I don't think we are getting a fairytale ending of our own.........

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Boo went in for investigation as a horse with potential neurological issues or KS.

Scintigraphy results.....

3 hotspots
crazy.gif
C4/5
crazy.gif
RH Fetlock
crazy.gif
T12-17 maximal uptake at tips of dorsal spinous processes..... Kissing f***ing Spines

Xrays tomorrow.

I'm still gunning for spinal cord compression at C4/5, and hoping that the KS is coincidental seeing as 70-ish% of horses have KS without displaying clinical symptoms.

Initially I was numb... now I want to be sick.

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

CrazyMare

Visit site
Oh hun, HUGE hugs to you. Please call me if you want to talk - you were really good to me when Holz first had her diagnosis.

Is she still in?

little_pink_piggies

Visit site
oh I am so so sorry
frown.gif

Was really hoping it would be as simple as it was for my boy
frown.gif

The sick feeling is the worst ever, I had it when they werent really explaining what was going on to me, I had visions of bringing back an empty lorry etc, so i really do sympathise with you hun!

Keep us informed of how tomorrow goes, have my fingers so tightly crossed for you, and always here for a chat/rant/whatever! x

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Thanks both, the support I have received and doubtlessly will continue to receive (HHO is great!) has made this so much easier. Doesn't make it hurt less though
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

H, yes, she is staying in tomoorow and will will pick her up in the evening. I can't wait to have her back as she has left a HUGE hole.. she is such a big personality and I'm not sure how I would cope without her.

LPP - I was really hoping that she would turn out like your boy too. Your story has kept me sane (relatively!
tongue.gif
) over the past few days though, so thankyou!

I am refusing to be defeated until we have those xrays though! *face of grim determination*

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
No SC, a lesson I am learning several times over is that life isn't fair!
When do I stop taking it on the chin and start to realise that the common denominator (with the horses at least) is me?!
crazy.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
If you were 16 stone and doing sitting trot badly on a 4yo, then maybe back problems could be attributed to you.....as you're not, I think it is just bad luck. It is also sod's law sadly - in the same way that having been the healthiest, easiest horse on the planet, mine chooses 3 months before I leave the country for months on end to break - that's life.
frown.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The rational part of me is thinking that it is my penchant for ex-racers that is the common denominator, but I don't know, it's hard to stay rational!
How are B's ulcers doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is safe to say the phrase 'don't ask' fits nicely here! I am utterly fed up of the whole thing - he is now on antibiotics and everything that goes within 100m of the yard is covered in liquid dung or antibiotics or both. You can't stand within 2m of him without getting covered, he smells, he's an arse to catch in the stable because every time you catch him someone shoves horrible drugs down his throat and there is a 20% chance this won't work anyway. It's only been two weeks and I am completely fed up!

squirtlysmum

Visit site
KS is not the end of the road, I promise. My homebred baby turned into the devil incarnate and the final point was when he bucked me off so badly I fractured my back. Everyone just said he was a git but I knew there was more to it and he went off for investigations and was found to have KS, he initially had injections which made him worse and then he had the op and although its been by no means easy we are finally really getting on with things. So please don't despair!

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Squirtlys mum - the main casue for despair about the KS is that my gelding had T13,15 and 17 removed in June
smirk.gif
Due to complications we're still not back under saddle either, looking at Jan at the earliest atm.

SC - poor you, poor B. I had a mare with gatric ulcers and still shudder at the memory of it all. 80% chance of success is still good odds in anybodies book though, have faith!

MrsMozart - if I had my own magic wand I would have waved it for you a long time ago, I really would have. Your thoughts and hugs are appreciated though. X

Bubbles

Visit site
Oh no, such pants news for you, 2008 has not been a good year!!! Sending you lots of positive thoughts, and I know you will feel a bit better when you've got her home and can spoil her rotten. Send me a big fat pm if you need a rant, you poor love xx

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Bubbles - Thanks, you may well get a big fat sad PM yet, we'll see how much of a crumbling wreck I turn into tomorrow. 2008 is crap. It was meant to be 'our year' but has just been one disaster after another, like 2007 was, and 2006....
Roll on 2009!!!

MM - She's gorgeous, and she knows it!

cazza

community.webshots.com
Huge hugs being sent your way, I can't believe it. Why is it all the nice people who truely love and care for their horses are always the ones will the heartache. I am so sorry for you. You know where I am if you want to have a chat/rant/or just a general catch up.

