I think Hi Viz should be law...

Pedantic

Visit site
It think it should be law to be in a minimum of hi viz gear and lighting when on a bike or riding a horse, anyone that doesn't is being totally selfish in that they are putting the animal at risk, plus how is the driver going to feel injuring a horse and rider through no real fault of their own other than they didn't see you because it was raining on a dark unlit lane and your on a dark horse in dark clothing against a dark background, there are plenty of twats on the road who shouldn't be driving to start with, but then they will drive stupid anyway, lets think of the average driver and give them a fair chance to start with.

lillie

lilliedodger.proboards99.com
i was watching 'a stable life' (on animal planet) today & tehre were 4 riders going for a hack & the narrator made comments abut being in London hard to find 'green' areas & that they had to cross a busy road to get to galloping areas & only 1 had a floures jacket on & it wasnt even that person who went into the middle of the road to stop the traffic so they could go across!

suzysparkle

Visit site
Well, I have never seen another rider my way with any on. I always weatrhigh vis and all I ever do is cross 2 roads. What if I fell off and my Horse got loose on the road?? So, he wears some as well. We are on rural fast roads and sandwiched between 2 very busy RAF bases.
Even in good weather, a horse and rider can easily blend into the background. It's not just nutters we need to worry about, it's elderly drivers whose reactions may not be so fast. How about if you fall and are badly hurt out on the hills...you'll be found a heck of a lot quicker with it on. I like having mine on in the woods as walkers see me faster.
It's a no brainer, regardless of where you hack. It shouldn't need to be law. It's common sense. Why risk insurance not paying out as well.

clipclop

Visit site
I feel very strongly about this.

Around here the lanes are narrow and the hedges are high. I found even a rider with a vest on isn't enough as you don't tend to be focusing on rider height. (Especially when on a tall dark horse).

Because of this I bought "S" a breatplate hi viz thingy and two high viz leg wraps for his back legs as well as me wearing a vest.

I have noticed drivers are slowing down quicker than ever. I think I am gaining an extra 2 seconds of driver attentiopn due to those two extra bits of hi viz.

I was quite glad that it wasn't just me who drives and focuses at car height.
smile.gif

Allykat

Visit site
Totally agree. There are so many riders at my yard that hack out without and it makes me cringe
frown.gif
I even notice the difference when I hack out with just a tabard and when I go out fully togged out. You can be seen and drivers are more likely to slow down!

Twilight

Visit site
T and I do a glowing special when we are out - not just on the roads but round the bridlepaths to. Although farms are not very busy places the tractor drivers do appreciate being able to see you early - they are more likely to catch a bright yellow glimmer out of the corner of their eye and either stop the machinery our wait out of range for you. I have had a couple of local farming associates come up to me and say they wished more rideres wore their high vis when on the fields. Just something to bare in mind for those of you who only where high vis on the road.

With regards grey horses I am paranoid that my boy is road coloured. Ok he is gradually getting whiter but when I see my sister out on him especially from the front he is nearly invisable (especially in the village where there are other distractions for the eye). That is why he wears a bright yellow sheet in bad light and has glowing legs too.

hadfos

Visit site
Agree completely,have just kitted my lad out with everything,lol!!No were you are coming from!!I was driving down a fast road and out of nowhere girl dressed in brown and black on a dark chestnut horse came into view far to late(no didnt hit them,but how i dont know)I only saw them at last minute because she had long blonde hair!!!Was the only thing that stood out!!What a pratt is all i can say!Pity any poor bugger that has hitting a horse and rider with no hi vis on their concscience for the rest of their days!!!With all the gear available today there is just no excuse to not have it or to not wear it if you do have it!!!

hadfos

Visit site
I even wear it in the summer now,NO excuse if a driver hits you in broad daylight when you are covered in high vis!!!!If anyone hits my horse i want them to suffer and if i am covered to the nines in high vis i have covered myself!!!!

Natch

Visit site
Please think twice if you think that because you have a light or bright coloured horse you don't need high viz, same goes for summer, yes the conditions should be better to see you but the amount of times I have nearly not seen horses of many different colours (you'd be amazed at what blends in to hedgerows and fields backgrounds, greys especially)

What if you get caught out at dusk? has happened to me with the best will in the world it could happen to any of us.

