i could cry, he's been sold AGAIN

ex racer rider

Visit site
I have just had some terrible news.
I bought a scraggly neglected cob colt from a dealer, i was his 3rd home. he had been passed around as he didnt look like anything special.
this is what i bought:

but unfortunately my circumstances changed so i had to make the heartbraking decision to sell him on.
this is what i sold:

i kept in contact with his new 'forever' owner, i found an add for him and was later informed he had been sold. so i got in touch with his NEW owner and kept getting the odd update to see how he was.

Well yesterday i had a really 'funny' feeling and thought somethings wrong with him. So i brushed it off, a while later i found this on dragon driving :eek: :
14Hh Ride and Drive Gelding
Ride and drive, 14hh 5 year old gelding, steel grey. Has driven in two and four wheel carts. Would make lovely hunter.

Loves hacking and driving. Brilliant in traffic, boxes well, good with farrier. Loyal personality. Beautiful straight feathers, masses of tail.

A real stunner. Everybody loves him. Tack, harness and carts available.

Price: £1,250

so i messaged his owner and was informed that he had sold yesterday.
he is 5.5/6 and this is his 6th home that i know of.
i could honestly cry and i wish i had found a way to prevent me having to sell him before. :(

so if by chance you have bought my little man then PLEASE PLEASE pm me

tankgirl1

Visit site
I feel your pain! We had a lovely wee 3yo on loan from a young girl, she was riding him in a badly fitting saddle, pinching bridle and schooling him in canter on small circles when we took him on! He was barely 3 and a half!

We went back to basics with him, lots of groundwork, sought professional advice about how to bring him on and had a new saddle fitted. Result? His 18yo owner exploded in a fit of I don't know what, demanded him back and then sold him 2 weeks later. From what I can gather he was passed from pillar to post but I am now FB friends with his current owner and all seems to be going well.

He is the most honest pony, I am just glad he has found his forever home. It has taken him 7 homes that I know of to get there, the poor fella!

honetpot

Visit site
He's sold for not too bad a price so someone has thought well of him, so it could be a knowledgeable home. I have a mare that I was her fourth owner and she was only two, she is now nine.

ex racer rider

Visit site
Oh no Hun, that's a horrible situation for you to have been in.
I suppose the silver lining is that you now know his new (hopefully nice) owners so you can keep an eye on him and even possibly get him back should his owner sell/loan him.
But its hard to have your hard work taken away from you :(

ex racer rider

Visit site
He's sold for not too bad a price so someone has thought well of him, so it could be a knowledgeable home. I have a mare that I was her fourth owner and she was only two, she is now nine.

Yes that what i though, as although he should have easily made 2k + when i sold him (he didn't, we needed to sell him on quickly due to finances so he had a low price) i don't know how he has improved/deteriorated in the time he has been away from me so his price at least makes me feel a tiny bit better

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Bless ya, I know how you feel! I had to sell my little coloured cob due to a relationship break up, sold him to a lovely home with the promise if ever selling they'd give me first chance back, 3 years later they got in touch to offer him back but i wasn't in a position to at the time, I later found out he ended up with a horrible dealer who often trades at Appleby. I remortgaged my house and travelled several hundred miles to get him back.

Fingers crossed you find out where you're little man is - you obviously did a fab job while he was with you.

ex racer rider

Visit site
Bless ya, I know how you feel! I had to sell my little coloured cob due to a relationship break up, sold him to a lovely home with the promise if ever selling they'd give me first chance back, 3 years later they got in touch to offer him back but i wasn't in a position to at the time, I later found out he ended up with a horrible dealer who often trades at Appleby. I remortgaged my house and travelled several hundred miles to get him back.

Fingers crossed you find out where you're little man is - you obviously did a fab job while he was with you.

Oh no, i bet it was heartbreaking to find out where he ended up!! :eek:
But at least you have you little guy back safe and sound! :)

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
This is the problem when you sell, you lose all control.

I had to sell my coloured cob last year as I was moving back to London from Scotland and I just couldn't bring 3 with me, selling 1 paid for the other 2 to move down with me basically.

