I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Bluewaves

Visit site
It’s amazing reading all the technical detail that goes into training the police horses. I’ve only seen them at shows as we don’t have them where I live. Absolutely love seeing them if they’re ever on TV as well.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It’s amazing reading all the technical detail that goes into training the police horses. I’ve only seen them at shows as we don’t have them where I live. Absolutely love seeing them if they’re ever on TV as well.

Each force does it differently, even different trainers within the same force area.

I went to America several years running to learn to train with less force. Gave me a sense of what was possible in each step of training without overwhelming and also how to have better timing for pressure/release. Also studied ++ training, but found that less useful under pressure.

Different people have different skills and ways of doing things.

An example, I went to view a potential horse, it was a nice model but had done a bit of SJ, had been draw reigned in, was a bit nappy, but had seen more of the world, was already on the button for loading etc... I decided that the schooling would take too long to unravel and didn't buy (bought a green one instead). I felt it was sour, and that takes longer to unpick and re-train than a green baby.

A couple of weeks later, a different force rung me up, said they were viewing the horse but the owner had let slip that I already had and they wanted to know why I had turned it down. They knew that I would always tell the owner whatever they needed to hear so as not to upset them (such as, "Oh, it's too well schooled for us, we would just confuse him with having to ride whilst distracted :rolleyes:). I told them what I thought, but also said that, in their set-up I felt it would likely be a match, knowing that they had 6 months to get the horse to a football match in their system.

4 months later, I was there and one of their staff was telling me how I had missed a good horse, it was fantastic, they were using it to teach courses, it was blah blah blah. I didn't mind, my baby was coming on great, working independently, working bigger matches etc. I said that I was pleased, and asked how the horse was at a match. Nooooo, the horse had never made it to a match yet, not ready! I had to explain that my boss would not think that, 4 months in with a lot of training behind it, not ready to go to a match, that THAT would be a success. Different management, not one system. They were skilled trainers, with a different goal, I guess. Horses for courses.

I would rather have had longer, but I did have the back up and facilities that I needed to progress at a speed and still keep the integrity of the work with the horse. Sometimes a boss would push too hard, sometimes to the detriment of a horse, and at those times I sometimes thought about quitting, but then, would the horses have a slower regime? No. So, I reckoned I was better to be in the imperfect system, making it as good as I could.

BTW - Rigsby used his noggin today. He heard me unlock the lorry, when I went to catch him, he had a pee before coming in. Clever boy.

Today we boxed out, had a little ride, boxed back. He would rather have ridden back, he enjoys his rides. I was undoing the box ramp and he even started to walk for home :oops: but only enough to make me laugh at his audacity, he turned round, loaded up and travelled back just fine!

Red-1

Visit site
A good day again, well, for me anyway :p

Riggers loaded last night for a small net, all was well. He looked forward to getting on for a munch, even.

This morning, he had a net whilst being groomed then went back in his stable (water but no food) while I faffed... I moved the box, to a place he had not loaded before and he remembered to have a precautionary pee. Loaded fine, straight to munching, and we went for a little drive. So far, we have only gone a 2 mile round trip, and he has only done part of that on the box/ part walking. I wanted to increase his durability on the box.

I originally intended to do the 4 mile block, but Rigsby was still head up and unsettled when it came to the place to turn. He was not overwhelmed, was still standing quietly, just not as settled as I would like. I checked in with myself, this was also my first trip with him unaccompanied (Mr Red back at work), but I felt fine to go a bit further. I think it is as important not to overwhelm yourself as it is the horse.

So, Rigsby was driven to the next village and a round trip back. He did settle enough for a munch. It was only around 8 miles, but took about 25 minutes. Once home, he stood politely while I faffed with gates, then stood politely once the top doors were open. We have practiced and elongated his flexibility and tolerance in this situation. I even went in for a cup of tea, with the window cracked open so I could hear, and all I could hear was the eating of a hay net.

He was about half an hour waiting without fuss, back to the stable (water and pee stop) before being tacked back up and ridden on the arena. I have been careful this Easter holiday not to over burden him with too much work, he is old and unfit. He has worked extremely hard this holiday, but much of it has been mental exercise - most days travel a couple of miles and walk a mile on the roads. Today we did some actual schooling.

