I'm confused.....

Bossanova

Visit site
A well know British young rider had an intermediate horse at Springhill yesterday which didnt do all that well.
It was a big chesnut with a white face, definitely a gelding, yet it was competing under the name of a smaller chesnut mare which doesnt have a white face.

Said rider had a couple of horses in the OI too, neither of which are big or chestnut.

The results are listed as it being the mare and tbh, the result doesnt fit with the mare's record. The commentators in sj and xc (it went round straight after me on the xc) called it the mare's name.

Genuine mistake or something dodgy going on?!

If anyone's interested, the pro pics are here, I'm halfway down the page
smirk.gif

http://www.spring08.bpgphotography.co.uk/

BBs

Visit site
Well I guess it could be a mistake, maybe the gelding was swapped for the mare last minute?

I know when Ive had my trainer ride my horse in the past even tho given plenty of notice my name has still be given and commentator use it.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
But how can you mistakenly take the wrong horse with you?
grin.gif

And surely if they announced the wrong name in the SJ, you would try an amend it before the xc (well I would anyway, they have trouble enough with my surname
wink.gif
)

Slightly dodgy maybe? or maybe they were too busy to worry about the names with all their horses that day?!

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well I guess it could be a mistake, maybe the gelding was swapped for the mare last minute?

I know when Ive had my trainer ride my horse in the past even tho given plenty of notice my name has still be given and commentator use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shall keep half an eye on the BE results then and see if it changes....

Joss

Visit site
Possibly a bit dodgy, keep an eye to see if the result gets amended. Seeing as it didnt go that well maybe doesnt matter. But it means that the mystery horse doesnt have a 'not so good' result on its record if it's going to be sold..... I know a few of the well known names have been pulled up before for swapping horses around. They normally claim its an innocent mistake but if they do it too often they will get caught out.

KatB

Visit site
Hmm.... sounds dodgy to me!!!! Doesnt surprise me which rider it is either...

ETA it would make sense to run a "first timer" under a horses name who hasnt got such a good record, so if the first timer makes an error it wont be on its record when it comes to selling it....

seabiscuit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really KB?! I always got the impression that she was all sweet and innocent?!

TBH- this sort of thing must go on all the time. It would be so hard for it not to.

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TBH- this sort of thing must go on all the time. It would be so hard for it not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

She and another lost me and someone I was doing business with a fair amount of money last year.....

SpottedCat

Visit site
It must happen all the time - after all my horse is a 16.2 bay gelding with virtually no white on him, he looks like every other bay gelding out there - not particularly memorable in any meaningful way, it would be so easy to shove something else in under his name.

There was someone a year or two ago banned from BE for some years for having 1 horse reg and riding 5 diff horses on it for a season, can't remember her name.

Whilst it only takes one person to spot you, it must be very profitable if you don't get caught...

seche

Visit site
Could be last minute change over? though im sure one or two riders have rather toooo many 16.2 dark bay geldings that all look too identical to be true!!

seabiscuit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She and another lost me and someone I was doing business with a fair amount of money last year.....

[/ QUOTE ]

No way Boss!! Bang goes my 'aww' impression of her !!
blush.gif

Also - now seriously wary about all these horses she rides/sells for a pretty welll known horse dealer with a verrry expensive horses for sale all with super records....

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No way Boss!! Bang goes my 'aww' impression of her !!
blush.gif

Also - now seriously wary about all these horses she rides/sells for a pretty welll known horse dealer with a verrry expensive horses for sale all with super records....

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, sorry!
Hmmmmm, seems that very few people are totally trustworthy when it comes to making money from horses!

Tanta

Visit site
Well presumably you can just report your concerns to BE? Although as the event are supposed to check passports, not quite sure how a different horse can run, unless they dont do it carefully enough (specially if a gelding instead of a mare)? Although I can see how one bay geldsing can run instead of another...

