I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

cauda equina

Visit site
Mine isn't lame but he tends to go on 3 tracks with his off hind not properly underneath him.
I wonder if you could PM me Fiona's contact details please?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine isn't lame but he tends to go on 3 tracks with his off hind not properly underneath him.
I wonder if you could PM me Fiona's contact details please?

Can give a look to her web site. She travels all over. It is the sort of arrangement where she tells you when she can come, and you move heaven and earth to accommodate her time scale LOL.

http://www.fluidmovements.co.uk

She is an exceptional barefoot trimmer too. Can really improve the whole way a horse moves with a trim.

I have had days where I have had a treatment, the horse has had a treatment, and the horse has been trimmed.

Red-1

Visit site
Brill, thank you x

It was knowing how good Fiona is that gave me the confidence to buy Riggers when he was just off box rest...

... she was also the one I called to come look at Jay-Man when I thought he needed PTS. She concurred and he was gone the very next day.

That is trust!

Red-1

Visit site
Amazing!

Rigsby is back!

Him being unhappy had sneaked up on me. But, a few days on his gut supplement, along with splitting his reduced grazing into two sittings, has worked wonders.

Rigsby is enjoying life again.

Hacked out today. Rigsby knows he isn't allowed to stop/deviate and eat. But, as long as he doesn't pull on the reins, and he keeps moving, then flowers 'falling' into his mouth is no crime. We were hacking right beside a tempting verge, with grass and cow parsley as tall as his mouth!

193408329_10220672614629271_8592027153919888011_n.jpg

So, the first time he took a bit of cow parsley, he laughed at me!

195690912_10220672616189310_6265946729609952661_n.jpg

So, because he is fun and I have no pretensions of having a higher cause for him, just for sh£ts and giggles, I took him onto a REALLY deep verge...

195515146_10220672618189360_5924087813665104762_n.jpg

And his head swept left...

196088907_10220672619469392_5334985312416663975_n.jpg

And his head swept right!

195339029_10220672618829376_8710686757729278989_n.jpg

And he got flowers, like Ermitrude, and he sucked them in, like a kid eating spaghetti!

194392951_10220672620029406_6580367754602749872_n.jpg

Rigsby makes me smile, laugh, everything!

Red-1

Visit site
Poor Rigsby, he is only going out overnight, as he easily overheats... But the mozzies are still out in force.

Poor Mr Red, only went to put the hay net out, 8.45pm, and they bit him so hard, they drew blood!

So, Rigsby has to go out dressed like the pantomime horse!
1f61c.png

I guess he will now overheat, and lose his mane. But with no rug, he will doubtless have hurtful bites, rub his mane, and lose it. So, I give up with the mane, glorious as it is, and he can at least be bite free.

Hopefully they will stop biting by 11pm, and he has a few comfortable hours before coming back in. If I want to ride, he will be wearing his zebra outfit :rolleyes:

196125953_386601746011097_2412271211756561759_n.jpg194569969_234615308465851_2586270872603299193_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Despite being out mainly overnight and wearing a rug, the local mozzies attacked Rigsby's willy until it swelled
1f62a.png
so hacking today was done in a ballerina outfit, complete with tulle skirt - that I lovingly sewed on by hand.

The zebra skirt I wore kept them off my legs too, I have 8 bites from the last ride
1f644.png

Visible enough?

Back home, Mr Red has been a superhero, refitting the mats in the grooming parlour. I tried to do it myself but am now apparently incapable of even moving them on my own, let along re-fitting them.

Next up, emptying the garage and sorting through it all, only to put it all back in
1f923.png

194348731_323786179264592_4916855846779068677_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Well, what a lesson at the horsie social club tonight... Rigsby just goes for the social, although it is officially a pole work clinic.

First off, we just got in there and were waking round, when one of the other horses got giddy and the rider couldn't stop... About 20 circles later, she still couldn't stop, but the horse changed direction and she was slung to the floor. Her horse, however, saw Riggers and ran at him. Rigsby was bemused - why run round in the heat, he wondered. He stood like a rock.

The horse and rider got sorted out and the lesson started. Rigsby was only there for the social, and he was enjoying it, despite the heat. The arena surface had been reconditioned this week and was soft and fluffy... Cob owners can probably predict what happened next...

Yes, Rigsby gently LAID DOWN for a roll! With me still sitting on him!!! ?

I had to do the funky chicken to get him up again.

After that, I had considerably less sympathy, so he worked harder than I originally intended, not least because when he was standing watching, he was eyeing up the soft and fluffy surface ? He did well on his canter poles. 199703032_10220734135607257_1518992343655313410_n.jpg

A photo from the end, Riggers anointing the posh surface with a nice pee pee.

Horses, eh?

Red-1

Visit site
The weather cooled down today, I dug some more of the zebra pantomime horse outfit out of storage. Aaaaaand...
Tonight, we had a fabulous ride out! The stripes really do keep the flies away. Bliss! Photos courtesy of a kind neighbour.

Rigsby has been on some rather expensive gut medicine, £200 so far
1f644.png
but it has worked! He was up for a lovely ride out tonight. No plodding for Riggers, he was a cob on a mission! We were out for an hour and a half, our longest ride yet, and he came back striding out just the same as when he was fresh.

Happy days!

