I love living in Yorkshire because.... (pics)

wishaway

Visit site
I am so impressed with this thread, I am moving to North Yorkshire next week from Lancashire to a small village (Stillington). It has the duck pond, village green, one post office that doubles as a shop, pub and church. Its nice to see so much possitivity.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I'm not way out in the countryside, just north of Leeds really, but have some great hacking near me, can hack through Harewood Estate and Bramham Park from where I am. Really want to make it back to the beach at some point too :)

wishaway

Visit site
Jenhunt that would be great to hack out. My horse will be very near Rideaway, he is quite old and unfit but very up for it.

EQUISCENE

Visit site
Thirteen years ago I moved up to the North Yorks Moors from the rat race of the Home Counties, the hacking is wonderful and my arena has the best views towards Sutton Bank you could ever wish for - I consider myself extremely fortunate and will never go back!

JenHunt

Visit site
I love that part of the world, hunting round Hawnby/Rievaulx is heavenly.

a few years ago I was hacking back to the boxes with a friend, late afternoon late in the season. Leaving tylas on the bridleway we glanced back and saw reivaulx in its own patch of golden yorkshire sunshine... can see why the monks chose the spot all those years ago.

kirstyl

Visit site
Silsden moor Kirsty. I would love to have you come over for a canter. Nobody round me lets their horses feet touch grass when ridden and mine goes so much faster if he has a friend to keep up with!

You must have lovely hacks over your way too.

Might have to take you up on that offer! I stable near Harewood which sounds great but there actually very few hacks around Harewood and even less canter possibilities. I'm not moaning as there are far worse placs to hack out but it isn't quite as fantastic as you might imagine

Walrus

Visit site
Thats not fair - you are making me home sick.
I love yorkshire - i was born in Thirsk (well in Northallerton hospital but lived in thirsk).
When my gran and uncle Peter were alive they lived out near stamford bridge / pocklington - the riding was lovely.
Its truely Gods country!

I live near Stamford Bridge! Yorkshire is amazing, moving back after 6 years away at Uni then working dwn south I moved back from London last year and it was the best decision ever. :)

Doncella

Visit site
I was born in Yorkshire, I loved all the hacking, the SJ venues, the variety of Riding Clubs and their venues, the Hunter Trials mostly in hacking distance including the affiliated ones.
In Wales now, very little hacking, miles between the different Riding Clubs, nearest indoor affiliated SJ venue 70 miles away, nearest BE venue England.
Anyone remember Andrew Fielders Pool Court Arena???? Those wer't days.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
There are quite a few HHO members who live in North yorkshire. :)

I live in Guisborough (bet you never guessed that! ;) ) and it is fabulous riding around here. From our yard we have direct access to Guisborough Forestry and the whole of the North York Moors. It is absolutely stunning.

We are very fortunate.

Munchkin

www.aloegeneration.co.uk and http
The old ladies!
malham031.jpg

margaretb

Visit site
I lived in Harrogate for 15 years, my sister now lives near Kirby Moorside/Helmsley, I always consider North Yorkshire as home; I took my OH there once but it pee'd with rain and we got stuck behind a caravan near Richmond so sadly he couldn't see what I saw about the place! It is a magical county!

JenHunt

Visit site
I lived in Harrogate for 15 years, my sister now lives near Kirby Moorside/Helmsley, I always consider North Yorkshire as home; I took my OH there once but it pee'd with rain and we got stuck behind a caravan near Richmond so sadly he couldn't see what I saw about the place! It is a magical county!

i think that's the thing isn't it... it pours down and its full or caravans all summer and we still love it!!

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I love Yorkshire too and I have many wonderful memories of holidaying there when we were young.

You are so lucky. Where I live, most of the hacking is roads, and you can never escape the noise of the M25. Some of the (few) off road bridlepaths follow tracks which run parallel to the M25. It's so loud, you can't hear to talk to other people, and even on a calm horse it's very stressful.

Dizzykizzy

Visit site
We live across the field from Rideaway...technically a Stillington address but probs nearer Huby really.
Love Yorkshire too, especially after being in exile in Bedfordshire for 5 years and hating it!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm West Yorks/ Lancs borders at the foot of the moors with gorgeous off road hacking all round. We're opening a B&B/holiday cottage next summer that can also welcome horses and dogs if anyone non-Yorkshire is tempted by the pictures on this thread...

Fiona_C

Visit site
*homesick* now. Brilliant thread though, I lived in Bedale for many years before finally moving away upto Durham and then moving down south.

Have promised myself that "one" day I shall return home.