I gave my riding school loan back today...

ArklePig

Visit site
This is a thread without a point really other than to say how grateful I am.

As some of you know, I've had a riding school pony on loan for lockdown.

It's been an education to say the least, for someone who has no real horsey friends (yet) and started riding 2 years ago after not being on a horse since I was a child. I just wanted to pop on here and thank everyone who offered me so much advice and help when I've asked many many (sometimes silly) questions.

You all really helped me get the most out of Jack. He's an older boy, and a bit spooky and he tries his heart out every time. We've had a period of lameness, a concussion, and two bulging discs in my back but despite all that I've loved almost every minute.

I'm only slightly ashamed to admit at the ripe age of 30 I cried my eyes out driving home after giving back 'my' pony. I won't be returning to that riding school, it was kind of an any pony/any port in a storm situation when my usual riding school closed for lockdown, so I don't think I'll see him again. He's a good boy, and this is a great forum, so tonight I'm just feeling thankful for everything Jack and all of you have taught me.

In happier news, I've found myself a fab share cob, who is also a good boy who tries his best so watch this space for more silly questions coming your way! ❤️

windand rain

Visit site
Well done on asking and listening I hope you will continue to ask question and filter through that advice to find what sits well with you. You will learn so much and make another pony's life better for it. You will never know everything so it is good to have thousands of years of experience to glean things from and even after 57 years I am still learning from people of all ages and experiences. Some is blatant nonsense but those are usually quickly pointed out even if that is not always appreciated. Stick with your gut feelings and keep it simple and it should give you years of fun learning,

ArklePig

Visit site
Thanks pearlsasinger.

I was nervous going to meet new boy, as I know that his owner had plenty of interest in him because he's such a legend. I did say to her I'm not the best rider and I'm still learning all the other stuff too but she is such a reasonable person she said that as long as I was willing to learn and was the type to ask her for help if I needed it we'd do just fine. She's a lovely lady he's a lovely cob and I'm the luckiest ever to have found them.

If it wasn't for Jack and the help I'd had on here I wouldn't have had the confidence to even respond to her ad for a sharer.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thanks pearlsasinger.

I was nervous going to meet new boy, as I know that his owner had plenty of interest in him because he's such a legend. I did say to her I'm not the best rider and I'm still learning all the other stuff too but she is such a reasonable person she said that as long as I was willing to learn and was the type to ask her for help if I needed it we'd do just fine. She's a lovely lady he's a lovely cob and I'm the luckiest ever to have found them.

If it wasn't for Jack and the help I'd had on here I wouldn't have had the confidence to even respond to her ad for a sharer.

I think both you and the new horse are lucky. I think this share will work out beautifully.

FWIW, I had a sharer with a horse of mine who was not very experienced. I valued her as I trusted her to tell the truth and do her best. That was the single (or double!) most important thing.

ArklePig

Visit site
Lovely post AP. Don’t worry about being sentimental, at the ripe old age of 50 I cried when I said goodbye to my trekking companion of 4 days last October so I’d be in bits over a loan horse of a few months. I get very attached very quickly.

Oh bless you I'd be the same. I cried when I left an old riding school that really wasn't right for me because I loved the mare I rode there, once a week for half an hour. She was also a cob, I never would have thought I was so into cobs but I'm beginning to see a real theme here. They've a way of making you fall in love with them ?

ArklePig

Visit site
I'll probably give him his own thread at some stage but, here is me and new share cob today after our lesson. He was really testing me today, nothing nasty just making me work.

He really needs a lot of leg, almost like he needs to be consistently hugged so the instructor asked me to try my stirrups a bit longer than usual. Not sure I like the feel of it, but I'll try shorter on our next outing and see how we go.

His name is Finbar by the way.

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_214237_999.jpg
    IMG_20210412_214237_999.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 41

Tarragon

Visit site
What a lovely post! Your new share looks great and I look forward to hearing of all your adventures with Finbar.
I also love this forum - I have learnt so much over the years! Mind you, it took me several years before I was brave enough to post my own comments :)