I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Ups and downs...

After the wonderful schooling session, we went on a hack the next day and he was feeling stones. He was fine on the flat road surface, but lame for a couple of strides when he trod on stones. This is unlike Rigsby. He behaved absolutely immaculately, but there is no joy in riding a horse who feels pain, even if it is only when on stones.

I don't think it is metabolic/lami related as he has no pulses and his feet are cool.

He did have a couple of days with snow balled inside his feet, so I guess that could have bruised him. So, he had a day off.

Next day he did some in-hand work on the arena. I actually annoyed him here, he now likes to do positive reinforcement work, but I forgot the treats so we did an in hand session of more standard training, as in an aversive (slight whip tap) with the reward that it stopped when he complied, along with 'good boy' of course. But no, Rigsby did comply, but was rather cross that I was dictating too much.

Then, yesterday, I planned on schooling again, as he is bang sound and moving freely on the soft, but it chucked it down, so didn't! Today could have been schooling, but...

Rigsby has this thing where, if he fancies a walk out, he shoves his head under the pink walking out rug (on a rack in his grooming parlour) and tosses it to me. He did this this morning, only... he got his head under it and tossed, but his head was also under the rug rack, so he ended up tossing the whole Stubbs rug rack right off the wall. Fortunately, Rigsby has a hard head and doesn't seem to have hurt himself!

We had a nice 1 mile walk out in-hand, in blustery wind and the beginnings of snow. We enjoy our walks, but it seems his feet are not right, right now, for riding. That is sad as I was enjoying riding too.

His feet do look good. I have a slight concern with the one that had worse lami: everywhere else the nails grew out months ago, but on the inside of that foot the nail holes are still there. He was last shod in late July or early August! There really should NOT still be nail holes there. Not with all the road walking we have done. What on earth is that portion of his foot made of???

He was sound and free moving today though, so I shall shelve my concerns. I will give him February with walking in hand and only riding on the school. It must be easier on the feet when he is not carrying my weight, even though that is now reduced (!). The boy is still doing good.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think the nail holes are still there because that side of his foot isn't growing, because it was too high when the shoes were on and he is sorting out the internal balance. Is the wall thicker there, that's what usually happens if they want to slow wear?

Feeling stones is very often the first noticeable symptom of Cushings, Red, and I think i remember your vet has held off testing? I would push for it, myself.

Red-1

Visit site
I think the nail holes are still there because that side of his foot isn't growing, because it was too high when the shoes were on and he is sorting out the internal balance. Is the wall thicker there, that's what usually happens if they want to slow wear?

Feeling stones is very often the first noticeable symptom of Cushings, Red, and I think i remember your vet has held off testing? I would push for it, myself.

No, the wall is the same there. I do think the foot is getting healthier and healthier, he used to be fully blocked up with retained sole, and that has cleared now. Also, the frog is better. The general shape is better. At first there was a sinister convex area in front of the frog, whereas now his feet have some concavity. Also, he used to have really excessive periople, whereas now it is much less.

The sore on stones is sudden. I do think it could be the impact of packed snow last week. He had proper stilts. But I still feel he is better off out for a period of time rather than standing in.

He was cushings tested last year, and was under. The plan is to test again at vaccination time (can't remember if it is March or May, offhand). This is as per vet recommendation, as he had lami after a certain set of circumstances (owner illness combined with no exercise to do with lockdown, which also was when they had to turnout in a big field - he was very overweight, so not an unexplained lami attack) and has remained slim and appropriate weight for his feeding since. He needs re-starting with vaccinations as he was late with a shot way back and, as it looks like he may, after all, make a horse who could do some fun riding club sessions, we need to re-start the course. He is covered as in the vaccinations will be effective, but he falls out of RC rules.

So, I am going to run a full MOT at that time, worm count, blood tests and maybe also X ray. I plan that X ray will be for the 2nd visit, so we can check his bloods first as I presume the vet will want to sedate. If the bloods are off, we won't Xray and risk sedation. I hope lockdown will be eased so we can have a proper discussion and examination. I am considering changing vet too, as the one I had in September didn't seem terribly interested. I wondered if Rigsby wasn't perhaps posh enough for 5* treatment?

