If Dubarrys aren't the best boot, what are?

crystalclear

Visit site
I've just seen another thread about if Dubarry leak. I read with interest as I always thought these were the top, waterproof boots to wear. I was looking to get some this year but now I'm not convinced. So if Dubarrys aren't the best waterproof wise etc, what are? I'm happy to consider boots or yes boots. I love my Ariwt Windemeres but have had two pairs and they're rubbish! They even sent them back and stood them in an inch of water and said they didn't leak, like really! Haha

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Dubarry are the best but you have to be realistic they are leather boots. If you want 100% waterproof forever buy some rubber wellies. Ariat I think have the best customer service.

crystalclear

Visit site
But what are the best wellies? Everything leaks! Ariat were helpful but putting the boots I say are leaking in an inch of water when they are meant to be waterproof didn't really help. My Windemeres Didn't last, and I looked after them. I look after my boots but I'm not sure it's hard to ask for a pair of waterproof boots, especially as that's what they're advertised as.

Last edited:

crystalclear

Visit site
I am surprised, i have had some Dubarrys for about 10 years, and they have never leaked, even in the water jumps!

Maybe the making isn't up to scratch anymore? I don't know his insertion asking :) I know someone on another thread said the older boots were fab, but new they didn't feel the quality was the same. Perhaps they have gone like hunters as they used to be good also

Last edited:

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Have come to the conclusion that any make of boots quality has deteriorated over the years. My original Ariat Windermeres are nearly 15 yrs old, haven't been looked after, but are still going strong and are amazingly comfortable, my newer one, 5yrs old are heavy and cumbersome in comparison, not so good to ride in, as dont hold your leg as well and will only survive another yr or so.
Mountain horse yard boots lasted my other half 6 weeks, while Aldi safety boots used exactly the same way, cost 9.99 in the sale, lasted 5 months!
I have never had Durbarrys, so cant comment on them, but generally feel overall quality of many products is getting worse, horse rugs coming a close second to boots

crystalclear

Visit site
Have come to the conclusion that any make of boots quality has deteriorated over the years. My original Ariat Windermeres are nearly 15 yrs old, haven't been looked after, but are still going strong and are amazingly comfortable, my newer one, 5yrs old are heavy and cumbersome in comparison, not so good to ride in, as dont hold your leg as well and will only survive another yr or so.
Mountain horse yard boots lasted my other half 6 weeks, while Aldi safety boots used exactly the same way, cost 9.99 in the sale, lasted 5 months!
I have never had Durbarrys, so cant comment on them, but generally feel overall quality of many products is getting worse, horse rugs coming a close second to boots

Def agreed!!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well if your not convinced buy something else .
I love my dubarrys I hate wellies and struggle to walk in them.
But as FW says they are leather and you have to care for dubarries however wellies in my opinion are pretty easy to kill .

crystalclear

Visit site
Well if your not convinced buy something else .
I love my dubarrys I hate wellies and struggle to walk in them.
But as FW says they are leather and you have to care for dubarries however wellies in my opinion are pretty easy to kill .

Well this is what I'm trying to find out, what to buy. I had my heart set on dubarrys as everyone has always said how fab they are, but saw the other post and now not so sure? As I say happy to look after boots. I would just like something waterproof as that's what you're paying for.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Dunlop purfoot (purfort something like that) wellies are ugly but indestructible. Completely ncessary when working with cattle although I also don't like walking in them. I tend to wear walking boots for work / field jobs, wellies when it's really wet and not walking miles and ariats for riding. Dubarrys for good / spectating at shows (in Scotland so can be really wet!). Just bought a pair of treadstep for competing. Will see how they fair. Also have grassmeres (starting to think I have a boot fettish!) which were for good but started riding in them in winter months. They are irritating in that can't get them on without a boot horn, ok at home but what if you want to go somewhere and take them off - and they do leak on the suede but I also do ride in extreme weather.

crystalclear

Visit site
Haha you do have a lot of boots but this is good! I like the variety you have. I'll have a look into those wellies. It's just for winter when you're doing chores and for when it gets wet and muddy and you're up there twice a day...or more :)

crystalclear

Visit site
They are irritating in that can't get them on without a boot horn, ok at home but what if you want to go somewhere and take them off - and they do leak on the suede but I also do ride in extreme weather.

My artiats did this too the heel kind of sinks and you have to use the boot horn

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes I like the fact I can put my dubarrys on without that. Those wellies are about 50 quid and far better than ruining a nice pair of leather ones I think.

I forgot I've also got Toggi canyons :eek: which I use more like wellies when I have to walk but they leak very quickly and the heel also disintegrates again quickly (had two pairs won't have another!). Might try Dublin boots next for that job.

Kingfisher95

Visit site
I tend to use short boots and chaps so I don't wear them other than for riding, so waterproofing is not that big a thing for me. That being said my toggi boots are almost 10 year old now with the outer heel clipped away from walking and have never leaked on me yet! I desperately need a new pair, but I agree the quality has really gone downhill in recent years.

For days out/walking/anything not overly muddy I love my Toggi Berkeley's. They are super comfy and warm (occasionally too warm in summer!) and so far have been totally waterproof so I could see them being a good yard boot! I'm just too precious about mine!

Wellie boot wise, hunters are all dreadful now, though they used to be fab boots. Such a shame they still look the part and customer service I've found to be good but just not worth the hassle and wet feet! Once again I used to swear by toggi, even though they were on the short side. My first pair I wore day in day out for 2 years and wore the sole completely smooth and they never leaked! Neoprene lined so nice and warm in winter too. However I went through the replacements in a matter of weeks with them both springing leaks. So I bit the bullet and bought myself the ultimate wellie boot: the le chameau! Very warm, sturdy boots which are 100% worth the money for someone like me who wears them every day, and everyone I know swears by them. My only gripe would be they have a piece of grippy plastic in the back of the ankle which will pull your socks down and rub your ankle raw if they don't fit right!

meleeka

Visit site
My Toggi's lasted for ages (I trod on a huge nail so not even their fault). I've also had Dublin which I loved. I don't look after them at all but perhaps I've just been lucky.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have had a few pairs of the dublin river boots and have lasted quite a few years but I do look after them, I don't ever ride in them I clean them regularly and I spray them with waterproof spray, I do use them everyday for out on the yard in the field and walking the dog so they get a fair bit of use, my current pair are about a year old and I won those in a competition and they still look new, I think it's like anything if you don't put the time in to look after things they don't last my pair of mountain horse high riders are 4 years old and used for riding only but again I clean and look after the leather I have had the zips replaced once but they still look good.

scats

Visit site
I find Dublin Pinacle boots brilliant. They are the only ones I haven't killed within months. Infact, I'm currently still wearing a pair that are 2 years old and worn everyday in all weathers. They are starting to look a bit beaten up now but in all fairness I don't looks after them.

Casey76

Visit site
I have big calves and short legs, so finding a pair of long boots is always a nightmare. I'm currently wearing a pair of no name yard boots from my local agricentre. They are on their 3rd winter now, and they get much abuse, as I do all of my yard chores in them (and currently the muck heap is sitting in a slurry pit :eek: ) they are rubberized over the foot and material on the ankle/calf part. With the addition of a memory foam insole they are so comfortable. I can walk around in them all day, and are not too bulky to ride in (though I have to be careful to watch my stirrup leather doesn't get caught up in the hook closure for the laces!)

I think they were about 50€.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I am surprised, i have had some Dubarrys for about 10 years, and they have never leaked, even in the water jumps!

Same here (also in water jumps!). Love mine, my last ones lasted 8 or 9 years and just replaced them with same this year. Although I do abuse mine (ride in them, get mud on them, rarely clean them etc.) I do tend to use bog standard wellies (from the local farmers shop - NOT horsey place as those types of wellies never last) for proper messy stuff like wading about in mud when poo picking etc.

apachediamond

Visit site
I have a couple of pairs of dublin, river boots and pinnacle and use them for all sorts, mucking out, walking dogs, camping, concerts, watching grassroots fball...... had the river boots over 3 years now and as mentioned in other posts i wash them off, mainly after mucking out to stop them rotting from the amonia, other than that i don't really do anything to them care wise

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ditto dunlop puraforts for best wellies, I pop a pair of posher insoles in them for comfort but mine look barely worn while everyone else's split.
I have some grasmeres for when there is less mud wading.

It seems dubarry customer service has not been up to much recently, and I think they have moved manufacture?

Annagain

Visit site
I love my Aigle Parcours Iso wellies. They're coming up to 5 years old now and are as good as ever. Technically, they're a "rubber walking boot" so they've got supportive soles and the neoprene lining means they're lovely and warm.

Copperpot

Visit site
I wanted Dubarry Wexfords. Couldn't get them in my size. Considered Tuffa Norfolks and almost ordered some until I came across Le Chameau Jameson boots. Ordered them yesterday. Fingers crossed they will keep my feet warm and dry!

teapot

Visit site
Dubarrys are fantastic boots if they're looked after. And by looked after, I mean washed of any ammonia or sea water, and regularly and properly polished and treated with their wax cream. Mine are six years old and still going strong because of this.

That said, the slim fit pair I ordered last year (which were going to be my smart pair) were sent straight back as imho they were not nearly the quality of my original pair. Neither the leather or suede was as good as I had expected to be, nor the finish. Dubarry unfortunately have gone the way of a number of brands, forgetting their heritage in favour of fashion.

DJ

Visit site
I have a (2) pairs of Dublin river boots, 1 pair I have worn to death, as in yard, riding, work, dog walking etc, every day for the last 5 years and they`re still going strong (just a bit grubby now lol), and the 2nd pair I have I save for best, going out/shows etc. These are fab as they come in 2 width sizes, and with having chunky calf muscles I find the wide give me that extra room I need, and I think they are well priced for how long they last :)

I also have a pair of Seeland all rounders, neoprene wellie type boots (soooo warm in winter), these are for the real minging depth of winter type mud (up to your knees). 1st pair of these lasted 4 years, and I only replaced those as I walk a bit wonky due to breaking my back and I`d worn away the inside of the heel down to the sole lol, this pair are new and ready for this winter.

Hope that helps.

Flame_

Visit site
I've got some Ariat Grasmeres that are many years old now and are still pretty waterproof for leather boots. When I'm being good and trying to conserve them for riding and not yard stuff (mainly once it gets muddy), Muck Boot Esks. I think the model name has changed but they still make an equivalent. Very comfy, warm, non-slip, durable wellies. Both genuinely highly recommended.

PinkSwoon

Visit site
I have a pair of Dubarry Galway boots that are around 4 years old. Most people forget that they need to be rinsed after mucking out as ammonia rots the stitching & the leather hence the 'omg I spent £300 on boots that leak' threads. Look after them & they will look after you.

I have recently bought a pair of Le Chameau (the leather lined ones with the full length zip) & would 100% have them over a pair of Dubarrys any day, however it did take me a long time to admit this! I decided to replace my Dubarrys not because they leak but because they had dropped so much at the ankle & looked really worn even though they aren't!