I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Rigsby's first blood test has come back, for cushings.

Last year his resting reading was 27.5 where 29 and over is a definite positive, 19 to 28 is a grey area/ borderline - so he was a high borderline with loads of other indicators.

This year his levels have fallen to 14.1, so, absolutely negative!

The plan had been to also do the STIM test in 4 weeks, but the vet thinks that this won't be necessary. We will do the starvation/caro sugar EMS test next week and review the results for that first, before making a final decision.

He does have silky, appropriate hair, that is shedding like mad. His lami was also explained by the fact that he was obese at the time. So, it is possible that cushings isn't an issue after all. The vet said that, as he was tested whilst in the midst of a lami attack, the results could have been skewed to a higher level because of pain. His weight is appropriate to his diet too.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Rigsby's first blood test has come back, for cushings.

Last year his resting reading was 27.5 where 29 and over is a definite positive, 19 to 28 is a great area/ borderline - so he was a high borderline with loads of other indicators.

This year his levels have fallen to 14.1, so, absolutely negative!

The plan had been to also do the STIM test in 4 weeks, but the vet thinks that this won't be necessary. We will do the starvation/caro sugar EMS test next week and review the results for that first, before making a final decision.

He does have silky, appropriate hair, that is shedding like mad. His lami was also explained by the fact that he was obese at the time. So, it is possible that cushings isn't an issue after all. The vet said that, as he was tested whilst in the midst of a lami attack, the results could have been skewed to a higher level because of pain. His weight is appropriate to his diet too.

That all sounds good!

Red-1

Visit site
Oh, and the vet bill so far is remarkably reasonable at £240. Reasonable to say she examined so much, including trot ups on the road, did his teeth, blood draw, vaccination, worm count, steroid cream etc. She was here for about and hour and a half too.

Oh, Oh, and the saddle he came with has sold, which will pay for the vets bill. Extraordinary that Jay's dressage saddle will do him!

Red-1

Visit site
Even better news, vet just emailed back. Worm count is a fat zero too.

I started worm counting back in 1998, when we moved here. At the time, the vet thought I was strange, as it as 'easier' to just worm... But wormers aren't good for them, so I was an independent soul and insisted.

Since living here, every single horse has returned a zero. I think it is because I worm when they arrive and then am so pernickety about droppings. They barely hit the floor before being picked up! So, cycle of infection is broken. I believe if the count is under 200 per gram, you are advised not to worm, but a big fat zero is nice!

I usually worm just once a year, a tapeworm at Xmas (that does also target other worms).

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby had the day of his vaccination off, a walk in-hand round the village yesterday, so today was a schooling day.

After looking at the nice photos and seeing just how far Rigsby steps outside the 'frame' I set for him laterally (i.e. he goes out through his shoulder and is difficult to steer) I decided that today's lesson of the day was lateral control. It is still a bit close to his vaccination to work him all-out (even though his work is limited at best!) so most of it today was in walk.

We started with a couple of laps walking large, just reminding him that he has to be in front of my leg and is responsible for his own motivation. From not wanting to go on the outer track, Rigsby now likes to 'lean' on the fence - not physically, he just goes too close to it and has now occasionally caught my foot on the fence. So, today we walked on the inner track. He found that mentally tough! I had to have the schooling whip on the outside, as he would make me start to grip and kick to keep him straight, but that is not my job. His job is to hold himself, so I asked nicely with the outside leg to be straight and if he walked 'through' the aid, he had a flick.

At one time, if I flicked Rigsby with the stick, he would take offence. Now he knows it is not a 'punishment' as such, it is a signal, he is a lot more productive with it. He was amazing. Stepped back in line and kept his motivation... until we changed to the left rein. He was good to steer on the left, but his motivation is always more lacking here. So, we changed to ride the inner track that I wanted, but did a much shallower corner, in case his reluctance is because he finds the deeper corners either unbearingly taxing or painful.

That was a worthwhile exercise.

We then took the straightness to the centre line and even to the rein back. He tends to rein back crooked, curls round. As he now seems to understand the flick of a stick, I asked straight, when he curled I used the leg on the side he was curling to, to make that leg take a longer stride, which would have the effect of straightening it. He is still an 'into pressure' animal where lateral work is concerned, if he doesn't understand, it is a nerves thing, I think, reverting to baby behaviour, which is into pressure. This time, I did all that, and when he curled more into my leg, I flicked. The flick is superior as it is not possible to 'lean into' a pressure that is gone as soon as it is applied. He no longer finds a stick offensive, so..... yay, he understood and straightened up!

Celery celebrations were abounding anyway, one for his girth, one for having a pee (yep :rolleyes:), one for mounting, one for his initial good walk etc etc etc, but this was an extra special celery celebration!

Riding the inner track at walk naturally leant itself to leg yielding. Currently, he starts by leaning into the leg, but after a flick got the idea there too.

We did finish with a little trot, after a suitable celery break. His right rein was fabulous. We did less than one 25m circle before we celerybrated, and he went on to be rhythmic, forward, listening, off the leg, into the hand and... placed where I wanted him. As trot is a bit of a challenge to him still, we did the outer track on the straight sides but a really long and shallow corner at the ends.

Left rein was, predictably, not as good. He lacks motivation, he is somewhat dead in the mouth compared to the right, he kind of holds against rather than seeking forwards. But, he is sound, he is willing to work at it, so we did some. As his mouth was dead (in comparison) we did some transitions. He did then drop into an outline, because he knew it was kind of what I wanted and it *may* stop me nagging, but it was a false one, where he was making a pretty shape but was not really into the rein. But, all things are in the right direction as he was a lot better on the steering!

Good old Rigsby!

Red-1

Visit site
Mothers day. My first without mum. I have not even processed the fact that she is gone yet, not even dealt with the formalities, so it is tricky.

Mum would not have wanted me to sit around and mope, so I was up early and took Rigsby for his first little ride with his new trainers. We did half the ride then I dismounted, pulled the boots and walked home. The ridden portion will increase over the next few rides.

This was the purpose of buying Rigsby. He was a good purchase!

160688587_10220058407274471_4075925744573243665_n.jpg
160394913_10220058408474501_4249807794086057524_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Every day a schoolday - well every other day, but you know what I mean.

Today, as usual, I had no idea what we would be working on when we went onto the school. He was good to tack up and mount. Good to get into a forward, rhythmic walk. We did some tighter turns, picked spots on the arena and walked round them, like a fig 8. I am talking small circles and turns, but not many at a time, then walking large. The intention was to soften up the left rein, consolidate the lateral control (so no drifting in or out), be able to hand him from one bend to the other, and to keep the rhythmic walk and not quit because it is difficult.

It was all OK, better than it has been, celerybrations all round.

On to trot. Nooo, soggy, reluctant left rein was there. The steering was a LOT better, but I hate that awful feeling in the left rein. It was there the very first time I rode him, to be fair, the first time, I tried to use the left rein and he nearly oiked me clean out of the saddle, so I guess we have made progress.

What to do to help him soften up... I decided on transitions, being as it only happens in trot. So, into trot on the left rein, horrid feeling, halt, or even rein back, whatever I had to do to lose the blocky feeling and then back to trot.

That changed his feel. Had him more using his bum and less front heavy. but the left rein remained blocky. The blockyness was bothering me as it was making him, choppy, and he doesn't have to be choppy. I won't accept choppy. Hmmm, I decided to have him almost 'between paces' so I had a slooooow trot. It is hard to be choppy when you are going slooooooow. He has to keep active, as in I like to feel like the saddle is kicking me up the backside because he is active, but slow.

He found that hard.

I had to flick stick, as he would have preferred to walk.

It took a while.

A few rounds/circles of disorientation and confusion, trying many things (all of which were easier than sitting on your bum and remaining active but slow).

Then...

Yes! A few strides.

Just a few strides, but enough for a Good Boy! Woah! Celerybration!

Next time I asked, he did it straight away! I took 5 steps before another Good Boy! Woah! Celerybration!

After that, he knew what I was aiming at and could produce it. He was such a champ. So hard working. We did a few school figures and changes of rein.

Wow.

Totally different feel.

No longer just trotting forwards.

Now saving some energy within the pace.

One day we will be able to harness this extra potential power, for now he is learning to create it and control it in a recycling way, as opposed to being choppy or trotting forwards and flat.

Good lesson.

He then had a wash of his mane/tail and legs. Being as he is a scurfy horse, we do this weekly.

This weekend and today, I am inexplicably suffering allergies. I can barely see, despite taking anti histamines. I think Mr Red hopes I am becoming allergic to Rigsby :eek:

Red-1

Visit site
Hacking in the boots has, sadly, left a little boot rub on the back of Rigsby's pastern. He did schooling yesterday, so I don't want to go on the school today, but I do want him moving his body.

So, I compromised and took him on the short hack barefoot. I don't usually do the short route as it is busy with farm and HGV traffic, with a horrendously deep ditch at the side of you. Needs must, his feet are able to cope with it and we didn't meet anything much anyway. Lovely evening sunshine, me and my horse. :)

Rigsby did the yard gate, mounted, both ways, good boy. Then I got off and, just as an experiment, mounted from the ground for the first time in YEARS. He stood like a rock and I discovered that I can still do it, at last with a 15.1hh horse!

