puppy spam in the future!!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Thanks everyone. I am very much looking forward to getting him home and building our relationship, even if I will have "what did I do?" moments sometimes. I started looking for a puppy last autumn, but it didn't work out for one reason and another, and then we booked a holiday to Japan back in April, so I put it on hold for a little while. I had so wanted my gorgeous lab to show him the ropes, but she developed a serious heart condition the day before we arrived home from our holiday. She was nearly 13, but full of life, and it came on very quickly. Thankfully we got home to say goodbye. Instead, he will have my husband's velcro cocker spaniel to guide him. I live in hope. 🤪

Nicnac

Visit site
What a gorgeous little chicken! Hope you're ready for the mayhem that a BT and CS will get up to together - life is going to get interesting/frustrating/rewarding.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
So gorgeous! Our GWP puppy comes home on Sunday so I'm sharing new puppy excitement with you!

Exciting times for you too! Pictures are a must when yours arrives. ;)

What a gorgeous little chicken! Hope you're ready for the mayhem that a BT and CS will get up to together - life is going to get interesting/frustrating/rewarding.

I am slightly concerned about the potential mayhem. Watch this space...... :oops:

He is gorgeous, I've toyed with the idea of having a BT girlie, now I'm broody !!

Thank you. I originally wanted a girl, as that's what I have always had. However I had quite a few conversations with experienced BT people, and they suggested that as we already had bitches, a boy might fit in better. 🤞

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Thanks everyone! I am very much in love with him already. When I picked him up towards my face at the 'viewing', he wanted to give me licky kisses, so I think that's what swung it. I have just placed a suitably large online order for crates (home and car), bedding, and of course I had to throw in a whole bundle of toys as well. My first question is..... I need to buy a suitable harness for him. Does anyone know what size I should get for him at 8 weeks? I know he will be 2-3 times the size he was when I saw him earlier in the week, but I'm finding it hard to imagine. Thank you. xx

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I am very much in love with him already. When I picked him up towards my face at the 'viewing', he wanted to give me licky kisses, so I think that's what swung it. I have just placed a suitably large online order for crates (home and car), bedding, and of course I had to throw in a whole bundle of toys as well. My first question is..... I need to buy a suitable harness for him. Does anyone know what size I should get for him at 8 weeks? I know he will be 2-3 times the size he was when I saw him earlier in the week, but I'm finding it hard to imagine. Thank you. xx
Wait til you get him then mess him. He won’t be going out for walks til his vaccinations are finished so no rush.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Wait til you get him then mess him. He won’t be going out for walks til his vaccinations are finished so no rush.

Very true, but we have an acre of garden which goes all round the house, so I don't want to lose him the first day. I have bought a puppy sling though (not sure I thought I would ever use those words :D ), so I can take him to the local pet store to try a few. Obviously being careful with bio security etc. I am very funny about 'strange' people touching my horses, so I will be very careful with puppy.

ETA I have bought a large 'playpen' for him for the garden/yard so he can be close to me whist gardening/doing the horses, but in a safe space.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Very true, but we have an acre of garden which goes all round the house, so I don't want to lose him the first day. I have bought a puppy sling though (not sure I thought I would ever use those words :D ), so I can take him to the local pet store to try a few. Obviously being careful with bio security etc. I am very funny about 'strange' people touching my horses, so I will be very careful with puppy.

ETA I have bought a large 'playpen' for him for the garden/yard so he can be close to me whist gardening/doing the horses, but in a safe space.
We got some on Amazon, next day delivery so we could longline them in the garden before hitting the park. So teeny!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
We got some on Amazon, next day delivery so we could longline them in the garden before hitting the park. So teeny!
I will probably do that. This is my 5th dog (not that many, but at least I am not completely naïve), but I have never had one so small, or quite so young, so I think I am being a little precious about him. I remember having to get a flashing collar for my black lab puppy when she went out at night for her final business of the day, but at least she was physically larger and less likely to find the tiniest escape into our field, even if I couldn't see her in the dark.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I will probably do that. This is my 5th dog (not that many, but at least I am not completely naïve), but I have never had one so small, or quite so young, so I think I am being a little precious about him. I remember having to get a flashing collar for my black lab puppy when she went out at night for her final business of the day, but at least she was physically larger and less likely to find the tiniest escape into our field, even if I couldn't see her in the dark.
We did the Fort Knox thing in the garden, bit tricky when you have an acre!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
We did the Fort Knox thing in the garden, bit tricky when you have an acre!
It is indeed, but I have gone into this with my eyes completely open. My husband's CS (and she is literally his velcro dog, and currently very sad as he is at Glasto this week), is generally useless at recall, but we have trained her to be absolutely spot on with a whistle. That will be something I will work on with Kip. We cannot feasibly terrier proof an acre, but he will never be left unattended in the garden. We are either in the garden (or elsewhere) with the dogs, or they are with us in the house. I am tempted to put a very light long line on his harness in the early days, but I will see how it goes. I am sure people will read my thread and think I shouldn't have a dog, but believe me, I am not as daft as it might look. xx