I am so glad I cancelled everything a few weeks ago. I knew he was not enjoying himself, and was puzzled as he wasn't lame. Sore guts, explains it all. He must be relieved that I listened, and I am glad that I asked Fiona to come and take a look. She is a one off. Amazing. No conventional signs of ulcers, on a teenage horse with many issues, and she was adamant that it wasn't feet or lameness, also that Rigsby wasn't ready to retire quite yet. I think she has X ray eyes!

201357090_10220779311176618_6410559667735684958_n.jpg
201259474_10220779312816659_4129760078558304965_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
I love Riggers updates! Very happy for you both that he is feeling better

Me too. It has been too hot to ride lately, but life got more stressful again with another round of mum's paperwork, and I just needed a ride out. The cooler weather sealed the deal. he felt fabulous.

In other news, I also noticed that his tail was a bit thinner. When I looked at it, the end was just touching the floor, so I suspect he has been standing on the end when reversing. I have taken an inch off, so it swings clear again. He also had a 40 minute groom to encourage the last of the fluff out, and his feet trimmed. He looks fantastic, shiny, perfect weight, not as dipped in his back - not that you would know with the pantomime zebra outfit :p

Red-1

Visit site
The only glitch is.... I hadn't planned on another pole clinic tonight, hence going out for AN HOUR AND A HALF yesterday (can hardly believe it myself, especially as he romped home) but ... it was such fun at the last clinic so maybe we should go... but.... maybe he will be sore? On his back? Feet? Or, maybe the clinic would simply be FUN!

Gosh, I had so few aspirations when I bought him. I just felt so wretched with mum's issues, was overwhelmed and lost. I deliberately set out to find the most broken horse (who still had at least the potential to be a ridden prospect, even if he just ended up as a companion) because I felt so broken myself, at the time.

3 months of walking in hand, building from 100 yds... 10 minutes at a time under saddle, at walk... It was what I needed as well as what he needed.

Now, I am deciding if a clinic this evening would be good to go to, or if we already did 2 days' work in one!

BTW, I haven't looked for another horse this past two weeks. Mum's paperwork has reared its head again, and I am like a rabbit in the headlights when that happens. It recedes, then all of a sudden loads needs doing NOW, and I feel overwhelmed again. Hence setting off on an adventure last night. And Riggers joined with the adventure and turned it into a grand adventure.

At the end of the day, there is always Rigsby!

Last edited:

tristar

Visit site
glad to hear rigsby is back inaction, have not read most of this thread but am interested as i have just backedmy first cob last week, and managing the weight is a big thing, learning curve

on the fly thing my cob was off twice last week so put on a fly rug and seems ok now, have another that reacts badly to flies at this time of year in particular, yet the mainly tb one is out with no rug and seems fine, would love to know the reason why some are just badly affected and others are not, i find the zebra rugs very good

Red-1

Visit site
I'm loving you deciding not to post about him any more Red ?
Nope, he retired because he wasn't enjoying his work. Only, rather than simply turn him away, I had Fiona come and give him a treatment, and she said to treat his digestive system. I did, and he is once more loving life.

As I said, Rigsby is back! Stronger than ever.

But, if he stops enjoying it, he can stop again. I think he will also like retirement.

I only bought him as a companion really!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Apologies, I thought you said you had decided to go more private again, nothing to do with him retiring. But whatever, I'm glad you've decided to keep the Rigsby updates, they are so enjoyable.

Red-1

Visit site
Apologies, I thought you said you had decided to go more private again, nothing to do with him retiring. But whatever, I'm glad you've decided to keep the Rigsby updates, they are so enjoyable.

I guess it is private when he retires, nothing to report. He is being a lot of fun now though!

Red-1

Visit site
No, I had a look,

Rigsby has had a good week, been back on hack one day/school the next. He has been foot perfect. Lovely furry, friendly face. His canter has got stronger both hacking and schooling. He is putting his back into it!

I am decided on one thing though. he was exactly what I needed, when I needed it. But, I have started to look at stuff.... I realised that, right now, he has a pole work clinic booked, a pleasure ride booked, a dressage booked and... I'm not sure it is right.

I have dreams and ambitions. My dreams and ambitions are not Rigsby's!

Rigsby was exactly what I needed, when I needed it. But, he is an aged cob with many issues, and now, I think I need to start the search for another, more competitive type. Rigsby can stay! He is ace. He has done everything I could have hoped for and more.

I see Rigsby's future as a companion and as a hack/ride for friends.

*whispers* I may have booked to see a potential new horse tomorrow.

I don't know why I was so public with Riggers. I think it may have been that I was irked that people would all have said PTS when he is capable of making many people happy. I won't be public with the next one, I am generally a very private person.

I feel that Rigsby's thread may have come to an end. I may sporadically update, but not as prolifically as before.

Wish me luck tomorrow!

Yes, no mystery there. Rigsby wasn't enjoying it all as much as I was, so he was to step down. I was still going to do some updates, but didn't expect there to be much to update, as he was stepping down.

TBH, it still won't be as prolific as before, it was just that we have had a couple of FAB days.

I was looking for a new one, but mum's paperwork has reared its head again, I feel a bit swamped and haven't even really looked at adverts for a couple of weeks. All in good time. And it is good news that Riggers is, once more, having fun!

I still won't be as public with the next one, but Riggers is a one-off.

Last edited: