I need help ---Welfare issue.

Backtoblack

Visit site
cant give details for fear of being recognised, but here goes. I've seen a horse in need of urgent medical help. owner refuses to call vet. Horse recieving bute from a stash the owner has. horse kept alone at owners home. what do I do?
If I call the RSPCA then the owner knows its me. do I ring the vet to discuss it? Do I ring a mutual friend and try to get them to visit the owner and have words with her too and see what happens. I am fuming, for the sake of the horse.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Animals, like children, don’t have a voice and need compassionate humans to intercede and advocate on their behalf. If you think you will be placing yourself in danger by contacting a welfare organisation you have two choices, ignore the situation or make that call. No judgment from me here. You are clearly caught between a rock and a hard place. If you call anyone, an equine charity will respond more appropriately and swiftly than the RSPCA.

meleeka

Visit site
World Horse Welfare would be my preference over RSPCA. If you have a local group/charity that’s probably the best way to go. We have a very good local group that will check it out and seems to have more clout with the authorities, so gets action much quicker.

paddy555

Visit site
when I was in that position I told the owner something was going to happen and they either got the horse sorted that day or I would get the welfare. They were too slow and I was not satisfied so I called a local welfare group, They were in straightaway and the horse was PTS within a couple of days. This was a medical/in pain situation.

It was difficult sticking my neck out, it could have turned out badly for me as the person in question was my manager at work and also a friend. However sometimes doing nothing is not an option.
I would always tell the owner I was going to call in help. I think it is fair to give them the chance to sort it themselves.

Spirit2021

Visit site
Unpopular opinion but I wouldn’t do anything because it sounds like this person will give you a hard time . Plus you don’t want to make your life hell and cause issues for yourself in the future. If you do report You have to be completely sure that the horse hasn’t seen a vet or doesn’t have a illness that makes them be on pain medication for long team . aka you have to have your facts right before reporting someone.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Unpopular opinion but I wouldn’t do anything because it sounds like this person will give you a hard time . Plus you don’t want to make your life hell and cause issues for yourself in the future. If you do report You have to be completely sure that the horse hasn’t seen a vet or doesn’t have a illness that makes them be on pain medication for long team . aka you have to have your facts right before reporting someone.

Why do you have to be sure a horse has seen a vet do you think the owner is not capable of lying about that fact.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I couldn't care less what the owner does or thinks I wouldn't hesitate to report cruelty, ring WHW they are much better than the RSPCA in my view.

I hope I would feel the same way, but I know that if I reported my surrounding farmers for maltreatment of animals (they give me no cause to) then my life could be made so difficult that I would probably have to move.

That's a big ask and I understand exactly why the OP is hesitant.

Trouper

Visit site
If you can I would always be open and up front with the owner about what needs to be done and what you intend to do if nothing happens. They may have financial worries which makes calling the vet out difficult (no excuse, I know!) but it does sometimes make people hope things will sort themselves out. A push from a concerned outsider may be all it takes - if not then go ahead and get welfare out.

Whatever you do - please don't delay. You are all that horse has.

Kaylum

Visit site
Where abouts are you? Your best bet is to contact your local horse charity. What they will do is go have a look and try make contact with the owner. The owner may need help and might not know what to do. The owner of the horse could have passed away or abandoned it. The charity may already be aware of the horse. They won''t give your name as they are not allowed to.

Reactions: Kat

Renvers

Visit site
Not an easy situation. I would talk to your mutual friend first. You have had good advice on this thread but none of us know you or the owner in real life to know the complete situation, all of her reasons why she won't call a vet or the consequences for your friendships if she gets reported.

If you think the mutual friend and yourself can influence action to be taken for the good of the horse do that. At least you can support each other if the owner takes it badly, or if she just needs both of you to make her see sense. Best of luck.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Horrible situation. Is it something that lies within the means of the owner? You could always try the approach of “....I know finances are tight (or whatever circumstance fits), but X really needs treatment. Can I help you to find someone who can help with that?”

I’d always try to be the solution rather than seem to add to the problem in the first instance, but it depends whether it’s a lack of means or a deliberate neglect?

holeymoley

Visit site
Do you know why the owner won’t seek further help?
I’ve been in your situation before and I gave up with everyone else. I called WHW who were very good and had someone out within a few days. There comes a point where you don’t really care if you get found out for reporting- ethically I’d rather take the ‘hit’ than watch the horse suffer.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
Personally I wouldn’t care who thought what or did what to me if I reported abuse. I would have to report something that concerned me and sod the consequences as I would feel complicit in the neglect/abuse. I’m not the sort of person who can walk away from something I know is wrong without trying to do something. I work with vulnerable adults and children and often have to make a call that could only have come from me in regards to abuse. So maybe it’s different for me as I’m conditioned to see something and act upon it no matter what. I’ve also reported people who let’s put it this way “aren’t very nice” to WHW in relation to animal abuse. The RSPCA aren’t worth calling in most cases. I totally understand how hard it must be especially if you know this person on a personal level. But sometimes doing the right thing isn’t easy. You could get the mutual friend to visit if they felt comfortable doing this, the person involved may not realise they need to get a vet (i’m being very generous here) but then if you’re still not happy with the outcome I feel reporting them is the only option. I tell myself:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke.

