I need a dog

Bradsmum

Visit site
We lost our last terrier two years ago and because we knew we would be moving from Surrey to somewhere in Wales, we put on hold getting another dog until we were settled. We have now been here a year and during the last six months I've been applying to dog rescue centres but either getting no response or due to Covid they've not been able to visit areas outside their postcodes. I finally found a dog which looked on paper to be a good match and managed to get a home check done which I thought went well. There were a couple of areas that needed attention but they were minor and easily fixable. But then got a message to say that we were not a match for the dog as he might jump our perimeter stock fencing. My immediate thought was but he might not! I cannot tell you how down I feel for a dog I've not even met and as stupid as this is, I've not slept and just feel like crying. We are experienced dog owners and would have taken his safety, training and other needs v seriously. I just feel this rescue has denied this dog a great home, even though I'm sure he will be fine somewhere else but I just hope he doesn't end up in a tiny garden with 6ft panel fencing :confused: . Sorry, pointless post, but I wish rescue centres didn't write people off so quickly especially when they all seem to be crying out for funding. Soz, I needed to get this off my chest but cannot say I feel any better really - I desperately need a dog in my life.

meleeka

Visit site
It’s such a shame that rescue centres have such strict rules. Presumably any dog might jump your fence? This is why there are so many dogs in rescues imo. People with less than perfect facilities end up buying puppies because rehoming is just impossible.
My parents were lucky. They got a dog from a large independent rescue and because of the distance they didn’t even do a home check or he might have failed for the same low fencing. They had a really good chat with him instead and obviously worked out he could offer a good home based on what he said. That seems a much more sensible way of doing it.

buddylove

Visit site
That is really sad, and it is so frustrating knowing that you are an experienced dog owner, and you are being turned down on something so minor. So many of these rescue centres lack a holistic approach and are too concerned about covering their a***s. As much as I would have liked to rescue a dog, I know with three kids, and two other dogs, I would have little to no chance of being successful.

Bradsmum

Visit site
Our preferred type of dog would be a roughy, toughy terrier type though a little unsure how we feel about staffies as I've met v friendly and then the other end of the spectrum. Alpet poundies don't appear to have much on their site and I'm pretty useless on FB. Not really a collie fan though my dad did have a working one when I was growing up. I think it's just a difficult situation with CV for potential adopters but also for the rescues as you can't just rock up and meet the people and the dogs

Bradsmum

Visit site
Just to add our stock fencing is approx 3'6" high at its lowest and much of it is on banks (so higher) or has a ditch one side or the other. Obviously the dog would be supervised on a long rein initially and only allowed off lead when we are satisfied it knew us and its home. We have 7 acres of land that would make a dog a great home, we are early retirees who love walking and just want to share this with a dog.

Smitty

Visit site
Failing any of the above, try the freeads sites, ie Gumtree, Preloved, Pets4Homes etc as there are now dogs on those that for various reasons are advertised for rehoming.

Also, try Terrier Rescue, although I think it is more Surrey way.

palo1

Visit site
How sad and frustrating :( Ironically years ago I was able to rehome a dog because I met the right conditions but that meant my dog was in a small garden with 6ft panel fencing, never left home not on a lead and wore a muzzle for several months as those were the conditions of rehoming. I have had some fab rescues (greyhounds) but I don't think a rescue (non-greyhound) would let me have a dog these days as there is no way we could provide the fencing requirements and they seem to overlook the fact that decent owners know where their dogs are, take the trouble to work on training and have a very good awareness of potential escape points. Now I have acres of our own land, no near neighbours and really, in some ways dog heaven to provide but we wouldn't meet several rescue charities conditions! I hope you find a lovely dog soon - there are rescues which are much more pragmatic.

shamrock2021

Visit site
Rescues are extremely strict nowadays and they wonder why everyone is buying dog inside of adoption. I now a rescue that won’t allow people to adopt if they have kids. Hopefully the other rescue Will be less strict. I hope you find a dog.

WandaMare

Visit site
I found a dog I really wanted at a rescue place just south of Bristol. He had been in rescue for a year due to nervous aggression. We live in a remote area with no other dog walkers and the dog was fine with me and my OH. The rescue place turned us down due to the same reason as you, he might jump our garden fence. I was heart broken as had already fallen in love with this dog, so my OH built a pen in our garden with 8 ft sides out of green mesh fencing. The pen is approx 16 ft square. We had another home check and the rescue centre said we could have him. Of course he hardly ever went in the pen except if we had children visiting, he was the type of dog that wouldn't leave your side. Totally unnecessary and cost us a few hundred quid, but it meant we could have him and OH and I put it up over a weekend. Maybe its something you could consider? You are welcome to pm me if you want details, one thing I remember is that we had to bury about 1 ft of the fencing to stop any chance of burrowing under.

