If you’re dithering over riding

dixie

Visit site
I was in two minds whether to hack out or not. Today is a beautiful day, my boy is pretty safe, not spooky at all so I decided to hack out round our quiet lanes.
Got 3/4 way round and he violently spun and I went splat on the road ?. I had my air jacket on so seem ok but it has made me re-think my choices !
So just putting it out there for those of you not sure whether to or not. Best not too as you never know what’ll happen.

JFTDWS

Visit site
So basically, if you don't want to burden the NHS, don't have horses :eek:

I hope you're both OK (indirectly, your friend's daughter, AE!) but yes, horses are risky. Make sensible decisions - and don't presume people whose differences aren't the same as your own are just feckless idiots.

Personally I'm just trying to keep my horses in some semblance of equine shape until the is over, because otherwise...
images

Except more laminitic and probably more dead :/

Ceriann

Visit site
Hope you’re ok. Agree it’s a dilemma but in context I felt more nervous turning my 3 out on monday evening (as had to take them through a field to get to new turnout) than I did riding. I wore my hat to do that yesterday. We need to take that extra bit of care in everything we do not just focus on the ride don’t ride debate.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Im worried about mine getting fat but will track the field or bring them in to eat soaked hay only if they do. I'm lucky to have flexibility at home and I can also avoid having to lead them about anywhere as everything is connected by gates and walkways. So no lively field turnouts! All hoof maintenance and anything else done with them tied up with noses in haynets.

If everyone just minimises risk as much as they can then the community as a whole is doing it's part. Like if I avoid riding and risky handling with my chilled out, roughed off nuggets as much as I can it frees up some risk so that the lady up the road can keep her fit competition horses working and the overall risk of a horse rider ending up in A&E is still reduced... I don't know if that makes any kind of sense? As long as everyone is reducing their risks as much as they can it helps and works.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I'm so sorry that happened OP. You'll be a bit sore for a few days but hope you're on the mend soon.
Im still riding as likelihood of accident is slim (how many of us would ever ride if there was a high likelihood of an accident?) I know the chance isn't zero, but it's slim. What's really got my goat is that a FB 'friend' who has publicly stated on FB why people shouldn't ride (extra strain on NHS), has today done something clearly banned by Boris. I do feel, if we are to not ride, then the whole nation mustn't do any DIY, gardening, exercise, chopping veg (you can buy it ready chopped) , using trampolines etc etc. I've just seen a totally unrelated chart showing % of uk owners of animals eg 41% own a cat, 33% own a medium size dog, and 1% own a horse. So let's be honest, with people taking extra care, it's hardly putting extra strain on the NHS if some people fall off today. I'm sure there will be many many more DIY and gardening accidents as statistically, there are far far more people carrying out these activities. So I say with caution, go for a quiet hack and do some light schooling. Just save the puissance for a few months time.

dixie

Visit site
What’s annoying is that I went for a quiet hack and fell but yard owner put up jumping grid in field ending at 1.20 on a novice horse and was fine.

scruffyponies

Visit site
It is surprisingly busy out there. The fields are full of huge farm equipment being busy busy, and I've never seen so many walkers and bike riders in my life!

What an absolutely lovely afternoon though. So nice to see so many people enjoying the countryside... well separated of course.

Ceriann

Visit site
i hacked out late aft - usual route, walk and trot only. She was super sensible and is very used to everything we see. I would hate for all that desensitisation work to be lost and we go backwards. I have plenty of fields I can hack her but she is much spookier in those and higher risk. If she’s even slightly highly strung or a bit of breeze (winds wakes her up) we won’t go anywhere.

millikins

Visit site
It is surprisingly busy out there. The fields are full of huge farm equipment being busy busy, and I've never seen so many walkers and bike riders in my life!

What an absolutely lovely afternoon though. So nice to see so many people enjoying the countryside... well separated of course.
I rode, it was too nice not to and if they crack down even more that might be last one for a while. But it did seem most of Surrey had the same idea, only 1 other rider but more runners, cyclists and dog walkers than you usually see on a bank holiday :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I rode, it was too nice not to and if they crack down even more that might be last one for a while
This is the way I've been looking at it. Not riding the iffy one, he's effectively turned away now. but my established horse is 15 this year, just recovered from injury and feeling fantastic, we're tinkering towards GP and that's an extraordinary thing for a pony like her, I am cherishing every day with her because at some point I expect it will be impossible to continue.

I didnt actually ride today, I took her out in hand as I often do and had a nice walk round the bridle ways :) not a soul to be seen.

Goldenstar

Visit site
So basically, if you don't want to burden the NHS, don't have horses :eek:

I hope you're both OK (indirectly, your friend's daughter, AE!) but yes, horses are risky. Make sensible decisions - and don't presume people whose differences aren't the same as your own are just feckless idiots.

Personally I'm just trying to keep my horses in some semblance of equine shape until the is over, because otherwise...
images

Except more laminitic and probably more dead :/

how did you get a picture of my ID .
I am not riding but we are lunging doing pole exercises and soon will be doing horse agility in the woods .
oh and starving them .

scruffyponies

Visit site
Just found out that one of my sharer families used their exercise this sunny afternoon to 'borrow' my Shetland, and walk him out with a couple of garden waste bags as panniers, doing a litter pick on the outskirts of the village. He was, apparently, happy to assist by mowing the grass en route.

So proud of him, and them for finding such a creative thing to do that benefits everyone.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I'm gonna stick to ground work with my 2. Ones had the winter off and it won't hurt for him to come back into work slowly at 17. The other is a slow and steady project so by deciding not to ride until after this is all over means I won't rush anything with him.
I got all excited when I came back from Vienna last year and bought a dressage from the ground book and never used it so maybe this is the time to dust it off.

pinkypug1

Visit site
It’s not just about the riding it’s about the amount of time outside of your home. If you can have your horses looked after by someone else do it, if you can turn your horses away do it, if you can your limit your time at the yard each day to 30 mins rather than and hour do it. Yes it’s shit, yes we will miss them, yes they might get fat and hairy but in the grand scheme of things the world is pretty messed up right now, people are dying and you are only increasing the chance of bringing that grief to your own door!! spending time with our horses isn’t essential!!

EmmaC78

Visit site
I was in two minds but have seen so many posts on FB today of my friends who have cycled (mountain biking not just a quick 20 mins on a cycle path) as their daily exercise that it makes me think riding is surely no different.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I've been teaching my boys lateral work in walk, in hand & ridden which is something new for them. I'm also hoping to take them out for a walk in hand at the weekend when my husband is available. Faster work is done via loose schooling (I can't really lunge because of their joint issues). Anyway the variety is keeping them (and me) going physically and mentally and I'm trying to keep everything as low risk as possible.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I feel like this is the time the thoroughbreds that we’re usually pulling our hair out trying to put weight on are going to come in to their own...

They’re probably going to be the only ones not fat with no work and spring grass.
My next horse :D