He is moving really well on the arena, and walking fine on the road in-hand.

Things are going in the correct direction. I have only done 11 hacks in total, but it is when we start hacking as opposed to hand walking that, at the moment, it is a bit too much. I am also considering boots.Just because we both enjoy hacking!

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
He's a lucky boy to have you on his side Red.

This a hundred times over - I love reading your updates Red-1 and hope things keep moving in the right direction for Rigsby. He sounds like he is getting the best care in all aspects.

I was also inspired by the bit up thread about the ground based lessons you used to do; it gave me hope as a nervous rider that there are other things I can learn that don't involve riding. Yesterday I had a little 'taster' lesson with my instructor and her horse to start learning to lunge, it's not as easy as it looks but it will be so good to work on it and my handling skills in general. :)

Red-1

Visit site
He's a lucky boy to have you on his side Red.
This a hundred times over - I love reading your updates Red-1 and hope things keep moving in the right direction for Rigsby. He sounds like he is getting the best care in all aspects.

I was also inspired by the bit up thread about the ground based lessons you used to do; it gave me hope as a nervous rider that there are other things I can learn that don't involve riding. Yesterday I had a little 'taster' lesson with my instructor and her horse to start learning to lunge, it's not as easy as it looks but it will be so good to work on it and my handling skills in general. :)

I actually think I am the lucky one, having Riggers in my life. He has such a friendly, furry face :)

Yes, I saw you had been lungeing. Even if you never lunge again, it is an excellent lesson in body language and energy. At work, we used to have a horse who was tricky to lunge, could do a number of unexpected things: refuse to go; go flat out; cut in; try to kick you; run at you; pull away from you. He was called Dennis the Menace, he was ace!

If you were tuned in, you could control him with a raised eyebrow and a little internal energy. If you were not tuned in, you could thrash the whip (ignored), shout (ignored) grab the rope (dragged), dodge (he chased you) etc etc. I used to use him to teach the whole thing that 'horse whispering' is just getting the attention and energy keyed in to the horse. Humans are often not good at paying attention at all.

At first students couldn't understand why he would lunge in a docile fashion for me. I pointed out that I only had 2 arms and 2 legs, just like them and it would grab their attention that there was something to learn here. After a few sessions, they had a gift that would stand them in good stead. Or not, as to learn you have to have an open mind.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I actually think I am the lucky one, having Riggers in my life. He has such a friendly, furry face :)

Yes, I saw you had been lungeing. Even if you never lunge again, it is an excellent lesson in body language and energy. At work, we used to have a horse who was tricky to lunge, could do a number of unexpected things: refuse to go; go flat out; cut in; try to kick you; run at you; pull away from you. He was called Dennis the Menace, he was ace!

If you were tuned in, you could control him with a raised eyebrow and a little internal energy. If you were not tuned in, you could thrash the whip (ignored), shout (ignored) grab the rope (dragged), dodge (he chased you) etc etc. I used to use him to teach the whole thing that 'horse whispering' is just getting the attention and energy keyed in to the horse. Humans are often not good at paying attention at all.

At first students couldn't understand why he would lunge in a docile fashion for me. I pointed out that I only had 2 arms and 2 legs, just like them and it would grab their attention that there was something to learn here. After a few sessions, they had a gift that would stand them in good stead. Or not, as to learn you have to have an open mind.

I'm definitely keen to learn more and work on my general handling skills. It was great to try for the first time with a horse who knows the job better than me so I could work out what to do with my hands, feet and body, with a bit of forgiveness for errors/slowness on my part! I've a hunch share horse might be a little more 'Dennis' about it but of course the Dennises (sp?!) of the world are good teachers.

Coming in from the field today in the biting blustery wind was a bit of a test. I wish there had been someone watching so I could find out whether what I did with myself was a help or hindrance. For now I'm evaluating it as we both got in safely and after initial spooky silliness we moved to something more sensible for the remainder of our walk in!

Annagain

Visit site
No, the wall is the same there. I do think the foot is getting healthier and healthier, he used to be fully blocked up with retained sole, and that has cleared now. Also, the frog is better. The general shape is better. At first there was a sinister convex area in front of the frog, whereas now his feet have some concavity. Also, he used to have really excessive periople, whereas now it is much less.

