I say good bye to Joey

ladyt25

Visit site
Oh, I feel so bad for you and don't know what to say :( You are very brave. the last dog we lost it was all so sudden, she was just 5 and was hit by a car. She was so broken the vets couldnt' do anything. It was horrid as she looked so unhurt but. she was paralysed. Having her PTS was the worst feeling and still upsets me now. She couldn't have lived a happy life like that though, it wasn't her, she was such an active dog. You did what you needed to do and released your dog from the body that was no longer working. It does get easier but it's good to cry and you need to grieve for as long as it takes.

Cas1979

Visit site
You are right, there are no words.

I went to bed last night and I could hear his whining, he did that for attention seeking.

I woke up about 2am and I could hear his claws on the laminate and his panting. I was steering at the door in the hope that he would appear marching, get on the bed and sigh as he did.... but only silence came.

Cas1979

Visit site
As puppy

picture.php

and a week ago

picture.php

and yesterday sunbathing before the time was up

picture.php

Last edited:

Copperpot

Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss. It hurts so much when you loose a beloved dog. All I can say is time does help and it will get better. Not much help right now I know. You let Joey go with dignity and did the best for him. If only dogs could live as long as we do, we would never have to feel the pain of loosing them. RIP Joey, run free at the bridge. Xxx

Nickijem

Visit site
I am so so sorry. When ever we take on an animal we know that there is going to be a time when we will have to lose them. Until that time we should make the most of our time with them and give them the best life we can. You did that for Joey then you allowed him a peaceful and dignified death. He was a lucky boy to have you and you were lucky to have a beautiful dog who loved you. One day you will be able to think of Joey and smile about the life you had together. It takes time but the pain you are suffering now will turn into happy memories. Allow yourself to grieve for Joey as you would if you had lost anyone close to you.
I think of the poem 'give your heart to a dog' by R Kipling (I think) when I am thinking about the dogs I have lost in the past.
Take care of yourself.

Cas1979

Visit site
I am so so sorry. When ever we take on an animal we know that there is going to be a time when we will have to lose them. Until that time we should make the most of our time with them and give them the best life we can. You did that for Joey then you allowed him a peaceful and dignified death. He was a lucky boy to have you and you were lucky to have a beautiful dog who loved you. One day you will be able to think of Joey and smile about the life you had together. It takes time but the pain you are suffering now will turn into happy memories. Allow yourself to grieve for Joey as you would if you had lost anyone close to you.
I think of the poem 'give your heart to a dog' by R Kipling (I think) when I am thinking about the dogs I have lost in the past.
Take care of yourself.

Thanks for these lovely words.

I was trying to prepare myself for this, but no matter what I tried, nothing worked.

All I do is see my baby laying on our bed

picture.php

And I burst into tears cos he's not there anymore....

I wish I'd cuddled him more or given more kisses cos I now miss that so much.

More than 24 hours later and I'm feeling so upset that I don't seem to see light at the end of this tunnel

I see all his toys and things laying over the house and I don't seem to be able to come to terms to pick them up and store them

His smell is lingering in the house as weather is getting warmer and keep feeling he is coming in the lounge to start to ask for his afternoon walk

I can even hear his whining cos Im not paying attention.

Nickijem

Visit site
Cas - I hope you are coping alright. I know it is hard to keep busy but it might help.
You say you wished you cuddled him more - I am sure you gave him loads of cuddles. You need to try to remember that.
Don't expect there to be light at the end of the tunnel yet. But there will be one day. I don't think you ever completely get over losing a dog but you do get used to life without them - it just takes time.
Hold on to the fact that you gave him a great life - he was a lucky boy to have that.
I know it is hellishly painful for you at the moment but 'When you are going through hell - keep going'.
Take care and look after yourself.

Cas1979

Visit site
Thanks for ur words, they are very comforting

Another day is passing by and still miss him. Have started to wash his blankets (they smell wee wee) but they are going back on his bed.

I found myself filling his water bowl this morning.

I hold on to ur words and hope things will get better in time xx

Cedars

Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss. I'm not sure if anyone has posted this (it's still too raw for me to read right through your thread) but this poem literally sustained me in the weeks and months after we lost Chloe. It's by Gene Hill.

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.)

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself.

He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.

His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever—in case I need him. And I expect I will—as I always have. He is just my dog.

Cas1979

Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss. I'm not sure if anyone has posted this (it's still too raw for me to read right through your thread) but this poem literally sustained me in the weeks and months after we lost Chloe. It's by Gene Hill.

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.)

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself.

He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.

His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever—in case I need him. And I expect I will—as I always have. He is just my dog.

Henry, Chloe and Joey are having the time of their life; no sickness, no pain. Just the emptiness they left behind.

Thanks for this lovely poem, it's touched me.

I'm still trying to cope with this and finding it very difficult. 3 days have gone passed and I still think he will be walking in the lounge asking for his afternoon walk and treat. xxx

Oberon

Visit site
I'm sorry for your loss.

I lost my old girl to CDRM last August.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=479876&highlight=cdrm
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=483162&highlight=cdrm
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=557440&highlight=cdrm
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=559921&highlight=cdrm

It was so painful and I could hear her shuffling around the house even when she had gone.

Months later and the pain is replaced with sadness, but I can remember her with joy.

I know I did everything I could to give her a good life and then a peaceful and dignified death - as you did for Joey.

Let yourself grieve now and it will get easier.

Cas1979

Visit site
I'm sorry for your loss.

I lost my old girl to CDRM last August.

It was so painful and I could hear her shuffling around the house even when she had gone.

Months later and the pain is replaced with sadness, but I can remember her with joy.

I know I did everything I could to give her a good life and then a peaceful and dignified death - as you did for Joey.

Let yourself grieve now and it will get easier.

Hi Oberon,

I actually read few of your threads cos I think you were feeling the same around the time.

Joey's symptoms started with clumsy walks, but I didn't think any of it. It wasnt until I took him to the vet last December because he started to lose control of his blade too and had accidents. The vet treated him with some drug to help control it, and when chatting to him I told him about his wobble moments in the park. He had a look as his back paws and said how worn off his claws were. He said would be good idea to do some xrays, so he had them done in Dec and discussed results early Jan 2013.

By then his clumsiness was more than that and vet confirmed he had healthy bones, which meant he had CDRM. I researched the condition and watched videos in you tube as Joey developed the symptoms becoming more and more obvious.

I bought him booties, he went through 5 pairs in 4 months, within 10 days they had holes on the top of them. And had to buy him nappies too cos he was constantly leaking every time he got up

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

From diagnosis to his death we only had 6 months together. CDRM was very aggressive on him but I know he was ready to go cos he wouldn't have left me put nappies or shoes on him, he hated anything like that, however, he didn't care every time I had to put his shoes to go for walk or put on and off his nappies, he didn't fight it.

The picture of his paws was taken last Monday, it broke my heart seeing how badly bruised and cut they were.

When vet saw him on Friday before injecting the drug, he said how badly his back paws were, bleeding everywhere, he hadn't seen them that bad before. I told him that I was using booties for his walks so all that damage was caused at home when walking on the patio and the blood came from taking him from the car to the vet's office.

I hear him all the time, we have a patio door that is kept close when is cold and he would touch it with his paw asking to be let in, I still hear that. Hear the claws on the laminate and his whining when Im not in the same room as he is.

How do you feel now after you baby girl left you???

Have you got another angel to fill the space she left? (not to replace her)

Oberon

Visit site
It was easier for me.

Xara was elderly - I'd had her for 11 years and she was at least 3 when I got her.....

I have Salem, my other, younger dog to hold on to. I was terrified about how he'd cope without Xara (he was very needy about her), but he has blossomed while being the only dog in the household.
It helped me really. There was no point me dragging my bottom lip on the floor when Salem had picked himself up and moved on.

I miss her, but as a family we can laugh now about all the good times and the trouble she got into -

when she got loose and ran rampant around Sainsbury's

the racket she'd make if we left her outside a shop or at the pet groomers

her casual disregard for hubby for the whole decade she lived with us

her refusal to learn the command 'stay'

when she leapt into an RSPCA van full of cats

the way she would only turn left at the end of the road (to the beach) and refuse to turn right

When the pain subsides, you will be able to remember similar exploits of Joey and you will laugh and feel joy at sharing the time with him.

Cas1979

Visit site
It was easier for me.

Xara was elderly - I'd had her for 11 years and she was at least 3 when I got her.....

I have Salem, my other, younger dog to hold on to. I was terrified about how he'd cope without Xara (he was very needy about her), but he has blossomed while being the only dog in the household.
It helped me really. There was no point me dragging my bottom lip on the floor when Salem had picked himself up and moved on.

I miss her, but as a family we can laugh now about all the good times and the trouble she got into -

when she got loose and ran rampant around Sainsbury's

the racket she'd make if we left her outside a shop or at the pet groomers

her casual disregard for hubby for the whole decade she lived with us

her refusal to learn the command 'stay'

when she leapt into an RSPCA van full of cats

the way she would only turn left at the end of the road (to the beach) and refuse to turn right

When the pain subsides, you will be able to remember similar exploits of Joey and you will laugh and feel joy at sharing the time with him.

Just reading this makes me smile, cos Joey also had his funny moments.

I talk to hubby about some of them and I can smile, but when I look at his empty bed, I cant help but to cry.

You were defo lucky to have Salem to help you through this. Im starting to look for another dog but wont be GSD, cos would break my heart if the same happened again. even tho there are tests and breeders are suppose to test their dogs, I cant just rely on that and hope for the best.

Looking for another companion is distracting me and hopefully I'll find my new best friend to share my love and life with.

Thanks Oberon your words have been very comforting

Oberon

Visit site
Glad if I could help at all :).

You will find yourself happy one minute and hysterical the next. Just ride the wave, it's normal.

Maybe help out at a local shelter? You could help walk the dogs and it will give you some interaction with dogs without the commitment of having one at home right now?

Anyway, to cheer you up here is a picture of Xara in happier times, chastising Salem for stealing a cone :D

Cas1979

Visit site
Glad if I could help at all :).

You will find yourself happy one minute and hysterical the next. Just ride the wave, it's normal.

Maybe help out at a local shelter? You could help walk the dogs and it will give you some interaction with dogs without the commitment of having one at home right now?

Anyway, to cheer you up here is a picture of Xara in happier times, chastising Salem for stealing a cone :D

OMG that picture is funny!

Good looking girl she was!

Yes you are right, 1 min Im ok the next I have tears in my eyes or crying really loud for him but I think crying moments have decreased, have started to talk to hubby about him without screaming, sobbing but not screaming as I was on Saturday, the day after.

Thanks again!!! xx

Sealine

Visit site
I have just read this post after reading your reply to the German Shepherd lovers thread.

I'm so sorry that you lost your best friend Joey. He was a beautiful boy.

I wish I could say something to take away your pain. In time it won't feel so raw and, as others have said, you will be able to remember him and smile.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So sorry RIP Joe.

I always say:

You can NEVER replace the one you lost .... What you do in time is open a new place for a new patter of feet.
When one door closes another opens.

Joe will always have his place within you and your memories

The heart has many doors of love. Each animal opens a door like a advent calender.

I know we are living in borrowed time at the moment. Mine has hip displacia and crucial ligament injury , this has gone down hill and he cant place his feet down after you bend them back ( neurological) I am trying Hydro which has helped a lot. But it still not a complete cure.

Animals come into our lives and change them.............. we love them so and miss them so.

Cas1979

Visit site
So sorry RIP Joe.

I always say:

You can NEVER replace the one you lost .... What you do in time is open a new place for a new patter of feet.

Joe will always have his place within you and your memories

The heart has many doors of love. Each animal opens a door like a advent calender.

I know we are living in borrowed time at the moment. Mine has hip displacia and crucial ligament injury , this has gone down hill and he cant place his feet down after you bend them back ( neurological) I am trying Hydro which has helped a lot. But it still not a complete cure.

Animals come into our lives and change them.............. we love them so and miss them so.

This is so much true.

I'm sorry to hear about your furbaby, I know what is like, we want to try everything and anything we get told "may help" with the hope that does help. But when it comes to neurological deceases like CDRM, there is nothing that can be done. Until science finds a way to prevent the deceased from developing or appearing. If they haven't found it for MND in humans, very little hope there is for CDRM.

Thanks for your words, is actually comforting reading your comments, which I have more than once trying t distract my mind.

I was meant to go back to work today I couldn't face it... hope I can come out of this hole soon.xx