I think Hi Viz should be law...

happy_talk

Visit site
I was talking to someone at weekend about this- are drivers getting lazier/less observant with more and more people wearing hi-viz?? interesting thought- but i'm not about to go and sharpen up some senses!!!!

jumpthemoon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i personnel don't think wear a hi viz vest has any difference on speeding cars it just make us riders feel happier

[/ QUOTE ]

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is fact that if someone is speeding along a country lane, goes round a bend and spots a horse with no HV, they will process the thought llike this...
*what's that?
*oh, it's a horse
*better slow down....

If the rider is wearing HV, the thought process will be like this...
*Argh! Slow down...
*what is it?
*oh, it's a horse...

Even if it doesn't slow EVERY driver down, it might slow down the one that would have otherwise ploughed into the back of your horse
frown.gif

smile.gif

jojo2305

Visit site
Hi-viz is fab, okay so pony & I may look ridiculous dressed up like a neon yellow beacon but I'd rather than than being hit by a car, or anythign else for that matter, just because my black horse blended in too well. I also wear hi-viz, though not so much, if I'm hacking off road. I figure if I come off and need finding I'll be easier to see with a hi-viz vest on. I was also pulled over on the road by two local pilots who thanked me for wearing hi-viz, apparently with the hi-viz on its alot easier for them to identify us as a horse & rider and thus avoid flying over us as much as possible.

Happytohack

Visit site
I have been spouting on about the importance of hi viz for at least 15 years. I am the only one in my area that actually wears it all the time. Interestingly, the local dog walkers have taken my lead and many of them now wear jackets and the dogs have hi viz coats. One man stopped me and told me that he had seen me riding in the distance in my hi viz jacket and went out and bought one! I just do not understand why people will not wear it - I can only assume they value their horse so little and their fashion sense so much.

Boxers

Visit site
I agree. My daughter always wears a hi-viz vest when she goes out.

At Xmas she bought her 3 horsey friends on our yard (among other nic-naks) hi-viz hat bands.

Later on that day I found 2 of them on the floor of the tack room discarded. When I asked the kids whose they were the two did own up and said they wouldn't be seen dead in them cos they weren't cool and would make thier 'very expensive' hats look stupid!

My reply was that they were going to look a whole lot more stupid when they and their ponies were squashed into stawberry jam on the roads! I got several pairs of eyes rolled at me!

It's up to them - if I were their parents I would tell them to wear hi-viz - my duaghter does and she's not bothered about being 'cool' or not.

hussar

Visit site
Hear Hear! I live in a very rural area with a lot of riders, cyclist and dog walkers, and the number who wear hi-viz of any kind is tiny. I always go out with at least a tabard or hi-viz jacket on, and if I have time I put reflective boots on my horse. But the number of near-misses I've had while driving is quite scary.

The worst was a male rider out on a dark horse in dark clothing, hatless, with 2 dark dogs running loose - and there was so little light I was on headlights.

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want to gain 2-3 seconds of braking time... which is what hi-viz gives you.

Touchwood

www.touchwoodstud.co.uk
I don't really do a huge amount of roadwork and don't really go out with HiViz, I always make sure I have something white/bright coloured on though. Its got naf all to do with 'fashion' as someone else said, I just only ever go out on deserted roads where most drivers seem to be sensible about horses - lucky I know.

I don't agree with making it law, this country has enough laws as it is, and I disagree with having a nanny state.

jumpthemoon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Its got naf all to do with 'fashion' as someone else said, I just only ever go out on deserted roads where most drivers seem to be sensible about horses - lucky I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's not in your case, but there are a lot of people out there who don't wear t because it doesn't look cool. I know the kind of roads you mean, but sadly most people aren't in that position and have to hack on very busy main roads. Hi-Viz is a life saver in these situations. I agree with you that we have too many laws already - which is why I made the comments about fashion - I think it would be a better route to go down than carting people off to court for not wearing a tabbard
crazy.gif

Capriole

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know the kind of roads you mean, but sadly most people aren't in that position and have to hack on very busy main roads.

[/ QUOTE ]

am thinking about that, and i actually think riding on a busy main road is probably safer than a windy country lane where people think they can 'safely' put their foot down, not expecting the country to be full of country things like riders, sheep, cows etc..

jumpthemoon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know the kind of roads you mean, but sadly most people aren't in that position and have to hack on very busy main roads.

[/ QUOTE ]

am thinking about that, and i actually think riding on a busy main road is probably safer than a windy country lane where people think they can 'safely' put their foot down, not expecting the country to be full of country things like riders, sheep, cows etc..

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with you completely - except for the really small lanes I assume touchwood is talking about where you hardly ever get a car and there are open fields either side and cattle grids/gates all over the place. Roads like that tend not to be used as through routes, so the drivers are local and more considerate. In general though, I'd rather ride through a busy village than a down a country lane...
smile.gif

Capriole

Visit site
theres a route i used to take where on the way back we had to come down a steep hill on aa lane, my heart was always in my mouth as i dropped from visibility on the road behind me - one of my ffreinds and her freind had an accident somewhere up there and the horses were killed so i havent been that way again

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I always go out with so much hi-viz on that I suspect I can be seen from space! I have one of those long hi-viz jackets and 2 walkers have told me that they thought I was a copper which can't be a bad thing. When I fell off out hacking last week although not really hurt I was stuck in the field and my friends said it was great that they spotted me straight away.

kick_On

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i personnel don't think wear a hi viz vest has any difference on speeding cars it just make us riders feel happier

[/ QUOTE ]

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is fact that if someone is speeding along a country lane, goes round a bend and spots a horse with no HV, they will process the thought llike this...
*what's that?
*oh, it's a horse
*better slow down....

If the rider is wearing HV, the thought process will be like this...
*Argh! Slow down...
*what is it?
*oh, it's a horse...

Even if it doesn't slow EVERY driver down, it might slow down the one that would have otherwise ploughed into the back of your horse
frown.gif

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

disagree

you're assuming that the 'speeding car cares '

Speaking from someone who rides regulary on lanes IMO it doesn't make a dot to bad drivers!!!!

RunToEarth

Visit site
I don't wear Hi-Viz very often, I have a bright red semex jacket which stands out against everything bar a parcelforce lorry, and when my friend and I got stuck on moorland allowed me to get recognised by the rescue heli, so I think it does its job as well as. I have seen a lot of riders around me hacking out with no hi-viz out this week, where it is very foggy up near us.
Now I understand the importance of exercising horses, really I do, I need mine to be fit for hunting, but hi-viz regardless, why the hell would anybody put themselves and their horses in so much danger by hacking out in fog when we have as many bridleways as we do around me. I can do a 5hour hack and only cross the road once, so why people feel the need to hack about on roads in this crap weather I can't imagine, must be some kind of statement. I'll wear Hi-viz if I think I need it, but I think its more a case of common sense, more riders (at least near me) need to realise that hi;viz does not glow up in thick fog.

kick_On

Visit site
i agree Rosiie,

as i stated earlier wearing hi-viz is for rider confidence aswell as info normal drivers. But it does give some riders the aires that everyone now will see me and slow down, not matter what the conditions are....

my answer to that is errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr NO

happyhack

Visit site
and effing walkers too!!! Have stopped and had choice words with a few who are walking their dogs all dressed in black with just a poxy torch!!!!!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I definitely agree about high viz. I would also like cycle helmets to be law for everyone not just under 14s. I have to admit to double standards cos I don't wear one but insist my son does. However he has now turned 14 and is the only one amongst his friends who does still wear his helmet. I have a constant battle as of course it is not "cool". If everyone had to wear them it would be so much simpler.

Weezy

Visit site
QR: I cannot believe some people think the onus should be on the car drivers to be all watchful - absolutely GOBSMACKED
mad.gif
I am a car driver, a horse rider and I used to ride my bike around London... I drive VERY considerately around rural roads because I KNOW the liklihood of me coming across a rider is high...but FFS, I am FED UP of having to peer into the distance because the shape I can see up ahead, camoflagued in the bushes *could* be a rider - if said rider had hi viz on then I would KNOW there was something ahead...5 times this week alone I have seen riders out in dusk/bad light/etc - and it is only because of MY consideration as a driver that I haven't collided with them.

Marnie

Visit site
I always wear Hi Viz after a friend's horse was killed on the road. I also think about where I am going to hack according to the conditions, for example I won't turn right out of the yard early in the morning when the sun is low as you are riding straight into it and the sun dazzles drivers so that it is difficult to see, hi viz or not.

I also wear a hi viz hat cover, we ride around lanes with bends, and the hats can be seen before going around the bends. I also put hi viz on the horse - legs, bridle, martingale and tail guard - I had a lowered Peugeot and found that it was often the hi viz on the horse that I saw rather than the rider in some cases due to being so low.

I don't care if I don't look trendy, just want to give my horse and me a better chance!!

[image]
Marnie2.jpg
[/image]

Starbucks

Visit site
I don't wear hi-viz!
shocked.gif

In my defense I only hack 200 yards down the road in broad daylight, but I know i should.... although I do wonder what difference it makes when viability is ok??

D

Donkeymad

I agree. However, last year there was a Petition on No 10 to ask for this, it got 9 signatures
confused.gif

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I always wear hi viz gear despite the RAF and USAF totally ignoring me when I ride out and still flying too low directly over me and my youngster with their Chinnook Helipcopters. I now believe that atleast if I did fall of and die my Mother could try to sue for negligence.
Always wear hi viz on the road, as Mr T is dark and I don't want cars to have an excuse. Pretty sure I read somewhere that it invalidates your insurance in the event of accident if you don't wear it.

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking from someone who rides regulary on lanes IMO it doesn't make a dot to bad drivers!!!!

[/ QUOTE ] But it does make a difference to good drivers, and also to drivers who aren't actually uncaring but just don't expect to see a horse around a corner. I know myself that whilst out driving and obeying the speed limit I have rounded the corner and taken a while to spot the cyclist/horse rider camouflaged against the hedge. If they had been wearing hi viz I would have seen them immediately.

Personally, I think that anyone who doesn't wear hi viz whilst hacking out on the roads does not have their horse's best welfare at heart.

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't wear hi-viz!
shocked.gif

In my defense I only hack 200 yards down the road in broad daylight, but I know i should.... although I do wonder what difference it makes when viability is ok??

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't wear it all the time - to go up the lane to the school for example (but it is a T road and very seldom used) - I also tend to use it more in the winter than the summer...I wouldn't dream of going on our road hack without it in the winter - even tho one part is a very straight road, it is usually there that riders blend into the hedges.

In your defence S, Badger is grey, so you have something on your side
wink.gif

mickey

Visit site
Have only read OP, but I totally agree. I was on a yard a few yrs back where the owner wouldn't let us leave for a hack without a fluorescent on. I used to get quite annoyed!
shocked.gif

I have nearly run several cyclists over this winter, no lights, no fluorescents, nothing.
crazy.gif

And I have tried to explain to those at the yard that in summer the sun can completely blind a driver so you still need them then!

Eaglestone

Visit site
Please please please everyone who may not wear HiViz, wear something that can be seen .. think of your horse, if not yourself, I never go out without it, even if I am off road for the entire ride
ooo.gif

If I see a rider out without it I just want to stop and shout at them ... Please think about your horse !!!
blush.gif

jesterfaerie

Visit site
It totally agree, everyone should wear them!
Thankfully at uni you either wear hi viz or you don't hack! I was once on a bus coming home at night a year or so ago and it was pitch black, drove past a horse hacking, not a single bit of hi viz on it or the rider, who was wearing dark clothing and the horse itself was dark, I coudln't believe it!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Quote "disagree

you're assuming that the 'speeding car cares '

Speaking from someone who rides regulary on lanes IMO it doesn't make a dot to bad drivers!!!! "

Maybe not, but they might care enough about their car not to drive into you. If they see you in time.

Weezy - I can't believe this is up for discussion. Would you give a baby a carving knife to play with?
crazy.gif

If the riders who don't wear the gear for whatever reasons get squished, it isn't just they who suffer. Maybe an innocent driver (genuinely not speeding and paying proper attention, simply failing to spot almost invisble pedestrians) or their innocent horse (more likely) pays the price for their lack of common sense.

My hi-viz get up? Think Christmas tree. Saved my horse's life once