Pictures I may have done a thing…buying unseen

BBP

Visit site
He's going to be a stunner, and he's lovely now :)
I hope so! He’s very much an ugly duckling in the nicest way. I think the trip took a lot out of him, he has no meat on his very large bones, huge legs holding up a tiny body, his coat is all baby fluff and scurf, and he’s looking a bit lame but he’s very sweet and I can’t wait to see how he turns out.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I hope so! He’s very much an ugly duckling in the nicest way. I think the trip took a lot out of him, he has no meat on his very large bones, huge legs holding up a tiny body, his coat is all baby fluff and scurf, and he’s looking a bit lame but he’s very sweet and I can’t wait to see how he turns out.

I am willing to put money on the fact that he will look like a different animal even four weeks from now!

And I think you should call him Duckling ?

BBP

Visit site
I am willing to put money on the fact that he will look like a different animal even four weeks from now!

And I think you should call him Duckling ?
I kind of want to call him Fuego, for his firey red mane. And I like the sound of the word. But a spanish name for an Irish pony? I’ve been told I’m putting too much thought into this naming game!

Attachments

• 3DD031E0-ACCB-4B9F-B52F-8EE05AA4295C.jpeg
    3DD031E0-ACCB-4B9F-B52F-8EE05AA4295C.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 60

BBP

Visit site
Question, is it normal for them to travel from Ireland without forage? Was just thinking back to his arrival and how there was no evidence of any forage having been fed on the lorry.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
yes from experience of one i knew, he arrived very tucked up and with travel sickness as he had no hay , he then was diagnosed with ulcers which he did not have when he travelled over to ireland a year previously...there was also the recent case where the horse ate the empty haynet , and died during colic surgery where they found the remains of the haynet inside him...

Caol Ila

Visit site
Question, is it normal for them to travel from Ireland without forage? Was just thinking back to his arrival and how there was no evidence of any forage having been fed on the lorry.

It's possible. When Gypsum was moved from Kent to Durham (after she'd flown from New York to Amsterdam and traveled overland -- with a haynet -- from Holland to Kent), the lorry driver told me in no uncertain terms that the horses were not going to have haynets on board the lorry due to 'risk of choke.' I was there. I was on the bloody lorry with her. But I was jet-lagged, shell-shocked, and not going to tell the driver how to do his job. Did I agree with that? Nope. Were the horses on that lorry for circa eight hours? Yep. Did I have happy, warm feelings about aforesaid shipping company? Nope. But everyone survived the experience. So there we are.

If your company or your driver also thought that was a thing, then it is entirely possible that he had no forage for the duration of his journey.

Peglo

Visit site
I’m not sure how much mine got on the travel all the way from Italy. She did have a stop in England so surely would’ve gotten something there. She was starving when I got her home though. But she is also always ‘starving’?
I wanted to call her Heidi but didn’t think I could call an Italian that.
Both yours are stunning BBP. Looking forward to seeing how wee chap grows.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Yes, it keeps the lorry clean :(

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Yes, if you use a not so good transporter ?.

Sorry. As ycbm says, it's to keep the lorry clean.

The great thing is that he made it over safely. He is lovely :).

BBP

Visit site
I used what I thought was the best, but the communication with them was really poor. They didn’t really give me any information about the process at all. I thought maybe it’s because they are used to dealing with racehorses and so just crack on without updating on every little detail. But I didn't enjoy the process as from his pickup on Wednesday to drop off Friday I had no idea where he was. He wasn’t a fat yearling at all and I expected to see him come off looking not great, but if he wasn’t fed for 24 hours (disclaimer: I don’t know this for sure, just that I didn’t clock any hay or poo in the lorry and he was the last one off) then it’s not surprising he looks pretty thin. I had hoped to get a gut supplement into him but he doesn’t know what a bucket feed is so that will take a little time. He’s here now so it’s onwards and upwards!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I was told mine would travel with hay but when he arrived there was none on the box.

However, he was:

1. Picked up Thursday 10pm and delivered Friday 12.00, so 'only' 14 hours.
2. Travelled on the ferry in a big box and transferred to a 2 horse one in the morning once in England.

So, although the last part was without hay, he could have had it overnight on the bigger box, or had a bite when swapped.

I was seeking to avoid the scenario where he was driven around England doing multiple drop offs. He was a little dehydrated and hungry when he arrived but, after a few hours at grass and some hay/water in the stable, was right as rain next day. No weight loss.

I have followed the new Chestnut ID on here who was brought over. It was only about £200 more for a solo journey. If I did it again, I think I would pay the extra, and tell them I would clean the box here when they arrived!

Reactions: BBP

PurBee

Visit site
you‘ll probably be fine giving a handful of mild bucket feed infront of him to carry minerals. He’ll likely investigate with curiosity and give it a munch.
I was surprised my newborn foal days old would try to interefere with dams bucket feed. Thats when i realised nature was very clever with giving foals very long legs and short necks so they couldnt graze from the ground when all they need is milk! Watching him attempt to splay his front legs to try to mimic dams grazing was hilarious ?

Surbie

Visit site
He's very very beautiful and fantastic that BBP's acrobatics don't raise more than an eyebrow. Wish you many years of fun with him and please post more pics, he's such an unusual colour.

