Ideas for training the traumatised, reactive horse…

Caol Ila

Visit site
I was just curious!

Being able to be mounted smoothly from the ground is an essential part of education for us. When whips are dropped, the youngster you are leading wraps themselves around something, your pony gets a stone in their hoof, the one you are on decides they absolutely cannot go past whatever they have seen without your on the ground help, or a downed tree necessitates scrambling up a bank or through the undergrowth to get around (and if I am not sure of the ground I will go first on foot - better me put my foot in a hole than they do!) - then remounting from the ground (or some random ledge if there is one available) is a necessity. None of us struggle to get on, and no one sits down heavily. It’s quick, light and easy. I do appreciate that I am getting back on something under 14hh though!

Willow is already brilliant at standing still in random places while I put a foot in the stirrup and jump up. I swap sides regularly and we don’t do much each day, but the groundwork is being set. I have no wish to ever get off over an hour from home to do a tricky gate and have to walk all the way back!
I hear you. I know mounting from the ground isn’t ideal in an English (treeless) saddle, but both my horses are good at it. I’ve had tack fails out that I’ve had to jump off and fix. Scary things that I’ve had to lead past. And a £10 note spotted in the bushes that I sure as hell wasn’t going to leave, was I.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Can anyone recommend any good, waterproof, supportive walking boots? Willow didn’t want to turn around and come home today, was having too much fun. My feet were killing me though.
These boots are inexpensive, really comfortable and waterproof. Size is bang on and after buying several pairs of expensive makes over the years these are the only ones I’ll buy now (I go through two pairs of boots a year due to the amount of walking I do and the abuse they get).

IMG_8727.png

maya2008

Visit site
These boots are inexpensive, really comfortable and waterproof. Size is bang on and after buying several pairs of expensive makes over the years these are the only ones I’ll buy now (I go through two pairs of boots a year due to the amount of walking I do and the abuse they get).

View attachment 133269
They look good! Thank you for the recommendation.

maya2008

Visit site
Well today at first went really, really well. Getting on was easy. Getting off was ok. Still a work in progress. First few steps - wobbly but fine. Then got confident and was walking really quite fast! So that’s all the good stuff.

Then…as she was standing still munching carrots, I picked up the left rein and just lightly tugged on it. Featherlight touch. And then we found a trigger I’d missed. She just ran. Husband did his best to hold her, then had to drop the rope. Nicely trained to ground tie as she is, her focus immediately switched to stop = treats and she attempted to go from panicked run to dead stop. That was a fail - she tripped and went down on her knees, whereupon I kind of slid off.

Got back on after, flapped the reins, no issue. Got off. Good. Back on and off a few times. Fine.

Then took her for a walk. Faffed with long reining because I had clearly missed a trigger we needed to find. Eventually found it - she panics if there is someone beside her near the saddle AND someone leading her. You need both. You can long rein or lead and she’s totally fine. So you can guess what we will be doing tomorrow!!!

Poor baby.

maya2008

Visit site
You may think that's a fail but i think her stopping for a ground tie is just bloomin amazing. She's coming on really well
The fail was the falling over! I too was very impressed that she remembered to stop once the rope hit the ground!!

I initially taught it in hopes she would stay with me when I inevitably fell off (because young horses = at least a few falls along the way) and she certainly did that.

maya2008

Visit site
Half an hour of groundwork, long reining from both sides, pulling to a stop and getting to the stage where she was lovely and light and not reacting at all, just chilled.

Lots of patting on the saddle and all of that. Flapping the reins around, getting her to flex to both sides and back up with me on the block leaning over a bit. Totally fine. Sat on her. Fine. Feet in stirrups. Fine. Then…for no apparent reason, panic stations!

This time, my husband managed to keep a hold of her and we distracted her with a whole handful of carrots (and a bunch more until she calmed down). I stayed on this time - yay! Then we went for a lovely peaceful walk around the field, with me on top and her stopping to my voice command. Lovely ride. I did then wimp out of dismount practice and got back off onto the block. Enough adrenaline for one day!

I think it’s safe to say that I really really love my Torsion saddle though. Very secure, enabled me to sit stock still while she had her moment so nothing I did scared her further.

(This is exactly why I wanted to send her away though - I knew there would be moments in the backing and it would have been lovely to not be the jockey for them! Never mind, we’re doing it and the positives are outweighing the exciting moments!!).

Caol Ila

Visit site
It's a useful style of saddle.

*knocking on all the wood* My only fall in a TreeFree, despite many shenanigans, has been when I leaned over to close a gate and learned the hard way that I should have checked the girth first. Saddle went sidways, I hit the deck, horse bucked a couple times because saddle hanging off her side was a new one, then realised you needed opposable thumbs to fix this mess so stood like a dream while I returned saddle to correct position, climbed on board, and continued on with ride like nothing happened.

maya2008

Visit site
Three little rushes forward today, then she chilled. This time I could feel her anxiety build just before, so it was less of a surprise. Then fine again. Walk round the field with me on. Off calmly. Long walk in-hand round the tracks (would be nice if she was too tired to panic tomorrow!).

Generally, she is improving each day. Two more days of dry weather until it rains. Hopefully we’ll have stopped rushing around by then!

maya2008

Visit site
So…sitting on her is definitely fine. Using the reins while on her definitely not. Despite it being totally fine to use the reins while long reining, while leaning over her from the block, with one foot in the stirrup and standing above her… just a touch while on board and she loses it. So that’s the trigger - whether accidental or on purpose, she’s been responding to a light pull on her nose that didn’t come from the leader. I think half the time she’s been doing it to herself - turning her head into the reins or moving her nose around. All things she does without a rider and that absolutely do not bother her in the slightest.

I’m going to bit her now, because she has never been bitted, so has no bad memories associated with something in her mouth. Hoping that will help - it’s worth a try at least! Beyond that, I will just need to lunge her until she is too tired to be too athletic about her objections and wait for her to settle. I have desensitised as much as is possible, but if she only has an issue with it with a rider actually on board, then I am kind of out of options there!

Caol Ila

Visit site
My n=1 experience with an adult feral (who is probably more straightforward than yours) is that the whole rider = trustworthy leader thing doesn't compute as easily as it does with a domestic horse. They also feel more uncomfortable and worried, possibly because the weight on their back changes their balance.

I've seen Hermosa develop more and more confidence in the rider as our first year of under saddle work progressed, v. Fin, who reached a point, then kind of hit a wall with it. Being young and domestic, those synapses developed with a lot more ease. Probably like learning a musical instrument as a kid verses learning as an adult. 'Following' the thing sitting on your back is an odd thing to get your head around. Whereas following someone behind you (long-reining/lunging) or in front of you is very straightforward for a horse. They can either get driven by higher ranking herdmates, or follow them.

All last year, I could not ride Fin under the floodlights in the outdoor. He'd freeze and go into reverse gear, and there was nothing I could do about it. But I could lunge him quite happily until the cows came home. He's been better this year but is still a bit spooky and tense.

maya2008

Visit site
My n=1 experience with an adult feral (who is probably more straightforward than yours) is that the whole rider = trustworthy leader thing doesn't compute as easily as it does with a domestic horse. They also feel more uncomfortable and worried, possibly because the weight on their back changes their balance.

I've seen Hermosa develop more and more confidence in the rider as our first year of under saddle work progressed, v. Fin, who reached a point, then kind of hit a wall with it. Being young and domestic, those synapses developed with a lot more ease. Probably like learning a musical instrument as a kid verses learning as an adult. 'Following' the thing sitting on your back is an odd thing to get your head around. Whereas following someone behind you (long-reining/lunging) or in front of you is very straightforward for a horse. They can either get driven by higher ranking herdmates, or follow them.

All last year, I could not ride Fin under the floodlights in the outdoor. He'd freeze and go into reverse gear, and there was nothing I could do about it. But I could lunge him quite happily until the cows came home. He's been better this year but is still a bit spooky and tense.
Oh totally, but in terms of experiencing the thing in order to realise it’s ok…we need to get her to actually experience it, not completely lose her mind, and repeat until the reaction lessens and she’s ok. Or at least not lose the rider.

Current ideas:
- tie reins to Mr Bear’s paws and see if we can trigger her that way. Then sit it out until she realises the world did not end and it’s actually fine (worked with the lead rope!).
- see if I can get her to go while leaning over, gently tug rein, slide off while she panics. Repeat.

