I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

j1ffy

Visit site

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Rigsby's breathing has been good, he is up for anything, but we have builders in so he has done nothing for 2 weeks, until today. Well, nothing other than supervise the builders. He was very interested in the pouring of concrete and was every bit the site manager. Since his breathing improved, he has been putting weight back on. He is as far as it wants to be now, so his hay will be cut again to maintenance.

It is coming up to mum's internment in the churchyard. Today, I practiced the route with Rigsby and timed it. 15 minutes dead (pardon the pun).

I know this is the right thing, to carry mum there on Rigsby (ashes, obviously, not a whole body!) for her last journey, as it felt very moving just in today's walk round.

I even wondered how I would manage when it was time to hand the ashes over after such a personal time on the journey; now that would be a first for the vicar, I'm sure. a relative refusing to allow the ashes to be interned on the day.

I shed a tear on the way home.

I took a couple of photos on our practice run, to send to his previous owner, who had messaged enquiring about him. He is wearing a Kimblewick as he has 2 very petite riders, and I don't want any misunderstandings.

245262281_10221389436109360_1744076347833823876_n.jpg
245162501_10221389436309365_6090379664883820611_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Building work has not gone well, lost the builders with the work only half done. The yard was dug up, the lawn like a swamp, no drainage, lost cash etc... However, some heroic people have stepped in and we almost have a functional yard. Thank goodness for nice people!

Rigs hasn't been ridden since last weekend, it has been too frantic with builders, work, Homer in the next county who does need riding, no parking... but, today, Rigs has been trimmed on his legs and had a leg, mane and tail wash ready to carry mum's ashes to the church tomorrow. I have a bugler booked as well. I have also cleaned tack, polished my boots, got my clothes ready and arranged for Rigs to be brought home during the service.

Super little horse. I trust him to carry a large and heavy bag with no practice. He will be fine (unless he thinks it contains food LOL).

Red-1

Visit site
We didn't make it out for a meal after the internment, because... drum roll... we had concrete!

The yard has been in such disarray. It has made a hard time even harder. But, after drying, the concrete is now usable, the yard is restored!

Such a relief.

From this...
249447936_947952576100469_1921174756012608714_n.jpg

Which is how it looked when we lost the builders last week.

To this...

247658940_10221433265365064_1455367726678232969_n.jpg

Which I took last night.

There are some truly good people out there, four (un)caped heroes sorted it out for us. I was, and am, blown away by their kindness.

Red-1

Visit site
I just did a thread about this, but will reproduce it here...

Since having Rigsby, I have learned more about EMS and laminitis than I ever imagined. It has, by enlarge, been a success. He was dieted, under vets supervision, and then tested on the caro sugar test as able to have sugars, EMS reading down from in the hundreds to in the teens. We got him up to 4 hours in a field muzzled, 1 hour not, and called it good for the year as he is now back on hardstanding whilst we transfer from soaked hay to high fibre haylage.

I have been uneasy though. He is often hungry. I am in loads of FB groups, and it is generally accepted that EMS/laminitic horses have to be hungry. I have fed straw as a belly filler, which helps, but then the straw is full of chemicals, so not ideal.

I read a post on one of the FB groups last night, saying that the owner had contacted Forage Plus for advice. They advised to use Topline Plus balancer. The owner was alarmed, surely that would bring on lami? The nutritionist said not, that horses on a soaked hay/light diet needed protein to stop feeling hungry.

It was like a light bulb!

On another thread I started, I charted my success with the Noom program. I had already lost a stack of weight by myself, but had stuck ay 11 1/2 stone. Using Noom, I have smashed it. Down to 9st3lbs. The strange thing is, it felt effortless. I was never hungry. The secret? Amongst a lot of other stuff, I had increased my protein. When I was stuck, extra protein had unstuck me. The Forage Plus thing made complete sense to me.

But, I fear lami with Rigsby, so would no way simply follow a random FB post for advice.

I headed over to the web page, and yes, the product does say it is suitable for laminitics.

Topline Plus | Protein for Horses | Forageplus

I will copy some of the blurb..........................

"
Why Feed Horses Topline Plus?
Some forages are low in available protein and a range of amino acids due to a complicated interaction between nitrogen and sulphur levels in the soil. Many horses benefit from an increase in protein for muscle development.

Extra protein can help with poor topline but also lethargy problems and poor hoof and skin quality. Topline Plus enables you to target supplementation without including extra calories and can suppress overeating from good doer types. Your horse can therefore continue to enjoy ad-lib hay without the added calorie concerns that feeding more compound feed would entail.

Naturally contains 85.9% protein.

No added sugar

Provides 75 grams of protein per 100 grams of the product

Which horses will benefit from the addition of Topline Plus?
  • Those on a reduced hay ratio due to needing to lose weight.
  • Horses with poor topline or body condition needing muscle building.
  • Laminitis prone horses needing a very low sugar and starch protein source due to high sugar sensitivity.
  • Older horses which are struggling to maintain top line and body condition score.
  • Horses that have access to low protein levels in the forage they are eating, can be determined from a nutritional and mineral analysis of hay or haylage.
  • Those on a pure winter grass diet when protein levels can be low and contribute to hoof and skin issues.
  • Horses with poor hoof wall connection and or cracks. Barefoot horses in particular will benefit with stronger soles and white line connection.
  • Ponies & Horses on a heavy exercise program.
  • Young horses on a forage-based diet needing protein for optimum growth.
  • Pregnant or lactating mares on a forage-based diet who need high protein requirements.
..................................................................."

I have ordered some.

Rigsby's hunger has been the only thing that has bothered me. He is sound. I don't like him looking skinny, but can get my head round that, as I am now skinny and it actually feels good! Ribs showing doesn't hurt, but hunger does. Noom helped me get slim without hunger due to protein.

If anyone else wants to try this, I will report back.

If anyone wants to try it now, here is a 10% discount code...

REFYZEHF7929Q

I sincerely hope this helps Rigs be satisfied. It did for me, I am a bit "facepalm" that I didn't think of it earlier.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I just did a thread about this, but will reproduce it here...

Since having Rigsby, I have learned more about EMS and laminitis than I ever imagined. It has, by enlarge, been a success. He was dieted, under vets supervision, and then tested on the caro sugar test as able to have sugars, EMS reading down from in the hundreds to in the teens. We got him up to 4 hours in a field muzzled, 1 hour not, and called it good for the year as he is now back on hardstanding whilst we transfer from soaked hay to high fibre haylage.

I have been uneasy though. He is often hungry. I am in loads of FB groups, and it is generally accepted that EMS/laminitic horses have to be hungry. I have fed straw as a belly filler, which helps, but then the straw is full of chemicals, so not ideal.

I read a post on one of the FB groups last night, saying that the owner had contacted Forage Plus for advice. They advised to use Topline Plus balancer. The owner was alarmed, surely that would bring on lami? The nutritionist said not, that horses on a soaked hay/light diet needed protein to stop feeling hungry.

It was like a light bulb!

On another thread I started, I charted my success with the Noom program. I had already lost a stack of weight by myself, but had stuck ay 11 1/2 stone. Using Noom, I have smashed it. Down to 9st3lbs. The strange thing is, it felt effortless. I was never hungry. The secret? Amongst a lot of other stuff, I had increased my protein. When I was stuck, extra protein had unstuck me. The Forage Plus thing made complete sense to me.

But, I fear lami with Rigsby, so would no way simply follow a random FB post for advice.

I headed over to the web page, and yes, the product does say it is suitable for laminitics.

Topline Plus | Protein for Horses | Forageplus

I will copy some of the blurb..........................

"
Why Feed Horses Topline Plus?
Some forages are low in available protein and a range of amino acids due to a complicated interaction between nitrogen and sulphur levels in the soil. Many horses benefit from an increase in protein for muscle development.

Extra protein can help with poor topline but also lethargy problems and poor hoof and skin quality. Topline Plus enables you to target supplementation without including extra calories and can suppress overeating from good doer types. Your horse can therefore continue to enjoy ad-lib hay without the added calorie concerns that feeding more compound feed would entail.

Naturally contains 85.9% protein.

No added sugar

Provides 75 grams of protein per 100 grams of the product

Which horses will benefit from the addition of Topline Plus?
  • Those on a reduced hay ratio due to needing to lose weight.
  • Horses with poor topline or body condition needing muscle building.
  • Laminitis prone horses needing a very low sugar and starch protein source due to high sugar sensitivity.
  • Older horses which are struggling to maintain top line and body condition score.
  • Horses that have access to low protein levels in the forage they are eating, can be determined from a nutritional and mineral analysis of hay or haylage.
  • Those on a pure winter grass diet when protein levels can be low and contribute to hoof and skin issues.
  • Horses with poor hoof wall connection and or cracks. Barefoot horses in particular will benefit with stronger soles and white line connection.
  • Ponies & Horses on a heavy exercise program.
  • Young horses on a forage-based diet needing protein for optimum growth.
  • Pregnant or lactating mares on a forage-based diet who need high protein requirements.
..................................................................."

I have ordered some.

Rigsby's hunger has been the only thing that has bothered me. He is sound. I don't like him looking skinny, but can get my head round that, as I am now skinny and it actually feels good! Ribs showing doesn't hurt, but hunger does. Noom helped me get slim without hunger due to protein.

If anyone else wants to try this, I will report back.

If anyone wants to try it now, here is a 10% discount code...

REFYZEHF7929Q

I sincerely hope this helps Rigs be satisfied. It did for me, I am a bit "facepalm" that I didn't think of it earlier.

Thank you, I've found this very interesting and look forward to see how Rigsby gets on with it and if it makes a difference.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I've only just caught with your thread, Red. I'm glad that the interment went well and that your yard is restored to order. I don't know how you dare be late with Riggers' tea! The protein thing definitely makes sense.

Squeak

Visit site
Agreed, managing to wait until 12 for lunch was quite a challenge today. Glad the internment went well and that the yard is fixed again. Hopefully the next couple of weeks will be a bit easier!

Red-1

Visit site
More stress. Got home from work and found the tree surgeons hard at work. I wasn't expecting them until next week!

Rigsby apparently ran round the first few branches that fell beside his turnout, but by the time I got home he had come to terms with it and was in full site manager mode. This is him examining the wood shredder. It was extremely loud, and apparently very interesting.

251777515_573163690588894_5493958131357285992_n.jpg

On the bright side, his tea was served at an acceptable time!