I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Rigsby has been a star.

I have had a week of tottering times, trying to sort out mum's finances (she is in a care home). Yesterday, I was down, but tacked up and went on our second hack. Rigsby was great!

Every day a school day. I learned not to let him get close to low hanging trees. Man, that horse has an appetite! He is very determined and was quick enough to get a mouthful.
Greedy Rigsby!

He is a spritely ride, walks on really well. Had to do a little trot to get out the way of a car, he sets off on a jaunty manner then too. Nice Rigsby.

Today, I had another tottering time on the phone, email and text to the bank. So, I went to ride my horse in not a great frame of mind. I had texts, calls and email to respond to whilst I was bringing him in, it made me feel scattered.

This is where my previous horse would struggle. She needed me peaceful and on the ball. In fact, I would have abandoned riding altogether today.

Rigsby didn't really care. He loves his work, is cheerful when saddled, now knows how to park up at the mounting block. He was co-operative and tried to learn, and when I was clumsy in my explanation, he just metaphorically shrugs his shoulders and goes abut his day.

I really fancied a ride out, but Rigsby was landing slightly heavier on his near fore yesterday, so we stuck to the carpeted school (literally carpeted, the new surface is made of chopped up carpets
1f602.png
). He feels sound, is forward and cheerful, the slight heavy landing was just in one place and could have been simply the camber of the road, but I want to play it safe as he has been lame so recently.

Rigsby is a breath of fresh air. He is ace.

So great to hear how he is just the one you need right now. He sounds like such a great guy :)

I also got a face full of tree when share horse decided to go in for a chomp on our hack today (usually he tries to for the bushes to the side not something above him!)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Saturday was rainy, and I had no reason to feel at all guilty for not riding. But today, that was much better, so we had a little play in the arena.

Rigsby has not been schooled before, he came in a bubble bit, flash and martingale, and I could see why as he was a little rude for me when I first rode him. In fact, he was so rude I stopped riding until after the dentist had been, then started teaching him what I wanted from the floor.

We are now progressing to a simple jointed egbutt snaffle, and by heck, he seems to be getting it! He is learning to soften when I pick up the rein contact instead of hardening and inserting his ears up my nose. No need for a martingale.

However, Rigsby is a bit dippy backed with no muscle (he has just had months of box rest) so we are still only doing up to 15 minutes of walk, with a lot of rests.

Luckily for Rigsby, I have lost another 4lbs of weight myself in the 3 weeks I have had him. I will lose a bit more for him, and hopefully he will also muscle up, and... in the end we may look like we match! His saddle is a 17.5 and I think a 17 would be a bit more appropriate, but it is the saddle he is used to so I won't be hasty with new saddles until we work out if Rigsby will be fit to be a riding horse or not. I only plan to wander the lanes and for him to be a companion. I guess it would be nice if he schooled up enough to do a prelim test locally, but it is not expected.

A nice week for Rigsby, I hope. He has the physio on Wednesday. I suspect that, after being at one point lame on all 4 legs this summer, there will be something she can work on!

A couple of photos from this afternoon's schooling session.

121241030_680755575898290_7104179853587849352_n.jpg121283081_409752376682114_1779037359723528124_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Good boy, Rigsby! He looks like he's trying very hard and is very, very pleased with himself. ❤

He does seem to love work. He gets an endorphin trunk when working, also when I am sctritching his heels. He loves to be told he is a, "Good boy!"

Red-1

Visit site
Physio for Rigsby. He has gad a tough year. First of all he had lami so stood awkwardly to relieve the pain, then box rested in a stable for 3 months, at the end of which his back legs were stiff.
Then he has re-started work, had the dentist (I usually have a physio after a dentist alone!) and is learning a whole new way of going.

I was so keen to have the physio, even though we are doing fine.

She has no worries, Rigsby has some pretty standard tension patterns usual for a lami horse, some compensation in his near hind, musculature from a different style of riding (he has only been hacking), but nothing sinister found in the whole treatment.

Rigsby enjoyed his treatment. He has also been left with some kenisiotape, just to help set new patterns from the lami stance.

The lady remarked what a lovely horse he is
121499787_1268068030239750_9214843595385757318_n.jpg121521932_387782702239614_5014816387703988478_n.jpg121522695_257724675661104_3212621372052030768_n.jpg121530344_1168212930246184_2231230242888585703_n.jpg121645320_332310348068106_6449694667814021922_n.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Saturday was rainy, and I had no reason to feel at all guilty for not riding. But today, that was much better, so we had a little play in the arena.

Rigsby has not been schooled before, he came in a bubble bit, flash and martingale, and I could see why as he was a little rude for me when I first rode him. In fact, he was so rude I stopped riding until after the dentist had been, then started teaching him what I wanted from the floor.

We are now progressing to a simple jointed egbutt snaffle, and by heck, he seems to be getting it! He is learning to soften when I pick up the rein contact instead of hardening and inserting his ears up my nose. No need for a martingale.

However, Rigsby is a bit dippy backed with no muscle (he has just had months of box rest) so we are still only doing up to 15 minutes of walk, with a lot of rests.

Luckily for Rigsby, I have lost another 4lbs of weight myself in the 3 weeks I have had him. I will lose a bit more for him, and hopefully he will also muscle up, and... in the end we may look like we match! His saddle is a 17.5 and I think a 17 would be a bit more appropriate, but it is the saddle he is used to so I won't be hasty with new saddles until we work out if Rigsby will be fit to be a riding horse or not. I only plan to wander the lanes and for him to be a companion. I guess it would be nice if he schooled up enough to do a prelim test locally, but it is not expected.

A nice week for Rigsby, I hope. He has the physio on Wednesday. I suspect that, after being at one point lame on all 4 legs this summer, there will be something she can work on!

A couple of photos from this afternoon's schooling session.

View attachment 56807View attachment 56808

Your grin says it all :)

Red-1

Visit site
Lucky Rigsby getting the full works!

What does it mean by different musculature from hacking?

Rigsby has not been formally schooled. That is fine, he was perfectly happy like that, has had a fabulous life with his previous owner but... I am a person who enjoys schooling, and although we are only walking, I like them to move with a toned core and in a more convex outline along their back. It is just what I like, and it is an effort for a horse to move from a less formal way and more relaxed of going to going in a more dressage-ey way.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Rigsby has not been formally schooled. That is fine, he was perfectly happy like that, has had a fabulous life with his previous owner but... I am a person who enjoys schooling, and although we are only walking, I like them to move with a toned core and in a more convex outline along their back. It is just what I like, and it is an effort for a horse to move from a less formal way and more relaxed of going to going in a more dressage-ey way.

I'd be interested to hear how you are asking him to do this. I'm clearly not competent really and J is very very green and will happily slop along but I know he needs to use his hind end and not drag himself along by his front end.

Red-1

Visit site
I'd be interested to hear how you are asking him to do this. I'm clearly not competent really and J is very very green and will happily slop along but I know he needs to use his hind end and not drag himself along by his front end.

It is really something that needs teaching with someone present. There are many, many components. The first is that the horse is basically comfortable. Then the horse knows to go forwards and does so on request and generously. Then the horse has to feel secure with the contact, and know to yield to the contact rather than push into it. Then the horse has to be rewarded for simultaneously going forward whilst relaxing the jaw and yielding to the bit.

I tend to start the bit education on the floor, so I can feel them out. I also start it in a halter rather than bit and bridle. It helps them to realise that there is an 'answer' that will bring a release when pressure is applied.

Red-1

Visit site
Rode Rigsby for the first time since the physio. It is difficult to tell if the physio is effective as, although he went better than ever, he is learning so quickly that he regularly goes better than ever!

