I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Some magnesium oxide can be contaminated with iron but you can get low iron magnesium oxide. ForagePlus source the low iron stuff. I think Red Horse Products might have something aling those lines too.

Personally I would have hay analysed for mineral profile and top up accordingly if hay is from a consistent source. Simply because that has worked really well for my own horses thus far.

Thank you, will get some on order. YCBM has also been very helpful :)

Today's walk out with the newly softened hoof boots went well. Had the boots on for about 1/3 of the ride, again just a little ruffled hair, no major issues. I was bright enough to use a rucksack to carry the boots once I pulled them too. He loves his walks out, hopefully, once the boots are worn in, they will be rides out. There were loads of walkers and they all stopped to admire the black beast with his wavy mane and proud demeanour.

Red-1

Visit site
Schooled Rigsby, he went well, but that's not important right now.

Because, I found a Rigsby mark 2!!!

On Preloved, the same as Rigsby was!

Same area!!

Same part Fresian breeding!!

Only this one isn't a sick note, is a year younger, is good in traffic and is EVEN MORE handsome!!

15hh-friesian-x-fell-gelding.html

If I didn't think Mr Red would divorce me if I had a matching pair, I would... have a matching pair!!!

Red-1

Visit site
What if you bought the second one for MrRed as a pressie? Can't be cross then.
Dooo it! Dooo it! Dooo it! :D

I just got a message from Rigsby's previous owner. This one is on the same yard! They look so similar that they were often confused for each other.

I really think someone needs to buy Rigsby's doppelgänger.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I just got a message from Rigsby's previous owner. This one is on the same yard! They look so similar that they were often confused for each other.

I really think someone needs to buy Rigsby's doppelgänger.
I’m looking forward to your update about the arrival of Not-Rigsby in a few days ;).

Red-1

Visit site
Nooo, I think that SOMEONE needs to buy him. I am looking, but would want one to do some competitions, when I have drawn breath from sorting out the legalities from mum's death.

I keep flitting to the advert, but no, long term I would like one that can compete affiliated, and I think this one is not a match for that.

Lovely horse though, and when I saw the advert I was sorely tempted!

I thought that people here seem to like Riggers, and this one is VERY similar, but without the sick note tag. Surely someone would like a Fesian X Fell, good in traffic?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Nooo, I think that SOMEONE needs to buy him. I am looking, but would want one to do some competitions, when I have drawn breath from sorting out the legalities from mum's death.

I keep flitting to the advert, but no, long term I would like one that can compete affiliated, and I think this one is not a match for that.

Lovely horse though, and when I saw the advert I was sorely tempted!

I thought that people here seem to like Riggers, and this one is VERY similar, but without the sick note tag. Surely someone would like a Fesian X Fell, good in traffic?

But they could be a competitive driving pair ??‍♀️??‍♀️

Red-1

Visit site
What is Riggers II's official name?

I have no idea. Besides, Rigsby is NOW Rigsby's official passport name, it was not that before, I changed it. I changed it once I realised his passport said he was a rig - it had to be! I even paid for the privilege of changing his name. Makes me smile every time I say it - but only because the blood test my vet did says he is NOT actually a rig!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I have no idea. Besides, Rigsby is NOW Rigsby's official passport name, it was not that before, I changed it. I changed it once I realised his passport said he was a rig - it had to be! I even paid for the privilege of changing his name. Makes me smile every time I say it - but only because the blood test my vet did says he is NOT actually a rig!

I was hoping it would be something that matched Rigsby as a further sign he needs to be yours, a la Bog and Bear ?

Red-1

Visit site
The vet has just left after the first of four appointments. Rigsby was generally very good.

First blood test taken, for the resting level for his cushings.
Syrup delivered ready for his fasting/sugar challenge test next week, for his metabolic problem. First vaccination done.
Teeth done, they were still in good order, no sedative necessary.
Worm count sample taken.

Coronets were examined, she agrees that all 4 are inflamed. She would have liked to give him a steroid injection as she agrees it is an immune/systemic type response, sadly, because if his other issues, he can't have steroidal injections, so she has left a topical steroidal cream for occasional use in case of bad flare ups and other than that, we are simply being watchful. To be honest, if he wasn't clipped, we would be none the wiser.

He was trotted up both on the road and on the school, he is sound but the vet agrees that he is more confident on the soft. His feet took so good, and she thought he moved so well, that she doesn't think an X ray would be particularly helpful at this stage, other than for curiosity to see how rotated his pedal bones are/were, but being as the Xrays would involve a sedative, which would strain his system, we are simply being watchful on that one as well.

His heart was good
1f642.png

His lungs were good, no cracking or wheezing from his COPD. He was cough free when his environment was really carefully controlled, but he was also showing signs of ulcers from being starved for his metabolic issues, so, in the past few weeks, was given straw to fill his tummy with little feed value. Straw can't be soaked, and the dry straw has given him a slight cough. The vet agrees with me that it is a trade off between being hungry all the time and having clear lungs - V - feeling satisfied and having a bit of a cough, and, at present, it is better that he cough a bit and feel happier. I am happy that his lungs are having a cough without being badly compromised.

Weight... You can see 5 ribs. She says his weight is OK, but on the higher side for what is best for him with his issues. So, he is dieting again
1f644.png
as she wants him slimmer for spring if he is deemed fit enough metabolically to ever eat grass again. This is another trade off. Looking better, but only eating food that has been soaked to strip sugar out whilst turned out on an artificial surface - V - (if he passes his blood tests) being skinnier but able to be more like a horse and do some grazing in a field - even though that will be for limited time, in a limited area, with a muzzle on
1f644.png

Poor Rigsby!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Are you feeding long straw or straw chaff? I didn't notice that Honeychop plain oat straw chaff was dusty in any way. I fed 2 bags per week at one point, when I she really needed to lose the weight.

ETA, of course you need a matching pair

Red-1

Visit site
Are you feeding long straw or straw chaff? I didn't notice that Honeychop plain oat straw chaff was dusty in any way. I fed 2 bags per week at one point, when I she really needed to lose the weight.

I tried straw chaff, in four feeds, but he wolfes it down like a hard feed so it doesn't really work as a tummy filler as it is gone in 2 minutes! The long straw in a net is less attractive, he doesn't eat all I give him through the day or evening, it only completely goes through the night and even then there is occasionally a little left. Happy horse.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We gave big trugs full, her hay was split into at least 3 servings (in at night/out in the day) she always ate the hay in preference to the chaff and then she wasn't so hungry that she felt the need to inhale the chaff. You were feeding TopChop Zero, weren't you? I would try a different chaff. I have heard before that TCZ is yummy and encourages over-eating.

Red-1

Visit site

Red-1

Visit site

I have bought some totally plain chop, will try that, but think that anything in a bucket will be inhaled!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I believe it is more to do with it potentially drying out again as the straw holds more spores, so the vet says.

Does the fact that it has been wet then dried out make the spores worse or just back to how they would be pre wetting? I know J, with equine asthma/COPD, can't tolerate soaked hay as even with his ability to eat the spores have dried enough to shrink enough to get into his airways.

He is on limited high fibre or Timothy haylage but he gets a trug of well damped top chop zero, which he'll pick at. He's funny in that he dislikes very wet chop of any type so it's a good way to slow him down.

Red-1

Visit site
Does the fact that it has been wet then dried out make the spores worse or just back to how they would be pre wetting? I know J, with equine asthma/COPD, can't tolerate soaked hay as even with his ability to eat the spores have dried enough to shrink enough to get into his airways.

He is on limited high fibre or Timothy haylage but he gets a trug of well damped top chop zero, which he'll pick at. He's funny in that he dislikes very wet chop of any type so it's a good way to slow him down.

Don't know, the vet just said to soak the hay but don't soak the straw.