I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Canter ? woohoo ?

He was so weak before, and I was worried about his feet. It somehow just felt right today. We only did that little bit, twice each rein. As soon as we were out of shot we were in trot again. He has got a canter though, I am delighted, it makes me think that maybe, possibly, a Prelim test locally will be possible by summer.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I came here from the other thread! He looks incredible and you look so happy on him :)

I also zoomed my way over here from that thread to see the pics and the update :D

Sorry to hear the day got off to a tricky start Red-1. I remember picking up my dad's ashes and it was so sad and surreal/weird. But also pleased that your bike ride helped turn things around and that your fabulous Rigsby was there again doing his magic.

Red-1

Visit site
I also zoomed my way over here from that thread to see the pics and the update :D

Sorry to hear the day got off to a tricky start Red-1. I remember picking up my dad's ashes and it was so sad and surreal/weird. But also pleased that your bike ride helped turn things around and that your fabulous Rigsby was there again doing his magic.

It is now morning and I am still smiling! I had no idea if he had a canter: he could have been like the horse on the other thread that switches behind constantly. He is 16, has been off a year almost, was lame behind after box rest. But no, he has a canter that is true. I laugh at my position and face, I usually educate my horses to carry me forwards without needing to be held on the leg, but no, Rigsby, at the moment, needs 'pushing on' stride for stride or he is back in trot-walk-halt-congratulate himself LOL.

He is still somewhat stilted in his movement, some of that will be 'cob' (big front end, small back end) but much can still be improved, I am sure. He may be the first cob I have owned, but I have ridden and taught plenty. He feels sound on the school, that is the main thing. Not as comfortable on the roads, hence measuring for boots.

I sent the photos and measurements off to Hoof Boutique at the weekend, hoping the get back to me today as they said to wait 48 hours as they are busy.

Red-1

Visit site
After more legal stuff this morning, and more cream scones (all gone now, thank goodness - 7 scones in 3 days
1f631.png
) I went for a 3k run then walked Rigsby. He still isn't comfy enough to be ridden out hacking so I went on foot with him. I really WANTED to ride on the school, but an aged horse, coming back into work after almost a year off poorly-sick, who has never been ridden on the school before me, who did the most we have done yet yesterday... Going on the school was not a fair option for his long term longevity, so we didn't.

A walk out was great though!

I think he was bored with the same old walk round the village so I took him up the Trans Pennine Way. He was amazed! Astonished! He loved it! We ended up doing 5k walking.

Each time I walk him, I feel like hopping on bareback for the last bit. Sadly, although I used to be able to vault on a 17hh horse, these days I look at his lil' ol' 15.1 back and know I wouldn't make it
1f602.png
so I walk home.

He is a great walking companion. Happy and polite (as a rule anyway!).

151148331_10219839860170930_2415352667526462205_n.jpg
150914917_10219839860530939_4076950280910662770_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Love this - can you not choose a route with a handy wall on the way home;)?

I wish there was something. The roads are lined with dykes, so no way to use a fence. I am happy walking though, just waiting for Hoof Boutique to get back to me. I emailed at the weekend, did try to phone today but no reply. No matter, he is comfy in-hand on the road or ridden on the school, so not an emergency.

TPO

Visit site
Just caught up. Happy (cantering!) Days ?

Sorry about your hard day at the funeral directors but I'm glad that Rigsby was able to cheer you up xx

jnb

Visit site
@Red-1, I bought some Scoots size 10 last year for Ruari as I thought I might need them...haven't.....if you think he might be a size 10 (150-155 mm x 155mm from memory) I'd be happy for you to try them. They've never been used except to try on. Just send back if no good

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Aww, glad he enjoys his adventures and hope the hoof boutique peeps get back to you soon (or jnb's offer works out) so you can get off road exploring once he's got a bit further with his fitness.

I have one with feet that size and I do find that the hoof boot sizing goes a bit funky at the larger end of the range. I've always had to do a bit more trial and error with boots for him than with those with hoof size in the middle of the chart.

DirectorFury

Visit site
@Red-1 I’ve got a pair of Swiss Galoppers SG5 and a pair of Floating Boots (I think M1?) that I’m happy to send to you to try. Both are pretty much unused as we didn’t get on with bf!

Red-1

Visit site
@Red-1, I bought some Scoots size 10 last year for Ruari as I thought I might need them...haven't.....if you think he might be a size 10 (150-155 mm x 155mm from memory) I'd be happy for you to try them. They've never been used except to try on. Just send back if no good
@Red-1 I’ve got a pair of Swiss Galoppers SG5 and a pair of Floating Boots (I think M1?) that I’m happy to send to you to try. Both are pretty much unused as we didn’t get on with bf!

Gosh, thank you so much! I tried calling but no reply with Hoof Boutique, but managed to get hold of Urban Horse. They are sending me fit kits for Cavallo Treks and Scoots. He measures approx 153 wide and 150 long, so she is sending boots around that range for both styles.

I agree that sizes are funky, but IME at all sizes! He has his toes bevelled right back, so I'm not sure how that will affect it. She thinks his heels are also a bit tall for Scoots, but they have been left higher as he is not yet true heel first landing.

You are so kind.

I had a lot of hassle when I bought him, from people thinking I had lost my senses! I didn't even dare tell them (or you lovely lot) that he was registered as a rig, until I had the blood test results showing that he was defo NOT a rig! I feel like I went into owning him eyes open, I knew he may just be a pasture pet (only, one who couldn't actually go on pasture for the EMS and lami LOL) or even that he could end up PTS, but his previous owner and I both thought he could make a recovery and be a ridden horse again, to enjoy life.

It is lovely when people are positive about him.

Squeak

Visit site
Another who agrees that being nice about him easy. Sometimes you've got to let your heart rule your head, it's not always the most logical decisions that are the best ones.

Red-1

Visit site
Alternating walking out and schooling, photo is from yesterday's 3.2 mile yomp, through puddles and over bridges, step throughs and open fields. At least it shows I have tidied up the fluffy pantaloons.

Today's schooling had a new woo hoo...

Today, Rigsby did the first time that he has held the contact and carried himself from walk to trot!

He didn't drop the contact, didn't go above the contact. Nope, he held the contact softly, got his furry ass in gear, lifted his back and stepped through, pushing forwards into the transition!

You would really laugh at me. We only do 10-20 minutes in total working, mostly in walk. He is baited with celery, a treat for being mounted, a treat for waiting for my stirrups. Not something I have ever done before, but celery really speaks to Rigsby LOL.

We then have "good boy"s and celery as a celebration for extra effort! Or, extra attention! Or, extra softness! Anything that pleases me, I don't keep it to myself, I celebrate out loud and we share celery!

Still a work in progress overall, it would be nice if he would actually trot on the outer track, rather than falling onto the inner, but hey, we are both having fun and things are going in the right direction. I can now leg yield a bit, but it is not exactly a light aid. The left rein tends to be a bit better (not feeling as nice, but at least more likely to stay on the track), but we didn't do the left rein because...

Schooling was cut short when the parcel from Urban Horse arrived. They had sent fit kits for Cavallo and Scoot boots, £10 hire per type, plus p&p. Sadly, nothing fitted. The Cavallo 5s were just too tight at the heels, his foot would not 'click in.' The Cavallo 6's were like wellies! The scoots' largest size in the box was an 8, it did fit on, but the T bar at the back pressed into his flesh and looked really uncomfortable.

I have called them back, they are sending 2 larger scoots out, for just the £3.85 postage. Maybe one of those will fit?

151777089_10219856450825686_689940231482811694_o.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
I don't really understand why they sent size 8 scoots with the measurements you showed, my cob has very similar sizing and he's in a 10 in Scoots... although the 9 did go on, they were tight on the heel.

I haven't used scoots before. I tried the 8s on, but they also send 6s and7s. One look at those and I wasn't going to even try to squeeze the prince into them!

TBH, this is why I used a reputable company with a fit kit. I did try Hoof Boutique but they didn't get back to me and couldn't answer the phone, when I emailed to say I had gone with Urban Horse (who did answer the phone) they said that they were very busy. I was told that both companies are good.

They are sending 9s and 10s now. The 6s do look like they are for a much smaller horse! I just want to get him comfortable to do more, as he really enjoys his outings.

Red-1

Visit site
I don't really understand why they sent size 8 scoots with the measurements you showed, my cob has very similar sizing and he's in a 10 in Scoots... although the 9 did go on, they were tight on the heel.

And yes, it sounds like I would have been better to take you up on your kind offer, but I had already organised the fit kits before I saw it! I think it is around £30 so far, and I still need to pay for return postage. At least I can try a few on. Maybe he will be a 9, as the 8s did squeeze on. It really squashed the flesh on his heel through, I think we were both a bit worried they would never come off again!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
J fits into Cavallos size 5 but they are a pain with his feathers, Scoots size 7 seem to fit foot wise but the back t bar is far to tight, 8's seem to fit foot wise ok, but might possibly be too big if they give at all, and the back to bar is a lot better but still slightly neater than I would like on the vertical bit. It's been suggested that I use a heat gun to stretch it so I need to try this.

Red-1

Visit site
J fits into Cavallos size 5 but they are a pain with his feathers, Scoots size 7 seem to fit foot wise but the back t bar is far to tight, 8's seem to fit foot wise ok, but might possibly be too big if they give at all, and the back to bar is a lot better but still slightly neater than I would like on the vertical bit. It's been suggested that I use a heat gun to stretch it so I need to try this.

A heat gun on a pair of expensive new boots, in the hope that it *may* work to loosen it, sounds very scary indeed!!!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
That is why I haven't done it yet ? a friend has and it worked although I think I'm more likely to set fire to them or something ridiculous! From various things I've read I do think the back t bar being to tight seems to be a common problem.

The annoying thing is he only sort of needs boots for the quarter mile access track to field and only since it had new hardcore put down, hardcore of the sharpest pointiest variety I've ever known.

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby is still going great guns. To my mind anyway, I guess many people would think we are doing not a lot of anything!

I have had 2 more schooling sessions, with a walk out on the 1 mile block, in-hand, in-between. He is getting better and better on the school!

Last time we had a canter. Just the one, but it was on the sticky right rein, that I struggled to get more than 6 strides on last time, and he did 2 1/2 sides, not deep in the corners. I was happy! Before that, he had 'allowed' me into his back to do a sitting trot. I always think it is a special moment, when the soften and lift and allow you to sit softly. Big celery celebration for that!

Today, I was going to do just one canter on the right rein, but Rigsby had pleased me so much before even even got to that stage, we had an almighty celery celebration and dismounted to do it! What was his success?

Ah, the last time I wrote, the celebration was that Rigsby held the contact through an upwards transition... This shows me that he is starting to understand what the bit is all about, to help and guide, not something to shrink away from. It also showed me that he was learning to use his furry ass to push. Today, I wanted to build on that, and have him seek the contact in walk and trot. He could already do this at walk, but trot has been a bit more effortful so he has needed more support not to stick his head up and go with his back dropped. But the chink was there last time through the transition.

I worked in with a long rein, but with a contact, he seeked down and found me. I then rode some movements in walk, handing him from one hand to the other down there, feeling him, whilst having the walk a very definite 4 time, so you could hear the deliberate footfall. I love the sound of feet as a guide when schooling. In fact, that was worth a celery celebration all on its own.

The first time I asked for trot, it was not successful, he dropped me and sucked back, so we abruptly went back to walk, re-established the feel and asked again, with me having a touch more alive feel down the (long) rein. Success! He kept with me, we did maybe 1/4 of a circle, lost it, got it back...

So, today we had a play with working in a long fame. I like that as I can't cheat, as if I do too much he will resist and I can't stop that with long reins. Keeps me honest.

Our old nemesis, the not keeping on the track, reared its head. Hmmm, how to stop that.

Rigsby is generally a very fair horse. Such as, he was awful to clip his legs, but then he also hated them brushing, or towling, or simply touching. Being a cob, he has mallenders. When it is not soft and under control, it hurts. Nothing will convince him to behave when they hurt. He is stronger and me, and he knows it. I like to think I am smarter than him, but I am not so sure. What I do have it a ton of try. When his legs are comfortable, he is initially wary, but then eats hay while I do his legs. He is fair. If I get it right, he will do his best to be a good boy.

For Rigsby not to go on the outer track, it must be for a reason. He is old, unfit, unschooled. Last schooling session, I started to do trot on the outer track, but walk for the corners. I wanted him to know I wasn't going to make him do a sharp turn, in case it hurt. That could be muscular (unfit) of arthritis, or a number of other things. That exercise improved out transitions, but he still was not wanting the outside track.

Today, I decided to explain better, and even offer an aversive (as opposed to always positive). I am not against an aversive, as long is it is neutral in emotion, no anger. It just allows the horse to realise what the easy route is. If he was in pain in the corners, I know that Rigsby will tell me and we can change what we are doing. He is not shy at coming forwards (like with clipping).