I wear high vis tabard as standard and horse wears breastplate and sometimes reflective exercise sheet too.

I DO wish they'd make it more fashionable though. I'm sure the reason people don't wear it is because its "not cool". Oh, so being hit and killed IS cool then???

By the way in response to those who don't think seeing it will affect an irresponsible driver, Police, ambulance, RAC, Fire brigade etc etc all wear high vis - we are conditioned to think that when we see blue lights or High Viz it means police or another emergency service. What is our first response if we think we have seen a policeman or police car on the roads? "I'll just make sure I'm driving safely and legally so I won't attract their attention"

I'd say the initial subconscious reaction to seeing a bit of non-specific high viz would be the very same reaction - approach with caution - regardess as to if they give a damn about horses or not. and if they speed up again once they've realised its a horse and not a policeman, then at least they have seen and slowed down even for a second or two, making their average speed past you slower and their awareness that you are there 100% more improved.

as bright eyes said, they won't want to scratch their motor!

suestowford

Visit site
I used to ride a bike every day to get to work. I was smothered in hi-viz clothing yet still got hit by a driver who didn't see me (in broad daylight).

However, I do agree that it should be worn, and that it should be a requirement, just pointing out that idiots abound whether behind the wheel of a car or on a bike, or a horse. I would also like to add pedestrians to the list - I often pass a young man who walks along the main road (there are no pavements) wearing grey clothes. I only saw him the other day at the last minute because he blends in with the hedge so well.

Parkranger

Visit site
I really need to wear it more often - I'm very bad at not putting it on.

Think it stems from the fact that I haven't ridden for so many years and no body wore it years ago....

So, new years resi I'll wear it more often... x

kick_On

Visit site
sorry that's rubbish IMO..................... about lack of horse welfare - I will wear hi-viv if condition require, but not always and making it law will NOT SLOW DRIVERS DOWN OR REDUCE ACCIDENTS as i say around my way it doesn't make a dot of different.

BUT IMO THERE SHOULD BE MORE EDUCATION FOR DRIVERS but this would more difficult to do and it would be easy just to pass a law to make us wear hi-viz than sort out bad driving...

IMO driving should be a previlage(sp) not a right and there should be more testing and re-test ever 5year so folk could bush up on there road awarness

How many of you honestly drive to fast along country roads around bends??????????? eat whilst driving, mess around with CD player etc...................

IMO i would look forward to brushing up my skills but would everyone else????????????????

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
I agree with Weezy that Hi Viz should be as natural a thing to put on yourself and your horse as a hat/saddle/bridle is.

I also hack out looking like a Christmas tree- tabard, exrecise sheet and red LED light flashing leg bands on horse (certainly gets people's attention in cars, even if they are smiling/laughing as they drive past!).

We wear this anytime we are riding on the road- winter or summer. There is a range of clothing I've seen in my local saddlery , Luna Rider (http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/High_Visability_Clothing.html) which is a more tailored fit and much nicer than the traditional "workies" jackets and vests.

Also, try a local cycling shop. I saw lots of womens clothing in one yesterday that was smart, tailored and really nice. T-shirts, jumpers, jackets, gilets, all in hi viz yellow with reflective stripes and a lot more glam than the older stuff.

I agree that it would help if some of the big name riders that people look up to started promoting hi viz, I wonder who would have the weight to try get that started?

Yes, drivers need to take care and pay attention, but any other road user needs to protect themselves (and their animals) as much as they can and take responsibility for making themselves as visible to other road users as possible.

TGM

Visit site
You don't seem to really understand the issue - I'm not saying that wearing hi-viz miraculously makes all drivers slow down, but wearing it ensures you are SEEN - if a driver can't see you until the last minute then he/she has less chance to avoid you. I believe the majority of drivers do not want to collide with a horse, even if it is only to protect their own vehicle.

Which horse would you rather be in this picture:

riding1.jpg

Hi Viz is necessary in all weathers - even in bright sunshine the dark shadows cast by hedges and trees can camouflage a horse and rider.

kerilli

Visit site
totally agree. it should be compulsory. shame on those who don't wear it tbh, i could never ever forgive myself if my horse or, god forbid, a person got injured/killed and i hadn't done everything i could to be as visible as possible.

kick_On

Visit site
i agree that hi-viz person stands and on a dark/wet day on would wear my hi-viz stuff
But on a clear lovely bright day with good visablilty i'll choose not too.
BUT on this lane a good car drivers shouldn't drive fast as they should use the rule when you have blind bends - "CAN I STOP IF THERE IS A TRACTOR AROUND NEXT BEND"

but BAD driver will be doing speed limit 60mph (or more) and we both know they can't stop in time, so wear hi-viz wouldn't make a dot to this type of driver - that's why i feel the drivers needs to be sort and rider need to use common sense

and wearing a hi-viz will not do anything to help out bad driving ONLY EDUCATION can - IMO

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

But on a clear lovely bright day with good visablilty i'll choose not too.

[/ QUOTE ] But as I said in my post above, even on a clear, bright day you can be invisible in the shadows of trees/hedges without hi viz.

I agree drivers shouldn't speed on country roads, but I can't stop them doing that. What I can do is to ensure that by wearing Hi Viz they see me and my horse three seconds earlier and are able to take avoiding actions.

As an example, two preoccupied drivers driving at 60mph down identical country lanes. They come round a corner and both see a rider on a horse. One horse has Hi Viz on and one doesn't. As a result the Hi Viz horse is spotted three seconds earlier - if all other factors are equal, which driver is more at risk of hitting the horse?

kick_On

Visit site
i don't think we are going to agree,
but i do speek from some experince who has to ride on twisting country lanes, to get to any bridleways. And i have found it doesn't make a dot of different to what i wear ( i could be naked
blush.gif
) on drivers speed, they are either going to be educated and slow down or be rude and aggressive and speed up.

Your example both show that eduction is the key and your last one would defo improve with knowing NOT TO DRIVE around bend without enough stopping distance just in case something was in road stopped ie tractor, van, horses............. etc. and eduction folks to take note of things like fresh mud, diesel spill or fresh horse dropping they can give drivers clues to whats around next bend ......

TGM

Visit site
Well I do agree on you one point - drivers SHOULD be better educated. However, that doesn't negate the need for riders to wear Hi Viz. Even when driving at a sensible speed I have been surprised to see a dark clad cyclist or horse rider suddenly loom out of the shadows at close quarters. Even a sensible driver is at danger of hitting you if they can't see you.

kick_On

Visit site
Even when driving at a sensible speed I have been surprised to see a dark clad cyclist or horse rider suddenly loom out of the shadows at close quarters

But i don't feel that i shouldn't be law and it's personnel choice - Horses, cyclist, tractors,walkers etc have the same rights be to on that road and i didn't think car should be KING and when in countryside driver need to be aware that there are other types of users

Add here another thought went to the 'big light of the city' at weekend, and pedrestrains (sp) can pop out from anywhere
blush.gif
with dark clothes on - do you suggest that every one wear hi-viz! to help drivers

TGM

Visit site
Well you could argue that at least the pedestrian has the choice to take the risk whether they should wear Hi Viz or not, the poor horse doesn't have that option and can only hope that his rider will put some Hi Viz on him so he can be clearly seen.

TGM

Visit site
Well if motorised vehicles had been around during prehistoric times, perhaps humans would have evolved with built-in hi viz!
grin.gif

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
i can answer this as i cant advertise as have a new hi viz product compeletely new to the horse industry but some insurances companies will not insure you unless you visable on the roads

the horse related accidents have risen to about 3000 a year

kick_On

Visit site
i think you need to read my earlier postings............ and IMO i think that's crass of insurance companies............ as i have found it makes 'NO DIFFERENCE WHAT I WEAR TO SLOW IRROGANT SPEEDING DRIVER DOWN...................'
EDUCATION OF DRIVERS IS KEY.................. but government will not do this a it's to much of a 'hot potato' to do
and buying your new product IMO is not really going to change those drivers. It might make us riders feel better, but it's not stop the really protagonist of problem SPEEDING DRIVERS