I have a confession

HotToTrot

Visit site
The seasons are inextricably linked, in my mind, with horses and with eventing. As each season passes to make way for the new one, a stream of poignant memories flood unchecked through my mind. Some are older, some are more recent, but they're all very real and they all make me realise, every day, how lucky I am to have had the horses and the experiences I've had.

Winter. Cold, frosty mornings, the ground hard underfoot. The impatience of fully-clipped horses, the excitement and the adrenalin of chasing through the fields of Norfolk with the Dunston Harriers as a wayward teenager.

Spring. Anticipation, preparation. Eventing dreams that may come true, and eventing hopes that may be shattered. Isleham in the mud, coming home from Tweseldown in the dark, testing myself, finding out where I am really am after the winter off.

Summer. Long, hazy, hot summer. The event season in full swing, now, with plans to be made, entries to be done, ice cream to be eaten after my round. Sweaty, slick wet horses and dust from arena surfaces.

Autumn. Oh, autumn. The leaves fall from the tress now and I frantically hold on to what's left of the season. Don't go, summer. Don't be over for another year. But autumn's a special, happy, nostalgic time for me. South of England, three years ago now. My first ever one-star on Vito. The dream that became reality when we went Intermediate at Oasby. The sheer giddy exhilaration and the possibilities that opened up before me as Vito jumped right through the glass ceiling that existed above Novice in my mind, landed out on a green-flagged course, and just kept on galloping. Last autumn. My first two star. My husband, holding Parrot as he grazed in hand at Aldon, stable quilt on now, the evening already cold.

And this autumn. My last autumn, my last year. Because - we're off. We're leaving the country.

Eventers tend to be a patient bunch. We like to wait for "another day", we assure each other that "there's no rush". We say we have "all the time in the world". Like most things that tend to apply to the majority of normal people, though, I have always had the uneasy feeling that these pearls of wisdom weren't true for me. Every time that I thought it could get no more ridiculous, my life promptly got more ridiculous, until, let's summarise: I had two kids under four, one horse at Advanced, one horse out at BE100, a job with a top US City law firm and various friends and family members to spend time with. There was no doubt about it, I was flying very close to the sun, and if I stayed there for too long, then at some point, my wings would fall off. I didn't know how they'd fall off, but I knew that I had to keep pressing on whilst I still had them; I had to go for it, grab every opportunity that presented itself, and push as far as I could, because one day, I knew there wouldn't be "another day". That day is now.

In all honesty, I thought the kids would pull my wings off. I thought that they'd become more independent and I'd have to give up eventing so I could take them to netball or rugby at weekends. Or maybe the horses would pull my wings off. Maybe they'd retire from eventing and not get replaced. What I didn't know was that I would pull them off myself. I didn't know that when the chance came up for us to move to Japan, that I'd say yes. That when my husband, sentimental now about Vito and Parrot, suggested that we fly one or both out, that I'd shake my head and, fighting back the tears, that I'd say no. Tokyo was not the place for my horses, and they would stay here, with new owners.

So I was in a rush. Did this persuade me to run Advanced at Aston last month? Yeah. Slightly. Now or never - really, truly, now or never. So we did, we so nearly completed, and then on Monday we ran again at Wellington.

Someone asked me (PaddyMonty) in my last blog, whether trouble happened to me, or whether I sought it out. Well, I can tell you quite categorically, that yes, it does indeed find me. The dressage was amazingly ok. 46, no less, and a comment about a talented horse! Good grief, I thought, as I'd created the normal mayhem by going in out of number order, getting confused as to whether I was allowed to be in the arena at all and generally belting about a bit and trying to do some vague approximation of half-pass, was the judging watching the horse next door?!

Every pro and his wife was in the showjumping warm up. Pippa Funnel looked focussed as she warmed up over an oxer. Ludwig Svennerstal floated about in all his glorious blondness. Toddy mooched over on a long rein. William Fox-Pitt cantered quietly out after a nice round. And me. What was I doing? Well, I can tell you just exactly what I was doing in amongst all this. As I cantered in, I saw that fence 1 was down. I considered jumping it anyway, as it would be easier to jump with the top rail off, but my integrity got the better of me and I called to the arena party to put it up. Poor jump 1. After having been studiously ignored by the arena party, its day was really not about to get much better. Because in I came, leaving the warm-up full of pros behind me, and proceeded to quite unashamedly and brazenly straddle the defenceless, unsuspecting fence, before I'd even so much as introduced myself and asked after its health.

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/V...52063699828383_o_zpss2mdazbq.jpg.html?filters[user]=136295434&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Poor Parrot. I'd shut down the canter far too much and he, keen to help me and game for jumping irrespective of my idiocy, had tried. But all he could manage was the first rail and then we stood, lemming-like, stuck in the middle of fence one at Wellington, waiting patiently for the arena party to come and fish us out. Thankfully, it all got somewhat better, and we manage to get on and jump well enough after that.