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Dodgy....It happens . We went to try a horse and were told it had done novice but it was not even registered as they jumped it under another horses name and we know someone who jumps her experienced horse under the name of various youngsters name to get some good results and sell them.
Until they check passports against the horse at the start of each discipline it will carry on happening. They should get a life long ban.

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well presumably you can just report your concerns to BE? Although as the event are supposed to check passports, not quite sure how a different horse can run, unless they dont do it carefully enough (specially if a gelding instead of a mare)? Although I can see how one bay geldsing can run instead of another...

[/ QUOTE ]

Passports rarely get checked at events, and if they do then it is never with the horse in front of you, and I've never seen anyone check the markings, they just check the name matches and the vaccination record is up to date. I have had my passport checked twice in 3 seasons of eventing...so quite feasibly you could present the passport for the entered horse (if by some freak chance they happened to ask for it) and then compete the 'ringer'.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I agree they only look at the passport when you pay starting fee and don't look at the horse at all.I am certain you could ride 3 different horses for the 3 phases and get away with it

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree they only look at the passport when you pay starting fee and don't look at the horse at all.I am certain you could ride 3 different horses for the 3 phases and get away with it

[/ QUOTE ]

They werent checking passports at Spring Hill.

They dont seem to ask questions when the passport isnt the same name as the horse running- we competed an ex-racehorse under a different name to that on is passport and no-one ever commented.

wizoz

Visit site
It could just be a late change to the entry, I did this with Zeb and Boo and it was all wrong! I also know someone who had a horse with the same name as another rider's horse but had numbers at the end of its name and it was listed in the programme under the wrong owner/rider.

I think it's just an error. But it'll be interesting to see what comes out in the wash!

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They werent checking passports at Spring Hill.

They dont seem to ask questions when the passport isnt the same name as the horse running- we competed an ex-racehorse under a different name to that on is passport and no-one ever commented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had the same thing with Winston, he has his eventing name and his ISH registered name.
It was only picked up in 2005 - he had been eventing since 2000 without it ever being picked up.
Just had to get vet to counter sign that both names were the same horse.

SillyMare

Visit site
It is silly - most horses are microchipped now so they wouldn't even need to look at markings to check. It wouldn't even need to be done by a vet (a steward could do an initial check, confirmed by vet if required).

All they would need to do is a check on every tenth horse with very stiff sanctions for anyone found to have the wrong horse / passport combination.

The word would get out soon enough!

mystiandsunny

Visit site
The impression I've had whenever I have been on SJ yards has been that this is a fairly regular thing - borrowing a 'number' to run another horse (one that usually is about to be registered or is just going out to see if it's worth registering it). Prob is the same in BE?

Tanta

Visit site
Well personally if I thought someone was doing this, I would report them to the BE steward at the event, and then it would be their responsibility to check it - and they have certainly given strong penalties in the past if has been discovered - and the names are published by BE. But it is much more effective done on the day, not afterwards as much more difficult to prove. Bit like if you see someone mistreating a horse at an event, you need to report them immediately, not write and compain afterwards. There should be no reason if you report someone that the steward needs to tell them your name if you are worried about any bad feelings it may cause.

AutumnRose

Visit site
Last year at Mattingley we had a spot check in the lorry park by a vet who wanted to check my friends horse against her passport. I also know of someone at Pulborough last year who got into big trouble for trying to use the wrong passport.

Having said that we have picked up the wrong passport once or twice and got away with it. I think the whole process needs to be stricter. Surely it wouldn't be difficult to have a vet do a couple of spot checks at each event. I think if word got around that this happened a lot of people might be put off.

mle22

Visit site
I wouldn't have a chance of getting away with anything like this - riding a very distinctive bright chestnut and white mare!!. Not that I'd try in the first place!!

Saratoga

Visit site
I have no idea who you are talking about!!

I was at BCA in the Spring and a lady came round the lorry park and was spot checking horses against passports. Think this should be done more often, and to everyone, not just the 'non-names' and then people might not be tempted!