It feel so different when the evening is warm. He has gone to bed all clipped (heels) and brushed within an inch of his life!

Annagain

Visit site
I have no idea if it will work (or be suitable) for Rigsby but a friend of mine who walks some serious distances recommended to me that I spray my feet with the elastoplast spray plaster when I worked in a new pair of walking boots as I do tend to suffer with blisters with new shoes. It did feel very sticky until it dried so I had to leave me feet dangling in mid air but I didn't get any blisters at all - if he'll stand still long enough for it to dry, it might be worth a try?

Red-1

Visit site
I have no idea if it will work (or be suitable) for Rigsby but a friend of mine who walks some serious distances recommended to me that I spray my feet with the elastoplast spray plaster when I worked in a new pair of walking boots as I do tend to suffer with blisters with new shoes. It did feel very sticky until it dried so I had to leave me feet dangling in mid air but I didn't get any blisters at all - if he'll stand still long enough for it to dry, it might be worth a try?

I might try that. Will have to do a test patch first, will order some. Thank you.

Red-1

Visit site
Other, frustrating, stuff was happening today. I had all of half an hour, including tacking up and turning out, for Rigsby's school day, before getting ready for work.

It is do-able, we usually only school for 20 minutes, he was already groomed this morning, but the frustrating stuff also had me stressed.

Anyway, I cut celery, stashed it in my pocket, and 'turned up', to see what Rigsby would teach me today...

Pee'ed for a treat, check. Tried for a second :rolleyes:, no Rigsby, it doesn't work like that :p

Mounted perfect, check.

Walk round school each way, good rhythmic walk, good steering, a few changes of rein, all lessons learned and remembered. Check.

Into trot, a coupe of circuits and changes of rein, just to get forward and open in his stride, Check.

Halt, reorganise, go into newly learned 'little slow trot, with back raised' - wonderful, so did some rein changes and some leg yielding. The leg yielding needed a flick. But, because the other lessons are now learned and no longer need a flik, flicks are surprising and mark something that needs to be learned, so are heard.

TBH, it is like a switch flicking, that he now thinks of a flick as an indicator, where he stays open to consider new information, rather than a punishment, that would shut down his thinking.

We got really good reach both ways - Check Check Check.

Then, first time trying canter from little trot. Correct strike off both ways. His canter's amazing, I mean, green, can't get into the corners... but he does now meet the track, does have a rhythm (3 time too, no tranters any more) and... today... he was in canter long enough to do a new thing.

Rigsby is a high blower. I love high blowers, lovely sound. At present, he hasn't let go enough to do it every stride, but it was a rhythmic every 3 strides. Lovely.

So, I started stresses and harassed. Finished, less than 20 minutes later, with a smile on my face.

Check, check check.

BTW - in Rigsby's world check stands for mission accomplished, but also for celerybration!;)

I should say, I am mind blown by this little horse. He seems to learn really well, maybe because we do small, achievable lessons and stop before he is really tired.

Last edited:

Roxylola

Visit site
Isn't it lovely to have a horse you can get on a bit stressed and they can make that stress go away. No matter how skilled and experienced you are if you're pushed for time especially it can carry over and impact the work, I've had horses I'd have chosen not to ride at all in that circumstance for that reason

Red-1

Visit site
Isn't it lovely to have a horse you can get on a bit stressed and they can make that stress go away. No matter how skilled and experienced you are if you're pushed for time especially it can carry over and impact the work, I've had horses I'd have chosen not to ride at all in that circumstance for that reason

That is why I sold the mare. She was lovely, but I couldn't have had a successful session when frazzled, and I was frazzled pretty much all of the time with the other things in my life. Rigsby is... different. A HUGE, friendly, furry face. He is so up for learning, if it means he gets back to his hay quicker LOL.

Pippity

Visit site

I love that I can throw mine out in a field for three weeks, then hop on bareback and know she's going to be perfectly sensible. She may not be as flashy or attractive as some (most) horses, but that kind of personality is priceless to me.

Red-1

Visit site
Blah, it is starvation/ STIM test today. He has to stop eating at 6.30am to starve. I was up at 3am to serve his hay.

I must love that horse!

He thought 3am hay was a FABULOUS idea and would like to have it every day.

Sadly, I was awake from 1am, in case my alarm didn't get me up. Up for work at 5.30am.

I must really love that horse!

(even though he will hate me when I out him out with no food and leave him...).

Surbie

Visit site
Good luck with hangry Rigsby. I don't envy you that one bit. At least they live in the present so tomorrow is a whole new chapter. And hold on to how delighted he will be when you do appear bearing food.

