If not horses then what?

pistolpete

Visit site
Hi all. I’ve often seen posts on here about people who have given up horses or saying they are. For those that are still on here that have how do you fill your time. What has been a good alternative and for those that have had a break and come back to horses is it just as good second time around? My pony is retired now aged 14 and I really don’t want to look after two so having an enforced break. Having riding lessons and jacks but it all seems very empty and I feel lost.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I have always thought if not horses, I would have a try at long distance sea swimming. Maybe not quite swim the channel but similar to Isle of Wight / and other distances. Or swim the channel in a relay.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
I love going to training classes with my dog (Labrador). I had a horse at the time I got my dog but I knew he was likely going to need to be retired/PTS soon and I wanted something else outdoorsey to fill my time with. I think a lot of people who are/were horsey go into gundog training. I did actually buy another horse but he's a low maintenance native. I think if I didnt buy another horse I would meet up with friends more in the evenings for training sessions/walks etc.

Birker2020

Visit site
I'd love to take up rock climbing and jogging but I'm too heavy to do either and when I did try jogging a number of years ago got plantar fascitis as a result.

I'm quite a sporty type of person, I'd rather play rounders than sit inside watching telly for example and I like to swim, spin and walk the dog.

I think joining the gym was the best move I ever made as I go at least three times a week but sometimes as much as six and swim/spin.

Annagain

Visit site
When I lost my old boy unexpectedly, I was totally lost in terms of what to do. I phoned my (non-horsey) sister and asked what people without horses did when they got home from work and she replied "watch Neighbours". As upset as I was, I lasted a week before I started looking for another. I should add this was in 2005 and she's since had 2 kids so she definitely doesn't watch neighbours now!

Walking would be my thing - I already do a fair bit but I think I'd do a lot more long distance trails. I'd travel too as i'd have both the time and the money without horses.

Bernster

Visit site
Gosh, I don’t k ow but it would have to be something that takes up an equal amount of time, focus, energy and effort. I’m not very active so it’s possible I would have been even lazier but I think I’d have spent more time dining out etc, maybe shopping...? Can’t even think!

I do wonder whether I might have had kids. There seems to be a strong link in my network between horse women and not having children.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
My situation was a little different I didn’t choose to give up my horse I was forced to due to a divorce and losing everything. That was three years ago, I rented the cheapest cottage I could find and saved any penny I could and have just bought a new horse. For me personally I was lost without my own horse (I’ve had my own for 35 years-since I was 8) I already swam and ran and had my dog but nothing filled that void. My mum gave up horses about ten years ago by choice and now seems to spend her time globe trotting (pre pandemic), going to the theatre and eating out. Although she has fallen in love with my new boy and wants to back him when the time comes and keeps muttering about “how she misses that smell” when she visits the yard!!!

Widgeon

Visit site
Apart from dog walking, fell walking, outdoor swimming and taming a wild garden, I'd choose sailing. Unfortunately, we currently live away from the sea, but if we returned to the lovely Suffolk coast, I'd have a little sailing boat and spend hours playing.

Me too, if I didn't ride I think I'd have carried on with either dinghy racing or gliding...both requiring large amounts of time and cash input!!

windand rain

Visit site
I tend to overstuff my garden so gardening is a full time hobby. Spend a lot of time carrying pots up and down my garden as it is very small so have to find suitable spots for the stuff I have grown
The ponies help the garden too as the muck fills up the containers so the compost is not so extortionate

ITPersonnage

Visit site
Since I lost my girl (Feb last year) I've felt v low too but I have tried to kick my own a** and I do yoga every morning, cycle most days, lucky enough to have a garden that has become neater and better stocked than it was before, and spent a while on the computer teaching myself new skills (was a software developer a while ago) but there is SO MUCH stuff on different topics you can do a lot of self improvement!

I will admit that it does take self motivation and will power though....

Ultimate aim is to get a new job that will fund another neddy :)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I was thinking of writing a post just like this. I have been forced to take a break from horses as I lost my boy. I have tried to go to the gym, but without a personal trainer (I am trying to save a bit of money) I really struggle to find any desire to go. I think it's because I was once in great shape and now I am nowhere near. My body is too broken for a lot of things eg: rugby which I used to love, and powerlifting which I liked the look of. I HATE running with a passion, team sports give me anxiety so that's football out, and I work full time so cannot reasonably have a dog (which I would love).

This has left me looking around my local area for some sports to do, as I am fat. I tried hot yoga last night which was alright, but a bit dull. I have a burn class tonight which isn't really my thing but need to use the gym membership, and a lesson at the driving range next week. Might try squash and badminton.. already do a fair amount of walking, and find it a bit aimless if I don't have a dog with me.

Last edited:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
In the many years between horses I spent 3 months every year long distance cycling in Europe or the US. Self contained, sleeping in a tent, meeting new people and being amazed at the generosity of total strangers. I miss it, I still get very itchy feet but I can’t see me going away again unless it’s for a very short trip.

Wheels

Visit site
I love dog walking, going for long drives in the country or coast and clay pidgeon shooting. I have done all of those things at various times whilst also having horses - clay pidgeon shooting is great fun but expensive (especially at the start when I didn't have my own gun) and addictive!

SpizWiz

Visit site
I found myself in the same boat multiple times when the one and only horse I can afford keeps breaking - tried rowing for a while but my knees weren't up to it, very soothing though, might try paddle boarding this year.
Generally spend more time walking my dogs (much to their disgust) and holidaying.

Tracking_up

Visit site
I gave up competitive rifle shooting for horse owning, so I might go back to that (although perhaps not the eyesight for it now! Otherwise, gardening and various other crafty projects.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
If i didn't have a horse i would become a gym bunny. I started going when my old boy retired and loved it, I'm naturally competitive even against myself so i would train to improve my body. When my old boy was PTS i got a youngster and even though i love having a riding horse again, i do miss how having a very fit body made me feel

smolmaus

Visit site
I'm trying to figure out this equation from the opposite end, what will I have to give up to have the horse. Luckily it mostly seems to be alcohol, associated lie-ins and Netflix so hopefully no issues! ?

Weight lifting used to be my thing but I haven't been near a gym in probably 2 years at this stage. We just took advantage of all the weightlifters selling their home gyms as the commercial ones open again and got a nice second-hand setup for £900-ish. Should pay for itself in gym memberships in less than 2 years and it is MUCH easier to motivate myself to go to the garage where nobody can see me than to have to make accidental eye contact with other people in a brightly lit gym at stupid-o'clock in the morning before work. Of course I went WAY too hard for my first session back and haven't been able to straighten my legs since Saturday but I am very excited to get bulky again ?

chaps89

Visit site
Mine was pts a couple of weeks ago.
I always thought I would get another, but actually this time round, even though I knew pts was coming I didn't and haven't started looking for another, I actually don't want one right now, which I never thought I'd say.
I think that comes from a very stressful couple of years juggling her various issues and burning myself out though, along with having met some thoroughly unpleasant horsey people on the way (I also met some amazing ones! But they never seemed to be the ones I'd interact with on a daily basis like fellow liveries/yo's) which has somewhat put me off getting another. Not to mention the current way the horse market is working (having to move quickly and it's out of my price reach for now to have another anyway)

However I do have 2 share horses who I ride twice a week each, I kept the companion pony so I have a reason to get out of bed still so i have a good amount of horsey fix. I get to spend time with my OH and the gym/swimming pool opened up just in time. I feel like I have a balance between all the things at last.
I suspect it would be different if OH was still working all hours, gyms were still shut and/or I didn't have share horses though! Or if I won the lottery and could buy a little field/yard of my own.

Gift Horse

Visit site
If I wasn’t riding I would probably use the time to grow more food, grow fruit and veg, go foraging, keep chickens again....

planete

Visit site
When I had to stop riding eight years ago I started fostering rescue dogs. I stopped doing it a few years ago (full house!) and am now riding again but still have four dogs. Thankfully OH does most of the dog walking nowadays as he has also retired. It satisfied my need to train something and was challenging enough to keep me out of mischief.

coblets

Visit site
Currently horseless and am coping (albeit poorly) by going on lots of walks/hikes, and enjoying all the footpaths I wouldn't get to use if I were in the saddle!