Rigsby has some understanding now, but physically is unable to both motivate and push from behind and also stay polite in hand. he can go forwards if it is free forwards, or stay polite if the trot is 'less'. Today was a 'less trot' day, but I am being strict about where his shoulders are (must stay in front of the hind legs as opposed to dropping in or out) and kept it that way even on a centre line with circles back to the outer track. Both walk and trot. That was an improvement!

We also had a canter each way. This is still VERY basic. Forwards and hollow is the only way at the moment, so today we merely insisted that I need not carry him, he must stay forwards and actually in canter, without me legging him on all the time, and he must allow me to keep a contact (without thinking that means stop!!!). He had a fair few flicks as he made the mistake of thinking a rest was optional whenever he wanted. He was very good natured about it though, plus the canter may not yet have any bend other than the wrong one (!) but it is at least now pretty much on the track. We can improve it further once he believes that canter is a 'thing' to do and keep doing, as opposed to a quick scurry and stop. He is now starting to find a rhythm so we are part way there.

Phew. He will load up again this afternoon for a net, but he has done loads again today. Good boy! Celery all round.

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
Another 'first' today. We boxed up to a friend's yard, he had a ride in the arena, my friend also had a ride and he boxed back.

You would hardly have known he was in the box, beautifully behaved. He kept his head together whilst there too. Not his best work, he was busy looking, but took guidance and didn't gawp when told that gawping was a no no. Looking is OK, gawping is not. He got it. He was brilliant.

He did a perfectly good walk trot and canter each way, ignored spooky stuff, was polite for a new rider. Loaded well to come home, stood quietly whilst we had a social catch up, travelled well again. Happy to be back. Good boy.

170295587_247828047030426_2780865425322490386_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Woo hoo sounds like a big success, clever Rigsby. Hope there were lots of celerybrations!

There certainly were. Especially when he let me mount from a massive tractor tyre, when he ignored the helium balloon stuck in the hedge, when he was polite for my friend to ride and when he was just good to stand on the box!

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby has continued to have extreme busyness!

Today Rigsby went with me to buy diesel. About an hour's round trip, a whole set of new things: the petrol station smells and sounds weird to a horse, we stopped and he didn't get off, he had to wait with the doors closed, not to mention seeing the shopping parade, the 4 railway crossings and 2 sets of traffic lights... all new sights and sounds.

After a brief turn out in the arena, we went hacking, and we saw other horses, having a canter in a field. Rigsby was high. High rate of breathing, high head carriage, high attention, high knees, high tail but... he was good and kept walking. Just walking.

We circled away from the other horses, he complied. Even better, on the way home we caught up with them. I thought he might jog to catch up but no, he just walked very efficiently and caught up in a polite manner!

Today it is warmer so he has had a mane/tail and leg wash. He is now out in the field, with muzzle (bless him) awaiting the vet - who is going to stab him with a needle yet again
1f631.png

Rigsby says, "When is she back at school, is it soon?"

ETA - Vet been. Rigsby was good with the weighbridge, 441KG. Vet thinks he is now the perfect weight. Stabbed with second vaccination, back out in the sun.

171257871_10220247842090223_8026577980255299868_n.jpg171264982_10220247703046747_6747223694449708757_n.jpg170869739_10220247702446732_9004949182040922113_n.jpg

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I thought of you and Rigsby again today @Red-1, when I was having my lesson. Little cob and I were working on leg yielding and canter. I think he finds these a bit tricky. Every time we got a little better I thought we ought to have had a 'celerybration'! He had to settle for lots of 'good boy' and scratches instead :D

Red-1

Visit site
Horse had a day of Cranio Sacral work done, and a foot trim (Fiona is more expert than me) plus she assessed me riding him and agrees the saddle was correctly balanced for how he was, but after treatment today his hollow near the withers on the left hand side hs gone, so we rebalanced the saddle again to the new shape.

He only had a short road walk to assess and a short riding session, due to the vaccination yesterday, but he went beautifully.

Fiona was working constantly from around 10am to 4pm. I was standing around most of that time, exhausting for me, I can't imagine how she felt!

