If not horses then what?

SO1

Visit site
Horses have been my lifeline during the Covid-19 pandemic. I had thought that my pony will be the last one and I very much hope he will live long and prosper as they say with many more years together, when he is gone I am not sure what sort of state the world will be in so I guess it depends on that sort of situation, if we are still having to social distance and not be able to be free to spend time with family and friends I would definitely need an equine companion even if was a share a few a days a week.

I do enjoy travel and I also took up a new hobby a couple of years ago which is card playing. It is social as we meet up in pubs or other venues. I would probably make a big effort to learn Bridge and join a Bridge Club. Bridge requires a lot of commitment with a regular partner which I just don't have the time for at the moment. The many other games we normally play don't require that level of commitment. As a single person it is something I can do which is social and I can meet new people but does not require a partner or friend to come with me.

JoannaC

Visit site
I do still have my horses although down to two and won't be replacing this time so the retired mare is going to have to get used to staying in the stable on her own when i ride but I mainly ride at home so she can see us anyway. But i'm totally addicted to Koi fish now! When we moved to this house there was a huge pond in the garden and my husband previously has koi so he turned it into a koi pond and I love it! The come and eat out your hand and there are so many different varieties and are quite high maintenance as can die if the water isn't right. So they will keep me entertained once the ponies have gone.

pond through ears.jpg
koi fish.jpg

rosiesowner

Visit site
Oh gosh now that is the question isn't it... I retired Chill last October and haven't got a new one due to uni. I simply cannot afford to do horses properly for now-I sort and hack a friend's horse once or twice a week though which is lovely.

My main thing atm is the gym. There's something so satisfying about pushing for new PBs and realising that there's actually so much your body can do if you just put your mind to it. I have the coolest PT ever and we always have a proper laugh. Like this morning when I nearly killed myself because I cracked up in the middle of attempting a bench press PB at something he said. I'm there 6 days a week. 4:20am starts 4 of those days training alone makes sure I get out of bed and sorted early-structure I desperately need! I go bouldering indoors once a week which is a fun way to mix things up. I ran a lot throughout lockdown but have neglected that as gyms have reopened.

I work two shifts a week, but after uni finishes this Friday I've no clue what I'm going to do with my free time! I'm worried, I can't lie... The lack of structure scares me!!!!

Best wishes to you-I can't lie, even with a new found passion there is a big horse shaped hole in my life.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I’ve ended up working more, which is probably a stupid idea! About four days a week for two councils, and then one or both weekend days on OH’s clay shoot. The parish council work stretches my brain, the county council work doesn’t, and clay shooting bores me to tears. Aged and declining mother takes up time too. Hmm, I don’t really do much for me - lost a lot of enthusiasm when Tinner was pts. Still have lovely Harley retired and mooching about the field and evil pony companion but they want food not humans.

Bernster

Visit site
RO I didn’t realise that chilli had retired, I’m sorry about that as I always enjoyed your posts. Your post made me feel tired just reading it. Well done you. I need to exercise more. I’m struggling to find something other than horse riding which I like and would stick to!

rosiesowner

Visit site
RO I didn’t realise that chilli had retired, I’m sorry about that as I always enjoyed your posts. Your post made me feel tired just reading it. Well done you. I need to exercise more. I’m struggling to find something other than horse riding which I like and would stick to!

Yes! At the start of last October. If I had the financial capabilities I would have kept her going but alas I do not! At 19 (20 in a couple of weeks!) she owes nobody anything and so is enjoying life chilling in the field.

I genuinely don't mind getting up early at all now. I love my little morning routine! Guess it's just important to find something you genuinely love and enjoy. I honestly had no idea what I was going to do when I realised I wasn't going to be riding five or six times a week. I went to the gym because my friend said I should go with her to give it a try, stumbled across my PT's instagram profile and the rest is history. I'd encourage anyone who enjoys riding to give weight training a go as you can track your progress like you'd track your dressage scores for example!

Bouldering is great because it's a full body workout without even realising it and gives you a great sense of accomplishment. It's super chilled and I find it a friendlier/less intimidating atmosphere than a gym for beginners.

ihatework

Visit site
Currently doing a lot more walking, looking up and planning new routes etc.
A couple of evening classes (Pilates and Barre)
Just starting tennis lessons too.
In the winter taking dog out with the shoot.
If I had a good club nearby, and a dog with some aptitude (mine doesn’t!) then I’d love to take up agility again.

If I didn’t have the financial tie of the horses (rather than the time tie) then I would most definitely go on 2-3 diving holidays a year!

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I bought a puppy..... yeah so not exactly money saving as I should be but hey ho. My OH has always wanted a dog, and I am WFH and have so much more time so there we have it.

I am currently loaning 2 days a week but unsure how my brain feels about this really.....

I am also looking (dreaming) about moving house to somewhere with land so I can get another horse, but as I'm getting further into looking, its not realistically going to happen.