The sore on stones is sudden. I do think it could be the impact of packed snow last week. He had proper stilts. But I still feel he is better off out for a period of time rather than standing in.

He was cushings tested last year, and was under. The plan is to test again at vaccination time (can't remember if it is March or May, offhand). This is as per vet recommendation, as he had lami after a certain set of circumstances (owner illness combined with no exercise to do with lockdown, which also was when they had to turnout in a big field - he was very overweight, so not an unexplained lami attack) and has remained slim and appropriate weight for his feeding since. He needs re-starting with vaccinations as he was late with a shot way back and, as it looks like he may, after all, make a horse who could do some fun riding club sessions, we need to re-start the course. He is covered as in the vaccinations will be effective, but he falls out of RC rules.

So, I am going to run a full MOT at that time, worm count, blood tests and maybe also X ray. I plan that X ray will be for the 2nd visit, so we can check his bloods first as I presume the vet will want to sedate. If the bloods are off, we won't Xray and risk sedation. I hope lockdown will be eased so we can have a proper discussion and examination. I am considering changing vet too, as the one I had in September didn't seem terribly interested. I wondered if Rigsby wasn't perhaps posh enough for 5* treatment?

He is moving really well on the arena, and walking fine on the road in-hand.

Things are going in the correct direction. I have only done 11 hacks in total, but it is when we start hacking as opposed to hand walking that, at the moment, it is a bit too much. I am also considering boots.Just because we both enjoy hacking!

Depending on how long ago he was out, Red, he may not need to re-start his jabs for BRC rules. The rules changed a few years ago and as long as the first two jabs are correct and they have 5 years of correct boosters they're ok. I do a lot of Vacc checking for BRC so have inadvertently become a bit of an expert! I'm happy to take a look if you want to pm me photos of his record.

Red-1

Visit site
Depending on how long ago he was out, Red, he may not need to re-start his jabs for BRC rules. The rules changed a few years ago and as long as the first two jabs are correct and they have 5 years of correct boosters they're ok. I do a lot of Vacc checking for BRC so have inadvertently become a bit of an expert! I'm happy to take a look if you want to pm me photos of his record.
Oooh, thank you. The vet said they needed restarting if he was to go anywhere, the record is in the lorry atm, out in the snow, but when I get it, I will either PM with a photo or will write dates down. I would rather not stab him more than necessary as I know that there seems to be some co-incidental link with jabs and lami.

Annagain

Visit site
Oooh, thank you. The vet said they needed restarting if he was to go anywhere, the record is in the lorry atm, out in the snow, but when I get it, I will either PM with a photo or will write dates down. I would rather not stab him more than necessary as I know that there seems to be some co-incidental link with jabs and lami.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/enjoy-riding/british-riding-clubs/brc-handbook

The relevant section is on page 25 of the handbook (click on the 2021 handbook link to download the PDF) if you want to take a look yourself. There are lots of ifs and buts so more than happy to check it if you want me to.

If it does apply to Rigsby though, the one thing I would do though is print that page (the date will change every year as it's the last 5 years that's important so you'll need to do it every year) and keep it in his passport. The vacc checkers are all volunteers with their clubs and some will be more experienced / have more knowledge than others so may try to turn you away at first. I say that as someone who almost did it (albeit when that rule change was very new) and just remembered in time! I now just check the first two and the last five to avoid that issue and to save myself a lot of time!

Red-1

Visit site
Bloomin' cold and ice. Horrible when combined with nets that need soaking!

Mr Red is kind enough to oik them out of the water butt first thing. This morning he lifted and the whole bin lifted too
1f92a.png
. He ties them up to drain and, this week, just an hour later, they gave been solid again. Some days the knot has frozen shut.

Rigsby likes it when I put a kettle of water over it, makes it smell nice.

Other than that, the ice has meant that the week has been a Rigsby write off. I dragged him 100 yards on the road twice to keep his feet conditioned but otherwise he has been wandering round the school on turnout or in his loafing shed... loafing.

Cancelled the saddle fitter for Saturday and his physio for Sunday.

Blah!

I have promised Mr Red that, once we have done bloods etc and he is working this summer, I will look at putting him on the lami friendly haylage before next winter. We can mix it with straw to fill his belly and keep weight under control. Meanwhile, soaking is necessary. I am now on a couple of lami FB sites, and so many people have popped up saying their horses now have lami because they did a few days without soaking hay, due to ice. It has been down to -5 here, I can see us soaking it in the house if it gets much colder!!! o_O:eek::p
149125895_10219802091586739_7639931488773145688_n.jpg
148887490_10219802091826745_6926981390920617039_n.jpg

Last edited:

cauda equina

Visit site
I feel there is a gap in the market for pre-soaked hay; imagine the hay going in a sort of industrial washing machine until the sugar levels are acceptable, then drained, dried thoroughly and wrapped

I've also thought - what about putting hay in a domestic washing machine - in a net then in eg a duvet cover to catch the bits
Either on a full wash cycle (no detergent obvs!) or just for a spin, once it had been soaked, so it doesn't drip all over the bed (or freeze)

These are the musings of someone who has spent many hours wrangling wet nets, and hating it

Roxylola

Visit site
Ugh soaked hay is bad enough at any time but in this weather it's terrible.
My owner has easigrazers for all the boys, they have a screw in plug at the bottom so you can soak then drain and just put the unit in the stable.
They do need some way of fixing to the wall, and you'd need 2 on the go - one in use and one soaking but it might be worth a look as a longer term easier option

Reactions: TPO

Red-1

Visit site
I feel there is a gap in the market for pre-soaked hay; imagine the hay going in a sort of industrial washing machine until the sugar levels are acceptable, then drained, dried thoroughly and wrapped

I've also thought - what about putting hay in a domestic washing machine - in a net then in eg a duvet cover to catch the bits
Either on a full wash cycle (no detergent obvs!) or just for a spin, once it had been soaked, so it doesn't drip all over the bed (or freeze)

These are the musings of someone who has spent many hours wrangling wet nets, and hating it

Mr Red also thought of this, on an industrial scale. Yes, washed in big vats, then dried commercially, wrapped and sold.

Ugh soaked hay is bad enough at any time but in this weather it's terrible.
My owner has easigrazers for all the boys, they have a screw in plug at the bottom so you can soak then drain and just put the unit in the stable.
They do need some way of fixing to the wall, and you'd need 2 on the go - one in use and one soaking but it might be worth a look as a longer term easier option

I looked at Easigrazers, but think Rigsby-the-tank would soon put his clodhopping big feet through the little plastic grid.

I use big water bitts, with a tap and hose so the water is taken away to the drain, but in this weather it simply does not go! Yesterday the yard tap froze, I thought I was going to have to cart water in buckets from the kitchen sink!

ycbm

Visit site
I bought pure Timothy so that I wouldn't have to soak in icy weather Red, and my mare has lost plenty of weight on it. Is that an option? You can buy it mail order in 20kg bales.

Michen

Visit site
I bought pure Timothy so that I wouldn't have to soak in icy weather Red, and my mare has lost plenty of weight on it. Is that an option? You can buy it mail order in 20kg bales.

Ycbm I'm thinking of using this for Bear to rule out hay as being an issue (yard haylage is too fattening for him). How long does it last in summer, he's stabled during day so I guess would need only really 2.5kg ish- but worried it would go mouldy if opened for a week...

Red-1

Visit site

they do Timothy or high fibre, from what I can see, both under 10% combined sugar and starch, so both should be suitable. High Fibre is just a little lower, which is strange as that one also seems to be ryegrass, which I always thought was bad! I just don't want to change anything until after his blood tests, and to get him into some work. I know from my own weight loss that once you get some muscle, the weight is easier to control.

ycbm

Visit site
Ycbm I'm thinking of using this for Bear to rule out hay as being an issue (yard haylage is too fattening for him). How long does it last in summer, he's stabled during day so I guess would need only really 2.5kg ish- but worried it would go mouldy if opened for a week...

I've got Horsehage at the moment and it's extremely densely packed and dry. It actually comes in sections, which is just as well as it's so tight its really difficult to break one open! I would be very surprised if it wasn't good for at least a week in summer.

There's a supplier of wrapped hay that does timothy delivered, Colehay, but the bale is small so it's very expensive.