The woman I sold him to seemed wonderful, promised him that unless disaster struck, he'd stay with her for life.
Well I saw him for sale 6 months later, he'd done nothing wrong to be sold, but she'd bought a further 2 horses and ended up with too many.
I tried to get him back via the agent she had put him with to be sold but she wouldn't accept what I could afford.
Fast forward weeks later, price dropped and at 120 a week sales livery she ended up with less than I had originally offered. I was gutted.
I now have no idea where he is, I just hope he's in a good home.

I'm in a position to now buy another, but every time I see another cob youngster I like the look of I get put off, put off because I spend many an evening trailing the adds in Scotland hoping he comes back up for sale and I can get him back.

The mare I moved with me hasn't grown big enough and I really need to sell her but I don't because of what has happened with the one I sold.
So I continue to not ride :(

It's crap isn't it, so hard not knowing where they are, if they are well, what their fate was :(

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Really sory to hear.

Every horse deserves a stable home and to not keep being passed around.

But unfortunately hes not yours any more so you have no say.

vickyb

Visit site
Don't be too hard on yourself. You gave him a good start (the change in him is a credit to you). In doing that you equipped him well for life. He was sold for a decent price, and very well may become somebody's forever pony. But I know it's hard when you feel a special bond with them. Chin up.

Clippy

Visit site
Most horses float from home to home a bit before they find their forever owner. Someone else will see what you see and he'll be sorted then :)

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Thee are lots of loving owners out there- like you and me and others on here, he will find a good home. I would worry more if he was 17 or 18, but yes I would want to know where he was if possible.

hayinamanger

Visit site
So sorry, OP, I know how that feels. You could put an ad on Dragon Driving with a picture, asking his new owner to please get in touch as you'd love to hear how he's getting on. Offer to forward some photos and history. Worth a try for £6. Good luck.

kat2290

Visit site
OP keep a look out for him over the next couple of years, you never know your circumstances may change again and it could be you who buys him back the next time (assuming this isn't his forever home) to finish what you started :) x

DixieMare

Visit site
I hope you find him.

I know how you feel, as I'm looking for my Dixie.
Same as you,I thought I had found a forever home.The lady who I sold Dixie too said she had her horse all his life and that i could go and see Dixie when ever i like, hence why I sold her for next to nothing.
Dixie was then sold on and I have no idea where she is.

I wish I had of full loaned her out, although I had tried part loaning her but nothing come of it.

Good luck with finding your boy. Fingers crossed he has gone to a good caring home.

DM x

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I'm sorry you feel bad but I have to say, when you sold him, you lost any right to criticise subsequent owners/ sellers for doing the exact same thing as you. No one can promise you a forever home - people's circumstances change, they find they don't get on with the horse or it doesn't settle, anything can happen. If you really wanted control over what happened to him then you shouldn't have sold him in the first place, simple as that. I've no doubt people will jump on me and call me harsh for saying this but there we go. Your reasons for selling were genuine so why wouldn't the subsequent sellers also be genuine? Someone might promise you a forever home and after a few months find they just don't gel with the pony. In that case surely it's better to sell to someone who does get on with him, than struggle on either with resentment or with the pony just chucked in a field and ignored.

I put a previous horse of mine out on loan to a lovely family who had him for 2 years and eventually bought him. They have always promised me he'll have a forever home but things change and it wouldn't be up to me to complain if they need to sell him eventually.

ex racer rider

Visit site
I'm sorry you feel bad but I have to say, when you sold him, you lost any right to criticise subsequent owners/ sellers for doing the exact same thing as you. No one can promise you a forever home - people's circumstances change, they find they don't get on with the horse or it doesn't settle, anything can happen. If you really wanted control over what happened to him then you shouldn't have sold him in the first place, simple as that. I've no doubt people will jump on me and call me harsh for saying this but there we go. Your reasons for selling were genuine so why wouldn't the subsequent sellers also be genuine? Someone might promise you a forever home and after a few months find they just don't gel with the pony. In that case surely it's better to sell to someone who does get on with him, than struggle on either with resentment or with the pony just chucked in a field and ignored.

I put a previous horse of mine out on loan to a lovely family who had him for 2 years and eventually bought him. They have always promised me he'll have a forever home but things change and it wouldn't be up to me to complain if they need to sell him eventually.

