If you re-homed/rescued a dog, where did you get it from?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Late night conversation umming and aahing over whether Bear would benefit from a companion. Typically, I sway from thinking it’s a great idea to deciding against it. We were thinking older boy. The OH may well have changed his mind this morning. Having one easy dog is a revelation.

SashaBabe

Visit site
We got our German Shepherd, Sasha, from a dog pound in Downpatrick. We had just lost our first "rescue" German Shepherd, Sheba, four days earlier, at the age of 13. I had just got into work early and logged on to the dog pound's website to see what dogs were available. We had absolutely no thought of getting another dog because losing Sheba was so hard and we had said there would be no more and it is heartbreaking when we lose them. Famous last words! I immediately saw a photo of a very sad looking German Shepherd called Susie. She was only 10 months old. I knew immediately that we had to give her a home. I phoned my husband and sons to see how they felt about giving another unwanted dog a home so soon after losing Sheba and they all said we should do it. Husband and son drove to the dog pound and Susie came home to live with us. We changed her name to Sasha (aka Sasha Babe). That was over 10 years ago. She is an absolute sweetheart, but is starting to show her age. Wouldn't be without her.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Rspca but not a main branch, we have a very active local branch who have no kennels (they use a boarding facility if they absolutely have to for a night or 2) who use fosterers for dogs brought in by dog warden.
Usually deal with small dogs, sometimes elderly persons ones when they can no longer keep as well as pick ups etc.
P dog has been with me nearly 6 years now.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ist (Lab dog) was advertised at 1 yr old in the local daily paper. He had been rehomed by the locally well-known and successful in showing, breeder to a couple who worked f/t and lived in a 1st floor flat (!) He upset the neighbours by howling when left alone and damaged the flat. Surprisinglyo_O
2nd (LabxCollie bitch) had been rehomed by RSPCA, to a family whose Dad was a lorry driver, she went with him daily. Then he changed his job, so she was advertised in the local daily paper.
3rd one had been taken in by a family that lived close to the school where I worked, when she was abandoned, tied to a lamp-post outside their gate. Then the family relocated and couldn't take her or the cat with them, so they both came to us.
4th was a Rottweiler who was removed by a friend from a house where she was fastened to a radiator for most of the day. Friend lived a flat and worked f/t. He brought her to visit us as much as possible from being 5 month sold. Then he was going to be working away for at least a month, so it was decided that she should live with us and the pack.
We have only ever had 1 dog (LabxGSD bitch) who has been happier living on her own than with other dogs.

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve rehomed 2 (not rescued, because they came from good homes). I’ve also done similar with a Burmese cat.

The dogs were either a direct friend, or a friend of a friend. The cat was via a contact I made to breeder.

All animal pure breeds and with the breeders for commercial reasons - breeding/showing/working and for whatever genuine reason weren’t quite good enough to keep and needed rehoming as pets.

Ive had 3 lovely animals from this. Each one was for the cost of neutering.

Jenko109

Visit site
Gumtree.....

Little lurcher. About 2 years old. Had been owned by a young girl who had gotten pregnant and just left the dog locked away.

Not an ounce of muscle on her. Couldnt go off lead for quite some time as she would try to run a circle and would just fall over. Im not convinced the dog had ever been walked in her life.

L&M

Visit site
My last 2 were 're homers'

My lab had been on a puppy farm, and had had back to back litters by 3 yrs old. A friend managed to get her out of there and we re homed here from there. She was a very well bred working lab, but unfortunately gun shy, and somehow ended up in that awful situation, and was very nervous and introverted when we first had her, but she turned out to be an amazing dog and totally transformed over the years and was with us until she got cancer at 14 yrs. God I loved that dog.....

The other one was a spaniel x collie that came from a good friend of mine, who sadly died of breast cancer, and i promised I would adopt her. She was a poppet too and made it to 15 yrs.

If you are after a specific breed it is always worth looking up breed rescue websites.

Good luck in your search!

Chiffy

Visit site
I have always had a rescue dog along with my chosen pedigree breed. The best one I ever had came through heathlands.org.uk. It is based near Royston , Herts. All dogs in foster, no kennels. You have to ring and leave a message, no good responding on facebook. I had my lovely girl for 15 years.
My latest rescue came from Black retriever x rescue…..they don’t just have black retrievers!
Thistle on here is something to do with Spaniel Aid rescue.

fankino04

Visit site
Ashkii was from the RSPCA ( there was a bit of fibbing about my working hours in order to be allowed him), noodle was from Alaskan malamutes rescue UK, but not a rescue as such as she was rehomed direct from her owners ( who had her since 8 weeks but gave her up as having a baby ?)

deb_l222

Visit site
1st one (border terrier x) Bonnie was from Thornberry rescue at Dinnington near Sheffield
Then the next 25+ springer spaniels were from South Yorkshire Springer Spaniel Rescue (probably need to do a full count one day)
I had 1 JRT in between (Pip) who came via my friend's kennels
Then Rufus and Button were a pair for a long, long while before Willow joined from aforementioned friend
Then Chester from Rehoming Cyprus Pointers, which has been a radical departure for me, rescuing from abroad but he's been an absolute joy and him and Willow adore each other

They have an older boy that I've been tempted to foster but I've got my sister's working cocker staying for Christmas so don't really want to be back up to four dogs :eek:

I would possibly have kept Willow on her own, when I lost Rufus and Button but she was so obviously missing canine company. She had to have a friend :)

Clodagh

Visit site
If he’s happy and settled I’d stick with one.
Spaniel Aid are very expensive, IMO
RATS can’t be that far from you.
I’d look on preloaded/gumtree, there must be so many dogs who need a home, that’s where mum got hers.
Local vets often know about possibilities.
I know you didn’t ask all that! We were generally just given our terriers, through word of mouth.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have two rehomed cats one rescue cat from the local shelter .
I have a rescue Lurcher literally rescued in that we found it injured in a ditch at the side of the road took it to the vets and then my parents had her until they died and then she came to me .

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Depending on where you are, I know of a black labrador looing for a home? I think he's about 5/6.

We’re in South Herts. We’re very much initial thoughts stage, my OH mentioned it out of the blue yesterday.

If he’s happy and settled I’d stick with one.
Spaniel Aid are very expensive, IMO
RATS can’t be that far from you.
I’d look on preloaded/gumtree, there must be so many dogs who need a home, that’s where mum got hers.
Local vets often know about possibilities.
I know you didn’t ask all that! We were generally just given our terriers, through word of mouth.

Don’t want to touch Spaniel Aid after that woman bloody harassed me for putting up a pic of a potential re-home.

Dunno what RATS is, I’ll search it.

Not currently talking to the vets after the stupid woman told me he was going to die and had an aggressive tumour then when I told her it had disappeared, promptly told me it had been a blocked salivary gland, no apology for making me think he was dying and the sheer distress we’ve undergone since her snap diagnosis-no biopsy, I might add! Salivary gland wasn’t even mentioned last week.

Gumtree occurred to me, but I’d be concerned about the origins/history. The last thing I want is a dog with issues.

Clodagh

Visit site
In that case the lab dizzysocks mentioned might be more suitable, although I didn’t think you were very keen on them.
Heathlands and RATS both rescue from abroad, I think.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
In that case the lab dizzysocks mentioned might be more suitable, although I didn’t think you were very keen on them.
Heathlands and RATS both rescue from abroad, I think.

Yup, pointer style probably foreign. I’d rather not rescue from abroad, tbh.

Unfortunately labrador is in Scotland, so probably not a goer anyway. I hope you find something!

You never know, I’m in Newcastle tomorrow (if I don’t cough up my actual lungs, bloody cold!)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We’re in South Herts. We’re very much initial thoughts stage, my OH mentioned it out of the blue yesterday.

Don’t want to touch Spaniel Aid after that woman bloody harassed me for putting up a pic of a potential re-home.

Dunno what RATS is, I’ll search it.

Not currently talking to the vets after the stupid woman told me he was going to die and had an aggressive tumour then when I told her it had disappeared, promptly told me it had been a blocked salivary gland, no apology for making me think he was dying and the sheer distress we’ve undergone since her snap diagnosis-no biopsy, I might add! Salivary gland wasn’t even mentioned last week.

Gumtree occurred to me, but I’d be concerned about the origins/history. The last thing I want is a dog with issues.

I'd be looking for a new vet surgery! Small animal vets are 10 a penny round here ,a surgery on practically every corner.