Ifor Williams Eventa

Shoei

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm eyeing up, and pricing up (much to husbands dismay) a new Ifor Eventa.

Does anyone have one, any recommendations or advice?

I'm looking to get the L version but the Base model as I'm not keen on the live in layout. We would then get a local firm to make the furniture for live in so any recommendations on what you would have in there too. There is only me to think of but I do like quite a bit of seating, for hosting :)

Thanks
Shoei

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
First things first. Can you load your horse in an Eventa and then turn it round in the very tight available space for travel? The horse (this is a manufacturers pic) is then jammed in against the tack locker.

I looked over one very carefully at Badminton or Burghley. It’s a no from me. ETA Do a search on here re Eventas, they have been discussed on HHO before :).

1CA28319-6561-40D9-A99F-BF3EAE68E5DB.jpeg

MrPerkins

Visit site
First things first. Can you load your horse in an Eventa and then turn it round in the very tight available space for travel? The horse (this is a manufacturers pic) is then jammed in against the tack locker.

I looked over one very carefully at Badminton or Burghley. It’s a no from me. ETA Do a search on here re Eventas, they have been discussed on HHO before :).

I see this description quite frequently - while I see the problem with getting them in there and turned around (and can't for the life of me imagine how you would do that!), everyone always mentions that they stand against the tack locker - but isn't that the case with lots of lorries? Is it a problem? I'm sure I've seen plenty where the horse stands against an inset part with their head and haynet over the top of it.

(If the answer is 'yes, and it's not good!' then fair enough!)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yes, and it's an issue if they decide to put their feet on it :p.
yeah which seems to be quite a common occurrence. Tack lockers are so convenient but I am glad I don't have any, it's one less thing to worry about. I would quite like OH to put on into a non-horse area but i suspect the answer is going to be NOPE :p

can you order the eventa without the locker, esp if you're already getting other stuff fitted out independently?

Last edited:

Shoei

Visit site

View attachment 37657
As he managed to turn himself around in our forward facing it shouldn't be a problem 😁

Shoei

Visit site
You can get the L without the locker. I hadn't thought it would be a problem to be honest, knowing most lorries have them, but it is definitely something I'll consider having seen these posts.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
When I’m considering making a major purchase like this I try to hire before I buy. You don’t want to buy one untried and then find that the horse hates it :oops:. I don’t know whereabouts you live, but this dealer in NW England is very helpful. If they have a second hand Eventa in, which they did when I was up there earlier this year, they may hire it out to you and then knock the hire price off the cost of a new one if you go on to buy one from them. You can only ask. (They offered to do the same for me with one of the new Ifor HBX trailers).

https://www.barlowtrailers.co.uk/Ifor-Williams-Eventa-L-Horse-Trailer-with-Living

Annagain

Visit site
We tried our boys in one just out of curiosity as an acquaintance has one. One 17hh in 7' rugs (and a long neck) and one 16.3hh (short neck for his size) in 6'9" rugs. M could barely turn round to face the right way and his nose was pressed right against the window with his neck bent at a very acute angle. His chest was right up against the tack locker. A just about fitted but didn't look comfy. I should add there are very few lorries M fits on and he can't go on one with tack lockers so it's not limited to the Eventa but it does seem narrower than lorries. Although the build quality is questionable, the layout of an Equitrek is much better for big horses.

Shoei

Visit site
We tried our boys in one just out of curiosity as an acquaintance has one. One 17hh in 7' rugs (and a long neck) and one 16.3hh (short neck for his size) in 6'9" rugs. M could barely turn round to face the right way and his nose was pressed right against the window with his neck bent at a very acute angle. His chest was right up against the tack locker. A just about fitted but didn't look comfy. I should add there are very few lorries M fits on and he can't go on one with tack lockers so it's not limited to the Eventa but it does seem narrower than lorries. Although the build quality is questionable, the layout of an Equitrek is much better for big horses.

Thanks for that... do you know if it was and M or L trailer you tried?

Shoei

Visit site
It's actually the head bend in the picture above that most bothers me, why not keep the partitions straight?
To be honest, I did wonder if you could work it so you had them in straight and cross tied them? If you could get suitable breast bars made, maybe, if the worst came and he didnt like it.

Shoei

Visit site
To be honest, I did wonder if you could work it so you had them in straight and cross tied them? If you could get suitable breast bars made, maybe, if the worst came and he didn't like it.

Oh i see what you mean now, the fact that the partition bends at an angle where to attaches to the wall. I believe you can keep these straight and as I would only ever be travelling 1 in the L (the photo shows the M which I believe is the same width but shorter), I think he could be at more of and angle and have plenty of space.

Annagain

Visit site
Thanks for that... do you know if it was and M or L trailer you tried?
It was the L. We tried them both in it together though as that's what we'd need to do. You could possibly angle the partitions a bit more if it was only one to give you a bit more length but the initial turning round to get to that position could be a problem with a long horse.

Shoei

Visit site
I'm not too worried about turning space as he's only 16hh and seems to be able to turn quite tightly, as I discovered when he turned around in my forward facing. Might be something to think about with a new horse though but I wouldn't likely get something much bigger.