I don’t know why everybody isn’t using this bit

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Sort of related, but I do wonder though if it is about the rider sometimes. Perhaps some bits "mute" some riding habits more, such as instability and whatnot. So the horse likes that bit because it accommodates that rider, maybe. Not sure, something to think about, I guess.
IME this is certainly true. I helped someone with very unsteady hands for a while, her instructor had sort of taught her to fiddle the horse into a shape and while she unlearned that the horse needed something really stable - a hanging cheek myler took a lot of the moment away, horse previously had a happy mouth loose ring with a peanut roller thing, far too much movement all round for them at that point in time. the stiller bit helped the pair of them to move on together.

SEL

Visit site
I definitely think it helps if the bit suits the conformation of the horses's mouth. Mr B had a tiny mouth with a very fat tongue and fleshy inner cheeks, there was also something a bit unusual about the shape of his muzzle and teeth. He was the first and only horse I've had difficulty finding a bit that he was comfortable in but they do exist.

Yup - the Appy has a tiny mouth for a full sized head and a low palate too. Hated the nutcracker action of a snaffle and was a different horse from the minute I tried a turtle top on her. It has to sit in a slightly odd position to be right for her.

Microcob has the floppy soft palate issue that surgery didn't fix. Currently riding in a sidepull but she's not keen on the action so if a bit that says it can help a soft palate issue (or at least not hinder it) actually works then that would be great.

I think some of the people making less than helpful comments on here forget there are a number of us dealing with less than perfect horses trying to do the best we can by them.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yup - the Appy has a tiny mouth for a full sized head and a low palate too. Hated the nutcracker action of a snaffle and was a different horse from the minute I tried a turtle top on her. It has to sit in a slightly odd position to be right for her.

Microcob has the floppy soft palate issue that surgery didn't fix. Currently riding in a sidepull but she's not keen on the action so if a bit that says it can help a soft palate issue (or at least not hinder it) actually works then that would be great.

I think some of the people making less than helpful comments on here forget there are a number of us dealing with less than perfect horses trying to do the best we can by them.

I'm not sure what you mean. I can't think of anyone that claims to have a perfect horse I'm this thread. I think everyone on here is dealing with less than perfect and trying to do the best they can. The thing is, sometimes, is that you don't know what you don't know. All of us, I would say, are continually learning and striving for improvement.

If the comments aren't helpful, then I guess just disregard ?‍♀️ not all input in threads is "helpful" to all of us.

While mine goes in whatever bridle set up, or lack thereof, he's totally mental in other aspects. So, can't have it all ?

milliepops

Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean. I can't think of anyone that claims to have a perfect horse I'm this thread. I think everyone on here is dealing with less than perfect and trying to do the best they can. The thing is, sometimes, is that you don't know what you don't know. All of us, I would say, are continually learning and striving for improvement.

If the comments aren't helpful, then I guess just disregard ?‍♀️ not all input in threads is "helpful" to all of us.

While mine goes in whatever bridle set up, or lack thereof, he's totally mental in other aspects. So, can't have it all ?
I think it was the comments that you essentially just need to ride better.
I do think that as I've got to be a better rider the bit chosen is less important and I expect that to continue, BUT that is assuming the horse is essentially comfortable in the bit to start with and not struggling with a physical issue.

Cowpony

Visit site
Yes, totally agree. I wasn't saying that you don't need to choose a bit that is comfortable for your horse, and I'm a far from perfect rider, but when I was struggling to get my horse to work properly on the bit I did what a lot of people do, and believed she'd go better if I could just find that perfect bit. Over the last couple of years I've done a lot of work on my own position and aids - particularly using my legs more and my hands less......and suddenly she's going well and I don't feel I need that "magic" bit.

And I was also responding in kind to the rather tongue in cheek comment in the title and the claims made by the manufacturer ?. Nothing aimed at anybody on here, so apologies if it's been taken that way.

Last edited:

Lois Lame

Visit site
I've bought and worried and tried different bits until I came across one that I felt confident that my horse liked.

Whether he liked it better I do not know, but he seemed to like it better than the others. Because I felt I had found a bit he liked, I was happier to be using it. It's a Myler triple-barrel eggbutt snaffle. It's a little thin, but he was a little opinionated, so we're even.

I don't know what I think about the whole bit debacle. I think a little of this and a little of that. I think, though, I had to solve my concern for what I thought were or could be problems.

Dexter

Visit site
Agree, but would be nice if people made the effort to learn.

To learn what? To ride at GP with a piece of rope as a bit on a horse they trained themselves? Bear with me while I go and do that ????

I've got horses with ailments, I've got ailments, and you know what? I'm a barely average rider. Nearly 50yrs of lessons off all sorts of people and I'm still barely average. Its not lack of trying, its lack of ability, of me and the little hairy ponies I have.

If a better designed bit makes them more comfortable, then I'm all for it. Why people need to be so sneery and patronising is beyond me.

milliepops

Visit site
I like some elements of this but am bemused by how it increases oxygen intake and stops rearing?!?
i think the oxygen intake thing is relating to their claims that the horse won't draw its tongue back if it is comfortable and so lessens displacement of the soft palate.
I watched a video on the WTP website which seemed to be suggesting all horses would find it comfortable so horses that rear as a result of mouth pain would stop doing so.

bold claims ;)

Tarragon

Visit site
I think that as horses have different shaped mouths, different bit styles will suit different horses and so having a selection to choose from is a good thing.
I find that the selection is bewildering though! All I can do is make my selection based on less is best and make sure it is fitted properly.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
To learn what? To ride at GP with a piece of rope as a bit on a horse they trained themselves? Bear with me while I go and do that ????

I've got horses with ailments, I've got ailments, and you know what? I'm a barely average rider. Nearly 50yrs of lessons off all sorts of people and I'm still barely average. Its not lack of trying, its lack of ability, of me and the little hairy ponies I have.

If a better designed bit makes them more comfortable, then I'm all for it. Why people need to be so sneery and patronising is beyond me.
Unnecessarily rude, and missing the point. 90% of horse training problems are down to the rider. If you are a barely average rider after 50 years of lessons then you either have rotten teachers, or are uniquely unteachable. A new bit will not make a rider better, it may make the horse more comfortable but that's going to be a minimal effect if the rider is still hauling away like a midshipman.

Backtoblack

Visit site
states it stops head shaking. Wonder if it does this for every head shaking horse ? if so its a type of mirace thingy and the saviour of a lot of horses and their riders, if not then surely cause for misrepresentation in advertising ?

Ouch05

Visit site
I am at a loss and have requested the help of a bit person to come and see my 4 1/2 year old and I. Currently in a Tranz Angle loose ring NS (same as my TB) he does not lean, pull, tank and when working forward evade. However, he does like to go around with his mouth open. Teeth just done so not an issue therefore I believe it fits well (not been told by any RI that is does not) but as much as I read I am not an expert and only want the very best for my boy.

I think it is because I am not steady enough (not handy/pully) just not steady enough for him, he is not in a flash. I do a lot of give and retake to ensure we aren't leaning on each other but he still likes to open his mouth. I don't mind as long as it is not his way of saying it hurts mum! but also dressage judges do not like it. I have seen a friend get marked down a lot and comments made.

a flash was suggested but I would rather not if it is a case of my bad hands I will work on that but need to rule out the bite first.

TBH I am completely over my head when it comes to bits as my other lad just accepted pretty much anything that was not a single joint.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
So it "stops headshaking" does it?? Really?? My mare is a diagnosed trigeminal-nerve headshaker, and I can't see this piece of kit helping one jot - if only!

Another sh!ts-miracles product methinks; and not cheap either - someone is obviously hopeful of reeling in gullible punters.

I remember wise words right back from Pony Club: "it isn't the bit in the mouth, it's the hands on the reins"...........

Mari

Visit site
As there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable bitting people on here maybe you can help me. I have a rescue pony that constantly draws his tongue back & mouths on the bit. I’ve had a bit person out. My pony has a small mouth, a short smile, a fat tongue, a large low grass muscle. I’ve tried lots of bits, haven’t found the right one yet. Any suggestions?

paddi22

Visit site
As there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable bitting people on here maybe you can help me. I have a rescue pony that constantly draws his tongue back & mouths on the bit. I’ve had a bit person out. My pony has a small mouth, a short smile, a fat tongue, a large low grass muscle. I’ve tried lots of bits, haven’t found the right one yet. Any suggestions?

I've one similar in the yard and she goes best in a Bombers Happy Tongue Eggbutt. you can trial them at the bit bank

Kaylum

Visit site
Bridles and saddles are a big part of finding a bit which a horse is happy with. Imagen being agitated by the bridle and/or the saddle. Your never going to settle in your mouth. The bitfit course is very good at helping you understand how everything works together. But beware if you take it make sure you have lots if spare time as it's very intense but extremely informative.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
No as they don’t make one small enough.

Hm. Maybe take a look at Fager titanium bits. They have some smaller sizes, and some horses seem to prefer the titanium. There are a few designs and Fager can directly give you info on what might work, but I would see if a bit bank or somewhere has some available for trial.

Lois Lame

Visit site
it looks a severe bit to me, and sort of rigid, not surprised its not d legal

Yes, when I first clicked on the link when this thread appeared, I was a little taken aback. This bit tries to resemble a loose ring snaffle 'but without the problems of the loose ring snaffle'. But it introduces new problems. Not a bit I am attracted to. I would much prefer a normal loose ring snaffle.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Mmmm there’s a saying in medicine... anything that claims to cure everything, cures nothing... I hate things that claim this much it puts me off completely

Mals05

Visit site
Had a bit lady out for our youngster. Glad I did, apparently she is quite fleshy inside her mount. We were recommended Myler 04 Eggbutt Comfort Snaffle Low Port and pleased to say it made a massive difference.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
My pony literally has no room for anything thanks to her huuuge fleshy tongue. She’s in this.
https://www.horsemanshipsaddlery.uk/ourshop/prod_6427632-Orbit-Hanging-Cheek-Snaffle.html

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Had a bit lady out for our youngster. Glad I did, apparently she is quite fleshy inside her mount. We were recommended Myler 04 Eggbutt Comfort Snaffle Low Port and pleased to say it made a massive difference.
I got one of these after having problems with mine hating tongue pressure and it worked well for him too.

Mals05

Visit site

have you tried Myler 04 Eggbutt Comfort Snaffle Low Port. It what the bit lady recommended for our fleshy mouthed horse. You can try them from the bit bank.