I decked it and am feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning!

rosiesowner

Visit site
TBH I think most people would have reacted the way you did. You were in a lot of pain and had it happened another time another place your horse could've been in serious danger. Someone turned on a strimmer next to a horse I used to know and the horse ditched the rider and galloped off in the direction of a main road. It was sheer luck she was caught before she reached the road by another livery driving to the yard.

I just wish people would exercise some logic-surely even the most uneducated person would realise turning on a power tool right next to an animal isn't the best idea. So pleased the horse and rider were okay.

baran

Visit site
Yeah, probably not the best response but in my defence a)My ligament had just torn, which was incredibly painful and b) they probably didn't hear me anyway :D:D:p

I think I would have let rip before brain engaged! Clearly explaining horses behavior in such situations would have been more educational but it wasn't the moment - and finding your horse was more important......[/QUOTE]

Yes, I understand. Didn't mean to sound smug but just had a run in with an arrogant ... who expected the world to stop for their horse!

baran

Visit site
I just wish people would exercise some logic-surely even the most uneducated person would realise turning on a power tool right next to an animal isn't the best idea. So pleased the horse and rider were okay.

Of course, pleased everyone OK but it isn't something I would expect "even the most uneducated person" to know.
Having no interest in children, it didn't occur to me to strip the room of everything the stupid toddler would try and swallow/break as my furious sister-in-law told me I should have done on her one and only visit.
Actually of all the horses I have loaned/owned, only two would have reacted like that. Farm livery has many advantages, not least getting horses completely blase about machinery noises.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
After 36 years of marriage, 35 of which I have been owning horses, my OH has mostly grasped this concept, except when he forgets :D. Non animal people simply can't be expected to think in a way which to us seems obvious. If this guy was on his own property, then the horse going past probably didn't even register as being relevant to his activities in any way.

Though I fully relate with the OP to sounding off after a painful fright, even though afterwards I may realise that actually it was just no fault stuff that happened :eek:. Then it's apologies time :).

TrasaM

Visit site
I took a similar dive a few years ago but unfortunately I was still nicely seated in the saddle when we both crashed to earth. With us it was an oncoming motorbike who made no effort to ease off the throttle and tarmac and metal shoes are not a good recipe when fast spinning TB is involved.
Hope you heal well and fast and no permanent damage done.
Unfortunately the average person is not too aware of just how easy it is to spook a horse. It got so I absolutely hated hacking on roads.

Goldenstar

Visit site
In this sort of thing I have secret weapon ....MrGS he has never got the concept of not spooking the horses the result they are bombproof .
My favourite example of that was years ago I was backing a horses so I say to him don't do anything controversial near the school for the next half hour we are going to get on Ellen so on the three year I get I can hear the tractor I think it does not matter he knows we are here next thing round the corner he comes dangling a large white bag of sand from the forks of the tractor ...I knew them he would not ever get it .

Clodagh

Visit site
In this sort of thing I have secret weapon ....MrGS he has never got the concept of not spooking the horses the result they are bombproof .
My favourite example of that was years ago I was backing a horses so I say to him don't do anything controversial near the school for the next half hour we are going to get on Ellen so on the three year I get I can hear the tractor I think it does not matter he knows we are here next thing round the corner he comes dangling a large white bag of sand from the forks of the tractor ...I knew them he would not ever get it .

You have to love them! Go on - finish the story, did the horse react?