I have to sell my wonderful boy :(

Toast

Visit site
OH got pulled by an unmarked police car last night seemingly for driving with no insurance.
The insurance company cancelled his insurance without telling him due to a problem with his policy. They made the mistake and are trying to cover up and pin the blame on OH. So unless we can rectify the problem, he'll have 6 points and a £200 fine. This puts his point up to 9 in total meaning he just cant afford to insure the car again until the points have gone.
So im having to sell my 4 year old to pay to get my license and insure his car as mine will be clean and cheaper than his.
Im gutted :(

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Can't he do third party insurance rather than comprehensive. You should not feel obliged to sort this out for him, perhaps he can get an extra job, there are always vacancies before Xmas, eg Amazon and others.
You can't insure his car for him, or might he end up uninsured again, his car is his car not yours, be very careful.
If you dont have a licence your own insurance will be high anyway.
The Insurance company will always tell people if they are withdrawing insurance, ask them for evidence.

Last edited:

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Why? It's not your fault he's been pulled over and 6 points already on his licence, shouldn't he have taken more care, just make sure you find a decent home for your horse.

Batgirl

Visit site
An insurance company cannot cancel without notification, the only time they can is if it hasn't been paid for. I would fight strongly with the insurance company. Sorry for your situation.

LeannePip

Visit site
oh poor you :( thats awful hopefully you can get it sorted with the insurance company - i have no idea how it works but just an idea - any chance your OH could downsize the car for a couple of years to something like a little 1ltr. the difference in car size may be the difference for the points? i recently had to put 3points on my licence, I'm 19 and have had my licence just short of 2 years and have a small clio 1,4 sport and my insurance didn't go up all that much if anything from last year however if i'd kept my little 1ltr my insurance would be down about £150 to what it is, could you also go 3rd party instead of fully comp? maybe just making things up - such an awful situation on your part - could you try and loan him first to free up the monthly cash to go towards the insurance incase the insurance company are found to be at fault and you can have him back?

Star_Chaser

Visit site
Has he paid the premium? If he has then providing proof of payment should be all he needs to resolve the problem and have a cover note provided for the incident? Thats a hefty price to pay for a clerical error :(

mandwhy

Visit site
My insurance got cancelled once long ago when I coukdnt pay it, they sent me letters for about 3 months! Are you sure this hasn't happened? And if they didn't inform you then you need to get on their case big time and seek advice.

Why should you make up for his error anyway? Maybe you or he could borrow money if you want to keep your 4yo? Depends how much the horse is worth I guess.

Good luck anyway I hope you get it sorted without selling!

bonny

Visit site
The same thing happened to me when I was driving someone's else's car which unknown to me or him the insurance had been cancelled. It went to court and was thrown out in minutes....if you think he has a good case then tell him to plead not guilty and let it go to court.

rockysmum

Visit site
When you say "get my licence" do you mean you dont already have a full licence.

If you are going to insure it on a provisional then you might find its just as expensive as OH would pay. Depends somewhat on how old you are of course.

And if you are thinking of adding OH as a named driver it will really go through the roof.

Check it out before you sell your boy, no point in parting with him for nothing.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
It is rare that the insurance policy is cancelled without the insured person knowing, so I would guess that your OH was well aware that he was driving illegally. I would not be selling my horse to bail him out from this mess. I hate to say this, but if he was driving without insurance and is now saying it was the insurance company is at fault and you get him out of this one, then what is to stop him doing it with something else and expect you to foot the bill?

FionaM12

Visit site
I feel for you, so sorry to hear this.

I do understand where people are coming from saying it's not your problem, but when all your finances are combined with another person's, their problems are yours too really. I used to be married to someone who was totally irresponsible and a spendaholic and the only way his money problems stopped being mine was by my divorcing him. Even then I was left with a load of debt he'd run up which took me years to clear.

I'm not saying your OH is like that, just trying to point out that being married/living with someone does mean their actions directly affect you.

newera

Visit site
Well I would certainly not sell my horse in order to bail out my OH, because of his carelessness and inability to open and read his post! Perhaps his parents are in a better position to help him out?