Fiona is a magician. She set things that others don't. I am blessed (as is Rigsby!).
171206870_10220256861755709_7802130717925487963_n.jpg171097590_10220256862115718_4252560125905417141_n.jpg

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
I thought of you and Rigsby again today @Red-1, when I was having my lesson. Little cob and I were working on leg yielding and canter. I think he finds these a bit tricky. Every time we got a little better I thought we ought to have had a 'celerybration'! He had to settle for lots of 'good boy' and scratches instead :D

I wonder what your instructor would think, if you suggested celerybrations??? :eek::p:cool:

Wishfilly

Visit site
I love reading your updates! You definitely make me feel like I should have higher standards for my pony, though! I'm sure you would be appalled by the things I let him get away with!

Red-1

Visit site
Bittersweet day today. Many memories have come to the surface.

Firstly, took Rigsby for a drive in his car, an hour round 4 villages. Normally I watch him on the camera whilst having a disco bus, singing to the radio. Sadly, the radio was taken over by the news of Prince Philip, so many sad songs and memories. Sadly too, it made me think of the difference as to what was available for him during Covid and what was available for mum, and the other old folks who have found themselves at the end of life at this time.

It really hit me, for some reason. Not that I begrudge Prince Philip the best of care, but... I don't know... mum had good care, but not the access to hospital she could have done with TBH. TBH, the ambulance/hospital care was sometimes woeful. Bordering on negligence. Not the fault of the individuals who worked there, but of systemic failings. It was awful, trying to get someone to listen. Believe me, I bust a gut trying. Meanwhile, she declined.

Then, the carers at the homes she had to move to were stretched through being short staffed and I was not allowed to visit. It has been so... sad doesn't cover it. Stressful doesn't cover it either. This morning, I shed a tear for all the old folks who didn't have loved ones with them as they became more confused, who missed out on 'normal' care standards, who didn't have a fitting funeral...

Then I got home and saw a 'memory' on Facebook. 2 years ago, right now, on this day, today, mum still lived next door. By the afternoon we had moved her, by the power of team work, to the independent living facility. It was a big day! Mum lived at the barn, sharing the yard with us, for longer than she had ever lived anywhere else. Her supported living flat didn't work out the way we wanted, but it was a lovely place. Still miss mum living next door, never mind the fact that she is now gone forever.

Then... someone 'liked' a post I had done on here, in July of 2019, so around 20 months ago, about our mid year goal setting, here...

So, my update - horse is still lovely. Picking her up again was later than I expected as mum did not recover as well as we all hoped, I whipped the horse's shoes off and she spent most of winter being led round the village a few times a week as that is all I could manage with everything else going on.

I got back on in the New Year, did a bit of schooling followed by a few RC clinics and then mum needed to move to an assisted living place and I was actually so busy/stressed sorting it all out that I sent the horse away completely for 8 weeks. While she was there she did some BS at British Novice and I went and rode a couple of times a week.

The horse is home now and I have been out and about to clinics, as well as starting more focused lessons with a FAB trainer who I trusted to pick me up from the floor that I found myself on through all that I was dealing with. In the past few weeks we have been jumping at home, hacking out, and I think she has won 3 of the past 5 dressage competitions we have entered, with a 2nd in another. Just prelim unaffiliated, but hey, we are out having fun. More importantly, we are improving, I am being sucked back into the wonder of the world of balance, communication, subtlety - as well as getting fitter!

I continue to have a lot of other responsibilities, so hesitate to set any firm goals, but hope to continue with hacking in new places, do more lessons to start Novice dressage, maybe affiliate BD nearer the end of the year. Get jumping a bit more too. In the next couple of months I have booked into two camps, one at Osberton and one at Sommerford. At the camps I plan on just being. No goals at camp at all, just to have a break with my lovely horse.

Photo is from earlier this month, a pick you own/don't even bother with show clothes dressage competition. Horse is ace!View attachment 34721

This is the horse that I sold last year, when mum was in care. She needed actually riding, and I was so full of other stuff that I had nothing left to give her. She went - Rigsby came.

Somehow, today, with the sad music and memories, it has got to me.

So, Rigsby came. What a blessing he is. He is a real character, a fuzzy, furry, friendly face.

Last edited:

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Bittersweet day today. Many memories have come to the surface.

Firstly, took Rigsby for a drive in his car, an hour round 4 villages. Normally I watch him on the camera whilst having a disco bus, singing to the radio. Sadly, the radio was taken over by the news of Prince Philip, so many sad songs and memories. Sadly too, it made me think of the difference as to what was available for him during Covid and what was available for mum, and the other old folks who have found themselves at the end of life at this time.

It really hit me, for some reason. Not that I begrudge Prince Philip the best of care, but... I don't know... mum had good care, but not the access to hospital she could have done with TBH. TBH, the ambulance/hospital care was sometimes woeful. Bordering on negligence. Not the fault of the individuals who worked there, but of systemic failings. It was awful, trying to get someone to listen. Believe me, I bust a gut trying. Meanwhile, she declined.

Then, the carers at the homes she had to move to were stretched through being short staffed and I was not allowed to visit. It has been so... sad doesn't cover it. Stressful doesn't cover it either. This morning, I shed a tear for all the old folks who didn't have loved ones with them as they became more confused, who missed out on 'normal' care standards, who didn't have a fitting funeral...

Somehow, today, with the sad music and memories, it has got to me.

So, Rigsby came. What a blessing he is. He is a real character, a fuzzy, furry, friendly face.

This sums up perfectly how I am feeling this morning.

Red-1

Visit site
I know this is now a cliche, but yet another massive day for Rigsby!

It is 10 days of travel training, ending today. From not travelling, to travelling to the first 'thing' that I had in mind as a 'want' when I bought him, but couldn't do because he didn't travel. 10 days of increasing exercises. A goal achieved.

Today, Rigsby and I traveled to a friend's house to hack out with them and their lovely horse. It is something we spoke about for ages, since before I even owned Rigsby.

Rigsby's homework was done, we even did the journey on the disco bus yesterday to increase his travel range. We have already travelled to a friend's arena, but that was thought up after the kind offer of the visit. This one has been months in the planning and felt like a real trip as opposed to a schooling opportunity. An end, a goal achieved. Not that I appreciate the previous trip to my friend's arena any less, but there is a certain extra satisfaction in achieving a dream made months ago, and previously unattainable. TBH, when I got Rigsby I didn't even know if he would make a riding horse, so it was a huge step.

Rigsby loaded and travelled impeccably, was good to tack up, and had a first.... I used the toilet in the wagon, in the spare partition. That was curious to him, but no bother. He offloaded like a pro, let me mount, but another first, it was off the lorry step ladder. Note to self, Rigsby is shorter than previous horses, the step ladder was too large!

We waited for my friend with her horse to join us, Rigsby found it troublesome to stand still, but other than walk a few circles was good. He politely greeted the other horse and walked beside it with good manners. Out hacking he was amazing! Met loads of stuff he hadn't seen before and was a true gentleman. Dogs gnashing at him through a fence, neigh bother. Builders' sacks, neigh bother. Road signs, stuff on the floor, all was inspected and walked passed without fuss. he was worried once, when we had to go under the overpass (!). The cars over his head were obviously unexpected and he crouched a bit with his bum low, but nothing else.

Better still an hour on the roads and he felt FAB. Every time Fiona trims him, his feet get better functioning. I can hold the pattern between trims but Fiona is something else.

Rigsby got a bit worried when we split up at the end, whinnied and circled when the mare went back to bed. I stepped him back, had to actually tap his chest to let him know that running through the rein to circle was unacceptable. Once he was listening to me again, he was polite, let me untack. He had one false start into the box, but loaded 2nd time. He didn't stamp once. It is like you 'groove' a behaviour, and when he got onto the box, he went into his, much practiced, routine, he knows that he stands on the box many times a day, and he has to eat.

So, the day ended successfully, him eating, us chatting. He travelled well on the way home and even was in no rush to offload (because, when he did, it was, of course, into a stable with water and bedding to pee onto, but no hay!). He is now in the field.

Good Rigsby.

10 days of training well spent, IMO!

171770295_262377875540581_6217986799316938506_n.jpg171295310_751810412372661_2521769558816034409_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
You're up to an hour hacking? Brilliant ?

