I need some advice..

D

Deleted member 150717

are you sure he doesnt have a problem with his feet, he may be fine not ridden but may be sore when he has the extra weight to take......he shouldnt be tripping and 3 to 4 weeks trimming sounds too much to me. there are lots of people on here who know more than me about feet so why not post pictures just of the feet from the side so the balance can be shown and from the underneath... your farrier may not be trimming him correctly, maybe taking the heels too low and leaving the toe too long which could be a reason for tripping. he looks like a lovely horse so try not to do too much too soon....
He doesn’t get them trimmed 3 to 4 weeks the farrier has a look if they need trimming every 3 to 4 weeks. He hasn’t had them done for the 4th time in a row now. So they haven’t been trimmed as he doesn’t need it, for around 16weeks I worked out. I should have made that clearer. When he has the farrier next I’ll ask him for advice. Tbf I ride him at the max 2 times a week, mostly once. And as I say it’s quite a short hack.

D

Deleted member 150717

are you sure he doesnt have a problem with his feet, he may be fine not ridden but may be sore when he has the extra weight to take......he shouldnt be tripping and 3 to 4 weeks trimming sounds too much to me. there are lots of people on here who know more than me about feet so why not post pictures just of the feet from the side so the balance can be shown and from the underneath... your farrier may not be trimming him correctly, maybe taking the heels too low and leaving the toe too long which could be a reason for tripping. he looks like a lovely horse so try not to do too much too soon....
Hes not being over worked if that’s what your trying to say.... he’s had 6 months off in a huge summer field lives in a herd and out 247, so he could grow up and mature and be a 2/3yr (at the time). Also, the occasional ground work lesson in the mean time. He gets ridden once a week and ground work on another day in the week, so defo not over worked. My farrier is excellent does all the horses at my yard and most of the yards around me, he knows what he’s doing... his feet are trimmed correctly he just may need something when worked/ridden.

Visit site
He doesn’t get them trimmed 3 to 4 weeks the farrier has a look if they need trimming every 3 to 4 weeks. He hasn’t had them done for the 4th time in a row now. So they haven’t been trimmed as he doesn’t need it, for around 16weeks I worked out. I should have made that clearer. When he has the farrier next I’ll ask him for advice. Tbf I ride him at the max 2 times a week, mostly once. And as I say it’s quite a short hack.

Is that he hasn't been trimmed in 16 weeks?

Visit site
Self trimming is the ideal for most barefooters, so this doesn't indicate a problem if he's being checked regularly. It's a bit surprising though if he's only ridden twice a week, unless he's walked in hand a lot or has hard standing in his turnout.
I know, especially over winter when feet aren't growing as fast, I just wasn't sure my sleep deprived brain had understood correctly and wanted to check before I responded ?

D

Deleted member 150717

Self trimming is the ideal for most barefooters, so this doesn't indicate a problem if he's being checked regularly. It's a bit surprising though if he's only ridden twice a week, unless he's walked in hand a lot or has hard standing in his turnout.
his feet are in perfect condition as I say they are checked every 3/4 weeks. He’s walked around the concreted yard after he has come in from the field to check him over and build some muscle as the back lady has suggested.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Hes not being over worked if that’s what your trying to say.... he’s had 6 months off in a huge summer field lives in a herd and out 247, so he could grow up and mature and be a 2/3yr (at the time). Also, the occasional ground work lesson in the mean time. He gets ridden once a week and ground work on another day in the week, so defo not over worked. My farrier is excellent does all the horses at my yard and most of the yards around me, he knows what he’s doing... his feet are trimmed correctly he just may need something when worked/ridden.

how did you get that i said he was overworked? my main query was it sounded like he was trimmed every 3 to 4 weeks ,thats what i meant as being too much but you have now clarified that he doesnt get trimmed every time the farrier comes so thats fine, good luck with him

Marigold4

Visit site
I have a 3yr standardbred gelding that I’m currently backing.. he’s had the saddle fitted to him had the back lady less than a week ago, had his teeth done farrier comes every 3-4 weeks regular trimmings (currently barefoot) and the vet has given him the all clear! So my problem his when I’m on him he’s extremely lazy!! I only go out on light hacking currently sticking to a walk. We don’t have a school but we have a riding field, it’s around half an acre to an acre so a bit big to take him out on just yet! He’s barely walking and doesn’t really respond to my leg when i nudge him on. I’ve taken a schooling whip out with me as someone at my yard suggested it. But the thing is I don’t want to make him only respond to the tap on the bum to make him walk on. Doesn’t make a huge difference only makes walk at a decent pace for about 30 seconds then back to slow again. I just want some advice he’s not lazy on the ground trots when you ask him etc. He gallops round the field most of the day like young horses do so he surely can’t be so tired from a light hack?? Also, he trips constantly I don’t know if that’s the surface as it’s not super even but the other horses walk on it no problem. A lady at my yard also said about the stones and him having sore feet?? Would he need shoes on just yet? The farrier said he has lovely feet! Not really sure about that though, as the farrier hasn’t said anything about him haven’t sensitive feet or needing shoes etc. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this. This was him today! View attachment 66390

