I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
So, I bought WBF some farrier's chaps, a left handed hoof knife (he is right handed but says a left and right handed one will mean he is always cutting away from the horse - good point) and some Mountain Horse protective yard boots. He has... only gone and made me a hoof stand.

Used it on BH yesterday. WBF is using it for Rigs this weekend.

It is a thing of beauty.

Yesterday, trimming was effortless! No bad back.
426302952_10225870558014607_9003649555448558905_n.jpg

That_midgit_equestrian

Visit site
After a torrid 2 years of stress (not horse related) I have sold the posh competition horse and bought my first cob!

Introducing Rigsby!

View attachment 55359View attachment 55360View attachment 55361

Fetched him yesterday - before anyone has a fit, I was NOT grazing him on the lawn, I was walking him to his field, where he wears a muzzle, he only had half an hour, and we are scalping it when we have bought diesel this morning. He was like a terrier in a maxi Shetland body on the way and made me feel like a hapless 10 year old as he grabbed a mouthful!!!

Rigsby is 15 years old, he was owned by wonderful, caring people who had to sell him due to personal issues. He has EMS and has just recovered from mild lami (which caught them by surprise and was caught extremely early) and is ready to start coming back into work.

Rigsby is admirably slim right now (his sticky out bits actually stick out!), and his owners have given me feeding instructions, which I will follow. But, I wondered what else I can do. He is on soaked hay, 8kg a day unless he has time at grass ( up to 3 hours with a muzzle) when the hay is reduced. He has just a single handful of chop when he comes in, which I will continue as he comes to call because of it! Once he is back in work he will be able to eat a bit more bulk, which will please him greatly, I think.

Also, he has his legs clipped to keep scabs under control (which they are) but I would love to try to grow his feather. His old owners tried all sorts, including the mite injection, but his scabs are persistent. They are controlled by a good scratch every morning, so it may be that he needs to stay shaved.

I must confess, I don't feel like I own Rigsby, I feel like he now owns us!

My plans are to get him back to daily hacking, which is the only thing he has ever done so far. I am stressed and busy right now, and having a furry pal to walk the lanes is just the ticket. He has obviously been very well cared for, he is confident and friendly.
He’s absolutely lovely for his legs you HAVE to keep on top of them because if you let them get out of control it’s a right pain being able to get anywhere near them, I’d recommend aqueous cream (which is like a pound in the pound shop) and mite powder (Which if you can’t get near his legs you can put it in his feed also I’d recommend putting it in his bed) applied every day and I personally don’t think the mite injections work mines had them twice with no impact for the feathers I’d take them off so his legs are manageable but however if you do want to keep them on you could just have feather below where it’s affected but for winter definelty would recommend taking them off so there’s not to much mud and stuff and easy to rinse off

Red-1

Visit site
Rigs had a treat today. The grandchildren were visiting my builder, so they came over for a ride. He hadn't been ridden for months, so I'd prepped him with a hack out earlier this week. He was in full working order and hugely enjoyed his hacking, so I reckoned he was good to go for a pony ride or two.

Rigs liked the fuss and attention. Two teenagers had a lovely ride. I do have loads of photos, but here are two with no faces in!

Due to a lack of actual riding clothes, it was just a walk round with the lunge rope, but everyone had a good time in the unseasonably sunny weather.

Rigs is a champ!

429041647_1085730029242270_2920621016358862563_n.jpg426978218_1126115571721614_8306312928410071029_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site

Red-1

Visit site
A little Rigs update...

Rigs has been in top form. Done some ride and lead,

434727757_10226094260207022_1402949302540758657_n.jpg

and he had some friends look after him while I went away with my partner. Yes, serious now, partner rather than new boyfriend 💞

We had a fab holiday,

434126774_1090218658706018_9021381091139717257_n.jpg

and Rigs was thoroughly spoiled. He had 4 nets a day so my friends did 8am and 4pm, and my builder, who is Rigs' latest and biggest fan, did a midday and 8pm net. He loves Rigsby. He gets an apple a day from him and a fuss. I taught him to tie a hay net up (he's not had contact with horses before) and it is touching how much they like each other.

We have a longer, long haul holiday booked now and because it is for 3 weeks, Rigs will be joining BH in the posh show jumper yard.

My partner trimmed Rigs again last night. I don't usually do much with frogs but Rigs had started shedding them and it worried my friend while I was away as they did look a little ragged. This is his third time trimming a horse, with the hoof stand he made, using rasp and knife. In fact, he has 2 knives: he asked for left handed and right handed ones so he could be cutting away from the horse.

435921020_390725090587948_4152943541876014639_n.jpg

My partner also had a horse handling lesson from Joe Midgely. Money well spent as he is a lot more confident that he knows how horses work! My partner has also installed a solar panel for the electric fencing, we'll see if it keeps the battery topped up. If so, we will have 2 more.

teacups

Visit site
What a fabulous update! Well done for finding horse care and getting away with new partner, and finding such a great builder too <g>

AandK

Visit site
I had wondered recently how you were doing Red-1 as you had not posted for a while, I had hoped it was for good reasons and it was! So pleased to see such a lovely update from you. Loved reading about Rigs and the builder!

Red-1

Visit site
I had wondered recently how you were doing Red-1 as you had not posted for a while, I had hoped it was for good reasons and it was! So pleased to see such a lovely update from you. Loved reading about Rigs and the builder!
In all honesty, I haven't had time to be on HHO as much!

Much as I would not have wanted what happened to happen, I am amazed at how I am recovering and bouncing back to create a new life. I have lost friendships, sadly. One person said that they are taken aback every time they see a post or photo of me with my new partner, as it isn't my husband. I am having to think my way round that one!

The builder is having his first lesson in headcollar and grooming this lunchtime!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Much as I would not have wanted what happened to happen, I am amazed at how I am recovering and bouncing back to create a new life. I have lost friendships, sadly. One person said that they are taken aback every time they see a post or photo of me with my new partner, as it isn't my husband. I am having to think my way round that one!

The builder is having his first lesson in headcollar and grooming this lunchtime!
Aren't some people weird? I would hope that person is pleased for you that you are not stuck at home feeling lonely. Lovely photos!

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site

Perhaps the person has never lost anyone close?

I once gave a friend who had lost her husband the previous year, some condoms as a side present at Christmas. She claims it was the best present anyone could have given her, as it told her that her friends would not judge her for finding someone else to be happy with.