Michen

Visit site
I've got Horsehage at the moment and it's extremely densely packed and dry. It actually comes in sections, which is just as well as it's so tight its really difficult to break one open! I would be very surprised if it wasn't good for at least a week in summer.

There's a supplier of wrapped hay that does timothy delivered, Colehay, but the bale is small so it's very expensive.

Thanks. Something to think about...

cauda equina

Visit site

How do you find the timothy horsehage?
I had some in the summer that was lovely - yellow and shiny.
Then I got some bales which were dull and greyish; they smelt ok but I took them back to my local feedshop who exchanged them without question.
The replacement bales were also dull and grey and at that point I gave up and fed something else. Maybe that was just a bad batch?

cauda equina

Visit site
Adding to my post above as I've missed the editing window:
What I should have said was, maybe that was just natural variation between batches, and the colour difference doesn't matter?

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Bloomin' cold and ice. Horrible when combined with nets that need soaking!

Mr Red is kind enough to oik them out of the water butt first thing. This morning he lifted and the whole bin lifted too
1f92a.png
. He ties them up to drain and, this week, just an hour later, they gave been solid again. Some days the knot has frozen shut.

Rigsby likes it when I put a kettle of water over it, makes it smell nice.

Other than that, the ice has meant that the week has been a Rigsby write off. I dragged him 100 yards on the road twice to keep his feet conditioned but otherwise he has been wandering round the school on turnout or in his loafing shed... loafing.

Cancelled the saddle fitter for Saturday and his physio for Sunday.

Blah!

I have promised Mr Red that, once we have done bloods etc and he is working this summer, I will look at putting him on the lami friendly haylage before next winter. We can mix it with straw to fill his belly and keep weight under control. Meanwhile, soaking is necessary. I am now on a couple of lami FB sites, and so many people have popped up saying their horses now have lami because they did a few days without soaking hay, due to ice. It has been down to -5 here, I can see us soaking it in the house if it gets much colder!!! o_O:eek::p
View attachment 65713
View attachment 65714

Urgh, that picture is grim! My mare had steroid induced lami, very lame and at one point I gave her 48hrs to improve or call it a day, and had to be on haylage due to severe equine asthma. I used Horsehage high fibre mainly, occasionally other branded 'light' types hroughout the rest of her life and she had no other occurrences of lami. Although I don't know how much that it was steroid induced lami changes things, for us there was no other option other than feeding haylage.

Red-1

Visit site
Hoof porn.

Finally, I like them enough to share them! They have been 3 weeks post trim, but have had a rasp run round, walked both in-hand and ridden on the road and been out on the ice for a week.

I have thought about having hoof boots for him, as we still can't seem to crack the hack I would like to do daily, more than once a week if he is to remain comfortable. Hence the photos with the measuring tape.

The other foot was also photographed with the measuring tape, but the tape wasn't straight, I had a lack of spare hands LOL.

Also, he is usually immaculately clipped on his legs, but it has been sooooo blasted cold, he has winter leg warmers. I plan to T-Gel on Monday and clip on Tuesday, if it gets a bit warmer.

149886252_499824961416446_1696137001644469996_n.jpg
149888466_177114320526867_2014219243282495431_n.jpg
150460213_2998227617079747_2251295575443088544_n.jpg
149782130_803388016881273_1644853519960126730_n.jpg
150421085_270320404605477_5324273075579882750_n.jpg
149873607_2474880989324943_5213312801622254297_n.jpg
150585083_967158253689467_7508042744439784351_n.jpg
150605081_502615390707938_1441667521319560127_n.jpg

Pippity

Visit site
Also, he is usually immaculately clipped on his legs, but it has been sooooo blasted cold, he has winter leg warmers.

Ha! Blue currently has ridiculously fluffy winter pantaloons, complete with bog-burned, brown-and-yellow feather all round. It's all set off beautifully by the patches behind her knee where I've roughly hacked the hair off to treat her mallenders. She's an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment, and I can't wait for her to move to the summer fields so I can clip that feather right off.

Rigsby looks immaculate!

Red-1

Visit site
Don't they look good!

And BIG!

Proper Cobbus sized feet!

Yes, they used to be convex. Now they are concave.