So, we did some trot, if he comes off the track it is by dumping his inside shoulder. I tried to correct by leg yielding out, but ended up being far too forceful, as in gripping and kicking. I am not against an aversive, but don't want to do it like that. My signals should be just that, signals, not physically moving or bullying.

So, I changed tack. Not actual tack (plain egbutt snaffle and cavesson), I mean changed my approach. I trotted the outer track, still on a longer rein, but with contact, and realised that the issue wasn't really with where he was trotting, it was that he was coming off the aids in the first place. So, I needed to get him back on the aids.

So, I rode neutrally, when he dumped the shoulder off the track, I asked for a bend, so I could get the shoulder back out, the ribs back to the outside. At present this means a circle, as lateral work is beyond him at the moment, so we came round on a 15m circle. Circle, that would be a slight aversive too, in that a circle is harder than trotting large.

We did this 3 times, the last time we actually also changed rein, so today Rigsby managed a half figure of 8, with 2 15m half circles.

This would not be world beating for most, but it is the most we have ever done. It was probably also the most trotting we have ever done on a session. It was the softest feel, with him experimenting with the contact on a long rein.

So, we stopped, all thoughts of having a canter forgotten, had a celery celebration and called it a success!

ETA a photo. Rigsby last night, stuffing his face. Nom, nom, nom.

He is weird. Some days looks too skinny. The very next day looks fat. Last night was a fat moment!152969093_10219882225430035_1327799200057836752_o.jpg

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
Scoots sizes 9 and 10 arrived. I would say that the 9s 'fit' but I can also see that they would rub his heels. The 10 slipped round, far too big, , and the material is so unyielding that I'm not sure even they wouldn't rub the bulbs of his heels, so I think he is simply not a Scoot horse.

Being as he was also between sizes on the Cavallos, I am now stuck as they said those were the most likely to fit a totally round foot.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Scoots sizes 9 and 10 arrived. I would say that the 9s 'fit' but I can also see that they would rub his heels. The 10 slipped round, far too big, , and the material is so unyielding that I'm not sure even they wouldn't rub the bulbs of his heels, so I think he is simply not a Scoot horse.

Being as he was also between sizes on the Cavallos, I am now stuck as they said those were the most likely to fit a totally round foot.

I've just been through the whole hoof boot thing with my tb. I did use hoof boutique, shame they haven't been very good with replying to you. I know they are working odd hours and from home - I had daily email replies from them, although they always came through at 6pm or later which I thought a little odd. But they did send stuff out quickly.
Anyway, from the discussions I had with them and what would fit the TB, they mentioned that things like scoots and renegades (which I ended up with) would only really fit horses with small/low heels.
Shame the cavellos don't fit - what about with pads? Or when I took the cob barefoot, I used a pair of boa boots. Despite being quite clumpy to look at, the worked really well. Maybe something to ask?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Might be worth trying the smaller size of the ones he is between in the cavallos. I found the bigger sizes to come up quite big in comparison to the measurement chart. My gelding should be in 6s (151mm round) but wears 5s.

Alternatively, I have found that padding up (with rubber pads) scoots works quite well to just reduce the size of them a bit.

Red-1

Visit site
Might be worth trying the smaller size of the ones he is between in the cavallos. I found the bigger sizes to come up quite big in comparison to the measurement chart. My gelding should be in 6s (151mm round) but wears 5s.

Alternatively, I have found that padding up (with rubber pads) scoots works quite well to just reduce the size of them a bit.

I had the two fit kits. The smaller Cavallo wouldn't permit his heels to enter. He doesn't go narrower at the heels, stays rather wide. The Scoot heels just seem really harsh, I can't see how they would do anything but rub a fleshy heel.

There are some others that seem to be adjustable for height as well as different sizes.

Red-1

Visit site
I've just been through the whole hoof boot thing with my tb. I did use hoof boutique, shame they haven't been very good with replying to you. I know they are working odd hours and from home - I had daily email replies from them, although they always came through at 6pm or later which I thought a little odd. But they did send stuff out quickly.
Anyway, from the discussions I had with them and what would fit the TB, they mentioned that things like scoots and renegades (which I ended up with) would only really fit horses with small/low heels.
Shame the cavellos don't fit - what about with pads? Or when I took the cob barefoot, I used a pair of boa boots. Despite being quite clumpy to look at, the worked really well. Maybe something to ask?

Noooo, I was looking at the Renegades, it looks like the articulated heel would be less likely to rub?

Or, Flex Horse Hoof boots?

Or, Explora Magic?

Something will suit, I hope!