I just bought my first cob! Introduction + feed advice + photos!

Schollym

Visit site
After a torrid 2 years of stress (not horse related) I have sold the posh competition horse and bought my first cob!

Introducing Rigsby!

View attachment 55359View attachment 55360View attachment 55361

Fetched him yesterday - before anyone has a fit, I was NOT grazing him on the lawn, I was walking him to his field, where he wears a muzzle, he only had half an hour, and we are scalping it when we have bought diesel this morning. He was like a terrier in a maxi Shetland body on the way and made me feel like a hapless 10 year old as he grabbed a mouthful!!!

Rigsby is 15 years old, he was owned by wonderful, caring people who had to sell him due to personal issues. He has EMS and has just recovered from mild lami (which caught them by surprise and was caught extremely early) and is ready to start coming back into work.

Rigsby is admirably slim right now (his sticky out bits actually stick out!), and his owners have given me feeding instructions, which I will follow. But, I wondered what else I can do. He is on soaked hay, 8kg a day unless he has time at grass ( up to 3 hours with a muzzle) when the hay is reduced. He has just a single handful of chop when he comes in, which I will continue as he comes to call because of it! Once he is back in work he will be able to eat a bit more bulk, which will please him greatly, I think.

Also, he has his legs clipped to keep scabs under control (which they are) but I would love to try to grow his feather. His old owners tried all sorts, including the mite injection, but his scabs are persistent. They are controlled by a good scratch every morning, so it may be that he needs to stay shaved.

I must confess, I don't feel like I own Rigsby, I feel like he now owns us!

My plans are to get him back to daily hacking, which is the only thing he has ever done so far. I am stressed and busy right now, and having a furry pal to walk the lanes is just the ticket. He has obviously been very well cared for, he is confident and friendly.
Due to his age ( plenty of life to go, my mare is 21 and loves a gallop) it might be worth getting his hormone levels checked as mild laminitis without any obvious triggers could be an indicator of cushings. My pony who had had previous bouts of laminitis and was kept on a strict diet would go pottery and had Cushings diagnosed. Was fine on pergolide although we had to syringe it in mixed with custard.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Due to his age ( plenty of life to go, my mare is 21 and loves a gallop) it might be worth getting his hormone levels checked as mild laminitis without any obvious triggers could be an indicator of cushings. My pony who had had previous bouts of laminitis and was kept on a strict diet would go pottery and had Cushings diagnosed. Was fine on pergolide although we had to syringe it in mixed with custard.
It is tested regularly, upthread ^^^.

Schollym

Visit site
After a torrid 2 years of stress (not horse related) I have sold the posh competition horse and bought my first cob!

Introducing Rigsby!

View attachment 55359View attachment 55360View attachment 55361

Fetched him yesterday - before anyone has a fit, I was NOT grazing him on the lawn, I was walking him to his field, where he wears a muzzle, he only had half an hour, and we are scalping it when we have bought diesel this morning. He was like a terrier in a maxi Shetland body on the way and made me feel like a hapless 10 year old as he grabbed a mouthful!!!

Rigsby is 15 years old, he was owned by wonderful, caring people who had to sell him due to personal issues. He has EMS and has just recovered from mild lami (which caught them by surprise and was caught extremely early) and is ready to start coming back into work.

Rigsby is admirably slim right now (his sticky out bits actually stick out!), and his owners have given me feeding instructions, which I will follow. But, I wondered what else I can do. He is on soaked hay, 8kg a day unless he has time at grass ( up to 3 hours with a muzzle) when the hay is reduced. He has just a single handful of chop when he comes in, which I will continue as he comes to call because of it! Once he is back in work he will be able to eat a bit more bulk, which will please him greatly, I think.

Also, he has his legs clipped to keep scabs under control (which they are) but I would love to try to grow his feather. His old owners tried all sorts, including the mite injection, but his scabs are persistent. They are controlled by a good scratch every morning, so it may be that he needs to stay shaved.

I must confess, I don't feel like I own Rigsby, I feel like he now owns us!