I really like the shots at an oblique angle from the rear. One heel is annoyingly longer than the other 3, now I see them on a photo :rolleyes: He goes out of balance very quickly. But those shots really show how the sole is no longer sitting on the floor.

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
Ha! Blue currently has ridiculously fluffy winter pantaloons, complete with bog-burned, brown-and-yellow feather all round. It's all set off beautifully by the patches behind her knee where I've roughly hacked the hair off to treat her mallenders. She's an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment, and I can't wait for her to move to the summer fields so I can clip that feather right off.

Rigsby looks immaculate!

Thank you. He was very naughty to clip, so I did him every night, mostly one leg per night. So, they were always immaculate, as sometimes both backs could be done in one session, so they were done twice a week. I used treats; when they were clipped that short it was also easy to get the skin to a state where he didn't mind his legs being massaged.

Leg washing probably tomorrow, clipping on Tuesday, back to tidy!

Red-1

Visit site
I had a sad start to the day, had to go and get mum's ashes from the funeral director. Mr Red can't get time off work, the funeral director isn't open at the weekend, and Mr Red and I are the only ones in our Covid bubble, so it was another lonely old drive.

I nearly didn't ride Rigsby today, I was sad after fetching mum's ashes and, although I knew he would probably cheer me up, I don't like to ride unless I am already in a reasonable frame of mind.

But then, after a lovely bike ride, I felt stacks better, so had a ride. What a difference a day makes, he hadn't been ridden for 8 days because of the ice and cold, then today I could ride with just a t shirt and little fleece gilet.

Rigsby was ace. He seemed to have forgotten some of his lessons but, because he has been doing flat nothing for over a week, he was quite forward for Rigsby.

With my last horse, if she hadn't been ridden I would have taken great care not to allow exciting behaviour. With Rigsby, I decided to grab the extra energy and have our very first canter!
Did the right rein to start, only got 3 strides. Did it again, got a few steps. Changed to the left, decided to video. Had 2 goes to the left, he got better every time.

Ye-ha me and Riggers got a canter! I mean, I have no style, legging him on like a kid on a Thelwell pony
1f923.png
but we both had fun. I mean, to the stage that I wondered if I should even post a still from the video, as I look so.... novicey!!! But I will, because it was our first time today, and I can look as silly as I like because I was having fun!

Rigsby then got a bath, mane, tail, shoulders and legs. Lovely clean Rigsby.

Riggers is a blessing.

150811944_10219832732112733_4350705803238455498_o.jpg
150438999_10219832732592745_6542581682979024739_n.jpg

muddybay

Visit site
I had a sad start to the day, had to go and get mum's ashes from the funeral director. Mr Red can't get time off work, the funeral director isn't open at the weekend, and Mr Red and I are the only ones in our Covid bubble, so it was another lonely old drive.

I nearly didn't ride Rigsby today, I was sad after fetching mum's ashes and, although I knew he would probably cheer me up, I don't like to ride unless I am already in a reasonable frame of mind.

But then, after a lovely bike ride, I felt stacks better, so had a ride. What a difference a day makes, he hadn't been ridden for 8 days because of the ice and cold, then today I could ride with just a t shirt and little fleece gilet.

Rigsby was ace. He seemed to have forgotten some of his lessons but, because he has been doing flat nothing for over a week, he was quite forward for Rigsby.

With my last horse, if she hadn't been ridden I would have taken great care not to allow exciting behaviour. With Rigsby, I decided to grab the extra energy and have our very first canter!
Did the right rein to start, only got 3 strides. Did it again, got a few steps. Changed to the left, decided to video. Had 2 goes to the left, he got better every time.

Ye-ha me and Riggers got a canter! I mean, I have no style, legging him on like a kid on a Thelwell pony
1f923.png
but we both had fun. I mean, to the stage that I wondered if I should even post a still from the video, as I look so.... novicey!!! But I will, because it was our first time today, and I can look as silly as I like because I was having fun!

Rigsby then got a bath, mane, tail, shoulders and legs. Lovely clean Rigsby.

Riggers is a blessing.

View attachment 65927
View attachment 65928
I came here from the other thread! He looks incredible and you look so happy on him :)