Ideas for moveable hay feeders

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
For next winter I’d like some sort of manually moveable cheapish hay feeders. I’m thinking heavy duty plastic or maybe wooden frame. They’d have to be light enough for me to move by hand periodically although I’d expect to have to weigh down with bricks or to be pegged down. It would be big enough for one horses daily hay ration and I’d need two minimum probably.

I’ve been feeding on the ground but lots gets wasted. I’ve also used haynets on the parts of fencing that isn’t electrified but it gets really muddy.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Someone on here used pallets to make a hay box for the field...there was a picture..I thought it was a blummin good idea.

fairhill

Visit site
I’ve used an old Guinea pig hutch in the past, with the lid removed. It fitted a small bale, kept the hay off the ground and when it rained most of the water drained out the wire side. I’ve used with haynets tied inside too for when it was very windy.
I’ve seen photos of wooden cots used too, with the sides tied together in the middle to make a V-shape.
Might be worth keeping an eye on local free cycle or selling sites to pick up something 2nd hand.

J&S

Visit site
Man next door to our paddock rebuilt his house recently and he has given me two big wooden boxes that had contained tiles. They are perfect for hay feeders as even I can move them and they hold quite a bit when full. They can eat from the top of boxes or out of the openings in the sides. Go and look for some house building locally! I actually think I have seen them for sale on Ebay. Just check out "hay feeders".

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Someone on here used pallets to make a hay box for the field...there was a picture..I thought it was a blummin good idea.

Yes I think Ashetlandbitmeonce made one for her stable. I’m not that handy really and have no useful tools. I think by the time I’ve bought everything I could buy one ready made ? but I’d like to give it a go. Also got wrist tendinitis as the moment which limits me.

Leo Walker

Visit site

I've done that I have a square pallet kind of size hay feeder for the field, it takes loads of hay and can be dragged about

I've previously used wheelie bins in the stable which work amazingly well. You wheel them to be filled and then wheel them back. Super easy and mess free!

I'm also picking up 2 compost bins tomorrow morning to make feeders for the area just outside my stables.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
I use one of the mortar buliders buckets white plastic easily cleaned and moved perfect for 2/3 horses can get them sometimes on eBay as expensive from builders merchants

Attachments

• 39B05972-EF0A-44C6-86FB-AA65BA7B728E.jpeg
    39B05972-EF0A-44C6-86FB-AA65BA7B728E.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 40

meleeka

Visit site
Man next door to our paddock rebuilt his house recently and he has given me two big wooden boxes that had contained tiles. They are perfect for hay feeders as even I can move them and they hold quite a bit when full. They can eat from the top of boxes or out of the openings in the sides. Go and look for some house building locally! I actually think I have seen them for sale on Ebay. Just check out "hay feeders".
I have tile crates too. They are usually cheap or free and last for ages. I did reinforce the with with wooden batten as there are small nails at eye level which I wanted to cover.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/freebies/...-slab-crates-6xroofing-tile-crates/1315617421

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Most of our liveries use the wooden crates or boxes made from pallets, we have a carpenter at the yard who makes them for us, unfornately one of my horses tends to chew wood so thats why I went for the plastic tub, easy to wash out too.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I've previously used wheelie bins in the stable which work amazingly well. You wheel them to be filled and then wheel them back. Super easy and mess free!

This is what we’re planning to do on our winter hard standing/track next winter. The plan is to cut a hole in the bottom at the front for them to eat out of, then we’ll have two fence posts close together for them to be attached to so they don’t get knocked over/moved.

I’m also on the lookout for an ex tile crate, they’re tough wooden crates with open tops. Perfect for hay feeders.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
The paving slab / tile crates look promising. The only thing I worry about is them getting a leg stuck through. Anyone had any issues with this?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
They are lovely TPO! I think I need something more moveable though.

@Sussexbythesea i guess you could put a few more rails around the crates and fill the gaps a bit, stop legs going in and some of the hay blowing out.

I actually used black plastic dustbins, that rats had chewed holes in the bottom of- so they drained water, and bungee corded them to the gate last winter!

phizz4

Visit site
I made these.
Get some cheap decking from Wickes etc, and 2 inch square fence post that has been treated. Sides are 75 cm long, with 4 cm gaps between for ventilation. Ours are 4 panels high but you can have as many as you want. Total cost including screws and glue was £75 for the two. No base to allow for drainage and nothing for them to catch a hoof in if they tip them over (which the haven't done yet). To move them just tip them onto their side and roll them. A morning to cut everything to size at home and pre-drill panels, then about an hour to assemble them in the field with a cordless screwdriver.
IMG-20200507-WA0001.jpg

Leo Walker

Visit site
I made these.
Get some cheap decking from Wickes etc, and 2 inch square fence post that has been treated. Sides are 75 cm long, with 4 cm gaps between for ventilation. Ours are 4 panels high but you can have as many as you want. Total cost including screws and glue was £75 for the two. No base to allow for drainage and nothing for them to catch a hoof in if they tip them over (which the haven't done yet). To move them just tip them onto their side and roll them. A morning to cut everything to size at home and pre-drill panels, then about an hour to assemble them in the field with a cordless screwdriver.
View attachment 46711

you can make them for free. You need 2 pallets. Strip the wood off one and use the other as the base. The only cutting you need to do is the 4 corner bits

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've just managed to nab 2 tile/paving crates for free from FB marketplace, just round the corner and on my way to the yard. Now would be a good time to look as everyone is going mad doing DIY!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I've just managed to nab 2 tile/paving crates for free from FB marketplace, just round the corner and on my way to the yard. Now would be a good time to look as everyone is going mad doing DIY!

I’ve looked and nothing local to me but I’m going to ask on local pages. Do you think they’d fit in the back of a Golf with the seat down? Otherwise I can’t collect them.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Hmm, maybe? They are the same length and width as a pallet, then you have the added height of the sides. Maybe check the car measurements first. We have loads of man with van type people near me who will do a pick up and drop off within 10 miles for about £30 so you could look at something like that maybe if needs be

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Hmm, maybe? They are the same length and width as a pallet, then you have the added height of the sides. Maybe check the car measurements first. We have loads of man with van type people near me who will do a pick up and drop off within 10 miles for about £30 so you could look at something like that maybe if needs be

I looked earlier and none - just looked again and someone’s just put some on Marketplace. They’ll even deliver! They say they’re a metre by a metre. I’ll message in the morning.

pinkypug1

Visit site
I use large plastic fruit crates. They are easily to clean, heavy enough to not need fixed or weighed down but light enough to move around. They have lots of tiny holes so don’t hold the water and are large enough to hold haylage to feed 2 horses and 2 ponies for a day when out in a sparse winter paddock. The bonus for me was also that my mini can’t reach in so she can scavenge the bits that the big horses drop or try pick out from the tiny holes so keeps place tidy and keeps weight down

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The paving slab / tile crates look promising. The only thing I worry about is them getting a leg stuck through. Anyone had any issues with this?
not getting a leg through, but my troublesome oldie got in hers and got stuck. She has form for that though, she gets into everything she shouldn't do!