I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Rigsby's first ever competition, and he went and won it. Of course, it was more important that he had a nice experience and left the competition feeling more confident than when he went but he did that too, so a win was just the icing on the cake!

Lovely comments from the judge. The only downer is... Rigsby really does look a bit small for me, even though I have gone down in weight. I am not too heavy for him, but I am too long! Rigsby however, is NOT for sale, but I think another is needed if I want to do more than we are.

That always was the plan, but even so, I am sad that I look a bit big. Who would have thought 6 months ago that Riggers would get a red frilly?

View attachment 70376View attachment 70377View attachment 70378View attachment 70379

What a score! Well done both of you.

Rosemary28

Visit site
He is not for sale! Besides, most people on here would recommend I PTS rather than pass him on. He can stay, be ridden whilever he enjoys that, then be a companion only.

I more meant that he is the the sort I love, I am well aware he is not far sale ? you have done amazing things with him!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Many congratulations on a fantastic day out. You must be so chuffed.
I am. I really didn't know if he would make a ridden horse at all. I have put hours into walking in hand as rehab (for both of us, actually), done hours of schooling in 10 minute chunks and sometimes despaired at how little work he could do. But, little by little, his capacity has increased and his skill level with it.

So much has had to come together, I am still amazed, he feels great.

KEK

Visit site
Wow, congratulations! What a long way he has come in the relatively short time you have had him, very inspirational.

Red-1

Visit site
We had a lovely time at the farm ride. Went in the box, travelled great, was a gent when we met up with the two other horses, a gent all the way round.

Rigsby doesn't yet have any experience jumping under saddle, but I did step him over a ditch. Well, not quite, he put one front foot and one back foot IN the ditch as he didn't really know what to do with it, so he simply walked through!

He also went through the water, got a lead first time but then confidently walked and trotted through.

He did take 5 minutes to load at the end because he could see the other horses but it is all part of his learning journey. He loaded 3 times more at home perfectly and is now in the field. He spends a lot of time rolling!

A lovely sunny day, out with friends and a great horse.

176812006_10220354212229410_2361057477382955113_n.jpg177259430_10220354211429390_2718321776265178553_n.jpg176392718_10220354213229435_2883077629182146464_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
You would think that today would be a 'nothing' day, being as we just hacked round the village, but no.

Yesterday and when we last hacked but somewhere special, Rigsby held himself differently. His engine was engaged the whole time. He was, well not quite collected, but hearing that way.

Today, I decided that I was having that feeling all the time. A 'up' and energetic feel, rather than a plod.

It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be :D. We just paraded round the village. Like a real Fresian. Proud and alert, but also listening.

Who would think that a simple walk round the village could be so... refreshing!

Red-1

Visit site
When he was on his more exciting outings, Rigsby held himself better. Yesterday I decided the more engaged movement was to be the new norm, we marched, nay, paraded round the village, with some persuasion
1f61c.png
. This felt a whole bunch more engaged than plodding
1f60e.png

Today I thought we would try for the 'added extra' on the arena too, I decided to put some pressure on him to really compact himself, just to see what he could do.

He initially thought that added pressure meant added pressure from him too, so we did some halts and reverses to remind him not to be 'into pressure' to the bit. They started off a bit ropey, but got better. We managed some turns about the haunches, then, in trot, some start of shoulder-in. There was much celerybration.

I also put some poles out, so we could have some more challenging work at canter. The poles are there for focus as I tend to be too mañana, and a pole means I have to get us organised, now, so pressure on me to make it happen in a timely manner instead of dribbling along in out own world. We did 9 minutes of work, with celerybrations, but I did insist on active but compact work.
Rigsby seemed happy enough, and I was smiling.

Once we have the 'added extra' as a valid daily expectation the we can make it softer.

One picture, captured by screenshot off the Pivo film, so not the best quality! It does at least show him compacted and a bit more uphill.

176826181_933291837428239_6576984377299080070_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
I like that, even on Rigsby's easy-hacking days, we learn something. Rigsby now loads perfectly at home, but still takes a few minutes to load when he is excited about being somewhere new, so today I rode a bit further through the village and was picked up.

It meant a new section of bridleway, which was especially exciting because the local shoot was active. We also met a man strimming behind a hedge. Rigsby was typically Rigsby-like: he reacts by walking like a Friesian horse, but doesn't actually break out of walk.

He loaded roadside on the third effort, so still not great (although hardly disastrous as it was probably about 60 seconds in total); next week he will go for a daily drive. I have found two more places to travel to and ride as well as drives where he won't get off the box. He will find I am as determined as he is
1f602.png
but seriously, travel will become more familiar and less exciting. I don't mind a few minutes of loading, what I do mind is that he feels overwhelmed enough to have a slight mental block. I want for him to feel confident. It is, these days, a surprise if he says "no" to anything, and I don't like it.

Many more little trips needed, make it all very much part of his routine on low risk trips before going to anything more exciting.

Photo of the new section of bridleway. Best view in the world, big fluffy mane.

178588025_773121723578042_6233532833321986321_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Stress, stress, stress...

FINALLY, paperwork for mum's estate arrived to be signed. It "should" have been done in March, but the solicitor blames Covid, IT problems, holiday.... whatever... for them being late. Then, when they finally arrived, they had so many errors they needed re-doing... Then... it inexplicably took 3 weeks to re-issue the papers. We also had an inexplicable 1 week delay on a special delivery :rolleyes: only to find... another error on the papers :mad:

Stress doesn't cover it.

I have a twitchy left eye permanently.

It's not about the money, it is about closure. I haven't grieved yet, and I don't think I will until all of the practical stuff is done.

Sooooo, the papers finally landed here at 1.30 today. I signed, the envelope was taken to the post office within the hour. Rigsby is doing a daily trip on the box, so it seemed fitting for him to accompany me to the Post Office! He was a champ, didn't move a muscle, even when left parked unattended.

Once we had done that little chore, we came home and went for a lovely hack out. Well, it should have been lovely, but I was still grumpy at the enormity of the paperwork challenge. I even had 2 more charities writing to her for money to sort out. Grrrrr. It seems never ending. I am soooo glad that I have a Rigsby. He seems very patient with me when I am grumpy. He just sets off on his ride, does his thing and comes home to eat. A simple life.

Good old Riggers.

He is perfect for me, especially whilst I work through this.

179269113_10220389544112685_7025573325458998162_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Yesterday I was still stressed, Rigsby told me off! I hadn't done anything to him, but he could feel my vibe and told me to get a grip, squealed at me when I groomed him. I could see his point, I was feeling grrrr. So, instead of schooling, we went for a nice ride. He was ace. Long rein. He wanted to go exploring footpaths, he doesn't know he isn't allowed. As ever, he out a smile back on my face!

Today...
I took Rigsby to somewhere posh! His first ever indoor arena!

I was on a mission, for Riggers to do his first ever jump!

His previous owner said she once aimed him at a raised pole and he tripped and fell over it
1f633.png
and she never tried again.

A while back, I trotted him at a x pole (after we had done the trot poles, and a canter pole sessions). He trotted at it, full of promise, when he got there he slowed and carefully stepped over, one foot at a time, then trotted off, all pleased with himself
1f602.png

His canter is simply not good enough to try from canter yet.

I aimed him, at walk, at a little ditch when we were at the XC course. He didn't understand what I was asking there either, but made a best-Rigsby job of it, one front foot and one back foot in the ditch - he walked straight through.

Soooo, we went with the mission to get him to actually jump a jump instead of walking over. Not too high a goal, you would think.

Bless Rigsby, he us neither nappy or spooky, he was amazed at the size of the indoor, and I dare say at the prospect of being ridden indoors, but he is a cool dude and took it all in his stride. His canter was good! He liked the posh surface and the fact that the space was so big.

We cracked trotting over the fence quite quickly. But that was it, no jumps. Just a big trot. We put it up to see if that would prompt a leap, nope, he tripped
1f644.png

We tried a spooky plank, nope Rigsby was not spooked. With a pole on top? Nope. Next the blue water tray sheet, folded up, hmmm, that almost worked....

So we unfolded it a bit bigger. Yessss! the last photo shows his very first jump! The last photo shows both front feet definitely off the floor together.

I never stopped smiling, he is so funny. Fair to say that he is not an athlete. But, Rigsby has jumped!
1f61c.png

He was also perfect to box, travel, unbox, mount, work, re-load, everything.

Good boy. He is a really good companion.

Different types of goals for a different type of horse!

180646071_10220403723427159_4159245357122055052_n.jpg179483223_10220403723907171_8447337270585247299_n.jpg179336909_10220403724707191_2203169873964019869_n.jpg180417496_10220403725227204_3775903106034036545_n.jpg180492140_10220403726027224_6031409379847357999_n.jpg

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
Bless his little white sock, he hasn't got a clue, has he :)? I'm expecting similar from Deza when I try a little fence on Saturday.

Nope, even the first trotting poles confused him, he had never seen double distance ones. I had done singles and normal distance. He wanted to walk to examine them carefully. But, he did everything first time, brave as a lion, steady and careful. It was just that this was the one and only actual jump we got out of him!

It really was just for fun. He needs to strengthen and get fitter a lot more before jumping is really on the agenda, and it doesn't matter if he never gets it. He is simply amazing as he is :cool: