I have owned my horse for...

HashRouge

Visit site
Friday marked 17 years of owning my Arab mare, Lou Lou. I sometimes think about it and wonder where the time went! I can still remember being at school (I was 11 when I got her) and knowing that she was being delivered at lunch time and would be there by the time I got back from school. Excited doesn't even cover it! Our first year together was very much a case of the blind leading the blind (or at least, the temperamental Arab mare leading the know-it-all kid!) but fortunately she was a generous horse and I was a determined kid, so we gradually formed a fabulous bond. She's still the fastest horse I've ever ridden! I have so many incredible memories of riding her, and some slightly less incredible ones too where I ended up on the floor!

Because she was tall for me when I got her (15hh) and I have always been light, I was able to keep riding her regularly until I was pretty much 22. Then she was slowly retired due to her arthritis and now lives out with my sister's gelding. Since I am not her rider anymore she seems to have promoted (or demoted? :p) me to headscratcher in chief and food bearer. She'll be 26 in February but still likes to flirt with all the boys!

I'm going to try to post photos but I don't know if I'll manage! The reason her martingale is so short in the first one is because, in the first year, she had a habit of flinging her head up, whacking me on the nose, then broncing off across the school! There is about 14 years between the two photos. In the back ground of the second one you can see her best friend and companion, Legend.

482355_10150596620366432_384653945_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pippixox

Visit site
Crazy how time flies. This Christmas I will have had my first horse for 12 years. We also had an interesting first year but been pretty easy since then (15 year old and an 8 year old ex racer- wonderful temprament but very green) and my second horse I’ve had for 8 years!

swilliam

Visit site
A month ago we lost our lovely pony, Razzle Dazzle, almost exactly 18 years and one month after we bought her. I don't know where the time went.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Lovely post thanks for sharing she is obviously very special and it's so nice that you have grown up together.

I have had Arabi 14 years he was a weedy little 2 year old colt back then, and have had Louis 4 years don't know where the time has gone.

texenstar

Visit site
She's gorgeous! I love Arabs! I had my Arab for 10 years from when I was 13 to 23 when he unfortunately passed away :( amazing horses, I hope can get another Arab sometime in the future!

There is something really special about being with the same horse whilst growing up :)

Picture of my boy back in his younger days!

Attachments

• 15235679_10154527099990932_2152564517420042427_o.jpg
    15235679_10154527099990932_2152564517420042427_o.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 18

cowgirl16

Visit site
Had my old Connie PTS last summer, we were together 31 years, got him as a cocky 2 year old just gelded. Incredible to think he was with me for half of my life. So many changes to my life in those 31 years, and he was always there for me. My best pal - don't think the hole in my heart will ever be filled.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
She lovely HashRouge, we’re so lucky when we find a keeper to cherish in old age.

My old boy 13yrs 5months

IlTf2wv.jpg

awriPVJ.jpg

2018 October with new boy only had about 10 weeks.
jGjikrY.jpg

rosiesowner

Visit site
Loving this thread

It'll be 3 years in April so... 2 years and 7 months. Time flies! She's 17 now so was 14 when I first took her on loan. I've been lucky that she has the most amazing owner who gives me a free rein (if you'll pardon the pun) and knows in return that she can visit her whenever she wants and she doesn't need to ask and will find her in fine fettle.

Photos from 2016...

Second day, fresh out of the field after being on holiday for a few months:
13015133_572265966266388_5652030610301571818_n.jpg
Eager to be jumping:
13697228_607125952780389_8498413281070810607_n.jpg13718530_610581695768148_9015340700511308143_n.jpg

2018:

Not so keen as jumpers now. We do it more for fun very occasionally. As you can see, her dapples have all pretty much gone now by the age of 17!
31948828_947543758738605_3593790739349241856_o.jpg
45657561_1088284887997824_5647912325299044352_o.jpg

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'll have owned H for 19 years in Jan, but I've known him since he was 2, which is almost 25 years ago! He's still lightly ridden and left behind the two horses half his age, yesterday. The boy's a legend, round here!

Fiona

Visit site
She is really gorgeous OP..... Congratulations on your owniversary x x

Hubby has had his 20yo mare for 17 years now, I've had my TB for 13.. The other two are new additions, at 10 months and 18 months respectively for the Welsh and Connie.....

Fiona

huskydamage

Visit site
Some lovely stories 🙂
Ive had my pony coming up for 17yrs she will be 26 soon. I have slowed her work down a bit after she got injured 1year ago. No more hunting or comps, she still likes a day out though, hound exercise etc gets excited as ever.
My 'new' horse still feels new but already had her 15months now, where does the time go!

Annagain

Visit site
It's so lovely when you grow up together. I had my old boy when we were both 13 and lost him very unexpectedly 3 days before my 27th birthday and 6 weeks before his. He kept me sane during my teenage years and was the constant in my life when so much was changing. I sobbed into his neck so many times - he saw me through arguments with my parents, my first break-up, fallings out with friends. He was my escape during my GCSEs and A Levels. The yard was the first place I drove to after passing my driving test. He was always there when I came home from uni - luckily his old owner (it was very complicated and she was still sort of his owner) cared for him while I was away so he never had to go anywhere on loan. He almost made it to my wedding, whcih is what I always wanted. I think part of the reason I miss him so much now is because he was there through such an important part of my life.

Crazydancer

Visit site
What a lovely horse and lovely thread! My boy is a PBA, next June he'll be 27 (I hope) and in July I will have owned him 26 years...... I knew his sire and wanted him while he was still cooking!! I followed his every move from the moment he was born, and bought him as soon as he was for sale.
He's been a superstar, a bit like the OP, it was the blind leading the blind as I'd not had a lot of experience before him, so it could have gone horribly wrong! But he was a sensible boy (mainly) and has given a massive amount of fun and pleasure to me and a host of other sharers and friends along the way. He is only 14.2, but a huge character. He's now enjoying retirement since he had a bit of bother with arthritis, but he is now happy doing what he loves most, eating and chilling out with some mates.

Hack4fun

Visit site
What a great thread. Only those who own horses can understand what stunning companions they are, and how equestrian and equine work together to keep each other safe. It is great to read these stories of long journeys together through life, and sad to learn about the painful partings.

HashRouge

Visit site
Thank you for turning this into such a lovely thread everyone! It is such a privilege to own one horse for a long time and I think you really do form a special bond with them. I have really enjoyed reading all your posts about your beloved horses, and I'm so sorry to those of you who have lost them recently. I think that is my worst fear, because when they have been there for such a lot of your life (especially when you were growing up) how do you learn to be without them?

I look back and I have done all sorts of daft things with Lou Lou over the years. Some of them really were a bit stupid, but I still treasure the memories because it was part of us growing to together. I once took her on a 4 hour bareback ride; I fell off her riding back from the field without a hat and couldn't walk for a week (I know, I have only myself to blame!); galloped her up the field with no bridle or hat and only wearing flip flops (I was a bit wild back then!); and got stranded hacking in a blizzard on Christmas day and had to be rescued by my Mum, who drove behind me all the way back to the yard with her hazards on. They're the sort of foolhardy thing you do as a teenager I suppose - and I was lucky to have such a fabulous partner in crime! Now my favourite thing to do is stand in the field for cuddles. She has never been a snuggly horse particularly, but she does like a quiet cuddle, especially if it is sunny. She will stand next to me and I will lean on her shoulder and she will fall asleep - she even rocks backwards and forwards! Then all of a sudden she'll wake up, decide she's had enough, and head off for more grass. She does make me laugh!

Doesn't she have the most kissable nose!

Last edited by a moderator:

Beth206

Visit site
I have owned my first horse for just over 2 years, she was 3 when I got her and is now rising 6. Like another poster said; first year was like blind leading the blind, this will be our 3rd winter together and I feel like we finally have each other more or less sussed out.

I wish I had bought her when I was a teen, I have great memories of carefree rides with friends when I was younger but I bought her when I was 25 and I just don't have the balls any more. This year we went on our first fun ride together, I am looking at getting transport in the new year in the hope that we can broaden our horizons with some good hacks and fun rides and lessons/clinics.

I bought her when my mum was diagnosed with cancer, we lost mum in July. When mum passed I made a promise to my horse that I would invest a lot more time into her now I could, and honestly the difference in our bond since July is remarkable. We were out hacking with a friend this weekend and she commented what a lovely mare she has become over the past months. I love her dearly and do believe she will be with me til the end, shes supported me through the darkest time and in honor of that I owe it to her.

Obligatory picture(s), of course

IMG_20180822_202611_423.jpg20181113_123356.jpg20180511_205818.jpg

JoannaC

Visit site
She's gorgeous Hashrouge, what's her breeding? I've had Ishara ten years this year can't believe how the time has gone, had her half sister for ten years but lost her at 15 which is the age Ishara is next year!

Last edited: