i Don't Compete

Anna305

New User
Visit site
Hi all,
very new to HandH but just wanted to share this.

I never compete or enter competitions... i know some people absolutely love it and its their main reason for having a horse or at least one of their favourites but i just can't say I've ever been drawn to it. i started riding a little later than most girls so maybe thats it but I'm much happier just being with my horse or hacking or even just having a lesson. is this weird? Would love to hear any opinions!

And just to add a fe friends come to ride my horse sometimes so he's been to a few shows and done some competing and he does enjoy iy but doesn't live for it or anything..

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i just hack now as both horse and i are oldies. . i then stopped competing due to no transport but carried on having lessons and loved to improve both of us and didnt miss competing at all. as long as you and your horse enjoy what you do that is the best thing...

Shay

Visit site
Odd post....

Why need to justify what any of us choose to do with our horses. There is time enough under heaven - as they saying goes. Some compete. Some don't. Some ride, some don't. Some drive, some don't. The list could go on forever. Surely whatever we do with our horses - or nothing - is what joins us together as a community. I'm not sure why a post is necessary to suggest that?

oldie48

Visit site
I have a lovely (possibly quite competitive) horse that I hack and school, he doesn't like busy warm ups and neither do I. If he was easy to take into a busy warm up, I'd probably compete but he is who he is. We don't compete against other people but every time I ride him we try to improve (and we do). It's enough for me!

NZJenny

Visit site
Odd post....

Why need to justify what any of us choose to do with our horses. There is time enough under heaven - as they saying goes. Some compete. Some don't. Some ride, some don't. Some drive, some don't. The list could go on forever. Surely whatever we do with our horses - or nothing - is what joins us together as a community. I'm not sure why a post is necessary to suggest that?

x2.

DonskiWA

Visit site
When I started out riding it was ALL about the competing and winning ribbons, ribbons, ribbons. Then the training side became more important as I realised I didn't always win! Now, it's pretty much just about the training and I can't really be arsed dragging myself off to competitions at all!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Odd post....

This :) As long as you enjoy your riding & your horse, it doesn't matter what you do!

My main love will always be hacking, but I have started to enjoy training and competing very locally - literally just at the EC a stone's throw away!

I always say I would still ride if I couldn't school or compete, but would struggle if I couldn't hack.

Welcome to HHO, though!

moodymare1987

Visit site
I bought mine for hacking, was never interested in anything else.
Although now having realised how good he is and how much enjoyment we have going around a cross country course I have now taken enjoyment from jumping which I never thought I would and competing. But I do only see it as when we are doing cross country as a fun trip round some jumps. Never see it as a competition maybe that's what helps.

But I do love a nice hack as that's how I spend most of my evenings/weekends.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Odd post....

New poster said:

is this weird? Would love to hear any opinions!

so is obviously in a place (mental/physical/both) where she feels odd at not competing and needs reassurance.

We get few enough posters these days, please don't put new people off by making them feel stupid to have posted a thread. You don't start many posts, how's about you start one now about something interesting we can talk about; it might help the forum stay alive?

OP no it's not odd, I don't compete these days either. But some people make me feel as if I've got two heads not competing a horse who is doing half pass and flying changes at home. I just love riding him.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
New poster said:

so is obviously in a place (mental/physical/both) where she feels odd at not competing and needs reassurance.

We get few enough posters these days, please don't put new people off by making them feel stupid to have posted a thread. You don't start many posts, how's about you start one now about something interesting we can talk about; it might help the forum stay alive?

OP no it's not odd, I don't compete these days either. But some people make me feel as if I've got two heads not competing a horse who is doing half pass and flying changes at home. I just love riding him.

absolutely agree, i also felt that post was not necessary, especially to a new poster who may feel intimidated......why cant people be kind!!!!! the old saying, if you cant say something nice dont say anything applies here...

Farma

Visit site
New poster said:

Haha same as me, the amount of times I get asked about competing because I have 2 good horses and I always say the same, I am a happy hacker now, I just enjoy schooling a bit, I get looked at like a crazy person!

Anyway welcome Anna305 ;)

alexomahony

Visit site
Love this - so long as you and your horse and happy doing what you do, that's all that matters.

I enjoy the odd competition, but I am in no way competitive. I like to go to lots of clinics and training with my horses but actual competitions - maybe 3/4 a year just to jump round a different course/new arena/change of scenery.

I do really enjoy arena eventing because one of my ponies is super up for it and love going XC but cannot justify the money to compete.

Most of my schooling/training is to make my ponies super enjoyable to hack out - fit, bouncy, up for it but safe and (mostly) sensible!

I think the aim of the game, whatever you do is having fun - both you and your horse because when you're flying around a course, or dancing around that dressage arena, it only truly feels great when you're both having a great time :)

alexomahony

Visit site
New poster said:

I also agree with this - and it's actually turned out to be a lovely post finding out what other people do with their horses. I think it's relevant and interesting :)

Mule

Visit site
I do quite a bit of competing but am currently hacking only, as I am bringing horse back to fitness. I am loving it.
There's definitely nothing odd about it.

I also find it's good for the horse, they love being out of the arena and hacking is great for getting them braver. I had a laugh the other day when my horse saw a 'giant scary rock' and decided he'd have to walk backwards. ;) He got over it and next time he marched past it.

Horses who aren't taken out much because the owner is totally focussed on competing don't get these experiences.

Last edited: