I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If there are any suspicious symptoms, I would ask for the TRH stim test. We had a mare who had successive low ACTH scores but absolutely sky high TRH level.

His ACTH was 27.5 earlier this summer, so not low, just not quite cushings at that time. The old owner says he did have an abscess once before, some years ago. That time it took 3 of them to get a poultice on, today he was simply a good boy, so obviously he has grown up a bit!

Just done him for the night, poultice still in place.

Red-1

Visit site
Well that was most peculiar. He was fine on the Friday, a little lame Saturday morning, quite lame for the farrier in the afternoon, poulticed and a lot better on Sunday, more or less sound on Monday and completely sound Tuesday and forwards.

He has a little bump on his heel that looks like an abscess, but despite poulticing it has simply started to go down.

No matter, he is sound and happy, and a bit squeaky and indignant not to be working. Giving him some more time off, just in case, but he really is rock crunching again, even over stones.

Dodged a bullet as the farrier was going to shoe in pads and I would rather be able to keep him comfortable barefoot so I have early warning of any problems.

I have put him on a better couple of supplements, and really happy to see him happy. 122025641_392533985484696_992831320201046536_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Some comedy moments today.

Decided to see if Rigsby would long rein as I didn't want to ride yet even though he is sound (walking exercise being better than walking with added weight for potentially damaged feet) yet he is better to have some exercise for his EMS.

Luckily, decided to lunge in walk first as I don't quite trust this back feet yet after he threw them at me the time I didn't bring hay quickly enough
1f633.png
. Let's just say that these are the better moments
1f602.png
initially when Rigsby didn't want to lunge he just came straight at me.

We got it together at the end though. Only did 10 minutes in total, I'll see how his feet manage with that before doing any more. He does look really well, and looked totally sound even when he had an illicit trot.

Not sure if he is 'not good' at lungeing, or otherwise he is 'VERY good' at lungeing -his way that is
1f602.png
1f602.png

122684442_10218853919563031_1924859899024513856_n.jpg122753211_10218853919803037_978060736528773237_n.jpg

paddy555

Visit site
His ACTH was 27.5 earlier this summer, so not low, just not quite cushings at that time. .

Don't want to put a downer on things but the ACTH test is not the most accurate. Mine tested at 17. I was not satisfied and retested a week later and it was 11. He had full blown cushings and was close to being PTS. One of his symptoms was abscesses. Another laminitis. Mine went straight onto prascend. PAS's advice in post 180 is very good.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Don't want to put a downer on things but the ACTH test is not the most accurate. Mine tested at 17. I was not satisfied and retested a week later and it was 11. He had full blown cushings and was close to being PTS. One of his symptoms was abscesses. Another laminitis. Mine went straight onto prascend. PAS's advice in post 180 is very good.

I have had similar - pony with very obvious symptoms tested borderline 29 I think on ACTH. I asked for TRH test as was sure she did have Cushings and that one came back in the high 300s. I now wouldn't accept ACTH as giving a "no" and would definitely opt for TRH if I did suspect Cushings.

Edit to add - he is getting more and more gorgeous :)

Red-1

Visit site
With regards the cushings, the vets advice (I spoke to his vet who was treating until I bought him and re-confirmed the plan with my own vet once he was here) was to re-test for cushings in the spring. They were not overly worried about the cushings. The previous vet told me the horse was really fat when he got lami because his old owner was caught out by other issues combined with the horse was put onto a large field 24/7 grazing due to lockdown. Until then he had been problem free, rock crunching barefoot even for 4 hours out riding.

He is now slim, in work, off grass and so the vet said to leave it until next year and re-test. Until Saturday, he has been rock crunching with his bare feet here too, and he is again now. I will certainly ask about the alternative test in spring.

I am not sure what on earth happened last weekend. Mr Red did find some new scrape marks up the wall in the stable, plus squashed poos, and a chip in a hoof, so it would appear he was cast. I wonder if he was just bruised, as the 'abscess' has never popped, but he was only properly lame for 24 hours, a little 'off' for another 24, and sound since.