FionaM12

Visit site
When you say "get my licence" do you mean you dont already have a full licence.

If you are going to insure it on a provisional then you might find its just as expensive as OH would pay. Depends somewhat on how old you are of course.

And if you are thinking of adding OH as a named driver it will really go through the roof.

Yes I thought that too.

Toast

Visit site
Why? It's not your fault he's been pulled over and 6 points already on his licence, shouldn't he have taken more care, just make sure you find a decent home for your horse.

Thanks for that, thats not what i needed right now.

As i stated before, it isnt his fault. There was no warning they were cancelling his insurance despite their lies that they had tried to contact him. They made several mistakes on the phone this morning and it is being dealt with as best we can and hopefully this will be rectified. However, knowing they have made mistakes they are trying to cover up as best they can and its proving very difficult to get the result we want.
I was just saying the worst case scenario is that he'll have to take the points and fine.

And i shouldn't have to justify why i'd sell my horse in this situation. But as i dont have a license myself, currently i rely on him to take me to the yard to see to my horses every night. I have two, and i will have to sacrifice one, to be able to see to the other.

navaho

Visit site
No insurance is alot more than 3 points...usually a minimum of 6.

Can i just ask who he was insured with as we have had problems with our insurance company as well (& i know someone else has had the same problem with them as well). Long & short of it was if we hadnt of called the company to see what was going on they would have cancelled our insurance without telling us, very glad we called when we did or we could have been in your situation.
PM me if you would prefer.

Last edited:

Aidey

Visit site
Why is he letting you? If it was the other way around I would be telling my OH that no way were they selling their horse to sort out my problem.

I once sold one of my horses for my then boyfriend (of 4 years and the father of my child). NEVER again!

Elsiecat

Visit site
Mistakes happen. Either on the insurance companies side or the OP's OH side.

If he's adamant that he had no notification, then he should take it to court.
Good luck OP, I hope you don't have to sell your boy! :(

Toast

Visit site
Can i please just reiterate that it IS NOT my oh's fault. This is entirely the incompetence of the insurance company who are now back tracking to cover up their mistakes. No they did not notify him. And they are refusing to back date it.
I cant be bothered to go into detail. Im just sad that the community of HHO have failed to read my post properly and assumed that what i have said isnt the truth.

I didnt need that, i just needed a bit of cheering up.

Toast

Visit site
No insurance is alot more than 3 points...usually a minimum of 6.

Can i just ask who he was insured with as we have had problems with our insurance company as well (& i know someone else has had the same problem with them as well). Long & short of it was if we hadnt of called the company to see what was going on they would have cancelled our insurance without telling us, very glad we called when we did or we could have been in your situation.
PM me if you would prefer.

As said in my OP, the penalty is 6 points and £200 fine.

The company is Echoice

bonny

Visit site
Thanks for that, thats not what i needed right now.

As i stated before, it isnt his fault. There was no warning they were cancelling his insurance despite their lies that they had tried to contact him. They made several mistakes on the phone this morning and it is being dealt with as best we can and hopefully this will be rectified. However, knowing they have made mistakes they are trying to cover up as best they can and its proving very difficult to get the result we want.
I was just saying the worst case scenario is that he'll have to take the points and fine.

And i shouldn't have to justify why i'd sell my horse in this situation. But as i dont have a license myself, currently i rely on him to take me to the yard to see to my horses every night. I have two, and i will have to sacrifice one, to be able to see to the other.

It sounds exactly like what happened to me as I said above....we both got off with it, just went to court and argued our case and won. If he really didn't know he wasn't insured then it's not an offence.

Toast

Visit site
It sounds exactly like what happened to me as I said above....we both got off with it, just went to court and argued our case and won. If he really didn't know he wasn't insured then it's not an offence.

That's reassuring!! Thankyou for that. We will be fighting it but the police have said he only has a week to produce the documents before they issue the penalty.

FionaM12

Visit site
Im just sad that the community of HHO have failed to read my post properly and assumed that what i have said isnt the truth.

I didnt need that, i just needed a bit of cheering up.

Only one or two have done that.

I do hope you're able to sort this out. An upsetting situation for you. :(