windand rain

Visit site
I wont even try for rescue every one we tried decided that 50 years of dog ownership with never so much as an accident wasnt good enough the one we did get a home visit from we were turned down because we had cream carpets. We have a covenant on our house which means we cannot keep dogs in the garden in kennels overnight but their reasoning was the dog wouldn't be allowed in the house. Actually we had cream carpets because the dog we had that died was a cream golden retriever. We have small grandkids now too so it will be a lab pup when we lose Willow. Rescue centers generally have a holier than thou attitude that leaves dogs kennelled for years

Moobli

Visit site
That’s so frustrating and upsetting. For you and the dog, who may now spend unnecessary time in kennels before finding that “perfect” situation ☹️
The estate gardener here had a lovely wee Patterdale bitch looking for a new home but we are in the Scottish Borders so probably too far?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I babysat a lost Staffie last week after he was spooked by fireworks and he was the most delightful dog. So affectionate and terrified of my tiny puppy shouting at him for being in her house ? and kept trying to climb on my knee for cuddles. Never met me before or been in my house.

The stock fencing thing is a bit mad TBH. I have two large dogs and a 1m garden wall. I prevent them jumping it by either supervising them/telling them not to/keeping them on a line when it's cat mating season (10m flexi leads are available!!).

My Mum went got a rescue recently and it seemed really easy/straightforward, it's a pity some places are over zealous.

gallopingby

Visit site
Bradsmum maybe you could offer to foster for one of the rescues? I volunteer for one and the biggest problem at the moment is finding accommodation or dogs to be accessed before moving on to their permanent home. Some do stay with the foster carer. Obviously we check gardens/ accommodation etc etc first and would prefer at least 4 foot fencing but all dogs are different, the number of people enquiring about a dog varies from half a dozen to several hundreds and they all think the dog will be perfect for them. Someone has to make a decision balancing everything so the right home if found. The increase in spaying / neutering costs etc means our minimum donation has increased to a more realistic level but no where near the ££££ needed time buy a puppy atm. I’m sure the right dog will find you in time they seem to appear just when you weren’t expecting them!

Bradsmum

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Moobli, I think Scottish Borders might be a bit far sadly. Other half did suggest building a dog pen so will give that some thought Wandamare. I have gone back to the rescue to ask if they have any other dogs that they consider would suit our environment but I'm guessing that the fence height will always be the problem. Smithy, I think it's Terier Rescue who stipulate that none of their dogs are allowed off the lead in a public place ever and you have to sign up to that so I have ruled them out. Something will come along I'm sure I just need to be patient

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I so wanted a dog when I retired but I have given up on rescues. I live on a small residential farm, I’m at home all day, the kids are grown up and gone, I have no other dog, I’m active and sensible but I don’t have a high perimeter fence so no go. As OP said, If I lived in the city and had a 6’ fence around a tiny patch of garden I would be an ideal candidate.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
it is much too difficult to give a rescue dog a home IMO, i have tried 3 times in the last 20 years and not been successful. each time i have spent about 4 months looking and applying and was never successful. wood green had a lurcher i wanted but wouldnt let me have him as i owned guinea pigs. the dog would have been going to work at a yard all day and would have very rarely been left at home with the pigs. they were in a secure cage on a high table and my previous lurcher had lived with them and i never had any accidents...i was told i could have one of the spaniel type dogs by a young person who looked like she was in her teens, i had owned dogs and had guinea pigs for over 40 years and IMO any dog can attack little furries and its up to the owner to have the right environment and control the situation. i will never try rescue again and will buy a puppy if i want another dog...

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
The last time I visited a rescue I was told I could not have a dog because our fields did not have 6’ high fences!
I asked how I was expected to fence the acres and our garden that had streams crossing the boundaries. The answer was a shrug.
While I was there a dog was being collected by its new owner. I was told, as an example, that this owner had just spent £2000 refencing their town garden ready for the dog.
I left, bought a young dog cheaply that was advertised on Gumtree from a family that had ‘over-dogged’ themselves. He came with 2 large boxes of kit, 2 crates, a bag of toys and we were also offered a wooden Snoopy kennel! I couldn’t take it. It wouldn’t fit in the car. He is elderly now and has medication. I wonder how we will replace him. It seems it will almost certainly not be from a rescue.

cbmcts

Visit site
In defence of some rescues, I've always worked full time, had cats and other dogs and managed to rescue! In fairness, the big rescues wouldn't have touched me but breed rescues have always been much more reasonable. Another option is to look into whoever rehomes stray dogs picked up the dog warden - those that would have come from the pound.

Most of my terriers were failed workers or came from traveller sites. Might not be an option during the pandemic though.

{97702}

Visit site
I’ve never had a problem re-homing dogs from rescue organisations, when I work full time and rent my house own it. After today I understand why I don’t and an awful lot of others do have problems

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I’ve never had a problem re-homing dogs from rescue organisations, when I work full time and rent my house own it. After today I understand why I don’t and an awful lot of others do have problems

is it because you have re homed greyhounds and they can cope with being left?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
What a shame for you.

If I ran a rescue while it was all well and good setting rules I'd be very interested to hear from someone like you who was desperate to have a dog over someone who hit the criteria but was a bit more blase about the whole thing.