I cut his feed back again this week to 9kg of soaked hay and a trug of straw, just in case and because work stopped, but am increasing the hay once more as he had 7 ribs visible by Friday. I like 4 ribs visible, think 7 is too many especially with his winter coat.

I was going to clip this holiday, but after the setback I think I will clip at Xmas and he can be naked until then. His coat is gorgeous, can't get it to show so well on photos, it has deep dapples and a glorious shine. Not silly-thick either. The clipping was just because of sweaty armpits when ridden or, if in the stable, and the sun came out.

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
So are you! Slim, not shiny :)

Why, thank you.

I put on a load of weight at around 47yrs onwards, was quite ill too. Found vitamin D (my blood result initially had too little in to even get a result!) and started to have more energy and lose weight.

I got my last horse at around 13 1/2 stone and said I wouldn't jump her until I was below 12 1/2 stone. Made that weight, but aimed at 12... made that weight and right down to 11 st 5 lbs where I stayed for ages as that was 'her' weight where we both looked good together.

Lockdown made me go up a bit, started the Noom diet, made it right down to 11st and got Rigsby. Thought I looked a bit big on him still, so have dieted again, only 1 more lb to go to be 10 1/2.

Forget faddy diets, just get a small horse and shrink to fit :p

Asha

Visit site
Just catching up with this thread , can’t believe I missed it . He reminds me of a pony we had a few years back . He was called Perky and lived up to his name with the ladies .
Hope you have many happy years with him . Love his shiny coat and impressive tail , is there a bit of fell in him ?

cauda equina

Visit site
Why, thank you.

I put on a load of weight at around 47yrs onwards, was quite ill too. Found vitamin D (my blood result initially had too little in to even get a result!) and started to have more energy and lose weight.

I got my last horse at around 13 1/2 stone and said I wouldn't jump her until I was below 12 1/2 stone. Made that weight, but aimed at 12... made that weight and right down to 11 st 5 lbs where I stayed for ages as that was 'her' weight where we both looked good together.

Lockdown made me go up a bit, started the Noom diet, made it right down to 11st and got Rigsby. Thought I looked a bit big on him still, so have dieted again, only 1 more lb to go to be 10 1/2.

I bought a little 3 year old, got him home and thought God, he's tiny! and stuck a photo of him on my fridge as my thinspiration
Now lost nearly 2 stone and feel fine on him (the 2 stone goes back on with hat boots saddle etc :( )

Red-1

Visit site
Just catching up with this thread , can’t believe I missed it . He reminds me of a pony we had a few years back . He was called Perky and lived up to his name with the ladies .
Hope you have many happy years with him . Love his shiny coat and impressive tail , is there a bit of fell in him ?

There is no breeding in his passport at all. It is a very brief passport.

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby has remained sound, but I want to be cautious after the 2 lame days last week, so I haven't ridden since. I did a couple of 'lunge' sessions (supposedly at walk) as I wanted to progress to ground driving and Rigsby needed to make some connections before I would station myself behind him.

Oh, and yesterday I went back to hand walking on the road, all OK :D Rock crunching, in fact.

Today was the day he felt ready for 2 reins, 10 minutes at walk. He was initially confused, but he was great, really tried to work it out.

Good Rigsby!

Clipping legs is still a work in progress, but we had a bit of time on that too. Little bits sized chunks, that is the way to train him I think.
122881752_667018720665073_83844882304804778_n.jpg122857767_359198748839438_6651913694686256277_n.jpg

Last edited:

palo1

Visit site
Why, thank you.