A friend suggested side reins but I essentially tried that yesterday - took the reins shorter to get a contact and held them. That was actually fine.

I have backed other ferals at similar ages. This is just her being her unfortunately. Just got to find a way past!

maya2008

Visit site
One bitted pony - and I now have the measurements for the size of bridle she needs. The bit we used today is 5.5” - I think 6” would be too big but might try it for size just to be sure next time.

Managed to set her off a bit by pulling her away from the carrots when my husband was holding them, so I think there was also a bit of attitude present in the massive over-reaction on Tuesday.

As such, I think I need to be a bit more assertive in my handling - she trusts me, I don’t think being a bit more firm will hurt her, and it should help long-term. It’s always hard to know when to switch to a more authoritative approach - I haven’t let her get away with anything, ever, but I have pandered to her preferences to build trust. Which worked where nothing else did, but we probably need to move on now! I pushed the envelope a bit with the bitting (went faster than I would have done previously and was more ‘calm but assertive’ rather than ‘calm and reassuring’) and she was ok - which is a good sign.

Attachments

• IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    700.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

maya2008

Visit site
Bit practice this morning with flexions etc so she learned how it worked.

This afternoon Mr Ted mounted up, strapped on for dear life! Turns out Mr Teddy is actually upsetting when he comes with reins tied to his hands. So round and round we walked, getting her used to it. First time she objected, she shot forwards, into the bit and suddenly stopped. After that her objections were smaller. In general, the bit has helped hugely with control. Would she have tolerated this a few weeks ago? I’m not sure. But she is ready now!

I have a bigger teddy when she is good with this one having reins…

Attachments

• IMG_2743.jpeg
    IMG_2743.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 64

maya2008

Visit site
Realised I haven’t updated in ages! Got involved in helping someone else with theirs and ran out of hours in the day!

Willow has been leading out 3/4 times a week off my pony, learning about narrow gateways (which we no longer rush through) and what all the paths are like. Perfect first time round the local housing estate (much to my pony’s surprise - she kept slowing down and waiting for the spook, but her friend never reacted!). Perfect also in driving rain and howling wind. She’s going to be an amazing hack.

At the end of each ‘hack’, my daughter is leaning over and wriggling around, progressing towards her sitting up and using the reins. My daughter is light enough that one of us can keep a good hold of her and just slide her off if needed, and has done exactly this on other ponies. I just wanted to do Willow all myself because she’ll be mine - probably not the best plan! Willow clearly sees her as not an adult and not a threat. If she feels triggered she goes wide eyed, nuzzles child then lets her do whatever it was. No rush to go any faster as got caught up in other pony, who needs to be going and done sooner. Willow has in fact helped, being other pony’s ’good example’ for traffic and today’s howling gale.

Stands nicely to have her bridle on now - no more reversing backwards until she reaches something to stop her and then letting me put it on! Has also got the hang of other random useful things like catching and leading with another horse, being left ground tied to eat while I tack up, having my son hold her while I get on her friend then pass her to me.

She’s also becoming much more affectionate - wrapped her head and neck around me and gave me a cuddle one day last week when the kids were poorly and fractious and I was feeling very tired and in need of a pony hug! Went to groom me back today and couldn’t work out where on me she should groom (so funny!). So we’re wandering along slowly, still doing things, and waiting realistically until the field dries out enough again we can move forwards more.

I don’t think much more will happen until March sometime now. The weather doesn’t seem like it wants to cooperate!!!

Last edited:

maya2008

Visit site
A completely non training comment but…horrible week here - leaving me in desperate need of pony cuddles. My strongest connection is with Willow, so I grabbed her out of the field and gave her a cuddle before we went for our walk today. Willow stepped right up to the plate there, listened to all my woes and stood like a rock while I cuddled her. She’s so very sweet.

maya2008

Visit site
Today Willow and my little NF conspired against me - apparently it was Willow’s turn to learn how to ‘manage Mum correctly’. Both were at the gate waiting at Willow walk time. Thought nothing of it. Then Willow proceeded to copy NF’s ‘love me, pay attention to me’ tactics in the tie up area. Stand nicely and eat? Nope, way too boring. Insist on mum giving you cuddles and doing your rug first? Much better. Stand at gate and eyeball mum when she dares to help anyone else? Also fun. Even tried to open the gate from her area into everyone else’s so she could come and interfere! On the walk she also tried out ALL the verges, even if they were more stony than the path - another little NF habit. When I popped her back in the field NF was waiting as if to hear how it went 🤣!

What amuses me most is that my TB tutored little NF carefully on how to be ‘Mum’s pony’ and here we are, with NF passing on the wisdom to the next one. Made me smile, a legacy of a sassy mare never lost!

maya2008

Visit site
Borrowed a friend’s multicoloured rubber kids’ reins today and that went ok with daughter on. Got rein-back and head flexion to each side.

Trigger clip, rainbow sections of rubber - totally not a snake. Can I find exactly those in cob size? No… of course not!

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Borrowed a friend’s multicoloured rubber kids’ reins today and that went ok with daughter on. Got rein-back and head flexion to each side.

Trigger clip, rainbow sections of rubber - totally not a snake. Can I find exactly those in cob size? No… of course not!
I don't know if these would be acceptable to her, but I have a set of these which are quite nice- https://gsequestrian.co.uk/collecti...ntal-rubber-grip-reins?variant=32206668103728
They come in all manner of bright colours (although not multicoloured) and cob size.

maya2008

Visit site
Currently using a TCS as she decided she preferred it to the Torsion (I stole the kids’ setup to try). Ordered a new pad for her to go underneath so the kids could have theirs back, and she made it VERY clear she didn’t approve of the colour. So funny. Teal is apparently nice, royal blue makes a pony put ears back and want to bite. So the little Welsh now has the blue one (because he doesn’t care what colour we put on him), and precious princess is keeping the one she was using. No idea what we will use long-term, but she’s only carrying a child right now so this is fine.

maya2008

Visit site
As I stood with her this morning, arm over her neck giving her a cuddle as she ate her breakfast, I watched the farmer and our closest horsey neighbour drive past. They drove past us in December when I was spending hours walking down a horse who wouldn’t be caught - how times have changed!

We’re slowly popping the child on a little further from home - up to about 5min walk now, along the road and up the drive. Met a car yesterday and she was insistent that she had to move right into the gateway to keep the child safe (and that she didn’t need the man to hold the child, she could look after her herself thank you!). She’s learning loads, but what has become very clear is that she needs to SEE me in front/beside her. The second something worries her she’s eyeballing me, watching my reaction. If I’m calm, she figures whatever it was is nothing to worry about. We even had an artic lorry squeeze past us a few days ago and she just shuddered slightly, eye firmly fixed on me for reassurance. In combination with this, my NF has stated firmly that she is NOT allowing my son to ride her more than occasionally - she’s mine and intends to stay mine. So the game plan is now to get Willow up to a 30min walk/trot with my daughter, then switch over so my son can take over. She doesn’t mind him at all, and then he can follow behind me, giving her what she needs - mum in her line of sight to help reassure her while she learns about being a ridden pony.

Attachments

• IMG_3530.jpeg
    IMG_3530.jpeg
    663.5 KB · Views: 44

maya2008

Visit site
When you get alarm vibes from the ex-feral pony at 10pm while you’re in bed and figure it’s not real, ESP isn’t a thing, the random feeling of anxiety for no reason is not a reason to get out of bed, put a coat on and go to the yard…

Then arrive in the morning to find them all in the wrong field. Yep, should have got out of bed and gone to check!!! She was a bit miffed I’d not come earlier. Terrible service in this place!

maya2008

Visit site
She trotted with a rider!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such a brave girl, I am so proud of her. My daughter says she has a very smooth trot and she wanted to do more, but I felt four little trots was plenty for day 1 of going faster than walk. Quit while we’re ahead and all that.

maya2008

Visit site
Tons of trotting later, she’s up to a 40min walk/trot hack with rider on the lead rein. Has started to get used to my son sitting on her - couldn’t care less. He’ll hopefully take over soon so she can learn to go off the lead. Son was worried she’d be huge (she has this massive presence about her that makes her seem like 15hh instead of her 13.3hh actual self). He got on and went, ‘Oh, she’s not that big!’ Nope!! All sass 🤣.

Pic is today’s hack. Not a spook despite the wind, chilled and sensible!

Attachments

• IMG_3647.jpeg
    IMG_3647.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 31