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
I don't know Cazza - maybe if I just beat my horses through it all then I could make them physically and emotionally shut down enough so that they don't complain, and I wouldn't have this trouble?! Hell, it seems to work for so many other people
smirk.gif
frown.gif

Thanks for the offer of the shoulder - I am trying to do the stiff upper lip thing at least until we have the xrays, but you might have me on the phone bawling after that! Wouldn't be the first time I have rung you from the vets car park
tongue.gif

CBAnglo

Visit site
Oh no ... but on the plus side it is not neurological. This can be fixed (as you well know with Rage).

And it explains so much about her behaviour poor little thing.

I know how you feel ... as you know I have 2 broken horses and as soon as I think one might be sound enough to do something other than walk in straight lines on flat ground he breaks again.

I havent even managed to get my one with KS into any semblance of work ... unless you call 30 mins of walking 3 times a week work. And the vet cant assess him until he is in proper full work but this just causes him to get back spasms again.

Sorry didnt mean to hijack thread.

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
... but on the plus side it is not neurological

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still holding out for it to be neurological actually
crazy.gif
I am happy to be proved wrong but if there is no way I will crack on with KS treatment if there ANY element of doubt about whether there is spinal cord compression in the neck. I need to know that it is not neurological before I can even think seriously about doing anything else. Her recent behaviour just doesn't fit with it being just KS.

I'm sorry about Dyl
frown.gif
I will PM you later!

TPO

Visit site
Hi Bounty, I tried to PM you but your inbox is full so I emailed but not sure if you'll get it or not.

Really sorry to hear about your mare. I'm training in McT-C and at the last training session our lecturer/lady who runs the course told us a really inspirational story and then the animal in question came trotting into the room. I don't want to give you false hope but if there's anything I can do to help and if putting you in touch with this person would give you another avenue to explore please let me know.

I hope you get some good news when you see the x-rays.

Thinking about you and your mare

jojoebony

Visit site
Hi

Very sorry to hear about your mare.

I don't know if you'll remember my post the other day about my boy, 8 year old ex racer possibly having KS.

Today he was xrayed and it was confirmed. However, further investigation is underway as he may have a problem with his facet joints (not sure which C? it is) and that this may be causing compression of the spinal cord.

If you'd like to chat please PM me, I can't offer any words of wisdom but I certainly would find it useful to compare notes although understand if you would prefer not to as I know how devastating this news will have been for you.

J

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
To update!

Xrays of the neck and fetlock were absolutely clear, so for the time being they are being ruled out.
KS was confirmed, T12-16.

The plan of action of for Boo to trial a new therapy, called Mesotherapy. It involves a cocktail of long acting anti-inflammatories, steroids and Seropin, which is an anti-irritant. They are all injected just under the skin along her back, and if all goes well I should have a 'normal' horse in a fairly short period of time. The effects could last anything from a few weeks to 12 months or more.
It should break the cycle long enough for me to be able to begin to work her properly and do a whole load of physio stuff to strengthen her back up. Depending on how that goes we might opt for surgery in 10months or so, before the insurance runs out.

If there is no improvement at all with the mesotherapy then we will continue pursuing the neurological aspect of it all.

The neck - there is obviously something brewing there, even if it is not clear on xrays so that will have a close eye kept on it. Can chiropractors influence C4/5 under all that muscle? (that's a question for you to answer TPO!
tongue.gif
) I'm sure the physio will have some massages and stretches too.

TPO - email received, thanks!
grin.gif
It sounds like jjj could use your help and inspiration too
wink.gif

jjj - I am so sorry
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
I will PM you tomorrow though and help you all I can.

_jetset_

Visit site
Bounty, it all sounds treatable which is the best news!!!

Re. the neck issues, could they not be caused by the way she is going because of the KS in her back??? I know from personal experience that with my neck injury, my lower back can be very sore and also require treatment as a knock on effect!

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Hey R,

My horses are spending nearly as much time at the vets as yours
tongue.gif

The neck and back could certainly be related, and knowing the way horses compensate all over the place I wouldn't be at all surprised. Typically, being a vet, the neck was dismissed as being irrelevant, but she will be having chiro to check all is well and then my physio will carry on treating her for me.

I am actually chasing a second opinion on this as I am not happy to settle for it being 'just' KS - it feels as though the vet has stumbled upon the KS and has decided that all her problems are attributable to it. He is now so blinkered about it that I can't see me getting anymore sense out of him, so she will go to another practice to be seen by a fresh pair of eyes.
I know I am mad to be actively seeking out a neurological issue, but I owe it to her to make absolutely certain that I have really covered all the options. Gut feeling says I haven't
crazy.gif