Rigsby looks wonderful but I am boggled by how successful your weight loss has been!! I am 'stuck' at a weight that is technically ok but I would do almost anything to get between 11 & 11.5 stone!! Well done - you look lovely; youthful, slim and athletic - I was surprised to read your approx age. Perhaps this is the inspiration I need :) :)

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby looks wonderful but I am boggled by how successful your weight loss has been!! I am 'stuck' at a weight that is technically ok but I would do almost anything to get between 11 & 11.5 stone!! Well done - you look lovely; youthful, slim and athletic - I was surprised to read your approx age. Perhaps this is the inspiration I need :):)

I have been losing weight for a while but was stuck until I signed up to Noom. I did a thread about it. I do think it is better when I have a little horse to want to suit tho.

BTW, I am 53. I still feel the same as I did when I was 23, but am a bit slower to get moving in the morningQ

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
Gorgeous Rigsby. He gets a rubber curry comb massage every morning and his coat gleams. I can't brush it too much as he isn't rugged so needs to be waterproof, but his dapples are really deep.

I always thought of dapples as being a coat colour, but you can see them in texture on him.
I was wise and walked him out before 8am, before the rain.

Rigsby is such a character. Early on, he climbed the wheelbarrow at nighttime stables, when he simply couldn't wait for his net while I mucked out. Of course, being a cob, he was fine and uninjured, but we did have to go find him in the dark. So, we spent £25 on a chain to hold him back whilst removing evening droppings.

That lasted a couple of weeks, whereupon he found that if he stuck his head under and rubbed a certain way, he could unclick the chain. 2 nights ago he did just that, and climbed the barrow again! He is totally unhurt and unpurturbed, merely very pleased with himself for going and finding the hay quicker (after a browse for plants).

Mr Red gets so cross with him, but it makes me laugh so hard that Rigsby is such an opportunistic optimist. Mr Red being mad at him makes me laugh harder, which makes Mr Red madder. Such is life with a Maxi-Shetland, terrier-mentality, tank of a horse! Last night he was back to being removed and tied in the grooming parlour whilst we did late stables.

Oh, I walked him out this morning in high winds. All he was bothered about was the leaves on the floor, which looked good enough to eat! With a tail that thick, the wind didn't get under it.

123137686_10218908398244964_7609715567148606975_n.jpg123311076_10218908399084985_2160815299027948488_n.jpg123145550_10218908409365242_5395372321810986009_n.jpg

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
*Whispers* Mr Red saw those dapple photos on FB, and I actually heard him say that Rigsby is quite handsome yesterday. I was astonished.

Then, last night someone let two huge fireworks off (or a shotgun, who knows?) nearby, and Rigsby was decidedly nervous. Mr Red even left the RUGBY to see if he was OK. Rigsby attached himself to Mr Red for comfort. Well played, Rigsby, well played.

I mean, he isn't fit to actually do any work, but he is certainly an asset in our family.

I am being really strict with myself about rugs. My last horse liked to be warm, well rugged at the first drop in temperature. Rigsby is still naked, not least as a dieting aid. I do like grooming, so if it gets cold as well as wet he may need a sheet.

It was so sad to hear of the new national lockdown last night, but I am also even more grateful for a Rigsby in my life. No pressure to school or do much at all, after the 2 days of lameness scare the other week I stopped riding anyway and have just done walk work on long lines on a surface (YES, that was a new skill, proper ground driving, and he was even OK when I tried to take a photo and dropped the rope, so he got his leg caught in it). He is barefoot too, so we don't have to worry about the farrier, I have started to shape them myself. I have done 2 walks on the road, tried to take a video for foot fall landing but sadly the phone was propped at an angle and we only got his legs from the pasterns up :rolleyes:.

If we stay walking until Xmas (progressing to ridden on a surface when I feel it is right), hopefully after Xmas we can progress a bit more, but no worries if he is simply a pet. I am driven to get up early to go see to him, and am smiling (nearly) all of the time.

I had a lot of resistance to me buying a sick note horse, who was registered as a rig, but he has been a blessing.
123141628_2689338547996495_2985252906579790542_n.jpg

Last edited: