I was amazed..................................

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I think it's brilliant. I half trained old pony to do it, but only because I knew when he would pee (as soon as I put him on a clean bed). half the battle was getting him used to the noise!
I hope to train current pony to do it, but he doesnt really have any regular peeing patterns so it might be a tad tricky.

jemima

Visit site
My big cob won't do it to order but will happily pee in a bucket if you present one when he's getting ready. He's much happier if you put a good handfull of bedding (or a few mucked out poos) in it first though.

Kezza

Visit site
I went to see a potential horse who had been trained to pee like that, I was a tad worried about whether it could pee without the bucket though i.e. does it hold it in till the bucket is there cause that can't be good for them...

MillionDollar

Visit site
There was an article in a magazine a while ago on this. There was this one HUGE yard where every horse was taught to only wee and poo on some shavings in the corner of the stable. Their bed were straw so all it required when mucking out was to remove the shavings- amazing!!! It takes a lot of time and patient though to teach them this.

Rupert2006

Visit site
my gelding pees as soon as he gets into his clean stable, so i stuck a bucket under him to catch the pee and he didn't bat an eyelid - I do it when I remember but he is so fast that I am not quick enough with my bucket!

riotgirl

Visit site
My girlie does it. I haven't quite got her to do it on command yet, but she is quite happy for me to whack a bucket under her when she adopts the postion. Yes, it is quite odd, but it saves on the bedding.

Horseymum

Visit site
My mare wees in a bucket as soon as she goes into her stable and sticks her head into her tea/breakfast! Even if she doesn't really need to go she still tries for me. It certainly makes a big difference to her bedding.

Laur

Visit site
Yep my horse does it. I use one of those scoops with the handle so it doesnt splash on you and you can move it when the horse moves.

Hornby

Visit site
Both my mare and gelding do it....just need to be very consistent, my trigger for them is to take them into stable after grooming, don't let them get straight to the hay, tuneless whistle - only sort I can do - and wait. Lots of praise afterwards - hay and food provided. I can ask my mare to wee before loading for a show; saves mess!

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
Our filly poo's in her water bucket but its nothing to do with training her :p

What she does do is poo on the part of the stable that doesnt have her bedding on it . Her bed is fantastic to clean out
laugh.gif

spooks

Visit site
when my current livery yard was a riding school,all the horses peed in a bucket as soon as they were put in the stables...when the riding school horses started dying off (was owned by current YO's grandmother for 50 yrs) she started to get a few liveries in and they to were taught to pee in buckets,it didnt take very long for them to learn..i might try it our two,esp otto as his stable is like a flippin river every morning,he is also on rubber matting