Sorry, i think your mistaken... I have not criticised the owners.
The lady i sold him to decided she wanted a larger horse so a genuine reason however i was upset they she didn't tell me he was for sale (i asked for first refusal) she didn't even tell me he was for sale.
And likewise with his other owner, i asked for first refusal and the same thing happened again. He was sold this time i believe due to family problems

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
As I said on your other thread, the only way to ensure a 'forever' home for a horse is to provide it yourself.
Once you have sold a horse, you have no further say over its future.

ex racer rider

Visit site
As I said on your other thread, the only way to ensure a 'forever' home for a horse is to provide it yourself.
Once you have sold a horse, you have no further say over its future.

As i also said. I used ' ' marks to signify that i was not actually meaning forever and that a 'forever' home is something we can only hope for

Antw23uk

Visit site
Bless ya ex racer rider thats no fun at all. Fingers crossed he has found his forever home and if not he turns up safe and well soon enough and you can snap him up :D
I've had my new horse a week and I just adore him so the thought of what could have happened to him even before I knew him fills me with sadness and its a wasted emotion as he's mine now and not going anywhere, lol :confused: :eek:

Darremi

Visit site
If that situation arises again, make sure you get your right to first refusal down into a written contract. Then it would it enforceable against the subsequent owner, though you might have to litigate in order to to that. It would also be subject to agreement over the price. Options to purchase are only good against the next owner, so once they have sold him on you lose control completely unless you enter into another option agreement with the sub owner, and so on.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
If that situation arises again, make sure you get your right to first refusal down into a written contract. Then it would it enforceable against the subsequent owner, though you might have to litigate in order to to that. It would also be subject to agreement over the price. Options to purchase are only good against the next owner, so once they have sold him on you lose control completely unless you enter into another option agreement with the sub owner, and so on.

...don't think that sort of agreement can be upheld.

Darremi

Visit site
Yes it can be enforced so long as it complies with the requirements of formal validity for contracts in England. All the contract would cover is the seller's right to be offered the option to re-purchase the horse whenever the buyer decides to sell. It does not guarantee the seller the right to buy the horse, only the right to be offered it. So if the seller then refused the price offered by the buyer then the right would lapse and no longer be enforceable. If the buyer then sold the horse on, the right would not be enforceable against any subsequent buyers without a separate agreement with them. The contract might contain a fixed price option, but it is highly doubtful that any buyer would agree to that. Therefore the term might read "at a price to be fixed by the buyer, but no more than market value for the horse" or "at a price to be fixed by an independent valuation expert" or something like that. It's just a case of negotiating with the buyer to agree a suitable term

Antw23uk

Visit site
Yes it can be enforced so long as it complies with the requirements of formal validity for contracts in England. All the contract would cover is the seller's right to be offered the option to re-purchase the horse whenever the buyer decides to sell. It does not guarantee the seller the right to buy the horse, only the right to be offered it. So if the seller then refused the price offered by the buyer then the right would lapse and no longer be enforceable. If the buyer then sold the horse on, the right would not be enforceable against any subsequent buyers without a separate agreement with them. The contract might contain a fixed price option, but it is highly doubtful that any buyer would agree to that. Therefore the term might read "at a price to be fixed by the buyer, but no more than market value for the horse" or "at a price to be fixed by an independent valuation expert" or something like that. It's just a case of negotiating with the buyer to agree a suitable term

Honestly if someone approached me who had owned my horse with this I would tell them to ****** off! Honestly that just sounds like a pants idea even if you did know the previous owner and kept in contact over the months/ years! :rolleyes:

Darremi

Visit site
I was just trying to be helpful by explaining a method by which the OP might better protect her interests next time around. There are a lot of legal myths floating around on here and I though it might be useful to clear things up.

Of course it would be unlikely that somebody who was not the direct buyer would enter into such an agreement.

No need to be so critical.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I was just trying to be helpful by explaining a method by which the OP might better protect her interests next time around. There are a lot of legal myths floating around on here and I though it might be useful to clear things up.

Of course it would be unlikely that somebody who was not the direct buyer would enter into such an agreement.

No need to be so critical.

Not critical at all, in fact your post was very informative and its nice you spent the time and effort writing it. I was just giving an opinion :cool: