i'm a little annoyed and feeling used

3BayGeldings

Visit site
(QR Aren't you worried at all that the sharer might come on this site and read all this?
blush.gif
)

diggerbez

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think anything nasty has been said. Sounds like your sharer does have a very good deal getting to ride a horse everyday and only paying for its shoes! Maybe you should speak to your sharer and say you want to look after and ride your TB yourself 2-3days a week and state which days those will be so there is no confusion?

I've just started letting a friend ride my mare on Thursdays and she will muck out etc so I dont need to go to the stables but I wont be giving up more days than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP is that all your sharer pays for shoes every 5 weeks and the occasional bag of feed??? is there nothing else she pays for?? Or helps you with???

[/ QUOTE ]

i have said a few times that she's helped me loads with jobs and doing the horses when i've been away and i'm really grateful for that...however she said a few weeks ago that she's really busy with work so that has stopped too. she paid for his saddle to be refitted but pretty much every month its just some feed and the shoes oh and the odd rug or whatever she has chosen to buy for him. i definitely pay livery and insurance which are the big drains. i'm finding it upsetting as its getting to the stage where i'm that broke i might have to sell the horse which would be heartbreaking for me
frown.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
(QR Aren't you worried at all that the sharer might come on this site and read all this?
blush.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't like her to read it no because it would be upsetting and i really wouldn't want that but then i haven't said anything nasty or untrue and i really needed some help and reassurance in what do to...haven't been sleeping for days trying to work out a solution in my head....
confused.gif

Equus Leather

www.virtualdressage.co.uk
I think she was put out when you let someone else ride the horse, which is why you've not seen her since then.

You need to talk to her face to face and resort out the boundries. She'll either agree or not. Tell her you want to formalise the agreement.

quirky

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think she was put out when you let someone else ride the horse, which is why you've not seen her since then.

You need to talk to her face to face and resort out the boundries. She'll either agree or not. Tell her you want to formalise the agreement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I agree
smile.gif
It sounds to me she is aggrieved that somebody else has ridden. I reckon she's disappeared off the scene to teach you that you can't manage without her ..... but I am the worlds worst cynic
tongue.gif

I'd be getting rid of her personally .... horses are to be enjoyed .... if there is something that is making it stressful, get rid of that stress point
laugh.gif
..... unless it is the horse itself of course
blush.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Pedantic

Visit site
Very bad manners not to let you know she wasnt comeing, I wouldn't expect someone with proper flu to be able to get out of bed, that is fair enough, but she should let you know when she is and isn't coming.

_OC_

Visit site
I don't think your post was demeaning in any 'shape or form' all you where looking for was advice on how to deal with situation that you don't want to get out of hand!
frown.gif

TBH I think the post came across as quite pleasant and understanding,and for the record I think she should have text that she would be laid up for awhile,and she would be in touch as soon as she was feeling better.......Erm,I often wonder if this is a Country of free speech,with out being sued!
Good Luck with it all.......I'm sure you will sort it!
smile.gif

Dubsie

Visit site
Seems a communication problem, so you're going to have to talk.
Why don't you offer her first refusal should you decide to sell him? Seems the logical thing - you'd gain some capital, recoup the costs of keep - and sharer gets her own horsie, you'd know he was going to get on well with his new owner.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
OP I often post on here to run things through with other people who are impartial, it helps to balance things when you are so emotionally involved.

I don't think that you have sounded nasty or ungrateful at all, just worried that you are going to upset your sharer and unsure on how to broach the subject.

I hope it goes well talking to her today xx

Kenzo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to have a chat with her and just tell her exactly what you just told us. Honesty is always the best policy, as long as you are tactful and not nasty at all, but firm.

If it's worked pretty well until recently maybe things just need making clear again and boundaries need re-instating.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^ this, if she's nice enough lady just have a chat with her and draw up an agreement, I'm sure if she enjoys your horse that much that she will be willing to flexible more to your needs.
smile.gif

The_snoopster

Visit site
I had something very similar happen to me and my person just wanted to keep their hand in horses a few times a week , it turned into everyday. In the end my loaner bought my horse as i decided what was the point in me keeping the horse as i never did anything with him and my loaner never contributed a penny, i never asked for any as it was not supposed to be an everyday thing. As for your arrangement invite her for a coffee and biscuit sit down and talk about what each other want from your horse everything can be sorted out easily doing that.

lexiedhb

Visit site
Im a sharer! I think you have allowed this woman to use your horse everyday, so really you only have yourself to blame for that. I would tell her the next time you see her, that if she wants to use the horse everyday, then she needs to pay you more as "techincally" its almost a loan agreement- but this is down to you, its your horse you make the rules.

If she really does have flu, then yes a text to say she wont be down for the foreseeable would of been nice, but the only time I had flu I wouldnt of been able to focus long enough to send a text!!!!

If by next week she still hasnt contacted you then PHONE her..... and see what the situation is......

chocolate86

Visit site
diggerbez I maybe you need to give your sharer a week to recover from flu and sit her down, explain that costs are high for your horse and that you are now looking for a contribution towards costs e.g. half livery and half feed or a nominal amount but say you do appreciate how much time she has spent with your horse so you dont want her to just go if she cant afford it but that maybe she will have to limit her days so you can get another sharer to help cover costs or ride horse more yourself. i had a sharer who loved my previous horse, she was a single mum, on low wages, just about managed to give me £10/week her daughter used to come up with her, they would turn up at random sometimes on top of her set days just to fuss him and give him treats, she was fantastic and we got on really well, she lost her job and could barely afford petrol to get to him as she had been fantastic and I was going back to uni so my funds were a bit tighter. I was totally honest with her and she could have a set day every week to come up and ride, I then got another sharer so she couldnt just turn up at random any longer, which I made clear but she totally understood this and it worked out until I sold the horse. I don't know if it helps but thought id share the story, lots of us horse owners have sharers and sometimes theres tough times but if both parties are willing to be flexible it can work out fine.

diggerbez

Visit site
ok folks thanks for advice...agree its totally my own fault for letting it get to this stage and not saying something sooner but we all make mistakes!
smirk.gif
smile.gif

have rung her and left a message saying i realise she clearly isn't happy and would like to have a chat about it and reach a solution that everyone is happy with and sorry to ring when she was ill... so now will wait to actually speak to her
smile.gif

i don't want her to stop riding him if she enjoys it but if she does want to stop that doesn't bother me either!
confused.gif

Mithras

Visit site
I suspect you are having this feelings because she is taking advantage of you a bit, and that you are discussing it on here because you find it a bit hard to talk to her. Possibly because she is older and she is sort of setting the rules, when it is you, as owner of the horse who should be.

What you should do is re-negotiate the agreement, which has changed into more riding for her since it was first verbally set up, and put the new agreement in writing. Paying for shoes and the odd bag of feed, and indeed being reliable over that is taking advantage. Making a set monthly contribution would probably be better.

I wouldn't listen to any comments from her along the lines of she is doing you a favour because the horse is getting ridden - unless she is a professional or semi professional level of rider, I would hold no truck with that at all. And a keen teenager might be just as good, if not better. If she had to pay for riding lessons, she could be paying around £25 a week for one hour, so even if you charged her £100 a month, it would still be a good idea for her. As for not turning up with no notice when she had the flu, well if it was her own horse, she would have to make arrangements and let people know, so I don't see it as an excuse - we've all been in the same boat before and haven't abandoned our horses.

And to the person who thought you shouldn't have posted - I think it is you who has made the issue of it, not the OP, and I hope you don't interfere any further in the OP's business so as to make it more difficult with her to work things out with her sharer. Sometimes when you know someone on here, if its not adversarial, its better to take a step back and not become involved.

BayJosie

Visit site
If she's ill she's ill. she should have text you or phoned you end of.

what about when we are ill? do we just forget about our horses and let them go un rugged and starving? No, we have to make other arrangements for them.

Just chat to her when she is feeling better.

lexibell

Visit site
Me too Kezz, I think apart form planned holidays Ive only twice had to ask someone else to do him.

I would be mad if it was my horse! a quick text or call is more than reasonable to expect, what if you hadnt have been down that evening? Maybe Im over dramatic but anything could have happened and besides that the poor boy would have been stuck out all night!

I think you need to sit this lady down and speak very plainly about what you expect and who takes responsibility for what because quite frankly shes getting a damn good deal and taking advantage if you ask me, Sorry for ranting but It annoyed me!! Going to sit quietly in the corner now and breath
smile.gif

Kat

Visit site
I think you should let the flu thing go, it could easily be a misunderstanding or mistake. Maybe she thought her text meant she'd be out for a while and would let you know when she's better. Or maybe she is in bed and slept through. Inconvenient for you but I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

Once she is better you need to have a proper talk, there are several issues. Maybe she feels like you are taking advantage of her. I can see that maybe she is thinking that she is riding him more and more because you don't have time, she maybe thinks she is actually helping. Maybe she is getting to the point where she thinks that she is putting in all this time and effort and energy and it isn't even her horse. Perhaps taking those feelings into account and the fact that she is contributing financially you can understand that she might feel a bit narked if you let someone else have a "free" ride.

I'm not saying she is right but I've been a sharer, and I've felt pretty undervalued myself.

I think you need to decide for yourself what is your ideal outcome. Maybe you would be better if she took on all or more of the horses expenses in return for more freedom with the horse. Or maybe a set three days unless you arrange a swap would suit better. Or maybe you actually don't want to share. Examine your needs and motives and see if you can agree something. If it has generally been working up to now then it would be a shame if it all fell through due to a misunderstanding.

Good Luck

Sparklet

Visit site
I dont understand why you are only taking a contribution from your sharer....surely if she makes use of the horse half the week she should be paying for half the costs.

In your shoes I would explain to her that she needs to take on full loan or half loan (including the right proportion of the costs). You also need to have her understand that if you elect to take on another sharer to take on the other half of the horse you will.

Sounds like you are paying most of the bills, doing most of the work for very little in return.

ldlp111

Visit site
im sort of in same boat i have a sharer who is twice my age and i find it hard to say dont do it that way or whatever, because she assumes because shes older shes wiser etc and usually just laughs when i say anything.

i dont think you have in anyway said anything which should upset the sharer if she read this, i too would be abit annoyed if she didnt txt back etc.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Headless horsewoman your post makes a lot of sense and I totally agree with you. Especially the part about getting something in writing as this is something that I am going to do. That way everyone knows exactly what is expected of them, regarding financial contribution, day to day care of the horse and the amount of days/hours riding available to each individual.
Katt your post does not make sense at all. Yes I could truly understand if the sharer paid for everything but she does not, according the OP. As for the time and effort being put into the horse by the sharer, it was their choice to do that! If the sharer was put out by someone having a ‘free’ ride so bleeding what in my opinion. The owner is struggling to find the time to ride the horse ( I know the feeling when you have more than one and have other tasks that take you away from spending time with your horses) and so this person who rode the horse that day was in effect riding with the OWNER’S permission and since the owner has the legal and moral obligation to ride their own horse at any given time ( unless previously agreed with other concerned individuals) then she also has the right to allow someone else to ride the horse in her place. If this were me though and this became a regular event that another person (same person all the time, not a number of people) rode the horse instead of the owner and the other sharer didn’t want to take on a full loan of the horse then I would ask the other rider for a contribution or help towards jobs in return for riding and also re-evaluate what the original sharer paid for with a view to reducing their overall costs since that would be fair all round in my opinion. As I don’t think it would be right to continue charging the same cost to a sharer if someone else rode the horse regularly and the other rider just helped with jobs and didn’t pay anything, especially as most sharers do also help with day to day care of the horse as well as the exercising/riding.
With regard to the flu though if it was me in that position then whether I was extremely ill or not I would feel an obligation of duty of care to the horse and the owner and the least I would do is keep them informed as to my well being so that the owner could make other arrangements. Yes we can all be that ill that we can’t manage day to day stuff without feeling absolutely dire but if it was your own horse you would drag yourself out of bed or else get someone else to help. Picking up a mobile and sending one or two texts does not take a great deal of effort.
If you do decide to keep this person on a sharer Diggerbez and not loan them the horse then I would seriously think about having set days that this person helps out and rides, with a view to flexibility of course, but on the whole set days so you each know where you should be on a given day of the week.
Good luck
smile.gif

CBAnglo

Visit site
Agree with BayJosie - no excuse for not letting you know that she wasnt coming down, and there was no need to let the horse's care be compromised by not arranging alternate cover. If it had been one of my horses, who has to be in a very set routine otherwise he stresses, being left out 3 hrs later would have wound him up and he would have jumped the fence and brought himself in. If it had been me, and that had happened and the horse had been injured I would be sending her the vets bill.

In my opinion she has acted very immaturely and selfishly - are you sure she is an adult? I dont think I have been "off sick" a single day at the yard except for when I had chicken pox and was contagious - there were pregnant women and babies at the yard so obviously I couldnt go there for a couple of weeks. Every other time I have gone, with raging temperatures etc or have arranged for someone else to go. That's what you do when you have a responsibility to a horse, whether it is your own or someone else's that you are riding/sharing. If she cant handle that sort of responsibility, then she ought to stick to a riding school.

diggerbez

Visit site
hi folks would just like to report that its all sorted
smile.gif
she's genuinely too busy to do the horse anymore and has been struggling to tell me i think and the flu made her forget to ring (tbf i thought this was the case all along) so horse is now back with me full time but i did say (and i mean this) that she's welcome to come and ride him if she wants once or twice a week
smile.gif

now going to advertise him for part loan i think...and i WILL get a written agreement!
smirk.gif

oh and i told her that i'd put a post on here and that if she did happen to read it i hadn't meant it in a nasty way at all but was trying to figure stuff out on my head and sorry if i have upset her at all...she sounded vaguely amused by this and i think doesn't really care about what is said on forums!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

so its all sorted, we both know where we stand and no-one has fallen out. thanks for the brill advise folks, as usual!
grin.gif

Fantasy_World

Visit site
So glad to hear it's sorted
smile.gif
Also pleased to read that you are going to get something down in writing for the next person who will be part loaning. At least that will save you headaches further down the line. I know it can be a nightmare trying to stretch yourself both in time and finances when you have more than one horse. I know the feeling all too well
frown.gif
It's either a case of having excess funds and working all hours so don't then have the time to be able to enjoy them properly or else having the time and then lacking the funds. There is rarely a happy medium. Getting either sharers or part loaning does help in a lot of ways but at the same time you do lose some of the freedom that you once had with your horses. You can never have it both ways can you. Still I suppose that is part and parcel for us owners who decide to take on more than one horse lol.
Good luck for the future and I hope it all works out for you and your horses x

charliesarmy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif
she's genuinely too busy to do the horse anymore and has been struggling to tell me i think and the flu made her forget to ring (tbf i thought this was the case all along) so horse is now back with me full time but i did say (and i mean this) that she's welcome to come and ride him if she wants once or twice a week
smile.gif

now going to advertise him for part loan i think...and i WILL get a written agreement!
smirk.gif

oh and i told her that i'd put a post on here and that if she did happen to read it i hadn't meant it in a nasty way at all but was trying to figure stuff out on my head and sorry if i have upset her at all...she sounded vaguely amused by this and i think doesn't really care about what is said on forums!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

so its all sorted, we both know where we stand and no-one has fallen out. thanks for the brill advise folks, as usual!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad alls well and ends well and no fall outs....did'nt want to get involved but glad theres a happy outcome
grin.gif
grin.gif

JoJo_

Visit site
I came searching for this post to see if there was a happy ending. Good to hear! Good luck in finding a nice sharer who perhaps contributes more than just shoes and one bag of feed hehe!
smile.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif
smile.gif

smirk.gif

grin.gif
tongue.gif

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad alls well and ends well and no fall outs....did'nt want to get involved but glad theres a happy outcome
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

cheers dude!
cool.gif