My plans are to get him back to daily hacking, which is the only thing he has ever done so far. I am stressed and busy right now, and having a furry pal to walk the lanes is just the ticket. He has obviously been very well cared for, he is confident and friendly.
Second comment sorry. Mallenders And salenders cream helps with the scabs. Google it!

Red-1

Visit site
Second comment sorry. Mallenders And salenders cream helps with the scabs. Google it!
Already has it. Upthread ^^^, although I find Meddi Mud better. That said, geberally if we clip every single week, wash and thoroughly massage daily, it now doesn't need any lotions or potions at all.

Squeak

Visit site
Rigsby looks like he's smiling in those photos. Glad you both got to enjoy the weekend even if camp was unfortunately cancelled.

Red-1

Visit site
Rigsby looks like he's smiling in those photos. Glad you both got to enjoy the weekend even if camp was unfortunately cancelled.
I love a Rigsby update. You can tell from those photos he was loving his day out.

He jumped onto his lorry and stood there like the Pope in the Popemobile. Like it was his place on his outing and he was ready to tackle the world.

I think he may be going to have another outing soon, just to see him so proud again. There is a longer ride, that I said he couldn't do, but I think we may do it. I'm not worried about his feet, they are conditioned on the road planings of his patio, it was more about my weight on him. Nothing to stop me hopping off for some of the ride and walking alongside though.

Red-1

Visit site
Rigs is looking super ?
Thank you. I hate having to have him quite as slim, but the vet insists. He is up to 6 hours at grass, muzzled, with 4 Horsehage Blue - High Fibre - haylage nets spread throughout the rest of the day.

They say that 1 bale lasts the average horse 3-5 days, but Rigs has one in less than 2 days so, with grass as well, he certainly isn't under fed. He also has a sugar beet and chop meal at night, for his vitamins.

Last year he suddenly dropped weight when his asthma flared, so I am watching out for that. Hopefully catch it earlier this year with some antihistamines.

scats

Visit site
Thank you. I hate having to have him quite as slim, but the vet insists. He is up to 6 hours at grass, muzzled, with 4 Horsehage Blue - High Fibre - haylage nets spread throughout the rest of the day.

They say that 1 bale lasts the average horse 3-5 days, but Rigs has one in less than 2 days so, with grass as well, he certainly isn't under fed. He also has a sugar beet and chop meal at night, for his vitamins.

Last year he suddenly dropped weight when his asthma flared, so I am watching out for that. Hopefully catch it earlier this year with some antihistamines.

He looks super. I’ve got Polly on a very strict diet and muzzled on a bare field, after losing control last year of her EMS. She’s now looking thinner than I’ve seen her in years- bum is going pointy, crest pretty much gone, dipping at flanks, ribs starting to be visible. It’s taking all my strength not to relent and ditch the muzzle, but I’ve got to remind myself that she clearly feels the best she has in ages- her eyes are bright, no fat pads above them, she jogs everywhere and I’m fairly sure we are on the way to eradicating her EMS.
She’s due back in work this week after a month off so I may have to increase her hay slightly in the day if she drops much more, but that awful heavy feeling of dread I’ve had for the last couple of years has gone.

Red-1

Visit site
He looks super. I’ve got Polly on a very strict diet and muzzled on a bare field, after losing control last year of her EMS. She’s now looking thinner than I’ve seen her in years- bum is going pointy, crest pretty much gone, dipping at flanks, ribs starting to be visible. It’s taking all my strength not to relent and ditch the muzzle, but I’ve got to remind myself that she clearly feels the best she has in ages- her eyes are bright, no fat pads above them, she jogs everywhere and I’m fairly sure we are on the way to eradicating her EMS.
She’s due back in work this week after a month off so I may have to increase her hay slightly in the day if she drops much more, but that awful heavy feeling of dread I’ve had for the last couple of years has gone.
It's a balancing act, for sure.

After his colic, I decided to allow a little risk, as in he has to enjoy life even if that is a little less healthy, for a bit more grass, hence 6 hours now whereas last year it was 4.

Red-1

Visit site
I rode baby horse good and early this morning, so I could go open water swimming, but then found there had been a glitch in the booking so had some spare time. So...

Rigs got to go for a ride again!

Picked up a bridle from someone locally who I had loaned it to, then the Postie stopped me and gave me a parcel.

Good old pack horse Rigs!

284165234_408962707799698_6849668417072915383_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
He's looking great. I know it's a big commitment managing his diet and frequent feed times but how nice to have a pony who you can pick up and have a trip out and then he's also happy having his down time. He's having the best life and he sure does make you smile (most of the time!).
He really does. I bought him when I was so stressed, I wasn't even fit to ride myself. We walked the lanes and got fit together. He was secretly glad when I got another though, as I was wanting to do more than he was.

Red-1

Visit site
You both look great in the ridden picture.
He was funny, totally ignored the village bunting, decided at the end of the road that he would rather do the short ride than the long one, greeted the postman like a long lost friend and strutted home like he owned the whole village! Was less impressed with his bath afterwards!

Red-1

Visit site
My friend came to rode today, Rigs was a gent.

A posed photo on the road and then one I took from the CCTV, synchronised dismounting! Neither of us looks elegant, but the boys are dealing with us like gents ?

Rigs enjoyed a new person to transport round; he likes his little outings. We enjoyed the chat, first time we have met up since Covid!

285486589_1248816435889183_2854387106684796372_n.jpg
286134497_520221953178111_6316937954200816899_n.jpg

Red-1

Visit site
Rigs had a few rides out, then it was hot, so he retired again!

I have adjusted his patio door to allow more airflow, he is sensible and goes into the stable when it is hot. He is also quite clever and usually pops out to poo round the corner. When I go muck out, all the poos tend to be together, sweet horse.

I clipped his legs this morning, then washed him and plaited his mane for airflow. He had a few hours out this morning then is in. I am going to try him out overnight while the heat wave is on. I never like leaving them out unattended, especially with a grazing muzzle, but needs must in this heat.

He has a heaves line back and has coughed a few times. He has been on special HHO oil with additives but no, that doesn't seem to be working. I have a tub of Ventipulmin standing by. May have to h=get him an inhaler this year though.

A few photos of the main man this morning.

293455342_10222667622023209_4146175529714220434_n.jpg
293112583_10222667623183238_8765969327091579988_n.jpg
293991869_10222667624983283_1317738889084854694_n.jpg

chaps89

Visit site
If he’s struggling with his breathing might it be worth looking at the ultimate muzzle for him? They have cut away breathing holes so are a bit nicer for them/better for the ones with breathing issues.
I’m sure he’ll enjoy his overnight turnout :)

Red-1

Visit site
Rigs survived his first night out. I gave him a big net at 6.30pm before he went out (muzzled) at 8.40pm, just so he wouldn't be hungry at his perceived coming in time.

He is now on his patio, free access to the stable.

Baby horse was frowning this morning. Rigs' patio goes round the back of his stable and they spend time each night rubbing noses, usually. He soon forgot it, he was washed and out for 6.30am. I put BH on a new field for a few hours; his usual field is bare but he is a bit heavier than perfect so I have kept him on the bare one. He has a show this morning but it is very close to hack to, doing one jumping class and will be finished (and probably home) by 10am as the show has moved classes forwards.

Red-1

Visit site
I do like these updates. Great photos, too!

How did it go at the Show today?

Done and dusted for 10am.

The baby horse is now 5 but is a real slow burner. I am happy with him though, as he is suitable for a more mature rider and he went clear. It's only a few weeks ago where he struggles to string even 5 fences together. It made his brain hurt!
293725981_559254215912145_6956070565107573432_n.jpg294258659_734673947811172_6086232890857172461_n.jpg

Attachments

• 293849019_1049862012586775_1532262379980387526_n.jpg
    293849019_1049862012586775_1532262379980387526_n.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 11