Red-1

Visit site
I did everything I could to make it less stressful. I know, from 2 previous incidents, that if he gos out to find no net, he has a moment. He squeals, tosses his mane and comes thundering to the gate, squealing all the way. So, just after I posted this, he had to be out for 06.10, with a handful of hay in the net, so he went out with hay, but would defo be finished for 6.30am.

At least it gave me some spare time, which I used to go for a run! 3km in 20 minutes. Good for me, anyway.

Got home at lunchtime, and he was OK. Whinnied, but not desperate. Then, I fetched him in and the bare stable was not welcome. Syringing sugar syrup into him was OK for him, a bit scowl-ey to start, but then he realised it tasted nice.

Back out, he went to the shed to find it was bare, he had a moment, he told me off, he is cross. I am hiding in the house until the vet gets here.

Red-1

Visit site
All done! The vet was amazing, we spoke on the phone when she was 5 minutes away, so I could unlock and grab him, and she followed him up the driveway in the van. Quick blood sample as soon as he landed in the grooming parlour and he was on his net!

Phew!

I let him have half an hour to refuel, then wanted to ride him to soak up some of the sugar. We did the village ride, boots on for the first half. Happily, as I had successfully mounted on the drive the other day, I could then pull the boots, remount, and ride the whole thing.

He was a bit sugar-rush-ridden, but in a good way. he was perky, comedic, interested, and a lot faster than usual! I even gave him his first trot on grass, as we were being chased by the coal wagon! He was great.

He is back out now for the rest of his net.

Red-1

Visit site
Yesterday was a school day, but I was also getting my Covid vaccine, so I had to get my a$$ in gear and ride before work (just in case I wasn't going to be fit afterwards)! 6.34am and I was in the saddle, needed to be finished, turned out, out away and done for 7am so I cold also muck out. That led to me being a disappointment to Rigsby...

Mounting, good, walking, superb. I usually ride when he has been turned out, but today was straight from the stable and he needs a bit more walking to warm up in that circumstance, not good when you also have to be done and dusted soon as.

I decided to work on walking on the inner track. The steering to do this has improved along with his ability to self motivate his motor in his a$$. The vroom comes forward, lands in the hand, steering is then easily directable more or less on a thought. However, on the left rein, the vroom is still not quite automatic, and when the vroom doesn't come from behind, the steering feels more like trying to push wet spaghetti uphill. The shoulder goes one way, the head goes the other, the steering is wobbly.

We did some rein changes, working on getting both reins to feel direct-able whilst remaining on the inner track. At this point Rigsby was enjoying himself, to my delight, his fluttery nostrils have extended to the walk. I love that sound. All was good.

Then, trot. He went forwards, but the soggy/dead feel on his mouth was back. I did a few circuits on getting him to go forwards. This is where I disappointed Rigsby.

Rigsby is willing, loves to learn, loves to be a "Good Boy" and loves his celerybrations. Because I was in a rush to get some WORK into him, I lost sight of our togetherness. I started to do stuff TO him rather than WITH him.

It may look the same, but it feels very different, and Rigsby knows the difference.

He stopped with the happy nostrils. He did what I asked for, but there was not the joyful feeling.

Happily, I also know the difference. So, I stopped what I was doing.

I decided that, after the sugar overload the day before, I DID want to get some work into him. But, if that was my objective, within a too tight time frame, I needed to stop being so dictatorial. So, we had a jolly good canter round. I mean, I had no reins to speak of, I just popped him into canter and we weeeeent.

A bit motorbikey. I felt like d'Artagnan, mane a'flying, legs a'thundering. No science behind it.

2 laps each way, and a 25m circle. The longest canter we have had. Then celerybration, dismount, "good boy" and all was well in his world.

So, the schooling session could have gone south, but, although we had a moment when all was not well, it was small and finished well.

My Covid vaccine was fine, this morning we have done a hack. Sadly, his boots have rubbed, so we were restricted to 1 mile barefoot. He was in fine fettle. I am disappointed at how small a ride we can do, but it reminds me that I need to go at Rigsby's pace, not mine. After all, I didn't even know if he would make a ridden horse, and he certainly seems to be doing well at that, in many circumstances.

Besides, even a short 1 mile ride out brings me back with a big grin on my face, feeling like a 14 year old kid who has stolen a 7.30am ride out!

Red-1

Visit site
Wow.

Wow.

Wow, Wow, Wow.

Last year Rigsby's insulin levels were 213, where over 30 is EMS positive.

This year.... his levels..... drum roll, because it deserves it.....

Even the vet was laughing!

Soooooo...

This afternoon....

Rigsby is having 15 minutes at grass, with a muzzle!