I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I work in a school, it is summer holiday time, it has also cooled down = Rigsby has been pressed into service.

Such an obliging chap. Not ridden for ages, slap a saddle on and off we go.

He is getting a lot more reliable in traffic. Bins are no problem either, in fact he is interested in them but that is because he isn't sure if we should be filling them, emptying them, or taking them for a walk!

Had a super canter in the stubble too. Of course, he was wearing full fly protection, including his very long tutu skirt, but nothing is much of a bother for him. He was like a flying bedsheet o_O

Finally, he met a concrete mixer, very loud. He was a champ.

Thank goodness for Rigsbys, the world over!

225592627_124713893104099_6203465252755099106_n.jpg

225603548_1049966855810272_6144780244830269023_n.jpg
224810731_361642975337806_8078466231416637893_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Another who loves the flying bedsheet description ?

I was stubble, but a rape stubble field. We had to stick to a tyre track, but still a stray lump of rape stuck itself to his sheet, so we not only had skirts flying out to the side, but also a rattly branch dragging behind him. No matter. Rigsby is steadfast in most situations!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I was stubble, but a rape stubble field. We had to stick to a tyre track, but still a stray lump of rape stuck itself to his sheet, so we not only had skirts flying out to the side, but also a rattly branch dragging behind him. No matter. Rigsby is steadfast in most situations!

Super boy, this is completely priceless. I was having a canter down track one morning when I thought I could hear something a bit strange, J was fine so carried on until end of track and looked behind where I noticed we'd collected a huge 9ft clump of dead brambles in his tail trailing behind us ? possibly should have stopped and checked earlier!

J&S

Visit site
This is something that worries me about riding with fly sheets (and bedding!). Do you plan routes just in the open? I would be concerned about the sheet catching on brambles/branches etc. Maybe I am too wary, I even worry about people riding in those field boots with laces up the front! I .would not let my children ride with hoods on their coats/jumpers for the same reason. Was there a time when we were told not to ride with earrings incase they got caught? I have come back from a ride with all sorts of scratches from wayward growths on bridle paths.

Red-1

Visit site
This is something that worries me about riding with fly sheets (and bedding!). Do you plan routes just in the open? I would be concerned about the sheet catching on brambles/branches etc. Maybe I am too wary, I even worry about people riding in those field boots with laces up the front! I .would not let my children ride with hoods on their coats/jumpers for the same reason. Was there a time when we were told not to ride with earrings incase they got caught? I have come back from a ride with all sorts of scratches from wayward growths on bridle paths.

The tutu skirt one worries me too, it is almost to the floor when it hangs down once it has been ridden in a bit. When the sides fly out in the wind, I worry about car wing mirrors, if they are too close. In fact, I was worried about that enough that I trimmed the sides (the skirt part is about half the length it was, but then, I did make it for a MUCH bigger horse)!

But the flies here are so bad, it is a worthwhile risk to take, now it is trimmed somewhat. Besides, Riggers is strong as an ox, and the flimsy netting fly sheet is only held in place by 2 narrow velcro straps. I dare say, if he really got caught on something, the sheet would either rip to shreds or rip off, way before it damaged him.

He doesn't care, even if vegetation gets caught and comes along for the ride. Probably working out how he can turn and eat it for a picnic rather than panic.

I don't worry about boot laces, long tails, earrings etc. I do tie hair into a ponytail.

scats

Visit site

I got my hood caught on a branch once. It nearly pulled me off backwards and when it finally released it smacked my friends horse, who was behind us, right in the face. Was a stark reminder to me that hooded tops are not hacking suitable!

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby has astonished me! I mean, I primarily bought him as a companion horse. I always said, it wouldn't matter if he didn't make a ridden horse. Just having him healthy at 6 months and alive after a year would be a bonus (and it is only 2 months off a year now, so fingers crossed, but we are going in the right direction).

Rigsby hasn't been on the school since I was isolating, other than to loaf, as it is his turnout area. We have hacked a bit, but only on cooler days. He is doing really well, has up to 4 hours at grass in the morning and sometimes an extra hour in the evening. We didn't know if he would ever manage grass, but he is...

Today, it was cool. Mr Red had just rolled the arena. I put a little X pole up and it was game on!
I started with walking round, trimming trees. Some had been growing over the fence and, if I stood in jumping length stirrups, I could reach them to snap them off. Rigsby then realised that he might be able to reach them too, if he made like a giraffe so, once I started the job, I had to finish it.

Next up, I thought we would do a gentle warmup, a few figures of 8. I asked for a trot, he bounded forwards and went straight for the fence. Well, that was a surprise, but I didn't want to discourage the lad so I allowed him to take me there. He popped it and trotted off the other side, tossing his head in congratulation.

We went round again, this time he voluntarily went into canter and popped it. I was astonished. I hadn't actually asked him to do it yet, and here he was, volunteering his services.

I changed the rein. Straight into canter, miles from the fence, held canter right round and popped the fence.

I got ambitions, got off and put the fence back to what he did the last (and only time) he jumped at home. I re-mounted, he circled round in trot, went to canter and popped it like a pro
1f62e.png

I was naughty. I got off and put it up. I re-mounted and wondered if I had been too ambitious. I mean, Riggers is an old man, this was only the 6th time EVER that he has jumped. I decided that it was up to him. Jump it, not jump it, his choice. I have no ambitions for Rigsby.

He circled in trot, popped to canter and JUMPED! Luckily, I had set my phone going. Got a video and stole a screenshot photo.

That was it. 5 jumps in total. 3 of those were trot poles. Much congratulating all round, I pulled the saddle and he wandered over to eat hay. Rigsby is ACE!

227329282_520638425814782_4770427256290666634_n.jpg

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I got my hood caught on a branch once. It nearly pulled me off backwards and when it finally released it smacked my friends horse, who was behind us, right in the face. Was a stark reminder to me that hooded tops are not hacking suitable!

I got my ear caught out hunting once. The amount of blood was quite startling!

Red-1

Visit site
Oh, I forgot to say, yesterday he astonished me too.

We were out hacking, just round the corner from home. The road was blocked, cars were doing much reversing, a trailer was being unhitched and turned.

I decided to stand still until it was all done.

When he came, Rigsby wasn't very patient and standing still didn't really happen. I knew that was all improved... The other evening a workman came round to give a quote while he was in the grooming parlour. He ended up standing, tied up, with no hay, for 45 minutes more than I intended and... not a peep. He just stood. He was happy enough, he knew that life would unfold just perfectly.

Yesterday, with the traffic, we 'took' the road and stood waiting. Rigsby made like a Police Horse. He watched with much interest. He was patient.

When it was all clear, he waited for me to tell him it was time to move on. When I decided it was time, we moved on.

Riggers is ACE!

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
I have entered Rigsby in a small X pole clear round show at the weekend!

He loved going there to the dressage show and, in fact, whenever we hack past and there is a show on, he tries to turn up the driveway.

I won't practice again, he has jumped 6 times in his 17 years, surely that is enough LOL:p

If he enjoys it, we will jump. If he looks like he is either stressed or not bothered, we will have a social and then come home. Personally, I hope we get a rosette :cool: but it doesn't matter.

I have no aspirations of him becoming a jumper, but a lovely friend to have a social, yes, I think he is that!

It is literally X poles, no fillers, no doubles or oxers. I suspect he will have a great time, but trot the lot without actually popping them.

Mr Red has agreed to attend, with a camera.

Wanted to ride today, but I have given Rigsby the day off after his exertions of yesterday. He has been hoof trimmed, legs trimmed and bathed head to toe. He will look a dashing sort, even if there isn't much dashing going on.

I may hack out tomorrow. I suspect I am protecting him too much.

Red-1

Visit site
Are Rigsby's charms working on Mr Red yet or is he still not a fan?

It is a complex relationship.

Mr Red, I would say, now likes Rigsby as a person. Hard not to really, as Rigsby is a lovely character. I sometimes find them chatting. But, he maintains that he is a useless waste of a good skin :eek:. I think he used to be serious when he said that, but now I *think* it is a joke.

He does accept that Riggers was a rock for me, while mum was going through her worst and over her death. I would say that he even thinks Rigsby was good for me.

He obviously does like him, as someone was tentatively asking if he was for sale and Mr Red emphatically said no, he will live here until he dies. He accepts Rigsby as family now. I think I wouldn't be allowed to sell Rigsby now, even if I wanted to!

I know he is very protective of Rigsby; the other day, Riggers was out on the arena and we were leaving the area we live in for a few hours and he wanted to bring Riggers in. It wasn't hot or stormy (the two reason I bring him in) so I enquired why he thought Rigs should be in? His reply? Because he is 'safer' although I'm not sure what kind of safety he is worried about. He was behind 2 locked gates, the outer ring fence is a tall solid gate or a 6' hedge with moat, so quite well protected!

Complex.

Red-1

Visit site
Yes, Riggers did his first show! It was a "Stressless" format, so no need for show attire...

I wanted to dress up, just for the occasion, but Mr Red wasn't keen as he thought we would have been the only ones in fancy clothes, but the (smaller then me type of) kids (as opposed to big kid like me) had, in the main, dressed up, so I would have looked just in keeping!

Riggers was mannerly. He liked the whole outing; for his first show I had picked a X pole clear round, literally little X poles that he could step over. So...

In the main he did.

Step over, that is, not actually jump
1f602.png

Clever Riggers.

In the arena he was astonished to find he was expected to trot round and do 11 X poles in a row. He was well ready for a rest by the time we finished. He was a champ though, did as he was asked, joined in the new game.

He has now done 1 dressage intro, which he won, but he isn't that enthralled by dressage, and a jumping show. I don't have any more planned! All is well, he is back in his paddock. Eating well soaked hay. It's a Rigsby's life. A bit of entertainment, a lot of fuss and careful feed.

229225622_10221074020184159_6058320539718251090_n.jpg

231490224_10221074020504167_4206312511592333127_n.jpg

229026007_10221074020744173_6284427774148287396_n.jpg

229696486_10221074031664446_7500945771250488790_n.jpg

231166828_10221074032144458_2172829038970534252_n.jpg

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Your relationship with Rigsby is what I aspire to have when I am finally ready to own my first horse. I've so enjoyed checking up on this thread and seeing your progress together. It's clear that you both love each other and enjoy each other's company so much - a true partnership built on mutual respect and friendship <3

Red-1

Visit site
Mr Red and I dance Argentine tango, only we haven't for ages (2 years). First of all mum was ill, then I need an operation on my foot, but.... well..... Covid...

However, today....

Second drum roll of the day.....

was our first dance in 2 years!

Firstly, I didn't have any clothes to fit, what with having lost 4 1/2 stone :eek:. Then, I haven't done anything other than pony-tail my hair since Covid, so it took 1/2 a can of hairspray to try to make a style. Then, Rigsby is special needs and can't go long between his meagre hay nets, so I had to get (mostly) ready and do him just before we left.

Rigsby life.

230913540_10221075534182008_2649037113382300268_n.jpg

Roxylola

Visit site
You look very Spanish together in that bottom pic imo.
How long have you been tangoing? I admire your tenacity, I dance but AT is serious stuff