If you're selling a horse, please have manners!

JHC

Visit site
I am still absolutely speechless at what has happened earlier today.

I set off with a friend to view a broodmare, however not knowing the area we got completely lost. So I contacted the seller (by text as little signal) to have a polite message.

However 10 minutes later I started getting bombared with messages, so my friend took my phone and sent a texting asking if she wanted to change the day if she couldn't wait etc...

I found a road that I knew so headed in the direction of the town she lived in.

I then got a text saying "don't bother, you're a timewaster". So my friend apologised and said we were on our way but still a while off. The reply was "you're an a*sehole" then shortly followed by a "I'd keep her than hand her over to someone like you".

At this point I headed home. When I checked my Facebook she had written all over it, including my name, that I'm a timewaster etc...

Now I don't normally get angry but this has really annoyed and upset me. I don't want people thinking I'm a timewaster when I just got lost trying to find the yard!

Now other people have seen her status and commented, it's almost tainting my name. She's deleted me after I commented on the status so I can't see what she's writing.

Elsiecat

Visit site
The childish me would put adverts on preloved, gumtree, freeads and on my facebook stating what a rude cow she is..

The *mature* me would ignore her and if anybody asks, inform them of the truth. She's clearly a brick short of a load! Sounds like your friend had a lucky escape, she couldn't ever have trusted a seller like this! :eek:

sandi_84

Visit site
Didn't want to read and run but the seller sounds mental! :cool:
It's a shame you went to all that effort and due to an honest reason didn't make the appointed time but that's no reason for her to be so rude about it! I would have thought any normally functioning person would have offered directions or even to come lead you to her yard instead of throwing abuse at you :(

ZoeCharlotte

Visit site
Sounds like she's barking, to be honest. Might've had a couple of experiences with people not turning up before but that's no excuse for her being so utterly rude when you were lost! I would be very tempted to go along the same route as Elsiecat with the ads but I think it's just another experience to remember and get past. Absolute pain of a seller!

JHC

Visit site
The childish me would put adverts on preloved, gumtree, freeads and on my facebook stating what a rude cow she is..

The *mature* me would ignore her and if anybody asks, inform them of the truth. She's clearly a brick short of a load! Sounds like your friend had a lucky escape, she couldn't ever have trusted a seller like this! :eek:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought about doing this!

perfect11s

Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought about doing this!
Just be carefull Ive been selling and the amount of timewaster/idiot/potless mongs you have to deal with is unbeliveable so maybe she is a nut job or just had enough and is rocking back and forward with her head in her hands after trying to be nice to total idiots and getting hit in the face so to speak:D

Elsiecat

Visit site
We rang a few breeders last year when looking for a pup. One woman answered the phone. She explained all were reserved except 2. One sounded exactly what we wanted. The right sex, colour, etc. She explained that someone was coming the next day so this puppy may be reserved then depending on what the viewers wanted. We then asked if we could come up the same night instead. To which she shrieked 'but its nearly 6pm!!!!!' And slammed the phone down!!! She was only about 35 minutes away!

Another breeder said we could come up and view. We asked for her postcode to which she tutted and said 'but I live on a farm don't be so stupid!!!! It's not like being in the city'. We don't live in the city either..

Think we must have been attracted to the nutters!

We gave up searching.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
While I agree the seller was rude and is now behaving very badly, I must ask why you didn't plan your route before you set off? I can't read a map properly to save my life (I got lost on a le trec, in an area I know well :eek:) I have to drive for work quite a lot, and so either use a sat nav, or AA route planner and print off the maps and the directions, makes getting about much less stressful. :)

Asha

Visit site
Just be carefull Ive been selling and the amount of timewaster/idiot/potless mongs you have to deal with is unbeliveable so maybe she is a nut job or just had enough and is rocking back and forward with her head in her hands after trying to be nice to total idiots and getting hit in the face so to speak:D

^^^ This

Ive had so many excuses its unreal. Gone from 1 day - I want your horse, keep her for me shes just amazing, everything i could ever wish for blah blah blah. To within a day sorry situation changed, my long lost aunty from outer mongolia isnt very well so i cant etc etc. then instead of relatives becoming suddenly ill, they are now actually dying !! Then received texts from seriously weird people.
Im actually thinking of adding a health warning to my advert, explaining that once interested in my horse you will experience unbelievable bad luck/health issues etc etc.

I dont know how, but have so far managed to remain polite. Maybe its the drink !

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
The amount of times AA ha failed me is u believable so even with the best intentions people still get lost.

I'd just ignore her. Nowt stranger than folk!!

JHC

Visit site
While I agree the seller was rude and is now behaving very badly, I must ask why you didn't plan your route before you set off?
I had a satnav but it died on me and couldn't find the charger lead. I texted the seller at this point stating I was lost but little signal meant the text didn't go through for a while, so I continued driving the way I thought I should have been going.

I do understand that sellers do get a lot of timewaster, I've been there myself, but to send rude texts and then write all over facebook about it I find very unprofessional and just something you just don't do.

WandaMare

Visit site
She sounds completely barking, don't take any of it personally. She'll be over it tomorrow. Noone with any sense will think worse of you because of what she's put on Facebook, they'll just think what a weirdo! I would anyway.

wench

Visit site
When I was about 15, I rang up in reply to an advert for a rabbit for sale (the breed I used to show). Chap answered the phone and he said something along the lines of thanks for the call would you mind ringing me back tomorow after 9. Can't remember what had happened, but he was up to his eyes in sonething or had a guest.

Dully called the next evening, let's say about 930, which isn't an unreasonable time. He picked the phone up, I said about rabbit etc, he then replied with something like what F*ucking time do you call this, I told you to ring before 9, my wife is busy with our baby...

Couldn't believe he was coming out with this to someone who was fairly young (it really shocked me anyone could be so rude). Think I just put the phone down, as I didn't want to meet that nutter in real life

mandwhy

Visit site
Good lord I have got lost looking for almost every yard I have been to to view a horse, 9/10 times there's no signal, no signposts and definitely no internet to look at maps on my phone. Pretty sure I was about 45 mins late to view my mare. I had driven 4 hours! What a horrible rude woman!! Not much you can do I guess, if you go to enquire about a horse and someone mentions it all you can do is put them straight.

risky business

Visit site
I did the same thing viewing a horse!

Got hideously lost despite getting all the instructions all printed out! :eek: Was about half hour late when the owner txt me a rather rude message, despite me letting her know I had lost my way.. When I finally arrived and told her how lost I had been she looked rather embarrassed and apologised and I did in fact buy her horse :D

twobearsarthur

Visit site
Not just horses my husband emailed a motorbike seller offered the seller the asking price sight unseen asked the seller to call back or email him a number so he could arrange to pick it up. Got an email back saying yeah great but no telephone number. After numerous emails he received another from the seller saying sorry already sold it. Thought that was odd but it did get stranger that the same motorbike was readvertised later that day only this time "free to a good home"?!?!? We obviously were not a good enough home for the bike wanting it to live out 24/7 :)

diamonddogs

Visit site
Yes, I've had a few days out looking at horses that were only supposed to be a couple of hours away!

Eventually I got so fed up with the massive areas postcodes cover I'd arrange to call ahead when the satnav got me close-ish, as soon as I found a reasonable landmark to tell the seller about! And that's not always easy when you're looking for farms and yards in the middle of December when there's no grass and the trees are bare!

Thank goodness for Google Street View - at least you can print out pictures of the area to take with you these days!

Shutterbug

Visit site
The world is full of weird and wonderful people who think its perfectly ok to take their frustration and anger out on complete strangers they have never met, so long as its over the phone or by text - 99% of them wouldn't raise their voices to you face to face. It is completely unacceptable to treat someone like this, no matter how many time wasters they have had or how many "less than bright" individuals they have spoken to - it shows a lack of self control and extremely poor manners and I for one would not purchase an animal from someone who treated me with such disregard

Funkyfilly024

Visit site
I'm looking to buy at the moment and get so frustrated by people trying to sell but getting rude when you ask for basic vital info that they have omitted like age or getting arsey because you explain that you would like to see a good side on picture (more than head!) to get an idea of confo before you commit to viewing.

Honestly I really do wonder the amount of people that seem to think they can sit back and chill and turn down people like yourself while offers will come flooding in!! It's a buyers market after all at the moment.

HBM1

Visit site
I have had three viewings since at my new yard. It is not easy to find if using satnav so i always email directions and a map that i draw little arrows on. Two lots have still got lost for half an hour. I wouldn't dream of telling them to forget it. Very rude. Surely too, timewasters wouldn't text. I would take a map next time though, it was a little disorganised not to have a satnav charger etc.

pixie

Visit site
Whenever I have people coming to view my yard I always give them the post code and tell them to look it up on googlemaps as the arrow points directly to the house. Its in a small hamlet with only a couple of houses and I always tell them to look for our barn as you can see it from the road coming from either direction and its the only one in the area. Yet the amount of people who arrive late after getting lost...
Don't people keep maps in the cars anymore?

SaharaS

Visit site
On the other foot... i was inudated with numpty /scary buyers as some of you will remember...it was sheer hell & I am not selling for the pure fun of it, simply trying to reduce numbers for health reasons and deary me half the stresses some have added I question is it trully worth the hassle..that said, I have a lovely proven broodmare you might be interested in OP, youngster can be seen too & I'm more likely to be happy if you are a little late/lost as I usually have a truckfull of selling therapy cakes that require attention to alleviate the stress of scary new people!!:D Pm me if you like

Spring Feather

Visit site
My farm is incredibly easy to find. Most people over estimate the time it will take them to get here so most buyers generally arrive early. I have had a few people 'get lost' (how, I have absolutely no idea!) and I've heard of every excuse in the book as to why they couldn't come or why they are late. Tbh it doesn't bother me as I'm at home and can get on with doing other things. Was the sellers horse at home or did she have to go to the livery yard to wait for you? The FB stuff is silly, but maybe she was frustrated by you and others not coming when they said they would? The vast majority of people where I live have GPS so they know how long it will take and are given instruction at every intersection. You not having your GPS charged and setting off without your charger is something I never do, but I'm a very organized person and hate, hate, hate being late for anything!

Elsiecat

Visit site

What I don't understand about maps is, if you get incredibly lost, like down a maze of country lanes, how do you locate yourself on a map?
Or do you just drive until you can find a landmark?

Luckily I have a great sense of direction and rarely get lost, but when I do - I get lost for hours :eek:

pixie

Visit site
What I don't understand about maps is, if you get incredibly lost, like down a maze of country lanes, how do you locate yourself on a map?

Luckily I have a great sense of direction and rarely get lost, but when I do - I get lost for hours :eek:

You can usually find a signpost to the nearest village. Once you're there, its pretty straightforward to reorientate yourself,

perfect11s

Visit site
Whenever I have people coming to view my yard I always give them the post code and tell them to look it up on googlemaps as the arrow points directly to the house. Its in a small hamlet with only a couple of houses and I always tell them to look for our barn as you can see it from the road coming from either direction and its the only one in the area. Yet the amount of people who arrive late after getting lost...
No !!!they are totaly reliant on a prat nav, the kids watch dvds never looking out to see where they are and learning about the real world andso most young adults are totaly unaware of geography now!!! god knows what would happen if the GPS satilites fail...

fatpiggy

Visit site

If I get lost I just look for the nearest line of pylons and see if I can spot them on the map - no-one is ever far from a pylon! Many farm names are shown too. I buy quite a bit via Ebay and often drive to collect the item. I google map it first, then google street view and look for really recognisable things like churches, or a row of shops, even the road markings can help. Many people don't have clearly -+visible house numbers on their doors so I find the actual house on street view and make sure I can recognise it by eg. the car, what they have in the front garden. I don't want satnav and don't ever trust it anyway - once as a passenger the satnav was insisting we turned down a road which was clearly bollarded at the bottom. It got really shirty when we drove past the turning!

_daisy_

Visit site
Silly woman. Just ignore her.
Ive had the opposite recently. Had a viewing of 1 of my horses on sunday. Friend rode her for me, then potential buyer, then her friend, then potential buyer got back on for a hack out! Sunday night she agrees a price for horse and tack and says will ring back later to arrange collection time. No responce no calls texts etc then random text on tuesday saying she thinks my horse will be too big for her when shes back in full work! Good job my friend is dealing with the sale or I couldve sent her a few choice words.