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/V...dleton Viviane 2_zpskbwbtmbw.jpg.html?filters[user]=136295434&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Vito hadn't fared much better in his 100 at Keysoe, either, so, if there was ever any doubt on the subject, then let it now be dispelled. A career as a professional show jumper is not one I will be pursuing when we move to Tokyo.

All I could do was laugh, and resolve to ease off the handbrake a bit when we set out over the fixed fences. It went mainly well, my super horse utterly saved my backside when I had a wobble at a ditch parallel, but we cantered home and the wider showjump population breathed a collective sigh of relief when it became apparent that the potentially fatal Viv Epidemic that looked set to claim the lives of many thousands of innocent show jumps seemed, for now, to have been stopped in its tracks.

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/V...dleton Viviane 1_zpszhy1ixkc.jpg.html?filters[user]=136295434&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/V...dleton Viviane 1_zpsbuk1nlol.jpg.html?filters[user]=136295434&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/V...dleton Viviane 1_zpsr8bjadsl.jpg.html?filters[user]=136295434&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

AR_x

Visit site
I am very sad to hear this as I will miss your reports! Rather impressed by the show jumping moves. Best of luck with the move and if you struggle to find homes for the horses they are more than welcome to stay with me! :D

Mrs B

Visit site
Sorry to read this in a totally selfish kind of way. I love reading your stuff and it makes me smile and it also makes me want to give myself a kick up the backside to do more ... I did it once. I can again!... but it always leaves me in awe of what you achieve.

One of my favourite quotes which seems to fit you well is by Hunter S Thompson:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Good luck to you. Go for it! :)

Last edited:

numptynoelle

Visit site
What an amazing opportunity! :biggrin3: I have a very good friend in Tokyo who moved there with her job not that long out of uni and just adores the place - she says it's utterly mad, traditional and wonderful, all at the same time. Not the mention all the kitkat flavours... :wink3: Have an amazing time!

EventerMum

Visit site
Temporary suspension, but you'll be back I hope - once the kids are grown up and you have time for yourself, you'll come back to it....and I look forward to it. In the meantime, enjoy all the sushi you can eat :)

meesha

Visit site
Fantastic report from the heart, good luck in Japan, it sounds like you deserve a slower pace of life. Love the pics amazing xc jumping....

View

Visit site
Oh, I will miss your reports (I do enjoy going round those XCs with you :) ). Good luck, you are much braver than me - I only moved 400 miles south and can't imagine relocating a family to another continent.

You do seem to live by carpe diem.

LeannePip

Visit site
So sorry to read this but now with the lack of eventing filling (all! ;P) your spare time, you could get round to writing that book for all of us!

will really miss your reports, but wish you and the family all the best for the relocation!

I'm sure both boys will find amazing homes, they really are a credit to you!

ETA - I also can't see the photos! :(

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
Wow. This has been a real bolt from the blue. I wouldn't dream of making such a move, so best of luck to you and your family and I hope all goes well :) :) xx

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
:lol: didn't connect that picture with you when I saw it on fb mustn't have been paying attention :D. Excellent report as ever and how exciting for Tokyo! Sad at the same time but definitely exciting first and foremost :).

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
so they have to be your worst attempt at posting photo links yet...

I have tried to get to them in a variety of ways and failed. . .

so I have taken these off the TE fb and hope the last 3 are what you intended.

14095735_10153659183907470_4995279834412733390_n.jpg

14183792_10153659213702470_5250409825686023345_n.jpg

14141533_10153659213282470_7568485441360436885_n.jpg

14192747_10153659213447470_3986863467657246599_n.jpg

ester

Visit site
I do think you are more nuts to be going to tokyo than for having multiple babies while eventing etc etc but I am a home bod. We'll be here waiting for your return!

ester

Visit site
I think the issue before was that the forum turned it into a URL and therefore shortened the code, and turned it into 2 half hyperlinks if that helps.

LiffWee93

Visit site
I was there watching at Wellington, everyone commented on what a sweet horse he was to let people dismantle the jump around him! Glad to see you made it round :D sad to hear we won't be getting any more reports, but good luck in Tokyo! I'd love to go there so really jealous if I'm honest!

teapot

Visit site
Noo, what a shame for no more reports but the new job sounds exciting! You're still my new hero though re that first fence.

PS - does that mean we can all head to your's for 2020?

Nicnac

Visit site
Hmmm - anyone else suspect that this is actually an undercover ninja move to get H2T and P(C)arrot to Tokyo 2020....?:D:D

Seriously - good luck and the people who get to take over Vito and P are privileged indeed.

HotToTrot

Visit site
I am very sad to hear this as I will miss your reports! Rather impressed by the show jumping moves. Best of luck with the move and if you struggle to find homes for the horses they are more than welcome to stay with me! :D

The showjumping pic is rather special!

Good luck with Japan.

It's good fun for a short career building break. A few of OH's contemporaries went there for a while (he works for a top 5 FTSE petrochemical company.)

They were very glad to get back.

All the best. I'll miss your reports.

Thanks, it is exciting!

Sorry to read this in a totally selfish kind of way. I love reading your stuff and it makes me smile and it also makes me want to give myself a kick up the backside to do more ... I did it once. I can again!... but it always leaves me in awe of what you achieve.

One of my favourite quotes which seems to fit you well is by Hunter S Thompson:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Good luck to you. Go for it! :)

I agree with that!

What an amazing opportunity! :biggrin3: I have a very good friend in Tokyo who moved there with her job not that long out of uni and just adores the place - she says it's utterly mad, traditional and wonderful, all at the same time. Not the mention all the kitkat flavours... :wink3: Have an amazing time!

Kitkat flavours?!

Lévrier;13356777 said:
Wow. This has been a real bolt from the blue. I wouldn't dream of making such a move, so best of luck to you and your family and I hope all goes well :) :) xx

Thank you!

So sorry to read this but now with the lack of eventing filling (all! ;P) your spare time, you could get round to writing that book for all of us!

will really miss your reports, but wish you and the family all the best for the relocation!

I'm sure both boys will find amazing homes, they really are a credit to you!

ETA - I also can't see the photos! :(

Ah Ester to the rescue!

Oh, I will miss your reports (I do enjoy going round those XCs with you :) ). Good luck, you are much braver than me - I only moved 400 miles south and can't imagine relocating a family to another continent.

You do seem to live by carpe diem.

Yikes indeed!

Fantastic report from the heart, good luck in Japan, it sounds like you deserve a slower pace of life. Love the pics amazing xc jumping....

He is awesome.

Temporary suspension, but you'll be back I hope - once the kids are grown up and you have time for yourself, you'll come back to it....and I look forward to it. In the meantime, enjoy all the sushi you can eat :)

Ski des carra, sushi o tabetides...!!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Is this the picture you mean?

WX6_18066-%20Advanced%20Mon%20Section%20U%201001-1050_-_1004%20KATES%20TOUCH%20Pendleton%20Viviane%201_zpszhy1ixkc.jpg

Really sad news for us, as your reports are fantastically written ad very entertaining, but what an exciting new phase of your life. I think you'll fit in in Tokyo, I've heard they're all lunatics :wink3: Just read a fascinating book based around Tokyo: Exit A by Anthony Swofford, worth checking it out first!

HotToTrot

Visit site
You mean we don't get Japaneventing :( will miss seeing your reports but incredible opportunity, answers the question I asked myself on seeing your ads.

Yes - whether I will be riding Parrot at Gatcombe in my bikini and a head collar, having sold all my kit!

:lol: didn't connect that picture with you when I saw it on fb mustn't have been paying attention :D. Excellent report as ever and how exciting for Tokyo! Sad at the same time but definitely exciting first and foremost :).

Ha, who else would pull a move like that?

Wow, what a huge life change! Will really miss your reports but sounds like you're on for a brand new adventure anyway. Nothing like living life to the full!

I hope so!

I think the issue before was that the forum turned it into a URL and therefore shortened the code, and turned it into 2 half hyperlinks if that helps.

Look, I'm learning Japanese, not techno speak. I still don't even know what an "app" is, or why I would want one. Ni-hin no ikimas!

I was there watching at Wellington, everyone commented on what a sweet horse he was to let people dismantle the jump around him! Glad to see you made it round :D sad to hear we won't be getting any more reports, but good luck in Tokyo! I'd love to go there so really jealous if I'm honest!

See, I am glad that people said how wonderful he was, rather than how awful I was, for having done that to him in the first place!

Noo, what a shame for no more reports but the new job sounds exciting! You're still my new hero though re that first fence.

PS - does that mean we can all head to your's for 2020?

It's quite impressive, isn't it!

rachk89

Visit site
Will be sad to not see anymore reports but good luck in Japan. Think you are leaving behind a lot of people, myself included, who are inspired to try eventing because of your reports. Can't see me ever being brave enough to even do BE 100 but maybe 80. Good luck over there :)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Gutted your going. I think we need a h&h petition to stop this atrocity and maybe let you go to Wellington or Oz so you can event in the winter and keep us entertained.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
I don't post on here very often, but have been a reader for many years! So sorry you are going - love your reports and your good humour! Love the photos, especially the last sj one, and your ability to laugh at yourself.
I have never met you or even seen you at an event competing, but feel, in some strange internet way, that we know you and your wonderful supportive family!
I was always delighted to see a post from you appear, with some funny title and knew it would be a great read!
We will miss you but good luck in Japan and hopefully one day in the future we will see Hottotrot reports appear once again X

ahml100

Visit site
Firstly, well done on completing an advance all I can say is wow!-Alf and I can only hope to even get to the qualified stage let alone the start box. Though, one does have to say, leaving the country after losing the battle of the dressage marks does seem a rather extreme measure!? In a serious note, all the best of luck!