Last edited:

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I'm ol
Personally I wouldn’t care who thought what or did what to me if I reported abuse. I would have to report something that concerned me and sod the consequences as I would fee complicit in the neglect/abuse. I’m not the sort of person who can walk away from something I know is wrong without trying to do something. I work with vulnerable adults and children and often have to make a call that could only have come from me in regards to abuse. So maybe it’s different for me as I’m conditioned to see something and act upon it no matter what. I’ve also reported people who let’s put it this way “aren’t very nice” to WHW in relation to animal abuse. The RSPCA aren’t worth calling in most cases. I totally understand how hard it must be especially if you know this person on a personal level. But sometimes doing the right thing isn’t easy. You could get the mutual friend to visit if they felt comfortable doing this, the person involved may not realise they need to get a vet (i’m being very generous here) but then if you’re still not happy with the outcome I feel reporting them is the only option. I tell myself:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke.
Yes to all this.

Leandy

Visit site
Hard to advise without knowing the facts and in particular how acute a welfare case we are talking about. But to answer your questions, if I was certain that the horse needed help fast I would absolutely contact both a suitable welfare charity and the police and I would be confident that I had done the right thing so I would rate this as more important than the owner finding out that it was me who reported it. On this basis I would talk to the owner myself first to give them the opportunity to act themselves first unless I thought it might make them act against the horse's best interests (eg by hiding it somewhere else or being forewarned to refuse access to help). I would try to couch this as being willing to help them find the help the horse needs. If I know the mutual friend agrees I would involve them but not if there is a danger they will side with the owner or be indecisive. I would not contact the vet direct as there is no point. They will not act on your say so and will take instructions only from the owner.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I've been in this position a few times and I totally empathise with you, its a horrible dilemma.
My first port of call is to speak to the owner without being confrontational. Often, the initial reaction is denial, excuses and verbal aggression. It's normal when someone is called out. However, I listen and let them talk so that they can process the realisation that the problem is more serious than they thought and hopefully feel that you're there to support, rather than condemn. Even if you feel like your concerns have fallen on deaf ears, once they've had chance to calm down, they may understand that something has to change.
Depending on how time critical the situation is, I've got another mutual friend involved, or I've gone straight to the RSPCA. On three occasions, the RSPCA were brilliant and rang back to let me know the outcome. On one occasion, they let the horse down. It didn't end well, but sadly, the owner was known to the RSPCA, and I think the officers feared for their safety, just as our neighbouring livery yard feared for the safety of our horses and buildings. That was an exceptional case though. I reported a herd of gypsy cobs whose feet looked like Turkish slippers and within 36 hours, the owner had had all their feet trimmed and was very compliant with the lovely officer from the rspca.

mariew

Visit site
Echo above really. If you would end up in danger or badly affect your life (apart from p**ing off the owner), I would think twice about reporting.

If that is not the case, if you don't feel like you can't talk to the owner I'm not sure that they could be that much of a friend, so actually loosing them over mistreating a horse probably wouldn't be the end of the horse and you could report to whw.

Follysmum

Visit site
I have been in that situation sort of. People in next field to us many years ago didn’t really bother with it , we often gave them friendly advice but ignored everyone . Horse was riddled with worms and owners just basically left the horse to its own devices. I rang the vet and world horse welfare when the horse was down and couldn’t get up and they came and pts as it was so bad .

I wouldn’t ever hesitate to make sure an animal or child was investigated if I thought they needed to be.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Have also been in this situation. Pony was locked in a stable without water during the hottest week of the year. It was a neighbouring field to mine. I lowered water in a bucket through a high up window, it was so bad. The pony was on loan from a charity, so I called them (which instantly identified me as the caller, as none of the house nearby would have known). They came and took the pony back straight away. I did get some backlash - my water trough was tipped over and I got abuse hurled at me and threats later that day. Bad enough that I moved them to a nearby yard that night. Don't regret it for a second. The remaining pony had water left for her (I went back to check). Sadly, they went and bought a shetland foal, which died a year later of tetanus, as they couldn't be bothered to groom, never mind vaccinate him.