If I was in the market for an arab

Dexter

Visit site
and a non typey arab at that, suitable to carry 13 stone and a bit squashed into a 5ft5/6 body, so cant be too leggy and glamorous or I'll feel like a blimp! :D I'd like the nice refined arab face, and particularly the curly devil ears, but not too tall, anything over about 15.3hh gives me vertigo! :p and ideally not grey ;) Doesnt need to be a novice ride, but I'm not technically supposed to ride after a fractured spine, so not hot! Must move nicely and not mind working in the school but would mainly be used for hacking out. Where would I find such a paragon of virtue and what terrifying price tag would be attached :confused:

I was offered one once, and I absolutely adored her! but I wasnt in a position to buy at the time, but I am now and I'm wondering where to look!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Keep an eye on Arabianlines. You might find that the right part bred arab would give you everything on your list. My first horse after I knackered my back was a 15.3hh anglo-arab and I certainly find her movement easy on my back compared to many other horses that I've ridden. :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Someone (an endurance bod so you'd think they'd know Arabs a bit) asked me if this was an Arab at the weekend :confused:

33264480508aaf88f075ab119489ee61_zps64e62da4.jpg

So just any old thing can pretend to be an Arab, it needs a pretty head, skinny neck and a flaggy tail and you are sorted :D (she is an American Paint Horse - Quarter Horse)

BigYellowHorse

Visit site
Pbaxconnie is what you need ;)

Ive got to little fillies really filling out well to carry some weight but still absolutely beautiful and athletic :)

pip6

Visit site
Look for a Crabbet, more powerful & not as ditzy. Can go to Crabbet Org website & look up studs to see what's about. Would say though they have very powerful paces, especially trot so given your spine problems you might want to look at another breed. As an idea look up Gadebrook Stud, they often have new backed youngsters for sale though you pay for them having put in four years of work so don't expect bargain basement.

I'm an endurance bod & lovely as your horse is I'd never ask if he was an arab?!

Last edited:

Triskar

Visit site
There's a lovely chestnut Arab gelding on ArabianLines.com today - I wanted to buy him a few years ago, but the owner couldn't bear to part with him then, and I bought a 2 year old (now 5) my Bertie Bassett (because he's such a sweet boy) He is lovely and I think he's what you are looking for?

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Think Arabian Lines is the main one. Other than that, all the standard horsey sites and keep an eye open? My new guy is mainly Crabbet lines from what I can gather... I found him on Preloved, of all places.

Amazona

Visit site
I have just the boy looking for a new mummy if you would consider a Hispano Arab
He is clever too and is trained to medium and currently learning Spanish Walk

picture.php

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Here's an interesting bit of information that was posted on AL recently.

Also remember that at top FEI level arabs from pony size up carry a minimum of 75kg (just under 12 stone) at speed over 160km (100 miles)

pip6

Visit site
Shadow Flame, put him on allbreedpedigree then pm me his name. I'll give you a rough idea of Crabbet %, & tell you how you can get him officially certified if you wish.

Have pointed out the endurance weight thing before now to people preaching about limits that must never be exceeded (all animals are different), they never reply to me. All about taking them as individuals. I wouldn't be happy on a skinny show type, but feel totally at home on my Crabbets & they carry me easily for miles & hours.

Last edited:

bexandspooky

Visit site
I have what you want!!!! She isn't for sale though, but they do exist!

Mine is mostly crabbet, built like a brick outhouse - never daft, never silly, has a beautiful face and a fab personality.

All this came for a shade over £2k.

I put a wanted ad on arablianlines and someone contacted me.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Have pointed out the endurance weight thing before now to people preaching about limits that must never be exceeded (all animals are different), they never reply to me. All about taking them as individuals. I wouldn't be happy on a skinny show type, but feel totally at home on my Crabbets & they carry me easily for miles & hours.

I agree that you have to look at the animal in front of you and use some common sense.

p.s - thats not her in my sig, thats my previous boy!

Photo needed! :D

lhotse

Visit site
My arab mare is French bred, she's only 14.2hh but she is a total chunk, plenty of bone, a very pretty face and a very sane brain. I found her on the EGB website, but I'm afraid she'll never be for sale!!

Archangel

Visit site
Are you anywhere near Devon? Combe Farm have an open afternoon tomorrow. Worth a trip just to sit there and dream :)

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Shadow Flame, put him on allbreedpedigree then pm me his name. I'll give you a rough idea of Crabbet %, & tell you how you can get him officially certified if you wish.

Ooh. Thanks pip, I'll PM you now :)

I got so far on allbreed, I believe his sire is Crabbet / Russian, and his dam is mainly Crabbet, I haven't got round to scrutinising %'s though!

Cleo

Visit site
Go for a Russian type arab. We have a beautiful one who will be eventually for sale, but not for a few years yet as still a baby! ;)

But yep, look on Arabian lines,or Coombe Farm Arabians often have some for sale who are ridden Arabs, with decent breeding, if you ever want to breed from it. But they do have more weighty all purpose types (ones you can hack out, riding club etc) sothey are worth a try. Maybe google them.

Good luck! :)

Hawks27

Visit site
Consider hispano arabes and look at other Spanish breeds and crosses, my filly was a lusitano x quarter horse and she ended up looking like an arab and was a really power house only 15hh finally built but so incredibly tough and strong had no trouble carrying my western trainer and the big western saddle

Avonbrook

www.avonbrookstud.co.uk
ps, Marcus Aurelius is a lovely up & stallion. Try googling him & seeing if stud where he stands has anything. Also EGB website, there is this Crabbet cross there (by very good Crabbet endurance stallion, Silva Dollar)

http://www.endurancegb.co.uk/html/ClassAd.asp?AdId=3866

Thankyou Pip :D.

OP, I don't have any purebreds for sale (the 3yo filly is mine all mine :D) but Gadebrook would certainly be worth a shout. Also Spirit Arabians, possibly Binley Stud, definitely Coombe Farm open day if you can get there (although most not so much Crabbet they're still lovely leg at each corner Arabians)... off the top of my head :D

Also please do try to get to the Crabbet Convention at Addington on Sat 20th and Sun 21st July 2013 where, on the Saturday, over 100 of the creme of UK high % Crabbet Arabians (including Marcus Aurelius, naturally :p) will be paraded...

The last time it was held in this Country was 2002 so it is a rare as well as an unparalleled opportunity to see the range within "Crabbet" and to hone your eye to what you like!

rowan666

Visit site
Look for an Arab x connie! I used to have the most beautiful chestnut mare that sounds exactly what your describing, perfect horse of a life time that can never be replaced