He was softer straight off today, no warm up needed for him to remember his lessons. He can now walk a 10m circle. We trotted a solitary circle too. He still hits a brick wall at around 10 minutes, but I have all the time in the world and go particular goal.

I love his endorphin trunk, however the photo has me looking a bit strained as it was a selfie with the phone propped on the fence and you have to give a loud squeal to make it take in audio mode :p

121567869_1489898641202227_8255061110224537314_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
He's stood so square there, I'm quite jealous!
He is a very lucky horse to have found his way to you. But equally the smile in all of your photos on this thread makes me think you've done equally well out of him coming to you, long may it last

I do feel very honoured to be Rigsby's guardian (as I don't think anyone will ever truly 'own' him :p) but I don't think he is out of the woods yet health wise. His feet were never X rayed with the Lami, but I do think there was some rotation by the shape of his feet (farrier concurs) and we will keep it all very light until they have had chance to re-model. I did ask my vet to bring the x ray machine when he came, but it wasn't available and when he saw Rigsby walking on the gravel drive he said he wouldn't bother as he is quite free moving. Not that there wasn't any rotation, but he has tough feet, is happy barefoot, and gradually increasing work whilst remodelling from the farrier (he has stretched at the heel height) will hopefully help it all to settle.

I think the EMS will bite us in spring too, if he ever gets out on grass. You can't see it on the photo, but you can even see the outline of several ribs now, despite the fact he still looks heavy. He really needs to be slim for the EMS, but I am sad that I can't give him more hay.

I saw somewhere on here that someone recommended Angus cactus for cushings too. I will have a look at that, as his levels were high for that too, at 27.5.

But, he is a pleasure. Such a friendly chap. He loves when the saddle appears. The mallenders is well and truly under control (most days no actual scabs and just a few skin creases and dry patches). He has a great, strong (!) character. He is just what I need, and I hope that I am what he needs too.

I just love him for what he is. If he makes a ridden horse then great. If he doesn't, then provided I can keep him sound and comfortable to retire then he is also a FAB companion. If it all fails, then he really wasn't expensive and I will know I have tried. No pressure with this one at all!

Last edited:

seamoth

Visit site
I had the Vet out on Wednesday to test my pony for Cushings for the third time and it came up negative and we decided not to test again I did ask if I could give any herbs and mentioned Angus Castus she said that reserach had been done on this with no beneficial results in fact one had come up as possibly more likely to cause lammi. Thought I would mention as I was surprised at this.

ycbm

Visit site
I think agnus castus is of more help with mares. It's known that mares get laminitis more easily than geldings and a little mare that I had on agnus castus for raging seasons got lami when her loan home let it run out.

I feel for you managing a good doer/EMS type. My mare is choosing to starve for 6 to 8 hours a night rather than eat Top Chop Zero. I'm supplementing aloe vera and hoping to heavens her choice doesn't result in ulcers but it's that or laminitis!

Red-1

Visit site
OMG, he put us through the mill today. He went lame! On the good front foot. Farrier came straight out and says it is an abscess, so it is now hot tubbing and poulticing.

An abscess is kind of expected with a horse of his history and pathology, but it is a shock as, in all my years, I have never had one before.

If it does not come out when the farrier returns on Tuesday, or if he looks uncomfortable on the other foot as well, then the vet will come and X ray. But he has had no access to grass, only 10 minutes ridden on the school, no change in management, so hopefully it isn't more lami. He is rather slim too, you can actually see some ribs.

ycbm

Visit site
Oh stuff. I'll hope for pus quickly. The Cushings score might have a lot to do with it?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had the Vet out on Wednesday to test my pony for Cushings for the third time and it came up negative and we decided not to test again I did ask if I could give any herbs and mentioned Angus Castus she said that reserach had been done on this with no beneficial results in fact one had come up as possibly more likely to cause lammi. Thought I would mention as I was surprised at this.

If there are any suspicious symptoms, I would ask for the TRH stim test. We had a mare who had successive low ACTH scores but absolutely sky high TRH level.