We could do an hour hacking, but a lot of it had to be on the verge or tracks. Most of today was on the road. Fiona is amazing with small changes to the trim, he was soooo much more confident on the roads today. She thinks our previous worry wasn't due to his feet per se, she thinks he has previously slipped on the road front end one way, back end the other. She treated this strain, and his saddle, that previously needed more padding one one side than the other, suddenly was level with level padding, as the hollow behind the left wither now matches the right.

Fiona is a magician with feet, bodies and saddles, also helping me with my riding (she gave me a lesson at the same time, I was making him behind the vertical on the left rein). It was 6 hours well spent. She usually 'does' me too, but she isn't doing people yet, with Covid. She has seen my issues though, and sent me some exercises to do off the horse.

So good when you have someone you trust to have a conversation with, so you can make a plan.

I will take credit for his training on confidence and yielding to the rider though. I think we have worked well together. He is so great, has a real sense of fairness, is friendly... we have built up a great relationship. I think the secret is that we find each other good, reliable company.

Red-1

Visit site
After the full hour on the roads on Sunday, I decided to school yesterday. It was warm, he was not at his most energetic. However, it was a good time to practice gathering what energy you do have, and using the gathered energy to the go forwards. So, in other words, because there wasn't much GO in Rigsby, we practiced half halting to get some!

He did well.

Today, I still preferred to lay off roadwork (will hack tomorrow) but never do 2 days on the arena in a row, so we rode in the field. More Police Horse training! I tried filming with the Pivo, not terribly successfully :rolleyes:

A couple of still shots.

The good thing is that he did a walk, trot and canter, even while I was holding the flag, and when he is unbalanced he slows rather than runs off. At my age and stage, it feels like a bonus - although Tranter is going to be trained out!!!

Double bonus - he let me haul myself aboard from the floor three times (faffing with camera).

173919076_10220286789303879_6040962516829615185_n.jpg
173365659_10220286789583886_6670275542939534424_n.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes but why the Swedish flag, and back to front at that??? Tut tut.....

Red-1

Visit site
Yes but why the Swedish flag, and back to front at that??? Tut tut.....

I have English, French, German and American too. TBH, the Swedish one is slightly less crackly in the ind, so I generally start them with that one, plus I like the colours. I have no idea which way up it is supposed to go :p, and probably will have them all the wrong way :eek: but they are just for a splash of colour. He is fine with the noise, I did think about getting a different one out today, but they are at the bottom of the rug bin!

Red-1

Visit site
You're boasting now ?

Cheap eBay purchases.

I have a full set of noise making equipment, tarpaulins/plastic, barrels etc, and as for balls, Rigsby has everything from a Jolly ball to one of the 4ft diameter horse footballs!

I like playing, seeing where our trust is, building on it.

Red-1

Visit site
Hacking yesterday went well, his feet really are getting tougher on the roads! Today, however, we were back in the school.

My back is playing up, so we did a lightweight session, with the bareback pad. That was a 1st for us as a pairing. Rigsby was his customary gentlemanly self, sidled up to the mounting block, let me launch on. He paid a lot of attention to where my balance was, it felt like he was looking out for me.

We worked mainly in walk, the bareback pad somehow makes it so my legs hang loose off his sides from my knee down, so he had to be self propelled, which he did brilliantly at. Then, we started sone leg yielding, both on the straight and on a circle. This went better than ever before, I do find that bareback they seem to understand where you want them, as they can follow your weight much better.

Then, rein back. This also went better than ever. I use a closed knee anyway to signal rein back, and this was tons clearer, so we got proper joined up steps as opposed to a step then a step, then a step and a bit later another step!

His finale was turns on fore and haunch. I'm not talking fancy, but so he is more manoeuvrable to do gates. With the Police horses, they did a lot of manoeuvrability training so they could be manoeuvred, one handed, accurately, in a crowd. Rigsby had to do 180 degrees on his haunches, then change to do 180 degrees on his fore, then on his haunch... So they make their way down the school, changing one to the other. He has done individual turns, but this was the first time I had linked them up, just for fun. He was a champ!

We finished up with a little bit of trot. Just a few circles, larges and centre lines. I love the bareback pad as I can feel when he deviates his balance from centre, so can correct an actual deviation before it happens. he took great care of me, bless him.

Rigsby is also still doing daily loading practice. He looks forward to coming in and munching on the box. Puts himself on. I am still doing random opening/closing of ramps and doors.