Reactions: BBP

BBP

Visit site
you‘ll probably be fine giving a handful of mild bucket feed infront of him to carry minerals. He’ll likely investigate with curiosity and give it a munch.
I was surprised my newborn foal days old would try to interefere with dams bucket feed. Thats when i realised nature was very clever with giving foals very long legs and short necks so they couldnt graze from the ground when all they need is milk! Watching him attempt to splay his front legs to try to mimic dams grazing was hilarious ?
He was more interested in the bucket itself than the feed in it. He’s not eating as well as I had expected in general, I thought he would be ravenously wolfing everything in sight down but he’s picking quite delicately at everything and not with any great dedication. He has grass and a couple of different types of hay. I need him to build his strength up a bit before the crazy black pony is allowed in with him.

ImmyS

Visit site
I was told mine would travel with hay but when he arrived there was none on the box.

However, he was:

1. Picked up Thursday 10pm and delivered Friday 12.00, so 'only' 14 hours.
2. Travelled on the ferry in a big box and transferred to a 2 horse one in the morning once in England.

So, although the last part was without hay, he could have had it overnight on the bigger box, or had a bite when swapped.

I was seeking to avoid the scenario where he was driven around England doing multiple drop offs. He was a little dehydrated and hungry when he arrived but, after a few hours at grass and some hay/water in the stable, was right as rain next day. No weight loss.

I have followed the new Chestnut ID on here who was brought over. It was only about £200 more for a solo journey. If I did it again, I think I would pay the extra, and tell them I would clean the box here when they arrived!

Not sure if you’re talking about my boy? ☺️ He travelled this way and I would certainly do the same again. He had a long journey from west coast of Ireland to the very south east of England. He travelled from Ireland to Cotswolds in one hit. Then had a day and a night at the transports yard where he had a basic feed and hay. Then set off in the morning down to me. He arrived with hay and not tucked up at all. Had regular updates and phone calls. I don’t really see an excuse for not having hay. I understand the possible choke risk but even so I think this is unlikely and outweighs the possible longer term damage of no forage for so long ?

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
My new 2 year old was like this, he had a long journey with an overnight stop to get here. He went into a field with plenty of grass with my other one the other side of the fence. I gave him a pile of hay and a tiny bucket feed, he was far more interested in waving the bucket around and just ignored the hay. I let my other one in with him the next day and as soon as he saw him eating the food and hay he suddenly wanted it to and has been a walking hoover ever since. I know he'd had hay and been fed from a bucket before, I can only assume it was unsettled baby nerves that meant he didn't bother with the food, because he is really very greedy.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Not sure if you’re talking about my boy? ☺️ He travelled this way and I would certainly do the same again. He had a long journey from west coast of Ireland to the very south east of England. He travelled from Ireland to Cotswolds in one hit. Then had a day and a night at the transports yard where he had a basic feed and hay. Then set off in the morning down to me. He arrived with hay and not tucked up at all. Had regular updates and phone calls. I don’t really see an excuse for not having hay. I understand the possible choke risk but even so I think this is unlikely and outweighs the possible longer term damage of no forage for so long ?
Yes, I was. I was shocked at how little extra a single horse load was. Mine had a good trip, but even so it was probably about 2 hours longer thank if he had come alone.

BBP

Visit site
I think bbp is going to have me sitting in a corner rocking and talking to myself, wondering what I have done. It’s clear that he does not like change, even a quiet inoffensive little Irishman. He has decided he is the man of the house and is grunting and striking out and generally stropping around. His mare has responded to seeing the yearling by coming ragingly into season. Little one is remaining separate until he has the energy to cope with the crazy black horse and until BBP stops acting the fool. I’d love to introduce the yearling to the mare first as she will be no bother with it, but I fear doing it that way may damage the chances of bbp befriending the yearling as he may get too jealous. We will see, I may have to change my plans on how to do the introductions.

SEL

Visit site
I think bbp is going to have me sitting in a corner rocking and talking to myself, wondering what I have done. It’s clear that he does not like change, even a quiet inoffensive little Irishman. He has decided he is the man of the house and is grunting and striking out and generally stropping around. His mare has responded to seeing the yearling by coming ragingly into season. Little one is remaining separate until he has the energy to cope with the crazy black horse and until BBP stops acting the fool. I’d love to introduce the yearling to the mare first as she will be no bother with it, but I fear doing it that way may damage the chances of bbp befriending the yearling as he may get too jealous. We will see, I may have to change my plans on how to do the introductions.

At least your mare is flirting with a youngster. Mine has just come into season flirting over the fence with a 30yo giant of a cob who barely has a working joint. Giant cob thinks his luck is in and has been prancing around the field like a 2yo.

You can never quite work out how herd dynamics will play out. Good luck!!!!

Trouper

Visit site
I read somewhere, once upon a lifetime ago, that there is some Spanish blood in the Irish genes ever since several Spanish ships from the Armada in 1588 were wrecked off the Irish coasts trying to get back to Spain.

Not sure if that applies to horses (?;)) but I agree it is your prerogative to call him what you like - and I think Fuego is a great name.