I feel the need to get one, but do I really need one?

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
So its my bday coming up and you know how your eyes tend to glaze over looking at all the horsey products on your wish list...
grin.gif

Well, I was looking through my unrealistic long wish-list and on there is a 5 point breastplate. I think i only want it cause it looks like everybody seems to have them and i always feel when i go to BE events that i am the poor one with less gear etc.
frown.gif

But i have since thought to myself, my saddle is brand new, fits like a glove to her and me, the only reason i can justify it is that it may give me something to hold onto xc. But to be honest i don't often hold onto tack.
confused.gif

Is it just me, or do we end up wanting something that actually has no use for us whatsoever. Sorry if this doesn't make sense but if anyone can give me a reason for buying one, please do
grin.gif

Digger123

Visit site
I won't give you a reason to buy one as when it comes to horses tack reason goes straight out the window
grin.gif

Why follow the crowd - if you don't need to wear a breastplate why put one on.Less tack to clean, less to forget when you go to shows
I keep looking at saddles and think I like that one, it's a good price etc but I don't need another saddle.
So no, you aren't the only one that wants stuff that they don't really need.

worMy

www.katherinebegley.com
well i wanted one for agesssssss for the same reasons as you, because every one has them
but never got one as expensive and really didnt need it.
but then my JRN co-ord told me i needed to get one for weston 1* because it would be frowned upon if i didnt use a breastplate when going XC :O
LOL

although, one could have got a normal hunting breastplate,,but thats just boring
wink.gif

havnt really helped,,,but that could be another justification :p

beckieswann

Visit site
I bought a 5 point breastplate due to the fact my horse has huge shoulders and the saddle does slip back, however I have hardly used it and just used it for hacking - and seeing as we haven't been hacking out much this year it just sits in the tackroom lol!

There are cheaper variations of the 5 point breastplate. They do the job, but if you're looking for something to hold onto maybe just something even more standard and not as expensive!
grin.gif

blush.gif
in reply to your post I always buy things I shouldn't... I've jsut invested in a thermatex which is probably the first product that I have bought recently that I'll have a lot of use out of!

KatB

Visit site
I'm selling mine if anyone wants one
wink.gif
tongue.gif
I did have a use for it, but no longer have that use...
smile.gif
so just use a straight forward V check again now
smile.gif

TableDancer

Visit site
You should really have some form of breastplate to go XC - it's one of those sod's law things, if you don't the day your saddle slips will be the day you are in the lead after D and SJ
wink.gif

We've all made do with hunting breastplates and/or breastgirths for decades then along comes the 5 point. They are supposedly better - it is true that Pippa Funnell designed the original when she was at the height of her career because she was unhappy with the possible restriction caused by other sorts. However, how much of a difference they really make is a moot point, especially when most people are only jumping 1m odd anyway... So, it's probably mostly fashion. What shape of jeans do you wear? Have you changed between styles over the last few years? There are fashions in every sphere, fact of life and they really don't do much harm. If you don't have a breastplate you really should have, and if you want a 5 point and can afford it you go girl!
smile.gif
tongue.gif

Mbronze

So i do need one (kind of). I'm competing at Novice this year, i know thats not massive but it is to me. I do have an old fashioned type of breastplate (but it is a bit rusty).
So my next question would be - which 5 point to go for?

kerilli

Visit site
i always use a breastplate for XC, for the reasons TD says.
if you haven't got 1 at all, you need one. if you prefer the design, and don't mind the price, get a 5-point.
having used the old 3-point style for donkey's years though, i'm sticking to those. no bits of dead sheep to scrub, for starters! and i think it looks smarter actually... it's just dark tack, not showy.
*prepares to be sent to Hell for blasphemy against 5-point breastplates*

daisycrazy

Visit site
I bought a Kolibri because the horse I had at the time tended to send her saddles backwards. I find horses like working into them on the flat and they do keep the saddle in place, though I can only just get it as loose as I want it on my slender 16.1hh horses, so not sure I'd want to use it on a much bigger horse.

They are outrageously expensive and the clips have broken, so frankly I'd buy a cheaper version and preferably one that has a bit more adjustability. I'll bet a good saddler (Crewe? Townfields?) would make you one for less than most branded ones are on sale for.

Lolo

Visit site
If you can afford a 5-point, why not? You do need one XC just incase, and if you want a 5-point, why not!

