i jus cant see how people can do it

alfirules

Visit site
whilst walking round the fields today to check fencing, etc. i suddenly heard a rustlig noise and discovered an injured fox. the fox tried to run away but he was unable to as he was hurt and weak. he then just led down. i had a long look at him and got as close as i could to him and it really made me see what such a cute animal foxes are! he was soo sweet, they just look like a cross between a cat and a dog. so how people can hunt them is beyond me.

most huntspeople are dog or cat owners and i'm sure they think a lot of their pets so how can they hunt an animal so similar to the ones they love???

i know most people say foxes are pests cos they will kill sheep, chickens etc. but know dogs that have killed sheep and chickens!!! and most cats kill mice and birds.
why is it different for a fox??? they are just having food to survive. like we kill cows, sheep, chickens, rabbits, etc for our food.

and another excuse is that there population needs to be maintained. well in that case every species must need to kept to a certain number so why arent dogs, cats, us hunted to keep numbers down. because its unneccesary as it is for the hunting of foxes.

just needed to let that off my chest. sorry for the rant!!!
as for the fox we called the RSPCA who were on their way but i went back down to check on the fox and it had gone. so it must of managed to drag itself back to its set. he really was lovely tho. it was upsetting to see him in a ill way.

RunToEarth

Visit site
The fox looked cute. The fox looked lovely, sure you could have wrapped it up in a blanket and taken it home. Dont polar bears look cute too? Did you know that they can kill you? Polar bears that is. And guess what? Foxes arnt too friendly either come to think of it!

alfirules

Visit site
i know polar bears can kill but so can alot of things. but thats jus the way things are.

i do understand the countryside actually, i jus think that most people go hunting for the thrill of galloping around countryside. well actually i know they do cos thats why a lot of people i know do it.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
I love foxes, which is why I hunt.

So obviously you don't understand jack.

I have worked with sick foxes in the past. I have cried my eyes out over foxes dying in front of me and there was nothing anyone could do.

Hunts stop that suffering, hunts kill, not injure.

I saw a fox when I was last in london, walked out in front of me whilst I was driving, I swerved to miss it and then noticed why it was walking... it was near bald and dying of mange.

Do you know what? I feel [****] that I didn't kill it. I feel like utter rubbish that the poor thing is still suffering because I couldn't kill it.

I just don't see how people can do it, walking past an injured wild animal and not do the decent thing and kill it.

Weezy

Visit site
i do understand the countryside actually, i jus think that most people go hunting for the thrill of galloping around countryside. well actually i know they do cos thats why a lot of people i know do it.

The thrill of galloping around the countryside - sure that has something to do with it - however please read Dorey's post properly - like she says, HUNTING HELPS FOXES - yeah sounds ridiculous doesnt it, but hunting does and if you dont understand that then no, you dont understand the countryside

Clodagh

Visit site
But if hounds had found that injured fox it would have died instantly, and not dragged itself off to die slowly while the well meaning and thoroughly incompetent RSPCA tried to do something about it.
If the RSPCA had found it they would have put it through unimaginable stress.
Poir thing.
I like foxes, and love watching cubs in summer, but they live and die by the sword

SSM

Visit site
"so it must of managed to drag itself back to its set. he really was lovely tho. it was upsetting to see him in a ill way. " To die a long slow death of septicemia, this is what happens so often when they are shot - the farmer will often not care whether he has killed or maimed the fox as long as it stays away from their chicks etc. Hunting the animal is dispatched fully (whether by hounds or the hunts marksman)

Sooty

Visit site
So when you come across an injured fox you leave it where you found it? That is not the act of an animal lover. There would be far fewer foxes dying slowly from septic gunshot wounds or in snares and traps if hunting was still legal. If you are really concerned with animal cruelty, have a look into meat production methods. And yes, most hunt followers are just out for the chase, and to financially support an intrinsic part of the coutryside, they are not all bloodlusting violence crazed monsters. Yes, most cats do kill mice and birds - that is exactly why people in the countryside keep outdoor cats!

Hippy

Visit site
gunshot wounds or in snares and traps if hunting was still legal.

fox-hunting made little difference to the fox population. why then are hunters shooting, snaring trapping more? answer: to make the headlines.

flying_change

photobucket.com
"So when you come across an injured fox you leave it where you found it? That is not the act of an animal lover. "

What woudl you want her to do ? Pick it up and take it home ? - that would cause the animal a lot of stress and pain. Kill it there an then? - maybe that's OK if you have the tools to do it with. Leaving it and going to fetch help is the most reasonable thing to do in the circumstances, I think.

RS

flying_change

photobucket.com
Nah, given this forum, someone would complain that the fox had been over-stressed and should have been left alone, and someone else would have complained that it should have been picked up and taken to the vets.

RS

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
The most sensible thing to do is ensure you always have some twine in your pocket.

You wrap it around the animals throat and pull.

It's not quick, granted, but its far quicker than septicemia.

It's how I save rabbits with mixy :(

flying_change

photobucket.com
Well, I wonder if that would work with foxes... which are larger, stonger, and more liable to bite than rabbits (and probably more aware of what's going on)....

.... and I'm wondering about the definition of the word 'save' in this case.....

:)

RS

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
which is a point...

Depends how sick the fox is for that one...

I prefer the car option tbh, and I still feel guilty for not running that mangey london fox over :(

Sooty

Visit site
Horrible. We saw a rabbit hit by a car once, only the back half was run over, the front half was still sitting up and moving. We had to turn round and run it over properly. Was not nice.

alfirules

Visit site
theres no easy way to please everyone. i did what i thought was best and i know a lot of you have your own ideas but i think that a pack of hounds and a load of horses chasing a fox to its death is going to cause more stress than having the rspca look at it.

thanks for your opinions tho, and a special thanks for those who agree with me!!

Onyxia

Visit site
I think you did (more or less) the right thing.
Personally, I would have gone to call someone who could have kiled it instead of the RSPCA.

Foxes are not cute little puppies, they are not in the least bit tame and would not thank you for cuddles.They do need to be controlled and IMO hunting is the best option.
I am no going to argue that its kind, its clearly not- but it IS the best optioin.
If you truley understood the countryside you would know that.

Hippy

Visit site
he was soo sweet, they just look like a cross between a cat and a dog. so how people can hunt them is beyond me.

the fox is a member of the canidae or canine family. during a fox-hunt people use canines to chase and kill other canines.

Hercules

Visit site
''the fox is a member of the canidae or canine family. during a fox-hunt people use canines to chase and kill other canines.''

Fish kill other fish, birds of prey kill other birds, and humans kill other humans. What is your point?

Hippy

Visit site
please stop being so aggressive. i was replying to a point in the first message. i thought some people would find it interesting.