Marigold4

Visit site
I backed my 4 year old last summer. He started off nice and forward, but then became less and less forward. He moved noticeably better when he had hoofboots on. Vet x-rayed his feet and found some inflammation in his pedal bone caused by the hard ground and his thin soles. Obviously it's not hard ground at the moment, but could his feet be sore? What are his soles/frogs like?

Lovely horse, btw. He looks like he's going to be a lot of fun.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i thought OP was querying about if his feet were sore and he is also tripping so that would point to toes could be too long and we had been asked "does he need shoes" in the original post so no one can give advice without seeing feet close up

Why the pressure to post pictures of the horses hooves? OP has said she’s not concerned about them. Can it just be left at that? ??‍♀️

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The constant tripping gives me pause. I know he’s newly backed, so is the weight on his back throwing him off? I’d be a little ? at that. Is it only on soft ground? God knows I can‘t walk properly on the soggy ground currently.

D

Deleted member 150717

Why the pressure to post pictures of the horses hooves? OP has said she’s not concerned about them. Can it just be left at that? ??‍♀️
Thank you!! I’m sure my farrier would of said something if there was something wrong surely.. seeing as he’s a professional unlike people in the forum. Unless they are a qualified vet or farrier, they may be experienced but not qualified to diagnose him with something or say he needs so and so done with his feet.

D

Deleted member 150717

The constant tripping gives me pause. I know he’s newly backed, so is the weight on his back throwing him off? I’d be a little ? at that. Is it only on soft ground? God knows I can‘t walk properly on the soggy ground currently.
He’s hacked on concrete and its not the most even tbh. I weigh around 8stone so I’m not too heavy for him so he shouldn’t be tripping should he weighs roughly around 450 500kg and 15.1 hands. He might be needing to build some muscle up. Thank you for your response. X

D

Deleted member 150717

As a half Standie owner myself, if he was a rescue you are a very lucky girl!

He's going to be a lovely horse :)
Thank you!. He’s amazing it was so weird he was on the rspca website and they only ever have cobs and only make up to 13hh and he was on there and he was so handsome and tall and a standardbred! So he was so rare to be on the website! It was a no brainer lol here’s a few pics of him on the website. He was listed as a 4yr but when we had the dentist out he was aged around 2 nearly 3yrs. 600E64A0-C4A5-43AC-8DCC-90AD62A3CE7F.jpegE3B54762-46AE-4C32-84C0-ACD0FFDF205D.jpeg4FE33F91-8743-4D7E-BC00-25FB3E1FC89A.jpegB1E37E54-29AC-431B-9854-8664699FA592.jpeg

D

Deleted member 150717

And also as it said on the website when I adopted him from rspca it said he need time out to grass and that’s what we had to do to get him to a healthy weight and recover physically and mentally.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I have a similar horse - I came across this Warwick Schiller video which I thought I could learn from - a way of explaining to your horse what you want!

thats interesting ,there are different ways to reach the same gaol.. i used to walk my youngster in hand with my friends when they hacked out, i was pretty fit then, so when i rode out with them she was used to going forward and i never had a problem when i hacked on my own as she was confident and forward going..

D

Deleted member 150717

how did you get that i said he was overworked? my main query was it sounded like he was trimmed every 3 to 4 weeks ,thats what i meant as being too much but you have now clarified that he doesnt get trimmed every time the farrier comes so thats fine, good luck with him
You said try not to do too much to soon, yeah I know he shouldn’t do too much it made it sound like I was working him too much. You probably didn’t mean it like it sounded. X

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
You said try not to do too much to soon, yeah I know he shouldn’t do too much it made it sound like I was working him too much. You probably didn’t mean it like it sounded. X
i was just trying to advise that with a 3 yr old its best to go slowly and as you had asked questions i assumed you were new to having a youngster and didnt want you to do too much. YCBM who has a similar horse said exactly the same....... you have explained how much you are doing at the momentand that is fine, he will be a lovely horse once he has matured....