I like to stable at night...is that wrong???

MS123

Visit site
What rubbish. I've tried 24/7 turnout with my boy and he didn't settle, didn't sleep, worried, stressed and dropped condition.

At the end of the day, appropriate equine management is about what suits both horse and rider . . . as long as both are happy, relaxed, happy in their work (or retirement) then all is good.

P

Absolutely agree with PS. My mare enjoys coming in at night time.... she's waiting by the gate at 13.00!!

catkin

Visit site
Nothing wrong with stabling at night if it suits the horse.

I have 2 natives who are stabled at night, they appear to rather like it - get a chance for a good snooze, out of the evening midges, a chance to dry off in bad weather. They also adore a really good massage-y groom. It's also good for their waistlines as our grass is not the moorland vegetation they are designed to live on and they would be fat and ill very quickly if left out in the field all the time - so it is better to bring them in and let them munch on some low-sugar hay.
It is not the cheap or time-saving option but done correctly with the right horses it is fine.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Its your choice OP, but yes I believe that for the horse it is best for him to be out 24/7 unless there was good reason not to be as its been proven that its better physically and mentally for them. But many people keep horses in the way that suits themselves rather than the horse.

conniegirl

Visit site
I agree with PS.

My lad is in at night all year round, if I dont bring him in he lames himself galloping the fence line, he starts walking the fence line at about 4pm and if you havnt brought him in by about 6pm he starts galloping which stresses all the other horses out with him, stresses me and stresses his legs badly.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I think it totally depends on how it works best for you and your horse(s). I know that mine would be barrels if they were on grass all day and my Arab x pony will only tolerate restricted grazing for so long until he blows a fuse and starts hooning around.

Cam gets bothered by the flies and definitely loves his bed. This is how he is pretty much every day when I go to get him in. And he gets no bucket food or treats so that is not the reason for his keenness.

https://www.facebook.com/MrCamHorse/posts/390938871045146

And this is how I find him most mornings, and some afternoons and evenings too if he's been busy. :)

acf8a3fe-6aae-4f73-bd52-a84512dc051f_zps452da9f1.jpg

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
If its for the benefit of the horse, it's fine.
If it's for the benefit of the owner, no so fine.

My good doer comes in during the day for respite from the heat and the grass when it has the highest sugar level.
My warmblood mare is out 24/7 as she hates coming in during the summer months. Her last owner stabled her extensively when she was busy competing and now she hates being in.
Different horses have different needs.

sula

Visit site
Absolutely each to their own and whatever suits the horse and rider. My Highland likes to come in at night to get a break from the youngsters who would mither him all night long as well as all day. He likes to get his head down at night in a nice, clean bed with no hassle and a haynet all to himself. He`s an old boy now and finds it less easy to be out 24/7 and is better suited to being able to sleep in peace at night. Keeps him sweet!

windand rain

Visit site
I am an out at all costs 365 days a year person but I still firmly believe it is your horse so your choice so do as suits you both. Not my way but there are lots of differing ways to "skin a cat" so if you are both happy so be it. As long as they get out every day without fail I can see nothing wrong with it, it is horses cooped up for 23 hours a day and half an hour on a horse walker that I think are cruel and shouldnt own a horse.

montanna

Visit site
Mine isn't bothered in the slightest as long as she has food!

She is out 24 hours at the moment but she went jumping last night so stayed in overnight for a good sleep as she is only a 4yo.

Do whatever is best for you and your horse :) I learnt a long time ago not to listen to anyone else's opinion other than mine and my instructor!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Agree with all the other posters, that as long as this suits both you and your horse, then carry on!

The only proviso is that a horse with arthritic changes is probably better off when turned out 24/7, as they can keep moving and are less likely to stiffen up.

Mine 'officially' live out 24/7, but they all love to come in for a few hours R&R occasionally!

STRIKER

Visit site
Mine go out for 36 hrs every second day, whilst out they are also exercised, then on the 2nd night they come in for the night a rest off the grass and field a chance to rest, when i bring them in you can see the relief they lie down and sleep its so funny

BlackVelvet

Visit site
Nope mine was in at night all year round, he was happiest with this arrangement if i tried to leave him out he would stress out. Also he was a dream to muck out so not a problem and he was prone to lami.

Plenty of people on my yard had their horses in at night, mostly fatties or the ones competing. Cant see the problem!

PolarSkye

Visit site
I am an out at all costs 365 days a year person but I still firmly believe it is your horse so your choice so do as suits you both. Not my way but there are lots of differing ways to "skin a cat" so if you are both happy so be it. As long as they get out every day without fail I can see nothing wrong with it, it is horses cooped up for 23 hours a day and half an hour on a horse walker that I think are cruel and shouldnt own a horse.

Wise words :).

P

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Do what suits you and your horse. I have found that the best system for 99% of horses which have a job to do is some combination of in and out, for any combination of reasons: weight/flies/field management/mental health/convenience/exercise/medical/etc.

TheMule

Visit site
I don't get the 'in for a sleep' thing. My lot live out and lie down plenty, often flat out snoring!

3Beasties

Visit site
I don't get the 'in for a sleep' thing. My lot live out and lie down plenty, often flat out snoring!

Mine spent their first night out last night and this morning was the first time all winter that I have seen my mare lie down to sleep. She didn't want to get up so had to remove her rug while she carried on snoozing! Clearly more tha happy to sleep in the field :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I can understand an owner wanting to have their horse in at night. Years ago I was the same. I felt it gave me more time with them. Now though, they are out 24/7 every chance I get. I do however bring them all in 'for a rest' if it's been bucketing it down for days as I have yet to see a horse lying down in the pouring rain. I like to give their feet chance to dry out too. Thankfully all my liveries are of the same mindset and they all like their horses out as much as possible too.

Fides

Visit site
I have yet to see a horse lying down in the pouring rain.

Mine do. When the fence came down they found the muck heap was toasty warm too. My mare only used her field shelter once - when she had just started shedding and it was warm and she was too hot.

imagejpg1_zpsca581c77.jpg

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have to admit, the only times the horses use the field shelter here is when it is hot and the flies are bothersome. They will stand right outside it in the pouring rain and use it as a windbreak, but don't seem to actually go inside to get out of the rain.

montanna

Visit site

Mine is definitely more tired after spending a night out than when she comes in for the evening! When I have a lesson after work at 5.30pm, I always have her brought in at 2pm so she can lay down and have a sleep for the afternoon. She loves being in and will literally lay flat out snoring in her shavings. Always leave her in when she has worked hard and is doing more work the next day.

STRIKER

Visit site
Clearly mine dont relax when they are out as they snooze when they come in, so does the big cob who has lived out often, certainly more than mine have lived out

sunleychops

Visit site
I have learnt that apparently you are a bad horse person if you dont follow the below:

Horse out naked in all weathers 24/7 365 days a year
horse must be barefoot, shoes are the work of the devil
feed them turmeric, it cures sarcoids. Someone should inform cancer research UK about this breakthrough
ride in a halter with a bareback pad
let your horse do exactly what it wants to do all the time
blog about everything that happens
try and guilt trip anyone who disagrees with you

windand rain

Visit site
again horses for courses mine will turn themselves inside out to get out the old girl will jump the door given half a chance. No hope of them sleeping although we did have her in for an hour or two last year off the grass one day as she was being ridden by a neighbours child she was settled eating her hay but didnt lie down and was even happier to be out that evening. Most horses beg to go in because thye are fed in stables if no one ever gave them food inside they would happily stay out in my opinion.

Fides

Visit site
again horses for courses mine will turn themselves inside out to get out the old girl will jump the door given half a chance. No hope of them sleeping although we did have her in for an hour or two last year off the grass one day as she was being ridden by a neighbours child she was settled eating her hay but didnt lie down and was even happier to be out that evening. Most horses beg to go in because thye are fed in stables if no one ever gave them food inside they would happily stay out in my opinion.

That is a thought actually - mine have always been fed outside. I actually conditioned them to be ok out alone by feeding in the field. And my boy has a chain across the top of his stable as if I don't he will jump out and put himself back in the field.

glinda

Visit site
My 6 are all out during day and stabled at night- the downside of very good doers and too much grass! Oh and being very exposed and getting the full force of the weather.
Having said that they are all totally happy to be in their stables and get quite cross if I am late getting them in at night…. I think if I tried to leave them out it would cause a riot!
I hate seeing horses standing knee deep in muddy fields in the driving rain looking miserable in the middle of winter….. mine would never forgive me if i did that to them lol….