I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Miss_Millie

Visit site
@Red-1 you have probably mentioned this somewhere on your thread, but how tall is the lovely Rigsby? I was laughing out loud at him being cross with you when the clocks changed! Love following this thread.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
@Red-1 you have probably mentioned this somewhere on your thread, but how tall is the lovely Rigsby? I was laughing out loud at him being cross with you when the clocks changed! Love following this thread.

Hi, he measures 15.1 on the stick, but he is a bit sway backed and not very long, so feels small for that. The new boy only measures 15.3 and a bit, but he feels huge in comparison.

Rigs does scold me somewhat. We went to a firework party last night, so he had an extra, small, interim net as we left, then a proper late, late net when we got back... but breakfast was delayed as I had a lie in. He is usually fed at 6am, but didn't tuck in until 8am. I mentioned, before I had even opened the kitchen door, that I was about to get a telling off. I did. The time without food was the same, but he was very cross.

The builders all love him. He woofles down his nose at them and supervises every move they make.

I am quite excited as, after 2 weeks we are now on 50/50 soaked hay and haylage in the big forage swap. On Monday we will be 75/25! Soon, soaking hay will be gone - just in time for the frosts!!!

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
The main building work is done, tonight Rigs had his first taste of his stable with veranda. He loved it! Took to trotting in and out, sampling his hay, his freedom, a bit of grass stolen through the fence...

Also today, Homer came back home from his holiday (because of the building work). Rigsby was unimpressed, but I am relieved.

If anyone is interested, Homer's blog is now on, send me a PM to share the blog if you are interested, as I don't want reporting for advertising!

Red-1

Visit site
I read your first blog post and really enjoyed it, but couldn't see anywhere to give it a like...

I will send you a link, they didn't put the first one up in the normal way. The link I will send is to the article on FB, that is where it can be 'liked'.

They have also enabled it so people can comment on the blog, on their web site. As it will be ups and downs with a new baby, I hope people are kind!!!

jnb

Visit site
@Red-1 I'm sure if you just said xxxxx FB page H&H couldn't object, so we can all go and read the Blog? Would love something to take my mind off my OH's impending hip surgery, and my impeccably-timed bad back (plus rehab horse & crazy busy job)
Thank you

Red-1

Visit site
@Red-1 I'm sure if you just said xxxxx FB page H&H couldn't object, so we can all go and read the Blog? Would love something to take my mind off my OH's impending hip surgery, and my impeccably-timed bad back (plus rehab horse & crazy busy job)
Thank you
Fraggle2 has found it and linked.

cauda equina

Visit site
That set-up looks perfect
Is that a back ie extra door, or the only in/out for his stable?
I was thinking about putting in a patio at the back for one of mine who was spending a long time stabled, but I imagined all the bedding escaping to the outside

Red-1

Visit site
That set-up looks perfect
Is that a back ie extra door, or the only in/out for his stable?
I was thinking about putting in a patio at the back for one of mine who was spending a long time stabled, but I imagined all the bedding escaping to the outside

It is an extra one. Basically, we cut the wall below the window, so the new door replaces the old window. That means the lintel was already in place. Both doors took 2 workmen one day to fit. New doors were £250 each, but we needed new windows anyway as the old ones were rotten. The back of the stables open into the back garden of the house.

I was worried about draughts, but we always had the top window open anyway. I only ever blocked it with cardboard for fireworks, other than that, there was no way to close it.

Now, if it was wild weather or fireworks, both top and bottom doors could close.

For more normal winter weather, when the bottom door is closed, I have a full grid up with some translucent netting sewn on, so it will deflect the rain and worst of the wind, but allows airflow in moderation and light in.

With both top and bottom doors open, the rain would drive in, not sure how to cure that yet, looking at little porches. I think Rigsby would also be OK with the plastic curtains like you get for warehouses. I think he would be quite willing to push through his grandmother, if there was food on the other side! I even thought about the chain type fly curtains. If anyone has a better idea, I would be glad to hear it!

Yes, the bedding is being slightly problematic. We are going to fit a big wooden batten in the doorway to hold it back.

255650071_878331936201223_3223671931575829168_n.jpg

cauda equina

Visit site
Thanks for that
It's a whole new design challenge, trying to retro fit an outdoor space.
If I ever build stables again I'll have a patio from the start

Red-1

Visit site
Thanks for that
It's a whole new design challenge, trying to retro fit an outdoor space.
If I ever build stables again I'll have a patio from the start

I realised their usefulness when I was visiting friends in America every year. They all had them! Their weather was more extreme than ours and, especially in harsh winters, they were indispensable. It ahs taken me 10 years, and a needy horse, to get round to doing it though.

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby has been sweating again. Goodness only knows, I don't want to clip him! He doesn't work, isn't rugged.... But he IS too hot. I spent a good.... 10 minutes
1f923.png
giving him a 'secret clip' so he can be more comfortable. Not really visible (good job as it was a quickie) just a triangle on his tummy and a bit of chest.
257549722_312694180679697_3301048794109423299_n.jpg
258435073_4593465507358605_7135160573366447856_n (1).jpg
258495094_444819717066432_9109125988120569512_n.jpg

Oh, and he got mad because I poo picked the field before fetching him in, cantered round, pulled a shoe off :rolleyes: Luckily the farrier was due tomorrow anyway. Took ages to find the shoe on the fluffy arena surface tho.

Red-1

Visit site
I don't know if it is clever; it could be greedy; it could be that he is simply bullish!

When I discussed it with Mr Red, I said that Rigsby would push through his grandmother, if food were on the other side.

He did spend the afternoon with 2 flaps less, so he had a sporting chance of working it out. Her did a few false starts, then got it. I then put all of them up. The small gap in the middle will stay. Nice bit of fresh air!

Red-1

Visit site
OMG - Rigsby has colic!

Not dramatic, just lying down a lot, but... He has left some haylage. That has never happened before.

Waiting for the vet as we speak.

Poo dance please.