I feel the need to get one, but do I really need one?

only_me

Visit site
I always wear a breastplate on my horse, regardless of what we are doing
tongue.gif

He dosent go in behind his shoulders so no matter what saddle i use it is always going to slip back
tongue.gif

I really like the look of the 5 point but then i like hunting types, I am about to order the amigo one as i think it looks smart
tongue.gif

you should always use a breastplate xc, as it is there *just in case*
smile.gif

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Chloe, i really do think they're a necessity, a breastplate or breastgirth. you'll struggle to find a pic of an eventer competing without one...!

[/ QUOTE ]

Harumph *sulk* I really hate to say this but I think you might be right!
smile.gif
I just spent 10mins googling images and couldn't find a single one of a high level eventer not using some sort of breastplate. I find this so odd in 26 years of riding noone has EVER advised me to use a breastplate xc....I'm totally bewildered about that, how did I manage to slip through the net?..... surely I'm not the only one?.... *bamboozled*

MegaBeast

Visit site
There was a recent pic posted by someone on here of Lucinda Green going cross country, can't remember where, but taking an absolute flyer on a brown horse, with no boots of breastplate if I remember correctly, but can't remember who took the photo, was in with a whole batch of others.

MillbrookSong

heartbuster.blogspot.com
Interesting post! i always used to use a breatplate but this season and maybe last i havnt only used one on the 4yo as his tack slips back terrible. Might have to go and dig out a bigger one for song or put it on the wish list!!

Fiona

Visit site
mbronze - yes they look beautiful but are they practical. I have yet to see one (correct me if I'm wrong though) where the sheepskin bits are detachable. Think how yucky they are going to get after a while and how hard to clean, and how easy a plain leather breastgirth or a hunting breastplate are to polish up again after muddy hunting or an early season event.

One of mine doesn't need a martingale so she just wears a leather breastgirth, though I might buy a sheepskin cover for it this season perhaps. Other mare wears a hunting breastplate (with a tiny elastic insert) with clipped on martingale.

Someone on HHO had a horse who wouldn't jump in a 5 point breastplate - was it beauchamp (aka thistle)????

There is a v smart Mark Todd hunting style breastplate which is lovely and showy looking.

I do agree in general though - shopping for new tack is LOTS of fun, but would rather have a new bridle and breastplate for probably the cost of a 5 point breastplate - frugal Ulster Scot speaking here
tongue.gif

Enjpy your spending spree anyway!

Fiona