KatB

Visit site
Have to say I do like the look of them, and my Jeffries one is gorgeous, but completely unnecessary now as my saddle doesn't move enough to warrant having an expensive bit of kit hanging around
grin.gif
Knowing my luck, I will sell it and then need it a year down the line.
smirk.gif
tongue.gif

Mickeymoo

Visit site
I've been looking at one this weekend and I think for the same reasons as you mbronze. But thinking about what ive done without one, bloodhounded for 3 seasons, and competed for the last 2 summers - I really don't think I need a 5 point. My friend gave me a 3 point last year, so I think I will not be wasteful and use that one.

TableDancer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have to say I do like the look of them, and my Jeffries one is gorgeous, but completely unnecessary now as my saddle doesn't move enough to warrant having an expensive bit of kit hanging around
grin.gif
Knowing my luck, I will sell it and then need it a year down the line.
smirk.gif
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TBF, you shouldn't just use one because your saddle moves (should really get saddle sorted in that situation!) it's more of a "safety belt" thing... I am old enough that when I was a teenager I had XC lessons from a scary dragon called Lady Hugh Russell who was famous at the time: she would have sent you home if you turned up for a lesson without a breastplate
shocked.gif

Of course, you could seel expensive 5 point and use cheaper hunting version but you won't get back anything like what you paid for it and, like you said, are bound to need it again down the line!

connie1288

Visit site
I have had a Devoucoux one for years, was bought when under hell or high water we couldnt get the saddle to stay on one horse (15h) and it was before anyone else had produced them.
It did the job and the saddle didnt budge.

I have now used it on all my horses and boss ended up using it up to 4*, without any problems on what ever size/shape horse.
That is until Max came along, He cant wear it, it fits fine but it rubs him wherever it touches him.

Currently I am just using a martingale and simple breastgirth that clips to D rings. He is only starting at intro and saddle doesnt budge so I am happy atm.
If money was no object I would have a v check (but only if they go over the withers) and a breast girth (from girth).

Mbronze

Ok, so I'm sold on the necessity of having to get a breastplate
grin.gif

The jeffries breastplate does look very nice. Is there a massive difference between makes? I mean the Kolibri looks very good too, but is it worth the extra £80?

KatB

Visit site
Ah I always use a breastplate, but have a breastgirth, a V check, and a hunting breastplate and a 5point at the moment... it was originally brought for G as he had a tendency to throw everything backwards and it offered a bit more security... stopped using it when he stopped throwing his saddles back (when he muscled up more!) It probably has the best resale value of the lot and I have too much stuff!
tongue.gif

Mbronze

Mickeymoo, I know exactly what you are saying! i have hunted my previous horse for about 7yrs without one and then done up to PN without one with current horse. But I can see the reason for it being a safety belt. 3 or 5 point I don't know?

hmk101

Visit site
I have a cheaper traditional one for jumping at home and the devoucoux for parties. I had an enforced break this year and none of my tack was used. I have recently wiped my devoucoux over for the first time since March ( bad me) and it looks like new nearly 5 years on. Excellent quality. My traditional one has faired less well and after 3 years is pretty knackered.

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
TD do you really think they are a necessity?...

I have always thought of them as being used purely to prevent a saddle slipping back in which case I would probubly get the saddle refitted so it didn't do that anymore.

In all the time I have ridden I have only ever used a hunting breastplate once for a HUGE hunter trial I did because I had a borrowed saddle on as his main one was off for re-seat-covering. It didn't even cross my mind to use one for eventing as his saddle has never slipped until I read this thread...

Can you think of any top eventers who don't use one?....

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Agree with kerilli and millitiger on this one, have got some lovely "traditional" ones to use xc, all saddles fit the neddies and dont really like the 5 point ones........

kerilli

Visit site
Chloe, i really do think they're a necessity, a breastplate or breastgirth. you'll struggle to find a pic of an eventer competing without one...!
and no, i don't use it to keep the saddle forward, my saddles fit as well as possible, but it's a safety-net. i've not seen it happen eventing, but i've seen a few NH horses and p2p'ers whose saddles slipped (always a worry with v fit TBs, and esp herring-gutted horses, their body can be like a tapering tube!), and the consequences weren't nice at all. tightness of girth (esp with elastic girths, which a lot use) doesn't necessary make much difference.

kizzywiz

Visit site
I always wear a breastplate for everything, dressage included in case I need to grab on to something. Agree that you guys jumping over what appear to me to be massive fences with gay abandon should always wear one for safety. I really wanted a 5 point, just because I am a bit sad & like to dress my beloved up, but they don't make one small enough for a 14hh pony, so got a nice elasticated v check one for parties, but if I were you I'd get the most fluffy super dooper one I could find & then imagine myself at Badminton.